Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Night Diana Died...a gay experience

There must be a lot of people who've never seen this before.

I know this was a big hit with DLers a long time ago...but I've taken it upon myself to give it another airing.

by Anonymousreply 7903/07/2013

I just looked her up. I was 4 when she died. This is old news. Way old. How are we supposed to remember somthing that happend so long ago?

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

Because r1 people who are 40 can remember 15 years ago. And I'm not calling anyone elder, I am 40.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

Go back to listening to your Justin Bieber, r1.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

Thanks OP. Easily my favorite DL thread ever. So bitchy, mean-spirited and ruthless, everything we love in DL. I wish I had cut and pasted the original thread into a document.

Does anyone know who these guys are? Despite all the lampooning of them, they do seem like decent folks.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

I was reading alt.showbiz.gossip on usenet and someone posted "Di and Dodi dead". I thought it was some kind of joke. So I clicked on the thread and was shocked to read who it was about.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

[quote] So I clicked on the thread and was shocked to read who it was about.

Did you let out the same anguished cry as the queen in the youtube video?

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

I don't see what's so funny. She touched the hearts of a lot of people, I remember being 10 years old and waking up at 5:00 am to watch the royal wedding. She was the most famous woman in the world and showed kindness to AIDS sufferers when few public figures of her stature did. I didn't yell out when I heard she died, but I definitely was shocked and saddened.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

Wasn't there an asg "Di and Dodi hurt" thread first?

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

In all seriousness, it was a complete shock that this happened, and I can empathize with the screaming guy in the link. I did the exact same thing when Donna Summer died.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

I was jerking off to a Brad Hunt video, and when I finished and pressed Stop, the news on whatever network I'd last been watching was talking about the accident. They were showing the tunnel in Paris and eventually announced she'd died.

The next day a friend wanted to know if I wanted to go lay flowers in front of the British Embassy. I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

I was 20 and watching Running on Empty at my then boyfriend's house, who was this older, hyper masculine, hunky fireman. Running on Empty might have the saddest ending ever, so I was bawling like a baby as the movie was ending and my bf (who wasn't watching the movie) walks in from the other room, also bawling.

Him: "So you found out too?" Me: "Yeah, the dad just let River Phoenix go. He just let him go!" Him: "What?" Me: "What do you mean, what?" Him: "No, Princess Diana just died." Me: "Oh shit. I better call my mom."

Probably sounds stupid to you all, but it made us laugh for months.

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

[quote]Easily my favorite DL thread ever. So bitchy, mean-spirited and ruthless, everything we love in DL. I wish I had cut and pasted the original thread into a document.

I agree...totally. It was hysterical.

In fact the boys in the clip aren't all queeny at all, as everyone seemed to make out at the time it was first posted. There's a wide range of gay types represented in this group.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

That must have been a very creative thread, since the video is just a few nondescript gay guys watching TV.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

R8 Probably.

R6 No.

I just remember thinking who the fuck are they. And it must be some kind of joke post.

I knew who Diana was but I did not know she was dating a guy named Dodi so I didn't put the names together.

Then I turned on the TV and it was all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

[quote] That must have been a very creative thread, since the video is just a few nondescript gay guys watching TV.

I guess you "had to be there", but the thread featured: 1) accusations of self-loathing against anyone who made fun of the guys; 2) some pretty creative commentary about the furnishings in the condo; 3) jokes about other times some of us screamed like that (such as when we forgot the souffle that was in the oven); 4) accusations the video was fake because why would they be filming just when it was announced Diana died.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

Awww, this video never ceases to crack me up. Glad to see it pop up again!

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

R1's little ass crack smells of undigested Snicker bars, entitlement, and the third digit of a dirty finger.

She's also a troll. If not here, in life.

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

[quote]I was jerking off to a Brad Hunt video, and when I finished and pressed Stop, the news on whatever network I'd last been watching was talking about the accident. They were showing the tunnel in Paris and eventually announced she'd died.

The balls were so blue that day...

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

She was the People's Princess.

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

That scream gets me every time. Plus his friend trying to hide his laugh by putting his hand over his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

I still shed a tear when I think back to that unfortunate day.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

Gay people (me included) never get over anything. That's what the little shits don't understand yet. We are the cultural memories of the corner's and cellars of the world's varied civilizations, and our griefs, grudges and passions are even more tenacious than anything the Irish/English, Jews/Palestinians, or Christians/Muslims can show for their mere centuries of challenge and conflict.

