Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Help me buy a diamond

My mother lost her diamond in her wedding ring. Dad died a few years ago, but she still wears it. I'd like to replace it for her to celebrate their wedding anniversary in May.. I'm tight on money, but would like to get her something of good quality.

Do the four Cs everyone talks about really matter? Diamonds all look the same to me. Her diamond was just under a ct. But it was a Tiffany diamond so I assume it was a good diamond.

I've been looking online at but prices vary so much. I could go to Tiffany's but I've heard they overcharge for the name.

Could someone here advise? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

Do you live in the NY Metro area?

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

For heaven's sake. Just go to a good, old Jewish jeweler and tell him you want a nice-sized brown stone. These are all the rage now. And then tell your mother it's a little dirty and her eyes aren't what they used to be.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

No, but have friends who do.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

Here you go, boychick. Oy, I wish my son was as considerate as you. You seem like such a doll. Gai gezunterhait!

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

Every woman will tell your that diamonds have NO resale value. Go on ebay, look on craigslist, you'll get them for a song.

For anything of significant size, ask for the certificate. Believe me, they'll have it. If on craigslist, ask the seller to meet at a jewelry store: the store will have a laser light that only shines a certain way for diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

**will tell you, that was

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

She's too old to tell the difference between a diamond and cubic zarconia, so don't go overboard.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

That's very sweet, OP.

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

I think that is very sweet of you OP. Do as R5 suggests, I think you'll get the best deal that way

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

Whether square cut or pear shaped these rock won't lose their shape.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

Definitely buy from bluenile. It's a business model that really works and offers insanely great diamonds for a lot less than retail.

Color and Clarity first - then Cut

And don't forget to buy J M Insurance (jewelers insurance).

1 carat = 100 points.

Since most women want at least a full carat, try looking at diamonds at 95pt or 90pt. They'll be cheaper. There's a price bump when you hit a round number.

Play around with the sliders on blue nile and see what they have. Since it's the thought that counts, your mother will LOVE whatever you buy.

I would just decide on what amt you wish to spend, play with the sliders to see what stones you can find for that price and buy!

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

Here's one for just under 2k

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

Just replace it with a cubic zirconia. She won't know, and when she croaks it won't matter. Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

Fuck off R13.

Don't listen to him OP, I can smell his baggage from clear across the Internet

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2013

As it's for a special commemorative occasion why not have a little remodelling? A good jeweller can keep the general setting while making a smaller diamond seem like a bigger spread. A good jeweller can make anything from 0.6 of a caret look like a full caret with the right setting. Try established, independent jewellers for a better price than the brand names.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

Truth is the actual resale value of most diamonds is betweeb 10% and 30% of retail. It is the sentiment that your mother will appreciate. There is no need to discuss the quality of the stone I would buy a lower grade diamond or the cubic zirconium.

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

Work for one of the most important luxury jewelry firms in the world. Go to a reputable jeweler ( Blue Nile online is fine), or yes, as mentioned above you can certainly buy through a diamond broker, you just need to vet who you are buying from.

Contrary to what was written in an earlier post, Cut is the most important factor in terms of a diamond's brilliance. The most colorless and highest clarity diamond wont' refract light if it is cut poorly. You can go as low as SI1 in terms of clarity and still not see the inclusions. You should be able to go as low as I color in a small diamond and not see yellow.

Go to Tiffany or Cartier, see their offerings and then compare to what you see at other jewelers. Both Tiffany and Cartier will only show you the best. A good benchmark to start your search.

by Anonymousreply 1903/05/2013

Very sweet of you OP.

My suggestion would be; If your mom is very up in years and not super savvy about precious gems or jewelry, get an affordable one that's pretty but doesn't break the bank.

If your mom is less than 65, maybe one of greater quality..

I suppose that may sound a little insensitive, but my guess is that the ring holds a bit more sentimental value to your mom than the actual stones do. If she's up in year, she won't be around for decades to come where selling the ring could be a possibility or showing it off to jewelry savvy friends. Therefore the lesser quality is justified if it means its more affordable for you.

Your mom would not want you going into debt over her wedding ring.

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!