Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did you play with Barbie Dolls as a kid?

If so did your parents try to discourage it, or just let it be?

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

I was permitted to have dolls as a child. I was given a very early Barbie. I made my parents take her back because good girls did not wear nail polish or heavy eye makeup. I was pretty much a Raggedy Ann and Kathe Kruse man.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

I was a toddler in the mid 90s so I guess it was a different time than most of the people on DLs childhood. My parents just let it be, most boys are interested in barbie for one reason or another. By 5 I had moved on to action figures, it's ridiculous when parents try to stop the child from choosing what they want at a toy store...they are who they are so you might as well let them have the toy!

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

No Barbie dolls. I had an Army guy. He was a paratrooper. I called him Mac. I would drop him from the 2nd floor window, watch him float to the ground, and then run downstairs to pick him up. Then, I would run back upstairs, go to the window, and send him floating to the ground again. The dog would scamper up and down with me. After about 30 minutes, I would be exhausted and hop in bed for a nap. The dog was ready for a nap, too.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

I did at a friend's house one time. Must've been about 10. Anyway the kids at school found out and made fun of me the next day, but everyone - seemingly - forgot about it the following day. Wasn't teased or anything after that. I did stay away from playing with dolls after that, though.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

gay boys play with gi joe just like straight boys.

transgendered boys play with barbie.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

How insightful, R5.

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

No but I had a G.I. Joe with lifelike hair and beard. Oh how I wanted him to have the same fuzz on his chest and all the way down.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

Still do!

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

Looking back, I'm surprised my mother gave me a Barbie and an Easy Bake oven when I was a child, and asked why I never dated girls when I was an adult.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

I did and I hid it until my father died when I was 8. then I hid it less and now as an adult I make fabulous Barbie art for the whole world to see. I love it. Barbies are hideous role models but make good art objects.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

So is your dad now proud of his Barbie art making son, r10? I'm not being snarky, I think the answer should be yes and hope it is.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

I am extremely proud..

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

My folks pitched a shit fit when they found out I had played with them over at a (girl) friends house. I wish I could have had one. She was a fun gal.

We had this old ice crushing machine that these incredibly sharp blades inside. I used to toss my army men in there to give them war wounds. It cut them up pretty good. I actually just hated having to pretend I loved playing war like my older brother did.

I also cut a brand new baseball mitt into many, many little pieces. Left it on the floor in the middle of the garage. Caught holy hell for that too. Can't blame them - but seriously, take the hint will you?

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!