We feel Joan Crawford's insanity. We recall D'oyly Carte's frustration with Gilbert. We understand the Magdalen. We light candles to Little's Joe's image. We remember Carol Channing when she was young. We mourn for Jon Erik. We cherish Celanese Fortrel. And we revel in the grotesqueries of Judy, Jackie, Diana and Vadge.

And if pipsqueaks don't get it or feel it, if you don't with a mad zeal rush to Google the things you don't understand, and if you squawk in pride at your not knowing the things that form the foundational detritus of the world's culture, you're either not really gay or you're missing a critical component located in the center of the heart.

Questioning this video's relevancy? Shit. We're still cackling at Victoria having a bust of John Brown put under the satins of her coffin.

by Anonymousreply 2203/05/2013

M-A-R-Y-!

by Anonymousreply 2303/05/2013

I still think of Brad Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

The real Brad Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

I was in Paris last week on business and the route from my hotel to the offices kept bringing me through the Diana death tunnel.

I was a little surprised there was no sort of marker.. Not that there should be or that it would be very 'French' to do that, but considering the idolization of her, I figured there would be something on the wall, but there isn't.

It's only odd to be that with the pilings separating the two directional lanes of the tunnel and them not being that thick, that the accident would have been so furious as to kill everyone on board, except one person.

If anyone's driven through that tunnel, you'll know what I mean. Seems as though those separating concrete posts would have muted the impact the car made on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

What R20 said. lol.

by Anonymousreply 2703/05/2013

Death Tunnels of the Rich and Famous

by Anonymousreply 2803/05/2013

Diana was killed because the car smashed at a fast speed. The arterial tearing that killed her is a consequence of blunt trauma, as she smacked herself at the seat or other barriers in the car, wildly at great force, since she was not wearing a shoulder restrain. These injuries are almost invariably fatal, because, as with an aortic aneurysm, the vessel shreds and cannot be repaired, causing eventual bleeding out and catastrophic multiple-organ collapse.

One may wonder about the precise circumstances behind the wreck, but there is no controversy in how the wreck caused Diana's fatal injuries.

Also, recall she had other serious injuries - her thigh among them - that would have contributed to the grave shock she sustained, only making matters more likely to quickly turn fatal. That she lived as long as she did is rather surprising.

by Anonymousreply 2903/05/2013

I spent the night drinking at the Boiler Room in NYC. Got home after midnight and turned on NBC to watch the end of Saturday Night Live. I was convinced that the news coverage was a skit and couldn't understand why it was lasting so long when it wasn't funny. Yeah, I was wasted. Anyway, once I realized it wasn't SNL but the news, I called all my friends over and we watched the coverage until dawn. My "JFK" moment.

by Anonymousreply 3003/05/2013

[quote]I called all my friends over and we watched the coverage until dawn. My "JFK" moment.

R30 just gave me MARY cancer.

by Anonymousreply 3103/05/2013

I was 19 and starting my second year of college the next day. I was packing up some clothes and other stuff at my parents' house with SNL on in the background when they interrupted with breaking news that Diana had been in a car crash. I stopped what I was doing to watch, and a short time later they announced that Diana was dead. I was in total shock, as were my parents who came into the room to watch with me. The next day on campus it was all anyone was talking about, naturally. Everyone was in total disbelief. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I cannot believe it was so many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3203/05/2013

What was the cause of Diana's death?

Car pole tunnel syndrome.

Who attracts Diana more than a wealthy Egyptian?

A solidly built Pole.

by Anonymousreply 3303/05/2013

r1, are you stupid? Diana's sons are still young; she is not from the Medieval period.

by Anonymousreply 3403/05/2013

R31, thanks! My first "MARY!" comment here. I've arrived.

by Anonymousreply 3503/05/2013

I was in London on holiday, woke up to the TV news and took the Underground to Heathrow to meet my partner arriving from Chicago. No one on the plane had been told about the accident. The next several days were truly unbeliveable: the flowers in the park,the church services, the huge traffic jams,the crowds. Sad time but I'll never forget the experiences.

by Anonymousreply 3603/05/2013

Saint Diannur of Wales became the patron saint of cheated-upon women (and gay men) everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 3703/05/2013

That night when I saw the coverage on the news, I immediately began weeping and wailing, choking on my sobs, while my mother was yelling for me to "shut up" and "be quiet" so she can hear the news coverage.

