Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jon Stewart Taking 'Daily Show' Hiatus

Who even still watches The Daily Show? It's so unfunny. It's all about Colbert.

Jon Stewart will take an extended hiatus from "The Daily Show" this summer to direct his first movie, Deadline reports. While Stewart is absent, John Oliver will fill in the anchor seat for Stewart.

The hiatus will take place over 12 weeks this summer. Oliver will fill in as host for eight of those weeks.

Stewart's directoral debut will be an adaptation of Then They Came For Me: A Family’s Story Of Love, Captivity And Survival. The Comedy Central host has written the screenplay, now entitled "Rosewater," which tells the true story of Maziar Bahari, a journalist who spent 118 days in an Iranian prison in 2009. Scott Rudin will produce the film.

Bahari has appeared on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" three times. In fact, he was accused by the Iranian government of being a spy partially for his first appearance on the comedy show. Watch that appearance, when he was interviewed by Jason Jones, here.

While Stewart is a comedian by trade, the movie will not be a comedy. He told The New York Times that that the film came about due to his friendship with Behari after his appearances on the show. "It just kind of happened," he said.

Guest hosts have substituted for Stewart only occasionally. Stephen Colbert and Rob Corddry both guest anchored the show during their stints as correspondents on "The Daily Show" when Stewart was absent.

While Stewart has never directed a film, he is no stranger to Hollywood. He appeared in several movies prior to his "Daily Show" career, and hosted the Oscars twice, in 2006 and 2008.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

[quote]Who even still watches The Daily Show? It's so unfunny.

I agree. I never did like him.

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

Stewart reports the news better than any news outlet put there.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

I still watch. The coverage of the news is still good. I skip over some of the "reporter" segments.

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

I prefer the show to OP's posts.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

Stewart's career came to a halt after that disaster political tour. TDS was at its best a decade ago. Now it's just cringe-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

I think the opening segment with Stewart is amusing frequently. But the bits with the other people on the show are predictable and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

Colbert is much funnier and his political bits are much sharper and more devastating than Stewart's.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

I quit watching years ago. Not funny.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

JS started to believe his own hype and now thinks he's a pundit as opposed to a reasonably well-informed comedian.

Maybe John Oliver will get bigger ratings than JS.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

There was a time when I watched it every single night, but I haven't seen much of it in the past few years aside from his hysterical stuff about Santorum.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

John Oliver is married to some Iraq vet who's a neo con. Fuck that limey.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

Working 40 weeks a year to begin with must be exhausting

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

R4 - +1

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.