Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Outrage! Police Brutality Of Gay Man Caught on Camera at Saturday's Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras

"At this weekends Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, what was supposed to be a day of celebration and expression of Gay pride turned into a horrific scene of of what appears to be police brutality. A press photographer caught the incident on video and posted it to YouTube. In the video recorded Saturday night, it appears to show a disturbing incident of police brutality, as a young man at Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras was manhandled and assaulted by police in front of a crowd. Blood can be seen on the sidewalk as the man is slammed down to the ground."

Watch the video of the incident at the link.

by Anonymousreply 2603/06/2013

Police Officer with the baseball hat and beard is totally hot.

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

The sad thing about modern society is that no one is willing to do anything about it on the spot. People let police commit crimes against them, but don't fight back.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

Yes, the cops still beat up queers. Will be curious to see what fallout there is from this incident. All the needed to do was cuff him, but this isn't as much fun as roughing up a fag. Don't know much about Australia but apparently they aren't so fond of gay people.+

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

[quote]Don't know much about Australia but apparently they aren't so fond of gay people

Who is this "they"? One cop? Two cops? All police? A certain percentage of people in the entire nation? If it's anything other than the cop, you need to show some evidence for your statement about a country you admittedly "don't know much about."

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

So disturbing, I hope the cop gets put in jail

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

Fuck you, R6.

So glad someone bled in the past for your rights, you smug asshole.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

Australia really is an anti-gay, backwards shithole. Not even worth wasting tourist dollars there, let alone traveling 24 hours to get there.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

[R4] I have been reading about homophobia in Australia for years. Everyone likes to make nice but homophobia usually gets a pass. Providing a link for you. Google homophobia Australia, there are many other links.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

Let's not generalize about a big, beautiful country which happens to be quite gay friendly. That asshole cop will likely lose his job. Good riddance. Any outrage should be directed towards places like Kentucky and Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

The great American writer Ed Abbey included a travel piece to Australia for a magazine. It was included in one of his books of essays. If you want a good read and a few laughs at the expense of the Aussie you will like it.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

When you compare places in the world for bigotry, I don't think Australia is too bad. It happens everywhere. I have 2 friends down there, one in Perth (male), and one in Melbourne (female) and both say it's pretty nice in those cities.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

R9 I totally agree. I don't know why so many people are always trying to defend Australia. For a country of only 23 million people, it's VERY anti-gay, especially for a developed country. There is anti-gay story after anti-gay story about Australia. Yes, there are anti-gay people in all countries, but again, for a country with such a small population, the anti-gay atmosphere there is blaringly obvious to anyone not wearing rose-colored glasses.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

They are a backward, parochial country. EXTREMELY intolerant of any minority group. Worst racism I've ever experienced.

English speaking countries give them a pass because people find the accent somewhat charming. The pretend to be warm and friendly, but are the worst type of bigots.

Yes, I've spent an enormous amount of time in Melbourne and Sydney because of work. I would never go there willingly, ever again.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

If it's so anti-gay, then why is the Gay Mardi Gras the biggest gay event in the world?

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

"The perfect Aryan is blond like Hitler, tall like Goebbels and has an athletic physique like Goering".

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

That was hard to watch, makes me want to beat up that cop

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

I am getting so sick of all these Aussie bashers. Most of you guys have probably never been here and the rest just like to throw shit. take a look at your own country for gay bashing,bigotry,murder,living conditions ,jesus freaks then get back to me.....

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

Thank you r18! I couldn't have said it any better.

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

Poor guy, I hope he sues the hell out of the police department.

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

Wow, That made me cry.

by Anonymousreply 2103/06/2013

Totally agree r18.

Stones ...houses ...hello.

But depressingly frequently in Datalounge there will be a UK bash,followed by a Canadian bash followed by an Aussie bash. They are quite regular and follow similar lines

Usually your mouth drops while you are thinking WTF

You want to say this is being said by a country where there have been an estimated 1 million people have been killed by gunshot wounds.That you still have the death penalty.That you are the country that invented the Ku Klix Klan and have only just finished with the stupidest president in history or you have anti gay laws up and down the country that are so draconian they could make Uganda proud. No it is Australia or the UK or Canada that are the most homophobic or racist.

Spartacus, the gay publication has noted that as far as laws public opinion,Religous influence etc that the UK is 5 Canada 6 New Zealand 18 and Australia ranks 21 out of 138 countries listed.

Where was the US? Well I am glad you asked, 47,right above Albania,except Croatia beats you.

I am not denying that the Mardi Gras incident wasn't horrible. It was

But the whole country homophobic racist really I mean really.

I think Americans are hot and have great accents but I wouldn't categorise a whole people in one dumb president.On the other hand....

by Anonymousreply 2203/06/2013

Please. As a rule, Americans absolutely love Aussies.

It's just a natural reaction to seeing one of our own get fucked up by a cop for no apparent reason. You want to blame the cop, the entire police, the entire country because as a gay you just feel so damn powerless. It's not fair to blame the entire Aussie culture, and once people they calm down they won't. They'll come to their senses.

by Anonymousreply 2303/06/2013

[quote]So glad someone bled in the past for your rights, you smug asshole.

Time to find a shrink, hon.

by Anonymousreply 2403/06/2013

The way some of you talk, you'd think Matthew Shepard was murdered in Australia. Tell me again, where was he strung up on a fence and left for dead again? Sydney or Melbourne?

by Anonymousreply 2503/06/2013

'Teen in Mardi Gras arrest video speaks out'.

by Anonymousreply 2603/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!