Which made me cry even harder

by Anonymousreply 3803/05/2013

The news broke in the U.S. on the Saturday night before Southern Decadence. Since this was before the days of texting and cellphones everywhere, news spread by word of mouth in the French Quarter.

People were shocked. Other people wondered aloud whether they should go back to their homes and hotels and try to throw together a Diana outfit for the parade the next day. Some were tributes, some were steering-wheel-through-the-chest ideas.

by Anonymousreply 3903/05/2013

Can we get back to the video please?

by Anonymousreply 4003/05/2013

R22, "MARY", great post! Your wit and wisdom and nonpareil (sp?) I'm sitting here cracking up; one of the best posts in ages! Plus, I am totally going to be chewing over the phrase "foundational detritus" - I'm not sure anyone has put those two words together before, hee-hee! but you make a great point.

by Anonymousreply 4103/05/2013

HAIL MARY! @ R22

by Anonymousreply 4203/05/2013

Most of R22's post reads like Mandarin to me.

by Anonymousreply 4303/05/2013

My sister swears that she watched a live news update that said Diana was only mildly injured in a crash, so when the subsequent report said that Diana was dead she was freaked out.

Also, great post R22, aka Mary, Queen of Scots.

by Anonymousreply 4403/06/2013

As someone else said, the very best part of this video is the snarky friend trying not to laugh at the gasping Mary.

I'm always surprised when I click on the video .... Maybe there's a bunch of copies of this all over YouTube because for this video to have only about 3500 views is odd to me .... heck, I feel like I've viewed it at least that many times myself ("Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....")

by Anonymousreply 4503/06/2013

The night Diana died. I was in bed asleep. As was my custom, the radio was on and tuned to 640 KFI Los Angeles. The Tammy Bruce show was on. I awoke to hear her breaking the news. The rest of the night was about Diana and I never went back to sleep. Tammy was very upset, appearing to be very fond of Diana. Goes to show you that a bug fucking crazy wing nut lesbian is in someway, really not better than the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 4603/06/2013

She was the lesbians' princess, too, R46, regardless of wing.

by Anonymousreply 4703/06/2013

I was in New Orleans that Labor Day weekend, celebrating Southern Decadence. It was 2am and the line for a room at the Club Baths was out the door and down the block. It looked like a Madonna book signing event.

Everyone was tipsy. I looked across the street into a straight Irish-themed pub bar and saw their TV kept showing images of Diana, so I went over to check it out.

When I found out she had died, I rushed over to the line outside the Baths and delivered the bad news. You never saw such a wail go up in your life!! Those drunk queens in line for the Baths just screamed and cried and screamed and cried.

by Anonymousreply 4803/06/2013

I wonder what those guys are doing now.

by Anonymousreply 4903/06/2013

I would have paid to see that, R48. I have a frau friend who took flowers to the British consulate or somewhere where there was a huge pile of them. She wanted me to go with her so I could take a picture of her putting the flowers down. I'm not kidding. I not so politely declined. Another friend and I tortured her with Diana jokes for a while.

by Anonymousreply 5003/06/2013

The Royal Family wanted her out of the picture. Forever. She was embarrassing them, and endangering their very lucrative family busine$$.

You can believe the driver was "trying to outrace the papparazzi" if you like. Sounds kinda dumb.

by Anonymousreply 5103/06/2013

You sound dumb, R51.

by Anonymousreply 5203/06/2013

I was still in high school, at my best friend's house watching MadTV. I was on the couch, he was down on the floor where I could inconspicuously admire his ass from behind (I had such a crush on him...but he was straight). That's when the news broke and distracted me from what I was doing.

by Anonymousreply 5303/06/2013

I heard on TV that she was in an accident. I immediately went online and into a UK chat room (those were the days!) Belfast news called it that she was dead when everyone else was announcing "possibility of serious injuries." They just flat out announced on tv that it had been confirmed that Diana was dead. It took an hour for the US news to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 5403/06/2013

(And of course the apostrophe in "corners" was a typo.)

I do recall, R44, that at first they assume Diana's injuries were survivable. No one, as far as I know, reported that her injuries were minor, just that two people were killed on impact but that Diana, although injured, had survived. They then mentioned specific injuries, including the serious cut on her leg/thigh, and since no one seemed in a hurry to take her to the hospital it was felt like she'd make it.

And then.....

Dum Dum Dum Duuuuuuuummmmmm!

