Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there something wrong with me? Datalounge is my only social outlet

On another thread "datalounge polarities" one poster there stated that the worst kind of posters on Datalounge are those who use datalounge as their only social outlet. He claims that we are "fucked up".

It has occurred to me that yet datalounge is my only social outlet. Are there other people like me on here? It's not that I can't interact with people in real life.

It's simply because I have low self-esteem and am incompetent, so I tend to avoid meeting people to protect whatever's left of self-confidence.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

"It's simply because I have low self-esteem and am incompetent, so I tend to avoid meeting people to protect whatever's left of self-confidence."

OP, you described me to a tee as well.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

Yup. The Internet in general. I visit other websites as well.

I'm an Aspie Schizoid. You might be too. Look into it.

The web is filled with people like us. Who do you think creates all these web pages?

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

Circumstances brought me to a small town. I want out, but can't leave right now. Pretty much rely on DL for intelligent, liberal thought and entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

Of course there is something wrong with you if Datalounge is your only social outlet. You really needed to ask?

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

Not sure what's meant by social "outlet" -- "experience", maybe?

DL is not the only social experience I have, but one of the few that I enjoy enough to seek it out. I just don't like being with people much -- I love animals & feel like we're on the same wavelength, which seldom happens with people. So I avoid spending time with people & keep it to a minimum as much as possible. It's easy to do that on DL, & some of the people here do occasionally intrigue me enough that I actually want to know what they think about a subject.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

OP do you also have a pet you are very close with?

Classic schizoid personality.

I'm not sure how we lived before the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

"Are there other people like me on here?"

YES!!! EVERYBODY here is like that!!!

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

I'm with you, OP. But I think I spend a lot of time here for different reasons. I'm lazy and I prefer to hang out in the comfort of my own home. Going out and socializing-- being "on" --is something I rarely have the energy for. Also, people bore me generally, so on those occasions when I do go out, sometimes I end up coming back home and thinking "well, that sucked." Many of my friends are fraus and it's boring to listen to them wax on about soccer and PTA. I feel much more engaged here. I love to sit down with a cup of coffee and catch up. I know myself well enough now to appreciate the fact that I'm happiest with limited social interaction. So I really don't care if someone else thinks it's "fucked up."

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

Before the internet I was always reading.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

If you feel you aren't doing okay ... reduce your level of frequent visits to this site. Still visit. Just not as often.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

What does being close to a pet have to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

Schizoids want companionship, but because they have difficulty with people, they become very close to their pets.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

Juvenile delinquency is merely a SOCIAL disease!

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

OP, you answered your own question. Is there something wrong with you? Yes, in your words, you have low self-esteem and are incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

Shit. Me too OP.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

And R9 is kinda my hero.

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

That's troll talk. Nobody at datalounge thinks that about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

Same here. Work is the only outlet I have for social interaction but we talk about work, not personal. I find myself spending lonely weekends with my iPad and DL...occasionally my elderly mom and my retarded brother drop by and that's about it. Sad, really. But there's comfort knowing I'm not alone in feeling this way.

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

R9 = Bob Dole

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

Don't worry about it, get a pet or two. Join the ASPCA or take your dog to the dog park. Join a support group for something. Others will help give you back some confidence.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!