Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Our neighbors have a surveillance camera in their yard

Our houses back up to each other, separated by a small alley. We have an active n'hood association with an email listserv, and there's been a recent ongoing chain about several home break-ins.

This woman, whom my partner and I dislike, stated in a message that she and her husband have a "trail camera" that they place at random spots facing their backyard and the alley, which is apparently activated by motion. She says they've mostly caught images of small animals but did get footage of someone digging through their garbage.

I'm not like freaking or anything but this just seems a little creepy, the idea that my neighbor could "accidentally" videotape me in my own yard. Why are people so paranoid? It's weird because this woman is a liberal's liberal, too.

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

[quote] this woman is a liberal's liberal, too.

Sadly, and ironically, most people, like city officials who like posting cameras all over the fucking place are generally more liberal/progressive.

I have no idea why but look at the towns and cities who've become obsessed with video surveilance and they're often those run by Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

I don't get it. Does you backyard include the alley?

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

Put on a show for them

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

Hmmm...there have been break ins and so they set up cameras to catch the thief and are happy to share their findings with the neighborhood.

You are concerned that they might "film you" in your back yard.

Who is the paranoid one?

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

There's a lady in my neighborhood that has cameras all over her house watching the neighbors yards. She uses them to try and catch neighbors doing things to her lawn so she can sue them. She starts feuds with them in the hopes she can goad them into something. She's sued two neighbors so far. One for throwing something in her yard and one for supposedly flooding her property due to new construction and she caught the guy flipping the bird towards her house and sued for emotional distress and terrorizing her. Luckily she lost that one and settled with the guy throwing trash in her yard.

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

There's an upside to this sort of thing. I live in a very red state, and I'm openly gay. The house next door is a rental, and I've had serious harassment from a few of the tenants over the years.

I was able to back up a police complaint which led to eviction in one of the worst incidents because of footage from the simple camera/DVR system I installed.

This is entirely legal, as long as you take care not to video adjacent private property to a significant extent. My system is covert so as not to bother the neighbors I DO get along with, except for a door cam. That's there to keep a certain Fed-Ex driver not to fuck with me.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

You just KNOW R4 sits around her trailer in a dirty t-shirt all day, cunting the Internet and has no friends except her dirty cats.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

OP, why do you assume the camera picks up your yard in the frame? From your description it sounds like a tight space. The camera probably isn't far enough back to get a view of the alley and a clear view of your yard. Do you have a fence around your yard? Regardless, unless you live out in the country or have very high walls, you should expect that your neighbors can see you in your yard anyway.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

Sounds like Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

Have you checked Cam4 or Chaturbate lately to make sure you're not giving all of us a free show?

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

Whatever you do, don't feed their dog meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

Put up a sign that says "Some Pig!"

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

Well, she may accidentally videotape you in your backyard (why are you concerned to begin with?), but at least she's not doing it surreptitiously. It was a courtesy to let the neighbors know and share what she's finding.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

What exactly is illiberal about monitoring your own garden?

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

"What exactly is liberal about monitoring your own garden?"

They planted blue Bachelor Buttons next to pink Lady Slippers. Typical!

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

What if your home was burglarized, and the neighbors cam was able to identify the perpetrator with resulting charges?

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

We installed two cameras so far in my mothers house for protection. One side of the house is a blind spot with no windows that has an apartment next door. The little alley between the houses was our concern because someone from the parking lot could jump into the property.

Mother was against the idea of the camera but once it was up, she loved it. She could see what the dogs were barking without stepping outside.

To insure the neighbors privacy, even if we don't care for them, we placed a board along side the camera like a case so that we wouldn't intrude into their windows and door. We don't care about what they do, we just want to make sure the alley is safe.

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

[quote]can surveil you

So what? Are you afraid to be caught verbifying?

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

What is the correct verb form of "surveillance"?

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

R20, "surveillance" is a French word that means "watching from above". The English verb is "to watch" -- depending on context, it might "to spy on".

The English verb "survey" means something different: "to count" or "to canvass" -- in the technical context of land use, it means "to measure" -- in the technical context of marine appraisals, it means "to evaluate" a vessel.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

[quote] Mother was against the idea of the camera but once it was up, she loved it. She could see what the dogs were barking without stepping outside.

Edie, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 2203/05/2013

They sell security cameras at Costco and Sam's Club so it's not all that unusual for people to have them. Stop being so paranoid OP.

by Anonymousreply 2303/05/2013

How do you cunt the internet?

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

Cunting the Internet is a wonderful phrase.

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

Have you considered getting a drone with a camera, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

You need to get a big black coat, ski mask, hat and other items mentioned here, put them in a sack, and some evening get into your car as if you're leaving the house. Park nearby, then take your gear and walk around to the alley with a camera.

Stand behind their house as if you're taking photos of it. Take out a tape measure and act like you're measuring something on the alley pavement by their fence. Then take out a phone and talk animatedly on it, pointing at the house as you speak. Then lurk away.

You can do it in just a couple minutes and no one will notice you. But their camera will. Then wait for the cunt's head to explode.

(Having a house camera is useless unless you post a sign that you have one - it's to be a deterrent, not a tool for evidence after some unlikely fact. In case you wondered, yes, your neighbors are nuts. And the "liberal" front has become very popular for intolerant, paranoid, mean-spirited twats.

by Anonymousreply 2703/05/2013

[quote]And the "liberal" front has become very popular for intolerant, paranoid, mean-spirited twats.

Are you being facetious? Isn't it the conservatives that are that way?

by Anonymousreply 2803/05/2013

Great idea r27. Or just wear dark clothes and drag an old department store dummy down the alley so it looks like a dead body.

by Anonymousreply 2903/05/2013

A friend just solved his issue with a neighbor doing something similar to this. His neighbors had put up a motion activated camera aimed toward his house, all under the guise of 'protection'. The neighbor kept camera in the same place all the time, taking it down to check the film once a week, so he was able to come up behind it one night and grab it and dropped it in his bag. He then took the camera out for the evening with him. He went out dancing in a couple of clubs and then back home to replace the camera where it had been. After they took the camera down to check if it had caught anything interesting it never came back.

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!