Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best Supporting Actress 1982

The ever controversial category

by Anonymousreply 2902/14/2014

They were all great. But I'd say Garr.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

I voted for Jessica, but it was stupid. She wasn't nominated for Frances, which is obviously a leading role. She was nominated for Tootsie and won, and yes I know everyone says it's a consolation prize for losing Best Actress. But sloppy work putting Frances on there.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

LMAO...thanks for clarifying, R2. When I read OP's poll I was wondering who the actual winner was...didn't remember Jessica Lange winning for Frances.

(PS: I voted for Terri Garr)

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

Best Actress that year...

Sophie's Choice: Meryl Streep

Victor Victoria: Julie Andrews

Frances: Jessica Lange

Missing: Sissy Spacek

An Officer and a Gentleman: Debra Winger

No one had a chance against Streep.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

Fuck up much, OP?

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

If anyone did have a chance against Streep, it was Lange. I would have voted for her. Sissy Spacek was wonderful in Missing, but she had won recently.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2013

Glenn

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

Oh yeah OP, 31 years of non-stop controversy.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

[quote]Oh yeah OP, 31 years of non-stop controversy.

you clearly a new to DL r8....it is a constant topic here....don't be such a smartass...heal your anger.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

LOLOL, you give me a big smiley!

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

Teri Garr

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

Lesley Ann Warren should have won for Victor/Victoria. She was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

I think everyone secretly knows that Lange should've won for "Frances"...

"31 years of controversy..."

lol.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

Jessica Lange is exhausting in FRANCES. She appears to have no technique! She's beautiful, of course. But she trembles and quails and blanches and frets, and she's just all over the place. It feels like Lange is out of control, not that Frances is out of control.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

The Golden Globes got it right with Lanie...

Tootsie: Jessica Lange

Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean: Cher

My Favorite Year: Lainie Kazan

Frances: Kim Stanley

Victor Victoria: Lesley Ann Warren

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

Glenn's performance in Garp is amazing. Like Mary Poppins as a radical feminist icon.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

It's sort of a hated win, but I find one of the best aspects of Tootsie is Jessica Lange's touching and wonderful performance as actress Julie Nichols. She plays the character in such a realistic, undramatic way that may lead to the fact alot of people can be unappreciative the depth that is found within the performance. I especially love the vacation scenes because it feels as if she is not even acting. Another terrific performance that adds to this great, great film.

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2014

Has Lange ever herself acknowledged the fact that her win for TOOTSIE is nothing but a "pity Oscar"?

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2014

Wasn't this the first of Glennie's six losses?

I am sure I will nail the scenes in which she attends the Academy Awards and ends up losing to Jess, in my upcoming HBO film,"Nominations:6 Wins:0-The Glenn Close Story"

Please congratulate me on the Emmy nomination which I will receive for this performance.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2014

Jessica Lange was NOT a supporting actress in Frances, she was the LEAD actress.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2014

Interesting take, R14.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2014

If ever there should have been a tie, this should have been the year. I think both Meryl and Jessica gave career defining performances.

I like Jessica in Tootsie for the reasons mentioned above, but I don't think she should have been nominated for it. I would have substituted Lainie Kazan for My Favorite Year instead. Or Karen Black for Jimmy Dean.

But what a strong lineup for both Best Actress and Supporting Actress. Probably two of the strongest female lineups the Oscars ever had.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2014

When Jessica Lange followed “Tootsie” with her top-billed tour-de-force in “Frances”, there was just no denying that a new and major talent had arrived. It’s a slow-building performance. But, ultimately, heartbreaking. Some scenes – including the final one – are almost too sad to watch. The script lays much of the blame for Frances’ tragedy on her ambitious, unstable mother. It’s a showy role and, to play it, the producers lured an acting heavyweight back to the screen. Kim Stanley proves up to the challenge. Her Lillian is prisoner and victim of her own destructive behavior. But she’s also a corrosive influence on those around her. Bursts of happiness and bouts of anger are both laced with desperation and fear – unhinged and profoundly dangerous. It’s a creative and unpredictable performance, bubbling and frequently threatening to boil over. Lillian sees Frances as her last chance at fulfillment. And when the young woman checkmates her, she allots only a moment to defeat, then fast-forwards to revenge mode, implacably signing off on her daughter’s damnation.

by Anonymousreply 2302/14/2014

Jessica Lange won because she was going lose Best Actress later to Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 2402/14/2014

Everyone knows the Oscar always goes to the right person.

by Anonymousreply 2502/14/2014

Teri Garr wrote nasty things about Jessica in her autobiography.

Basically said she stole the award from her.

The film critics were split that year.

Glenn Close won both the Los Angeles Film Critics and National Board of Review Best Supporting Actress award for Garp

While Jessica Lange (for Tootsie) won the National Society of Film Critics and NY Film Critics Best Supporting Actress award.

by Anonymousreply 2602/14/2014

I hated Lange in Tootsie. She acts like a weepy tard.

Kim Stanley stole every scene in Frances. Just malevolent. I wish there'd been more of her and less of that fictional romance with Shepard's character.

by Anonymousreply 2702/14/2014

R26, what did she exactly write about Lange? Details,please.

by Anonymousreply 2802/14/2014

[quote] Details,please.

Pulling Teri Garr's autobiography off the shelf.

First she said she though Glenn Close would win, and she thought she deserved it. But Teri writes...

"Was it the insufferable Jessica Lange's impeccable timing that won her the award? Incidentally I thought she was very nice until she won the Oscar and I didn't. Nothing personal. or was it a sympathy vote? Being nominated for best actress, no one was going to beat Meryl Streep that night. Maybe it was the fact that she was much, much older than me? Who knows?"

She later writes about doing a dance number at the Oscars a year later and writes

"Then I looked out and saw the insufferable Jessica Lange staring smugly back at me"

by Anonymousreply 2902/14/2014
Need more help? Click Here.