Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Horrible woman. Anyone heard of her?

In 1999, Rosaria Champagne Butterfield was a tenured English professor at Syracuse University, a skeptic of all things Christianity, and in a committed lesbian relationship. Her academic specialty was Queer Theory, a postmodern form of gay and lesbian studies.

Today Butterfield is a mother of four, a homemaker, and wife of a Presbyterian pastor named Kent. They live in Durham, North Carolina.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9903/20/2014

She speaks like she was completely and utterly brainwashed.

"Leftist lesbian partner" sounds like propaganda.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 103/05/2013

Right. If I was a journalist I would try to track down some of her Syracuse colleagues and the ex girlfriend and see what the REAL story is. Maybe she had a mental breakdown and wasn't going to get tenure, etc.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 203/05/2013

Something about it feels off. And the undertone of the story is that she really isn't as converted as she's leading us to believe.

She had a nice life. Why did she leave?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 303/05/2013

I'm curious if anybody knows her either.

Obviously, this Christian rag is only going to show her "happy ending."

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 403/05/2013

She's not on Facebook.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 503/05/2013

If you google her, there's nothing but one-sided accounts.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 603/05/2013

If she was bisexual, it's be better if she attributed it to that rather than Jesus.

People in relationships often take on the characteristics of those they are dating at the expense of their own personality.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 703/05/2013

"After my tenure book was published, I used my post to advance the understandable allegiances of a leftist lesbian professor. My life was happy, meaningful, and full. My partner and I shared many vital interests: aids activism, children's health and literacy, Golden Retriever rescue, our Unitarian Universalist church, to name a few. Even if you believed the ghost stories promulgated by Robertson and his ilk, it was hard to argue that my partner and I were anything but good citizens and caregivers. The GLBT community values hospitality and applies it with skill, sacrifice, and integrity."

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 803/05/2013

-- listening to her makes me sick, yet I feel it's important.

I think she's literally insane.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 903/05/2013

A lot of people who spend their lives in universities are nuts. And extreme people just want to be extreme, doesn't matter what "side" or cause.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1003/05/2013

Is she related to Evelyn 'Champagne' King or Julia Butterfly Hill?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1103/05/2013

Her name is fabulous.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1203/05/2013

Can't find much mention beyond the Christian sites.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1303/05/2013

This to be made up. No one would actually have a name like that.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1403/05/2013

She sounds like a nice woman who is deeply unhappy.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1503/05/2013

I don't get at all the OP's idea that she's a horrible woman--she has nothing but nice things to say about lesbians. The conversion is disturbing, but it's her life.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1603/05/2013

Do you really want a nutbag like her in the LGBT community?

I say let the heteros have her, we have enough crazy as it is.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1703/05/2013

[quote] A lot of people who spend their lives in universities are nuts

Really?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 1803/05/2013

I think crazy people don't really have a sexuality, though they talk about it a lot

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2003/05/2013

Holly Near did this. So did Tom Robinson.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2103/05/2013

Tom Robinson was never all that "glad to be gay" to start with. His song was satire.

Holly Near was clearly bisexual all along.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2203/05/2013

There is nothing in mainstream American Presbyterianism that justifies or explains the pitch of this woman's statements. Her apparent decision that Christianity is incompatible with being gay is her own twist, and her determination to live like a straight person is just an indication of her personal issues, under the cloak of a false security.

And that she offers herself to the radical Xtian media shows she is both inauthentic and a cunt.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2303/05/2013

She went from being anti-Christian to the point that she couldn't even talk about it to fully embracing it to where it chnaged her life and orientation? Sounds pathological.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2403/05/2013

Right.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2503/05/2013

She really does come across as a complete freak. As someone above noted I feel bad for her partner. If someone I knew looked at me and said, "What if we are all going to hell?" I think I would crack up laughing. Really?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2603/05/2013

Her story about her transgendered friend J is completely confusing.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2703/05/2013

[quote]Tom Robinson was never all that "glad to be gay" to start with. His song was satire.

Obviously, in hindsight.

Fooled us.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2803/05/2013

lake of fire!!

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 2903/05/2013

er

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3003/06/2013

See, Christians and fundies have ESTs too.

