Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is nursing school really hard?

Once out is it all gross, disgusting stuff like changing diapers and catheters, etc.

Is a 2 year program worth it or should I go for a 4 year?

by Anonymousreply 2510/27/2014

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

Do you already have a Bachelor's degree in something else? If so, get the 4 or 5 pre-requisites (you may have already done some of them if you have a prior undergrad degree) and do an accelerated BSN. It took me 16 months to make my worthless Mass Comm degree (I know, I should have known better!) a degree I could actually use immediately in a market where there was a need. Is the work sometimes gross? Sure. But almost guaranteed work at 43$/hour (in the South) and a three day per week schedule is enough to overcome any vomit or poo that comes my way.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

Whoops, to actually answer your question, not really. It is like many other things; study intently and study it a lot and you master it easily.

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

My sister is a pediatric RN and loves it, but she's had to deal with some pretty gross stuff, including holding a baby's brain in during a procedure.

I think you have to have a special calling to be a nurse.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

Dear Nursing school, Please contact Allison Hart of Lavely and Singer. She will have any mention of you deleted from the internet. It's awesome and few major celebs like me take advantage. Allison is listed in the phone book FYI. Hiring her is the best investment of my life. It kept me out of prison. She and Marty Singer will even get LAPD, on thier payroll, to terrorize and ruin anyone who writes negativity about you.

Regards, Tig Notaro

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

I'm torn between nursing and radiology technician. I looked into a pharmaceutical certification but apparently the money is not that great.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

Can you still lactate?

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

You'll make a shit nurse, OP. Please just go the technician route.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

I'm debating if I should go and become a radiation tech...I have a BA in journalism and a MA in writing, and unemployed...What kind of education does becoming a RT require?

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

It's 2 year certification R9 and pays very well out of school. In my area a community college has the best course in the area for it. I know several people who went to and got certified at this school.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

R2, that's what I always thought it was supposed to be like in the nursing field. Unlimited jobs etc.

I have a friend who got her LVN in Mass. and can ONLY get jobs in nursing or assisted living homes. She can usually only find part time work at that.

But, she is a bitch, and simultaneously acts as if being a nurse makes her a saint when she is a HUGE cunt. So maybe that's why she only gets the shit nursing jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

There is an over abundance of nurses.

My friend graduated from Loyola in Chicago with a bachelor's in nursing, she has another bachelor's in Education and a great work history.

No one will hire here because hospitals only want experience.

The real problem is the shortage of nurses is in small towns and rural areas. There are way too many nurses in Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, California and other desirable cities.

On the flip side, North Dakota is begging for nurses as is South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska and other mid sized towns like Colorado Springs, Tulsa and Jackson, MS.

Unless you're prepared to go to a smallish city, you'll be stuck with a worthless degree.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

OP=Jack McFarland

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

I bet it's easy to find jobs as a nurse in a doctor's office. All they do is take vitals, draw blood and handle easy paperwork. Do they get paid significantly less than hospital nurses?

Nurses at plastic surgeon's offices have the best jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

Any recommendations for schools in the NYC/Brooklyn area? My bf is seriously considering changing careers to go into nursing after helping his mother through a difficult long term illness. Perhaps even palliative care.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

[R11], the fact that your friend is an LVN/LPN seriously limits her choices. There are different regulations everywhere you go but for the most part, LPN's have a fraction of the bedside scope that an RN has. I recall LPN's that I have worked with only being able to do lower level care, such as hand out stool softeners and draw blood. If there were medicines that needed to be given IV or a full assessment of systems, the RN had to do it and sign off on. We never had LVN/LPN's in our ICU's and ER's, either. Add a cunty-poo attitude and it isn't a surprise she feels marginalized in one of the last remaining career areas where there is substantial need.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm considering a move in my career. I've never been to college, I've worked straight out of high school and I've done rather well. At 43 I am ready to move out of an industry which was once strong with what I thought was a good future. I no longer feel that and I'd like to make a move before the industry collapses. Nursing is an idea. But where do I start? No college here, I've got no idea how this all works. I'm in New York, just outside of the city. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 1710/27/2014

Thought run was ready to move out of the basement.

by Anonymousreply 1810/27/2014

R1, great post and I'm not a nurse, but i have unfortunately been in the hospital about 8-9 times in the past 6 years. I think it is a trifle disingenuous of you - unless you're assuming everyone knows - NOT to mention that the 3-day week of which you speak is (at least where I live, Northern NY State), 3, TWELVE-hour days. In hospitals; 3 of which I know of: 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM; 1-2 hour for lunch (doesn't seem like a long break! but seems to be okay, both in union and non-union hospitals. Believe there are several 10-15 minute breaks per shift, too.)

ANYway, even as a patient I could tell this schedule is hard; interestingly it was the younger nurses (and nurses' aids (CNAs) who seemed to be dragging at a bit by the end of their shifts. Also interesting was that quite a few of the nurses told me they would sometimes volunteer for an extra 12-hour shift per week, to make extra $$$. Yes, well-paid overall (thank God; they deserve it!) but I remember from my days working (I'm not THAT old; became disabled at 54) that usually: one can always use MORE money, OT shifts.

I have seen other hospitals with 4, 10-hour shifts, but this 3, 12-hour shifts seems more common. And I have known of nurses aids - one was a woman, 50ish, with custody of her granddaughter - who after years at one hospitals, regretfully had to leave to do something else 'cause she could actually not get babysitters around her 12-hour shift.

by Anonymousreply 1910/27/2014

R17, by any chance was your former industry the law?

by Anonymousreply 2010/27/2014

R17, your best bet is to start with an ADN (associates) program. The best ones are at community colleges. Avoid for-profit tech schools; they are extremely expensive, the education is poor, and they have a high failure rate.

ADN programs can have long wait lists, though some schools use a lottery system. You can use your wait time to complete pre-requisites. Once the program starts, however, you will be in school almost full time for two years. This makes holding down a job difficult unless it's very flexible and part-time.

In an ADN program, you can take boards to become an RN. You would have the same scope of practice as a nursing grad with a bachelors, and you can do bridge programs to go from ADN to BSN. is an excellent resource that can answer just about any question you have about considering, starting, or getting through nursing school. It was of huge help to me from the moment I first decided to go.

by Anonymousreply 2110/27/2014

Is surfing hard?

by Anonymousreply 2210/27/2014

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Obligatory VOTN Post.

by Anonymousreply 2310/27/2014

Remember the white male datalounger who could not get a nurse job in the US with 15 years experience.

He ended up in Afghanistan and the Germany doing VD checks and first aid.

However overseas you can make money, in the US not so much any more.

by Anonymousreply 2410/27/2014

I've thought about going into something in the medical field, but I know I'm not cut out for anything too gross. Do the radiation tech jobs or similar jobs pay well and what kind of program do you have to complete?

I know a gay guy who works with the college sports teams here and I think all he does is massage them and check them out. I'm sure he loves feeling up jocks all day.

by Anonymousreply 2510/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!