Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George H.W. Bush: 'I Am Just An Angry Old Man Hurting For My Son'

Former President George H. W. Bush offers intimate observations about low points of his son's presidency in his latest book, set to be released Tuesday.

CNN received an advanced copy of All the Best, George Bush; My Life in Letters and Other Writings, and reports that the elder Bush had a pained reaction to the nation's criticism of his son's performance as 43rd president.

"My heart went out to him" after Hurricane Katrina, Bush, 88, writes of his son, former President George W. Bush. "Here is a guy who cares deeply. Who wants every possible resource of the federal government brought in to bear to help people, yet he is being roundly accused of not giving a damn ... the critics do not know what is in 43's heart, how deeply he feels about the hurt, the anguish, the losses affecting so many people, most of them poor."

The younger Bush was stung by considerable backlash for slow execution of recovery efforts in Louisiana after Katrina. The resentment came to a memorable head in September 2005, when entertainer Kanye West publicly blasted Bush during a nationally broadcast relief telethon, claiming he didn't "care about black people."

Five years later, in an interview with NBC's Matt Lauer, Bush said he regarded West's criticism as "one of the most disgusting moments in my presidency."

The elder Bush comes to his son's defense in the book, calling the critics "nasty." The World War II vet and 41st president then goes on to note that his son had come under fire exactly 61 years after his own Navy plane had been shot down by the Japanese.

"I was a scared kid back then," Bush writes. "Now I am just an angry old man hurting for my son."

by Anonymousreply 5303/07/2013

Oh, I'm just crying as I type.

Fuck him and his whole vile family.

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

Why give Kayne West so much power over your life? weird and kind of pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

[quote]Here is a guy who cares deeply.

President George H. W. Bush you are wrong. Your son did not care.

George W. Bush did not care about the people affected by Hurricane Katrina until he and his administration were called on the carpet by the entire country. George W. Bush did not care about the country when he entered into a war with Iraq when both he and Dick Cheney lied to the world about weapons of mass destruction that never existed. And George W. Bush did not care about gay people throughout the country when in 2004 he proposed a Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

You are wrong. You don't know your son as well as you think you do.

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

George W. Bush only cared about his 1% cronies. He had nothing but disdain for everyone else. Worst president of our lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

He calls his son'43'? WTF is that about?

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

Right R43? What a chummy family.

The reason people were critical of GW's handling of Katrina is [bold]because he didn't do shit[/bold]. The whole freakin' world had to get on his case about it. Clueless douche.

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

That says all you need to know about his total grasp, sensitivity, understanding and concern about the situation.

God I hated that man.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

"He calls his son'43'? WTF is that about?"

W. was the 43rd POTUS. Accordingly, Jeb's name will be "Never".

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

George, you and Bar raised Dubya to be a spoiled, entitled, narcissistic, coasting, brain-dead frat boy. It's your fault if he is one of the most hated and worst presidents in American history.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

The pain of a mass murderer's parent is one of the more difficult ones. I feel for him.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

I read when election day in 2008 was near, the Secret Service was already calling Obama "44."

If Bush really thinks W gave a rat's ass about anything but impressing Poppy, he's deluding himself. To be fair, who wants to admit their son is a sociopath?

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

I voted for him in '92 and don't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

No! That's not true! That's impossible!

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

LOL! He calls his son "43" and I'll bet he calls Bill Clinton "son" - poor 43.

Now that IS sad.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

[quote]Bush said he regarded West's criticism as "one of the most disgusting moments in my presidency."

What's more "disgusting" than lying to the country and starting a phony war that kills thousands?

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

If ever we needed a grease fire, this is that moment. A big one.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

There's no-one else who can begin to start 'a reassessment' of GWB, so it falls to an ailing father. It's in the nature of a parting gift.

It'll backfire, of course. It just makes GWB yet again look like the special indulged entitled boy whose Daddy still speaks up for him. The poor baby.

As President GWB had the power to communicate his thoughts and feelings at will. Given their absence, he could have faked them with the help of the best hired hands. If America didn't know how much GWB apparently cared, that was yet another significant Presidential failure.

Perhaps Bush senior, with all his unique experience, could have better advised his special son. Other advice might have been that as President, that job he wanted so badly, he would possibly be open to criticism.

It wouldn't be surprising to see Bush senior in a final interview, perhaps holding hands with his special son, tearing up as he again links his real bravery in WWII with his son's later failures. (Maybe Larry King will oblige.) Any such occasion would be of great historical and psychiatric interest.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

I thought he was dying.

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

I was about to say r5. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

Another one who didn't glean anything from that excerpt except that Poppy calls Dubya "43".

Whatever the reason for it, that does at some level shock me. I wonder what it was like growing up with this guy for a father.

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

It's been widely reported that they called each other "41" and "43". Where have you people been?

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

I would like to know how much the Bush family was involved in 911. How much did they know and didn't do. They have ties to the Bin Laden family and if I remember correctly there were leaders of Arab countries who warned the Bush government about the attacks.