This. Never. Happened.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3103/06/2013

No, it clearly actually did; she's crazy, but she exists.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3203/06/2013

The answer is obvious. A committed activist womon broke her heart, and this is her psychotic revenge.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3303/06/2013

The man who tried to convert her is the man she marries. And she says the conversion was a trainwreck. (Did they strap her to a chair and hold her eyes open a la "A Clockwork Orange"?)

There's more to the story.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3403/06/2013

She has STATED HER BOUNDARIES!

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3503/06/2013

See: LaRouche, Lyndon.

Trotskyite turned right wing looney.

See also:Kristol, Irving:

Trotskyite turned right wing asshole

Extremists tend to go from one extreme to another.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3603/06/2013

Oh, good catch, r36! I didn't realize the 'conversion man' became her husband.... hmmmmmm.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3703/06/2013

Add radio asswipe Michael Savage to that list, r36.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3803/06/2013

I'd like to add Michael Savage to the list of people who catch permanent laryngitis.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 3903/06/2013

I would like

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 4003/07/2013

I don't want to hear from her. No thanks.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 4304/29/2013

I'm a Syracuse alumnus from a few years later and I'd never heard of her. I thought she might be totally fake, but I did find this article, amongst others through the SU website.

So she's real. Maybe a brain tumor?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 4404/29/2013

r41, courage? are you serious?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 4504/29/2013

Oh good, the freepers at R41 and R46 have discovered this thread. No real gay man on DL would be frightened of hell.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 4704/29/2013

Hell is freeper fucks like R41 and R46, both of whom have swallowed the Kool Aid which wiped out what was left of their intelligence and ability to think.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 4804/29/2013

She still pings. Hehe.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 4904/29/2013

real deal in what way?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5004/30/2013

The "real deal"? She's a bigger phoney than Clifford Irving ever was.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5104/30/2013

[quote]How is it so incredibly hard to believe that someone can be gay and happy, and then come to a point in their life where they are now straight and happy? The opposite happens all the time.

No, the opposite pretty much never happens. People are closeted and pretending to be straight (and usually not very happy at all) and then come to a point in their life where they decide to come out. That is what really happens.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5305/22/2013

It's the Christianity aspect, R52.

Plus the weird insistence on her being a "leftist lesbian."

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5405/22/2013

She is no longer DARK-SIDED!

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5505/22/2013

I guarantee she has never read the Bible, because if she had, she would never come to the conclusion it was antigay. Furthermore, the Bible is such a thick dense load of crap there is no way she read it "multiple times" in one year.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5605/22/2013

[quote]Her academic specialty was Queer Theory

Queer theory is bullshit.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5705/22/2013

I feel sorry for her former STUDENTS.

Imagine being lectured to by someone so unstable and unreliable... about your own sexuality.

She even has the nerve to describe herself as "queer" in the present day in the interview.

Bullshit.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5805/22/2013

urf

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 5905/22/2013

So she was ALREADY A CHRISTIAN in a progressive, LGBT-friendly church, but somehow decided (or was convinced) that it was the wrong kind of Christianity.

I agree, there had to be something that triggered her self-loathing enough for her to run back into the closet (to many strained, tortured metaphors). And, it seems as though she admits she still feels attracted to women.

Frightening.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 6005/22/2013

"Do you have the courage to actually read her book?"

Courage?

She was a mouthy queer who disseminated her shit - then she had a conversion, and STILL wants people to listen to her shit.

10 years down the line - how do we know she won't have returned to her roots, and STILL be wanting people to listen to her shit?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 6105/22/2013

I wonder how many people are there like this in the world...

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 6205/23/2013

But 'queer' doesn't mean gay anymore, so it's not like she converted.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 6305/23/2013

Please elaborate, r64.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 6505/23/2013

Hopefully few, R62.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 6810/01/2013

If ever there was an EST...

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 6910/01/2013

Well, obviously the poor thing had never been to a Talbots before.

a

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7010/01/2013

Would this WERE an EST....

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7110/02/2013

Stockholm Syndrome. She was probably kidnapped and brainwashed. As an adult, if she's not complaining, no one will question it.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7310/03/2013

i agree she is real.

i disagree she is sane.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7410/04/2013

It can happen. I'm talking more about the "became a fundamentalist" aspect, more than the "became ex-lesbian".

