Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What are some of the things...

...a man should no longer wear past the age of 35?

by Anonymousreply 6603/07/2013

Look in the mirror, OP.

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

jockstrap or dance belt

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

Mesh muscle shirt

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

Spiked hair, piercings of any kind, message t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

Nothing. Fuck you. Wear whatever you damned well please and I will do the same. K?

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

Short shorts with fringe.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

Training bras

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

a belly button piercing. well, make that all piercings.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

His heart on his sleeve.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

I tend to agree with [R6]

I am always amused by the guy in his 70's wearing the short shorts that men wore when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

Capri pants. Come to think of it, no man should wear Capri pants.

Skinny leg pants.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

I would never date anyone who didn't R11.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

Why not, R5?

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

Depends on how good shape he's in ... however, some general tips -

- Don't wear anything really young and no matter what good shape you are in. It will only make you look older; these clothes actually emphasize your older face. Wear conservative youthful clothes, or age-neutral clothes.

- Don't wear black - it drains your face and makes you older. Wear dark blue or dark brown, depending on your coloring.

- Don't dye your hair yourself. Period. It is so obvious.

- Keep your hair short.

- No make up - it's obvious on men. But you can self-tan if you do it right.

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

Old people with wrinkled necks can minimize that by wearing shirts with collars.

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

[quote]Don't wear anything really young and no matter what good shape you are in.

Applies to women as well, Madonna the Cheerleader

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

T shirt and jeans (Levis only) almost always for me. I'm a writer, so I don't have to worry about an office. A suit for functions. That's about it. Don't care if it's fashionable or not. I'll wear a button up for something, but only if my partner makes me.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

No more colored hankies in your back pocket, you time-warp freak!

by Anonymousreply 2203/05/2013

No more singing all the words in public at a bar when someone plays The Rocky Horrow Picture Show on the jukebox.

by Anonymousreply 2303/05/2013

White Diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 2403/06/2013

I was looking at men's shirts on the Sears website and was surprised to see some of them labeled "young men's shirt." They were mostly bold plaids, but I can't imagine they are appropriate only for young men. This seems to be a stupid decision by Sears. You're in the business of selling goods. Why discourage middle-aged men from buying your shirts?

by Anonymousreply 2503/06/2013

Backwards or sideways facing baseball caps

Skinny jeans

Day-glo color hair dye

by Anonymousreply 2603/06/2013

Pony tails.

by Anonymousreply 2703/06/2013

A baseball cap worn backwards. Nothing says "arrested development" more than that unfortunate fashion statement.

by Anonymousreply 2803/06/2013

Hot pants.

by Anonymousreply 2903/06/2013

bangles and friendship bracelets

by Anonymousreply 3003/06/2013

Gotta love Liberace. He was his own creation.

by Anonymousreply 3103/06/2013

A boy under 25.

by Anonymousreply 3203/06/2013

It all depends what type of body you have and how good a shape you're in. There are 40-year old men who look great in skinny pants as well as 18-yr olds who shouldn't be caught dead in them (go to a mall and get a load of a few of them).

However, I have to agree with the poster who wrote about t-shirts with messages on them - again, depending on the message. But anything that reflects the maturity of a 16-year old should be questioned, as well as anything referential to high school (the Madonna complex - no, not that Madonna syndrome, but the Material Girl).

by Anonymousreply 3303/07/2013

[quote]Don't dye your hair yourself. Period. It is so obvious.

I disagree. You may as well dye your hair yourself and save some money because the roots are going to start showing again on the sides after a week, so the dyeing will be obvious anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3403/07/2013

Leather biker jacket

by Anonymousreply 3503/07/2013

Spectacular pic R29. Thanks for the giggle.

by Anonymousreply 3603/07/2013

Don't dye your hair at all. No matter how well it's done (and even when it's done at the finest salon it's still obvious) it makes you look uncomfortable in your own skin.

by Anonymousreply 3703/07/2013

Love the pic at R29. The difference between Liberace and most guys wearing ridiculous things is that most guys think they're getting away with it.

by Anonymousreply 3803/07/2013

I agree with R7 -- wear whatever you damn well want.

by Anonymousreply 3903/07/2013

R37 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 4003/07/2013

I watch the Following every week. Kevin Bacon is nearly 55 and has brown/blonde hair. He looks very comfortable and very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 4103/07/2013

Um no, it does not depend on your body. Wearing teen clothes as an adult diminishes you regardless of what kind of shape you're in.

by Anonymousreply 4203/07/2013

I disagree with R37. Aside from balding, nothing ages a man more than grey hair.

by Anonymousreply 4303/07/2013

But some men look so much better with salt-and-pepper rather than a bad dye job.

by Anonymousreply 4403/07/2013

ITA @ R42 and I sure wish so called MILFs would get the message. They look ridiculous wearing clothes a teenager would wear. They think just because they are thin they look good. You can never challenge them on it though because they refuse to believe their critics are motivated by anything but jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 4503/07/2013

While I agree with R43 that gray hair does make a man look older, in most cases he looks the way he's supposed to look. Nobody looks right with their hair dyed, as R37 says. It's like you're telling the world "I so hate the way I look, I'm willing to do this to myself so I can pretend for a day or two I'm still 24."