We went to be thinking she was going to live, and only realized she died when the local paper screamed it on the front page.

by Anonymousreply 5503/06/2013

The tv and radio stations in my hometown were talking about how anyone could go online to send consolation notes to Diana's family.

I'm now embarassed to admit that I was one of those people who did just that.

by Anonymousreply 5603/06/2013

I don't know why people think the guy screaming was funny, it was the most shocking news on Princess Diana that was unbelievable. I was just as upset as the guy was, it was such a tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 5703/06/2013

I just came from seeing a friend at the hospital, when my dad told me the horrible news...was up all night watching CNN. You were hoping that she would survive the crash, but it was unheard of that Diana would die so suddenly.

by Anonymousreply 5803/06/2013

I did appreciate the opportunity it eventually presented for me to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5903/06/2013

I remember the day because I had just woken up and started drinking my coffee when my phone rang. It was my best friend asking me if I heard the news that Diana was dead. I was stunned and turned on CNN.

It was tragic and I felt very sad for William and Harry.

by Anonymousreply 6003/06/2013

R38's mom made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 6103/06/2013

r1 - you sound very boring. And annoying.

by Anonymousreply 6203/06/2013

r48, during that Southern Decadence, I was already in the Club by then that night. I only learned of Diana's death in the morning when I turned on the morning news in my hotel room and heard the reporters referring to Diana in the past tense. I consider myself fortunate that I was spared the ordeal of trying to process the magnitude of the loss while doing all I could to satisfy the needs of as many as I could fit in.

by Anonymousreply 6303/06/2013

Someone VERY close to me died on the same day, very tragically, so every time I see stuff about Diana's death I relive it. Not as bad as the first few years, but it still stings and is why I'm not much of a Labor Day fan.

by Anonymousreply 6403/07/2013

I turned on the tv to the news there was an accident and Dodi had died and I felt so bad for Diana. I called my mom and said how sad it was that Di had just found a new love and now he was dead and my mom was quiet for a minute and said, "Honey, she's dead too." I was shocked.

by Anonymousreply 6503/07/2013

Who is it who died?

Do tell, it's an anonymous board after all

by Anonymousreply 6603/07/2013

It was my mother.

by Anonymousreply 6703/07/2013

I thought the title of this thread was The Night of the Iquana and I thought it was about me.

by Anonymousreply 6803/07/2013

Thanks for posting this OP. It cracks me up every single time. I think I'll make the Mary outburst my ringtone.

by Anonymousreply 6903/07/2013

Only the deranged, mentally ill anti-Diana trolls could make fun about losing the most loving, caring and beloved person on this earth at such a young age.

by Anonymousreply 7003/07/2013

I was twenty-four when she died and in my second year of med school. I remember being really upset because Diana was such an example of tolerance, and I wasn't out. I also remember being really depressed because I was alone with no one to share my grief that night. The next day I couldn't figure out why I was still so terribly upset, but I placated myself, thinking that Dian was my first real celebrity tragedy and that by the next one, I wouldn't be alone. Well, a lot of celebs have died since then, and I'm still alone.

Sucks.

by Anonymousreply 7103/07/2013

This is so weird since I was also playing cards (bridge, to be exact) with gay friends the night we heard the news about Diana. None of us screamed, at least I don't think we did.

by Anonymousreply 7203/07/2013

I'd love to know whatever happened to those guys.

by Anonymousreply 7303/07/2013

I think this is a copy of a copy...the original video was much better quality, which allowed DLers to have a really good gander at the apt.

by Anonymousreply 7403/07/2013

R70 is a victim of stale press and her own deluded notion that if she pompously bleats judgment on her betters no one will notice the salami and turtle cheesecake on her breath.

But we do smell you, Cuntalina. We do.

by Anonymousreply 7503/07/2013

I remember the original thread from years ago, and it was hilarious. I especially loved all the bitchy comments about the decor of the apartment. I wish that thread was still available, it was a classic.

by Anonymousreply 7603/07/2013

That original 'gaggle of queens' thread was here when I first discovered DL...no wonder I stayed.

Another thread from that same time was the one about what do you do with your used condoms.

'My pug ate mine. It was hanging out of her ass when I had people over'.

by Anonymousreply 7703/07/2013

Yeah, what a hoot,right? .. you people are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 7803/07/2013

And you're a bloody cunt, R78. How about you grab your dollies, climb into your Kia, and do a reenactment for us?

by Anonymousreply 7903/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.