Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Toronto pulls ahead of Chicago to become the 4th largest city in North America

Tuesday, Mar. 05 2013

Step aside, Chicago – Toronto’s moving on up.

A city report says Toronto has surpassed Chicago in population and is now the fourth-largest city in North America behind Mexico City, New York, and Los Angeles.

The Economic Dashboard report – which was presented Tuesday at an Economic Development committee meeting – said Statistics Canada recently estimated Toronto’s total population at 2,791,140.

Chicago’s population, according to a 2011 U.S. Census Bureau report, was 2,707,120.

“These population figures are another sign confirming Toronto’s steady growth,” Mayor Rob Ford wrote in a statement. “Toronto is a desirable location for people to live and work. We are attracting people from across North America and other parts of the world.”

The report said Toronto’s population has grown steadily for the last 10 years, at an annual rate of about 38,000 people.

by Anonymousreply 3603/07/2013

We're not far behind, Chicago!

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

R1 - And yet the Chicagoland Metropolitan area is far more important and larger than the Houston Metropolitan area. Houston is a nice city and all, but it's nowhere near as prestigious as Chicago, and even if Houston itself surpasses Chicago's city population, Chicago > Houston.

Stay in your damn lane, Texan...

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

Spoken like someone very threatened by the future, R2.

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

Houston is at 2,145,146. Short of annexation, they aren't catching up any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

Congratulations on the sprawl, Toronto! Toronto thinks population and sprawl makes it a significant city. It's just sprawl with a lot of people. Nothing special. No culture.

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

Chicaco will be a new Detroit in a few years, just wait and see, it's already happening. The population is fleeing and parts of Chicago are starting to look like a ghost town.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

We had as many people as Toronto but they got murdered.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

I agree with R1. Houston annexes new areas like a bitch in heat, and Chicago is in major decline. Houston's economy is continually growing, but Chicago's economy, although larger, is fairly stagnant.

It's only a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

Among urbanized areas Houston ranks 7 in the US behind New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Philadelphia, and Dallas. And that's only because for political reasons, they have broken the San Francisco Bay area into multiple tiny units and kept Baltimore and Washington strictly separated (which they are not in real life). In truth, Houston ranks 9th in the US and 10th in the US and Canada.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

R3 - Nope, not threatened at all. Houstonians are insecure and paranoid about what others think of their city and have a chip on their shoulder about it. The city has great restaurants, museums, and wonderful people, but Chicago it ain't...And I'd live in Houston before I'd live in Chicago, but it's very sprawled out, hot and humid, and somewhat ugly due to the lack of zoning. But I'm pretty sure you heard all that before.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

They've also over-aggregated New York City in that list and under-aggregated Los Angeles. Again for the same political reasons. In truth New York and L.A. are now virtually identical as urban regions.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

You're the one who has written two defensive paragraphs, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

I'd rather live in Toronto than Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

Don't they mean "GTA"? Fuck I hate that expression, and the ugly sprawl it represents.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

Statistical fraud.

In the 2011 Census, Toronto's population was 5,615,060.

In the 2010 U.S. Census, Chicago's population was 2,695,598

In 2011, Chicago's now growing population was estimated at 2,707,120, almost 100,000 more than Toronto's.

The claim that is being made by the Toronto authorities now is that in the last two years they have rocketed ahead of Chicago by adding almost 200,000 people. Is it true? Maybe, but the U.S. is now saying Chicago is growing again too.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

Chicago's population peaked at 3.7 million in 1945. Toronto will never get there.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

Sorry I should have checked that. In the 2011 Census, Toronto's population was 2,615,060.

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

Welcome to the Third World Toronto !

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

So given that Chicago was 100,000 people bigger than Toronto in 2011, I think it unlikely Toronto has passed Chi-town. It will sometime this decade, but not yet.

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

Toronto is, apparently, one of the fastest growing cities on the planet. And, as someone who lives in it, I don't think that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

So within the city limits, Toronto has more people.

In metro area size, Chicago has 9,500,000 and Toronto has 5,500,000.

That's not really close, is it?

Houston metro area is 6,000,000.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

That's in metro area, not the City. The city has had quite modest growth. 2.1 million as of 1991.

by Anonymousreply 2203/05/2013

And the jump from 600,000 to 2 million happened through a merger of six cities in 1998. Before then Toronto was not as big as Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 2303/05/2013

And yet still, Toronto is just so dull.

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

R10 Baltimore and Washington have separate television markets; the Bay Area does not.

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

R25 - True - do people from Baltimore feel a comaraderie with those from DC? I didn't think they did.

I know they're close - 40 miles - but they don't ever seem to be twinned up like cities of similar distances (e.g. Dallas / Ft. Worth).

Then again, San Jose is in the same DMA as San Francisco, but that seems very different.

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

It's clear the Census bureau is trying to cut up California cities to minimize them. It is ludicrous to say Antioch and Livermore are part of San Francisco, but Palo Alto is not. It is ridiculous to get a real L.A. number from Oxnard to Orange County and Riverside (but not including San Diego and Santa Barbara) but then extend New York to include Philadelphia. People in northern Palm Beach County never go to Miami much less Homestead, but they have no problem calling that one area. Hell people in Ft. Lauderdale never go to Miami.

by Anonymousreply 2703/05/2013

Toronto overtook Montreal as Canada's biggest city in the 1980's and it's been growing ever since.

by Anonymousreply 2803/05/2013

[quote]Congratulations on the sprawl, Toronto! Toronto thinks population and sprawl makes it a significant city.

Actually R5 it represents the opposite of sprawl. All of the population growth has been within the city's limits and the evidence of that is in the skyline.

There are currently more high rise buildings under construction in Toronto than in New York and Mexico City *combined*.

by Anonymousreply 2903/05/2013

"City" talk is outmoded and parochial. It's only metropolitan-area populations that mean anything. What's inside city limits matters much less than the entire region, of which a major city is just the historical (and sometimes effectual) center.

The Toronto/Hamilton area has about 6.5 million people at the moment. Chicago's area has about 8.0 million, with another 1.5 million in adjacent metro areas. Of course Chicago's area covers about five times that of Toronto's stretch, but that just underscores that Chicago's extent in every way exceeds that for the over-reaching, boring Canadian burg known as Greater Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 3003/05/2013

I've never found Toronto boring. I miss being near the city. I used to go up and see theater all the time there.

People who complain about a lack of culture in cities like Toronto are usually

a) Paranoid New Yorkers who can't stand hearing about culture in other cities because they think they live in the be-all-end-all of good taste

b) People who never participate in cultural events anyway

by Anonymousreply 3103/05/2013

But, it is full of Canadians, and they only count for 2/3rds of an American, so really it's only like 1.8 million American equivalents.

by Anonymousreply 3203/06/2013

There is no theatre in Toronto. It's just the worst kitsch musicals imported from the US. People who care about theatre expect quality drama and something original. You won't find that in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 3303/06/2013

worst case ontario

by Anonymousreply 3403/06/2013

I guess you dullards haven't read the thread, in which we pretty much established that Toronto has not in fact passed Chicago in population, although it probably will this decade.

Realistically, in comparing metros, you have to include the entire Golden Horsehoe with Toronto if you're going to include both Gary and Kenosha with Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 3503/07/2013

And we really don't give a fuck

by Anonymousreply 3603/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.