We all know that George W. lied about weapons of mass distraction and once they started invading Iraq they took care of the oil ministry first before anything else. Rumsfeld, Cheney and George W. were probably the most irresponsible and most corrupt government of the last century.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

These are deeply terrible people.

by Anonymousreply 2203/05/2013

Exactly what R22 said.

This will backfire on the elder, though. People still really hate his spawn.

by Anonymousreply 2303/05/2013

Every time I pass this thread title I hear Dave Chappelle's voice:

"I'm just a ni**a who likes big tittays."

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

R22 says it all on one sentence.

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

It's nice that Bush did good things for Africa. Unfortunately, most Americans are unfamiliar with Africa and don't have any feelings about it other than vague fear and revulsion.

I have no proof for this but wonder if Bush's Africa initiatives were tied up with evangelism. He loved funding missionary churches and cracked down on in wingnut fashion on US groups working to promote family planning overseas.

by Anonymousreply 2703/05/2013

Just die, old man.

by Anonymousreply 2803/05/2013

I know that Africa is important. China and Germany are investing there massively. Former colonists like the Portuguese are returning to Angola. Returns on investment are very high -- so are the risks.

The average American is probably unaware of this.

DL has inspired me to look into ties between the religious right and Bush's Africa efforts. You hear more about African nations becoming more virulently homophobic -- wonder if Bush & his wingnut friends helped accelerate this development.

by Anonymousreply 3003/05/2013

[quote]I'm no Bush fan, but curiously he's got the best track record of any president with regards to Africa.

by Anonymousreply 3103/05/2013

Since he never had mush of a relationship with W, I don't know what he's trying to prove now.

It's official, H. W. Bush is senile.

by Anonymousreply 3203/05/2013

I do not think the Bushes are evil or terrible people- rather they live in a bubble like many upper middleclass to rich Republicans do. One big bubble HW lived (lives) in is the notion that his son was doing a near decent job. Oh he may have cared about the people of New Orleans- but it was pretty hard to figure out how so since his response was so incompetent. He may have cared about the victims of 9/11, but his response was to create an unneccessary war and cause the deaths of exponentially more people- among other things.

Incompetence in this case was equal to not caring and in some cases the implementation of very dark policies.

My message to HW: your son was the worst President in American history, and at least of the last 120 years.

by Anonymousreply 3303/05/2013

"One of the White House's major aid initiatives, the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), has wasted much of its funds on scientifically questionable programs designed to please American religious conservatives. Though studies show that only a comprehensive approach, including condom distribution, sexual education, and antiretrovirals, could reduce HIV, the White House insisted that PEPFAR spend one-third of its behavioral prevention budget on programs that promote abstinence until marriage."

Toldja, Bush shill who happens to be "no fan of Bush."

by Anonymousreply 3403/05/2013

R33, "Stupidity is just another form of wickedness." -- Nietszche

by Anonymousreply 3503/05/2013

By now everybody knows or should know the history of the Bush family. That family was evil before President H.W. Bush, 41st President

Prescott Bush, H.W.'s father helped finance Hitler's rise to power.

"The new documents, many of which were only declassified last year, show that even after America had entered the war and when there was already significant information about the Nazis' plans and policies, he worked for and profited from companies closely involved with the very German businesses that financed Hitler's rise to power. From the "Guardian."

"It has also been suggested that the money he made from these dealings helped to establish the Bush family fortune and set up its political dynasty. . . .

"[D]ocuments reveal that the firm he worked for, Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH), acted as a US base for the German industrialist, Fritz Thyssen, who helped finance Hitler in the 1930s before falling out with him at the end of the decade.

"The 'Guardian' has seen evidence that shows Bush was the director of the New York-based Union Banking Corporation (UBC) that represented Thyssen's US interests and he continued to work for the bank after America entered the war.

"[Prescott] Bush was also on the board of at least one of the companies that formed part of a multinational network of front companies to allow Thyssen to move assets around the world."

-- Note "[H]e continued to work for the bank after America entered the war." Well after the whole world knew about Hitler.

Here's a link to documents that lay out the whole sordid mess.

by Anonymousreply 3603/05/2013

Thank you, R21, from those of us who remember that the Bush administration made sure the bin Ladens living in the US were magically whisked out of the country immediately after 9/11. Flown off to God knows where at American taxpayer expense.

by Anonymousreply 3703/05/2013

Washington and Saudi Arabia have been working hand in glove for generations. They trade their oil for our guns. When they get our guns they use them to keep their dictatorship going. The Saudis flood politics with money. It is everywhere you look in Washington.

The biggest political inside joke in years happened recently when the Republicans accused Hagel of being on the Saudi payroll. Everybody in both parties takes money from them.

Young Saudis not in the royal family have zero opportunity to be heard. After years of frustration at being held powerless, Saudi young men committed the 9/11 act of terror.

Bush wouldn't blame the Saudis, he couldn't jeopardize trade relations. What he did do was blame the Iraqis who had nothing to with 9/11 so our young people could go to war against them.

I don't know if any of the other bin Ladens were involved. It is a big clan, and Osama apparently broke with them years ago. That rescue mission shows that the administration knew immediately where the terrorists came from.

