Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

James Franco Defends 'I Want Your Love,' Gay Film Banned In Australia (Video)

James Franco is speaking out against Australia's ban on "I Want Your Love," the new gay-themed film directed by Travis Mathews.

In a new video originally posted by Out Magazine, Franco, who collaborated with Mathews on "Interior. Leather Bar.," calls the Australian Classification Board's decision to yank the film from planned screenings at gay film festivals in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane "really silly" and "very short-sighted."

Noting that "sex in films hasn't had a chance to grow and become a sophisticated storytelling device," Franco adds, "Frankly, adults should be able to choose ... I don't know why in this day and age, something like this...is being banned. It's just embarrassing."

According to its official website, "I Want Your Love" tells the story of a young gay man in San Francisco who prepares to return to his Midwestern roots. "Torn between his creative dreams and the reality of earning a living, he's forced to take responsibility by redefining what it means to be an artist, a gay man, and an adult," a synopsis reads.

Mathews served as co-director and screenwriter of "Interior. Leather Bar.," which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January.

"Every f**king love story is a dude that wants to be with a girl, and the only way they’re going to end up happy is if they walk off into the sunset together,” Franco told Entertainment Weekly before the premiere of his film. “I’m f**king sick of that s**t. So if there’s a way for me to just break that up in my own mind, I’m all for it."

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

I've given up on being annoyed by James Franco.

I just wish him luck in his life and with whoever the man is he loves.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

James Franco, I want YOUR love.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

James Franco, IRL troll for gays.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

It is nice to see a celebrity that stand up for what the believe in and stands behind their work. It is hard to hold on to your integrity in the entertainment business many sell their souls for success. There seem to be very few actors/actresses who live by their principles. One who instantly comes to mind is Best Actress Winner Jeniffer Lawrence. Jennifer who is stunningly beautiful and an amazingly talented actress also has a very strong moral fiber and believes in standing up for what is right no-matter the personal cost. She is truly one of the great trailblazers or her generation.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

I love Franco's passion for his work and for the causes that are important to him. I think we all benefit from his interest in sexuality, particularly with how gay men relate to each other.

I'm happy that he's on our side.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

Well this is something I can support.

If I remember correctly this was first a short film (2010) and it was pretty intense. What I want to know is why the full length film gets banned when other similar films like Shortbus were not?

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

Why is it banned?

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

^ Because it contains hardcore sex.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

Sad, if anything, they should have banned his new Oz movie.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

Obviously R8 forgot to say the link is NSFW.

Was Shortbus banned at Australian festivals as well? Let's remember "I Want Your Love" is playing at a festival not as a theatrical release. I don't get why they wont allow it to play.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

Beardy is cute. Love his long eyelashes.

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

Oh god r4, please tell me your a parody.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.