I'm reminded of Michelle Shocked, who was more progressive/leftist when she started out, and now look at her - a fundie damaged basket case who's torpedoed her own career. And to a lesser extent I'm reminded of Bob Dylan, who shocked his fans in the late 70s by taking up not only born-again Christianity, but an unusually dour, severe form of it. Bob has mellowed out over time but it was a crashing disappointment for his fans back in those years.

Sounds like this woman has some strong attraction to rigid fundamentalist thinking and emotion. The vision of hell, for example, that horrified her and yet obviously seduced her. That kind of vision and thinking is, admittedly, not a central quality in UU churches and academic lesbian circles. You can't have it all in this life -- maybe some core part of her longed for that severity, that singular intensity of religious vision. I'm just glad I know my own inner terrain well enough to know, that would never be me.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7510/04/2013

It obviously DID happen. She's a mentally ill mess.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7610/04/2013

She sounds nuts. Someone must know her or her ex-partner.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7710/04/2013

...it sounds like r72 might...

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7810/04/2013

[quote]So she was ALREADY A CHRISTIAN in a progressive, LGBT-friendly church

Unitarians aren't exactly Christian. Their beliefs are non-dogmatic, and many followers practice syncretic blends of other religions including Judiasm, Buddhism and Paganism. There are even agnostic and athiest Unitarians.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 7910/04/2013

Be happy for her? Is this stil a gay board? I don't fucking understand a straight person on this thread. why are you here? We don't want anti-gay people on this site.

Why do I have to say this? You are not wanted in the straight world because you are pathetic. We don't want you here either. DONT GO WHERE YOU ARE NOT WANTED.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8010/04/2013

Who cares? So irrelevant.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8110/04/2013

She says she's straight because "closet case" doesn't have same that air of respectability.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8210/04/2013

This kind of situation gives me the willies, like soldiers giving blankets to native Americans or black men receiving free treatment at Tuskegee. But that does not mean she is a victim of spiritual abuse. The only consistence in evolution is variation, so while not common or typical, it is possible.

It also shows how large the sample size of alternative lifestyle people there are in America that general statistics would cough up this wing-nut.

I wonder if her converter/pastor/husband would recommend marrying a lesbian to his sons. "Well boys, you got a lot more...time on your hands!"

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8312/03/2013

I had Rosaria as a professor at SU back in 96/97. She is in fact real. Seeing this transformation is rather shocking and unnerving. She was a strong, educated and inspirational role model to young, queer, academic women. The bottom line is if she's found happiness, good for her, though I disagree with her believing now that homosexuality is a sin, I applaud her beliefs that homophobia is also a sin.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8412/18/2013

You sound too reasonable. She sounds mentally ill.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8512/18/2013

She just got burnt-out on patchouli, flannel, mullets, rainbow flags, Indigo Girls and equal sign bumper stickers on the Volvo wagon.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8612/18/2013

Dollars to doughnuts she is supremely unhappy and said what she said because someone paid her.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8712/18/2013

She and Kent don't have real jobs. Ministry is for someone who doesn't want to work.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8812/18/2013

She probably wanted to be a professional gay until she found out that was the smallest job category in the nation, but faker for Jesus is one of the biggest!

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 8912/18/2013

In the piece linked she doesn't say being gay is a sin. I think she only focuses on herself & how she started reading the Bible, etc.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9012/18/2013

Can we please stop using ableism to criticize queerphobia? Many of us disabled and mentally ill people are also queer, and using insults like nuts, crazy, and insane ignores us and perpetuates ableism in the LGBTQ community.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9103/17/2014

I think Champagne Butterfield is a great name.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9203/17/2014

R41, what are you saying? Was she bisexual or confused about her gender orientation? Does she think homosexuality is a sin?

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9303/17/2014

She probably did the complete about-face simply to escape Syracuse. Anyone who's been there will agree.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9403/17/2014

If she read the Bible, she would know it isn't gay. She's a fake.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9503/20/2014

People who study queer-theory/women's studies are generally insufferable.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9603/20/2014

She still looks lesbo.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9703/20/2014

That's impossible, r52. She could, however, be bisexual and happy with a woman partner then and a male partner, now. I've seen so many men and women who call themselves straight when with the opposite sex, and gay when with the same sex. And I don't mean just happen to meet a nice man or woman but "swear off" the other sex for a period in your life, doesn't make you not bi.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9803/20/2014

"Rosaria Butterfield" is my drag name.

by I feel sorry for her ex-partnerreply 9903/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.