My two dyeingest friends always look ridiculous, and they both have it done rather than doing it themselves. One looks absolutely absurd, and he is without question the unhappiest person I know.

by Anonymousreply 4603/07/2013

Would you argue the same for women, R46?

by Anonymousreply 4703/07/2013

R37 assumes incorrectly that ALL dyed hair looks bad. But he is only 'aware' of the bad dye jobs. The good ones look natural so you think it's the person's real color and it doesn't stand out.

Kind of reminds me of something my mom said to me years ago. She had been using Oil of Olay face cream faithfully for 20 years and was annoyed because she "still had wrinkles." My response was, "well, maybe you'd have twice as many wrinkles if you didn't."

Maybe dyed hair doesn't make you look youthful, but it can make you look 'better' (less tired, washed out, etc.) than you would if you didn't do it. It's like anything else you do to maintain yourself. Most 50 y/o people don't want to look 20, they just want to look a little better than other men and women their own age.

A good example of this is George Clooney. You would never look at him and think he's 30, but he looks a heck of a lot better than most average 50 y/o men because he's taken good care of himself.

by Anonymousreply 4803/07/2013

That is patently untrue, R47. I have seen women transformed by a quality hair color job.

by Anonymousreply 4903/07/2013

R49, I asked a question at R47, so I'm not sure what is "patently untrue."

by Anonymousreply 5003/07/2013

Sorry, R50. I read it wrong. I though you said you "would argue it's the same for women."

by Anonymousreply 5103/07/2013

R47 I only know one woman who I am sure dyes her hair, and it looks nothing but unnatural to me. It's a different shade every time she gets it done, and I know I usually see her a day or two after her hair has been freshly done.

I don't think she looks ridiculous, though, the way the friend I spoke of at greatest length does. But she doesn't look like she's wearing her own hair color. It never looks as natural as it did when we were younger.

by Anonymousreply 5203/07/2013

[quote] Aside from balding, nothing ages a man more than grey hair.

I still disagree. an older man with colored hair look inevitably MUCH older than the guy with salt-and-pepper hair.

by Anonymousreply 5303/07/2013

People always say how much they love my silver/gray hair, so I keep it. Plus, I decided to super nerd out these days: dorky geek glasses, comic book and punk rock shirts and all that nonsense. Makes me feel good and fun and why not? I don't have anyone to impress anymore at my advanced age.

I saw a REALLY old woman at the store the other day with a SUPERMAN logo shirt on and it made me smile.

I will say I don't like seeing older men in flip-flops though.

by Anonymousreply 5403/07/2013

Howard Stern is in the news today with pictures of him at 59 with his long curly black hair.

by Anonymousreply 5503/07/2013

Stern is ugly and pathetic no matter what he wears.

by Anonymousreply 5603/07/2013

Stubble. Very few older guys should skip shaving.

by Anonymousreply 5703/07/2013

[quote]Very few older guys should skip shaving.

This. Gray stubble makes you look like a skid row drunk.

by Anonymousreply 5803/07/2013

No toilet paper after 35.

by Anonymousreply 5903/07/2013

[quote] I watch the Following every week. Kevin Bacon is nearly 55 and has brown/blonde hair. He looks very comfortable and very attractive.

I think he looks terrible. His face resembles a skull and the hair color is not good with his skin.

Hair dyed brown never looks right. I think it's because the skin tone changes when the hair starts to grey. Women who were brunettes look better as blondes after they start to grey.

However, grey hair does age you. No getting around that. Dye it or not, you're never going to look young again. At some point we have to accept it.

George Clooney's white beard at the Academy Awards made him look a great deal older. White beards are more aging that grey hair.

by Anonymousreply 6003/07/2013

um r42 et al - define teenage clothes.

You counterargued a post that used skinny jeans to illustrate an example of something that's being thrown about as "inappropiate" clothes for the over 35 crowd.

Who the fuck are you to decree that skinny jeans are "teenage" clothes? They're jeans that look good on skinny people, period.

Now, a cheerleader outfit, a letter jacket, or a t-shirt that says "aight/WTF" I would agree would be inappropriate for a 55 year old.

by Anonymousreply 6103/07/2013

Justin Theroux, age 41, wearing skinny jeans

by Anonymousreply 6203/07/2013

I just don't want to have to dye my hair all the time. So I let it go grey.

And my grey hair isn't aging. I look old because I am old.

by Anonymousreply 6303/07/2013

Unidentified guy on the right - CLEARLY UNDER 35 - wearing skinny jeans.

by Anonymousreply 6403/07/2013

Purple with a red hat.

by Anonymousreply 6503/07/2013

[quote]The good ones look natural so you think it's the person's real color and it doesn't stand out.

No, the good dye jobs look better than the bad ones, but you can see the desperation from a mile away. And it's not because the good dye jobs aren't superb. It's because the skin never looks right, no matter how good the dye job is. The man's hair color, skin tone and age just aren't in sync.

by Anonymousreply 6603/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!