Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mitt Romney still against gay marriage

Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney still opposes gay marriage, he said during a recent interview with Fox News.

During a four-minute segment of previously unaired footage, Romney declared that he hasn't "evolved" on the issue, despite recent signs that a growing number of Republicans are beginning to support marriage equality.

"I believe that marriage is a relationship between a man and a women, and that's because I believe the ideal setting for raising a child is where there's a mother and a father in the home," Romney said. "Other people have differing views and I respect that, whether that's in my party or in the Democratic Party. But these are very personal matters. My hope is that when we discuss things of this nature, we show respect for people who have differing views."

Romney repeatedly stated his opposition to gay marriage throughout his failed presidential campaign.

The Fox footage aired just days after 131 prominent Republicans signed a legal brief submitted to the Supreme Court supporting the case against California's ban on gay marriage, Proposition 8.

David Kochel, the Romney campaign's Iowa strategist, also spoke out in support of marriage equality earlier this year.

“Support for the freedom to marry is emerging as a mainstream position in the Republican Party," Kochel said at a January event. "If we are to be the party of principles and values, isn't our first obligation to the principle of freedom and the value of individual liberty?”

While support for gay marriage appears to be on the rise in the Republican Party -- even among the ranks of elected officials, such as Reps. Richard Hanna (R-N.Y.) and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), who signed the Prop. 8 opposition brief last week -- their position runs counter to that of the majority of the House GOP. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has pledged to spend up to $3 million to keep defending the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which is also currently before the Supreme Court.

CLARIFICATION: This story has been updated to reflect the latest available number of Republicans who signed the legal brief opposing California's Proposition 8.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

"...But these are very personal matters. My hope is that when we discuss things of this nature, we show respect for people who have differing views."

This shows how ignorant he really is. These are not "personal matters." It's about basic civil rights that the Federal Government should be protecting.

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

That's right. We all now how sacred marriage is to the Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

I'm still against Mitt Romney.

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

Good for you, Mitt. Although you're stunning defeat was only four short months ago, there are now even more people who disagree with you. You're a douchebag--and now even more so.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2013

Who gives a shit? He's old news and has no power.

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2013

I like that his head will be on a pike, come the revolution.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

Well we actually have to give him credit on something - he finally stuck to a position!

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

What R5 said. I enjoy seeing his name pop up on DL from time to time for the purpose of pure mockery, but let's not pretend that his opinions on important issues like this have any actual effect on anything. He's not even a state Congressman, for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

Mitt Romney still an asshole

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

For a quick moment the Mormons started to warm up to gays (to make their presidential hope look more appealing?) after Romney's loss are they still supportive of the gays?

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

r10, don't go asking stupid questions.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

We are coming for you, Mitt. When the revolution starts, we are coming for you. We know where you live in La Jolla and we are coming for you and your say hello.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

he is such a tool.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

Frankly, I'd prefer that he remains against it. I'd hate to have to agree with anything he says.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!