See link for a great book on the interconnection of the Saudis and Washington.

by Anonymousreply 3803/05/2013

Seems your own fucking party gave its opinion of your son during the last election.

by Anonymousreply 3903/05/2013

it shouldn't have to be restated but there is absolutlely NO, ZERO NADA evidence that George W. Bush gave any more than a shit about the people victimized by Katrina.

His own staff couldn't get him to listen to the reports of devastation. His own staff wrote and talked about his reluctance to deal with Katrina.

George H W Bush's son created more "angry old men" across the world by launching an illegal misbegotten war in the middle east.

Not all the of the Bush family victims have the luxury of writing a book in a last ditch attempt to rewrite history.

GWB was the worst most destructive US President in US history.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 4003/05/2013

This is just some pre-lube to get American's assholes ready for another Bush fuck in 2016

by Anonymousreply 4103/05/2013

What r39 said. W's own party wouldn't utter his name in 2008 and 2012. They hid him in a crawlspace somewhere during both elections. Expect the same in 2016.

He barely scraped through his own elections. He won the primary in 2000 thanks to race baiting, the general election thanks to the Supreme Court. In 2004 he won via lying about a war hero's war record and gaybashing in swing states.

As far as his legacy, he will go down in history as the president who squandered America's blood, treasure and reputation and hastened the end of the American era.

A drunk frat boy who was given --GIVEN -- the keys to a fancy car and rammed it straight into a tree.

Parents are always the last to face the truth. HW, Bar and Dick Cheney will go to their graves thinking the world is being unfair to W.

by Anonymousreply 4203/05/2013

If Jeb Bush makes it to the White House in 2016 - just shoot us all now.

by Anonymousreply 4303/05/2013

HBO ran a documentary on George Bush last year. He stated that he thinks Ross Perot cost him his re-election bid in 1992. But that's just how badly the 41st president bullshits even himself. He would have become unseated by Bill Clinton anyway. His job-approval percentage was high in 1991 (the Persian Gulf War; and he did handle that war well), but he became out of touch and out of his element when the recession hit. Barbara Bush had reportedly seen it coming. (Bush's unseating by Clinton.) He dropped into the 30s percentile range for a considerable time in 1992, and it sank him, making the nearing and eventual arrival of Election Day very clear.

The map was also becoming realigned. Richard Nixon -- who would die in 1994 -- had his southern strategy as some delusion of, perhaps, eternal electoral dominance. But the Rs' original base eventually caught on. Ronald Reagan in 1980 won southern states (except Jimmy Carter's Georgia) by margins that varied -- some higher, some around, some lower -- than his national margin (9.75%). In 1984, Reagan won southern states by margins exceeding his national number (18.22%) by which he won re-election (over Walter Mondale). That set up the Republicans to move the south to their base column. But as the Democrats' losing candidate of 1988, Michael Dukakis flipped nine states that had voted for Reagan -- and many of them, specifically Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin, New York, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts -- have not once voted for a GOP since 1984. (Iowa is in this group. But it did vote for George W. Bush in 2004. But it has a Democratic tilt. When Ds win the presidency, Ia. carries. And it, along with New Mexico, are the only states that voted for the popular-vote winners of 2000 and 2004.) That moving of the south to the Republicans' base likewise moved many from the north and pacific to the base of the Democrats as they became pickups (flipped from 1988 R to 1992 D) with election of Bill Clinton: California, in the pacific; Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey in the Rust Belt; Delaware in the northeast; Maryland in the mid-Atlantic; Vermont, Connecticut, and Maine in the New England. (New Hampshire, which also flipped for Clinton, has voted R just once -- for George W. Bush in 2000. When Ds win the presidency, N.H. carries. True with Clinton in both of his elections. True with Barack Obama in both of his elections.)

If Bush Sr. were to make it to 100, be able to communicate, he would still blame Ross Perot.

by Anonymousreply 4403/05/2013

Bush "hurt so much" for his son that he left him behind in Houston when he went to Congress, doing something that could have gotten him arrested in today's world.

by Anonymousreply 4503/05/2013

[quote] 'I Am Just An Angry Old Man Hurting For My Son'

Said thousands of men who lost their sons in your son's Iraq LIE.

by Anonymousreply 4603/05/2013

He only cared that his son LOOKED bad.

by Anonymousreply 4703/05/2013

[quote]It's been widely reported that they called each other "41" and "43". Where have you people been?

This is correct.

by Anonymousreply 4803/05/2013

Poppy Bush is crying from his death bed....Asswipe

by Anonymousreply 4903/05/2013

[quote]I do not think the Bushes are evil or terrible people

Perhaps you should read Russ Baker's "Family of Secrets" and learn about the whole history of the Bush family over the past 100 years, including their ties to the financial elite, defense industry, Saudi oil princes & CIA.

by Anonymousreply 5003/05/2013

I hope they get to dig up all the dirt on this family.

by Anonymousreply 5103/07/2013

Maureen Dowd likes the first President Bush.

by Anonymousreply 5203/07/2013

Does Dowd know anything about Bush I's ties to the financial elite, Saudi Royals & CIA?

by Anonymousreply 5303/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!