Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did you play with Barbie Dolls as a kid?

If so did your parents try to discourage it, or just let it be?

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

I was permitted to have dolls as a child. I was given a very early Barbie. I made my parents take her back because good girls did not wear nail polish or heavy eye makeup. I was pretty much a Raggedy Ann and Kathe Kruse man.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

I was a toddler in the mid 90s so I guess it was a different time than most of the people on DLs childhood. My parents just let it be, most boys are interested in barbie for one reason or another. By 5 I had moved on to action figures, it's ridiculous when parents try to stop the child from choosing what they want at a toy store...they are who they are so you might as well let them have the toy!

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

No Barbie dolls. I had an Army guy. He was a paratrooper. I called him Mac. I would drop him from the 2nd floor window, watch him float to the ground, and then run downstairs to pick him up. Then, I would run back upstairs, go to the window, and send him floating to the ground again. The dog would scamper up and down with me. After about 30 minutes, I would be exhausted and hop in bed for a nap. The dog was ready for a nap, too.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

I did at a friend's house one time. Must've been about 10. Anyway the kids at school found out and made fun of me the next day, but everyone - seemingly - forgot about it the following day. Wasn't teased or anything after that. I did stay away from playing with dolls after that, though.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

gay boys play with gi joe just like straight boys.

transgendered boys play with barbie.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

How insightful, R5.

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

No but I had a G.I. Joe with lifelike hair and beard. Oh how I wanted him to have the same fuzz on his chest and all the way down.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2013

Still do!

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2013

Looking back, I'm surprised my mother gave me a Barbie and an Easy Bake oven when I was a child, and asked why I never dated girls when I was an adult.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2013

I did and I hid it until my father died when I was 8. then I hid it less and now as an adult I make fabulous Barbie art for the whole world to see. I love it. Barbies are hideous role models but make good art objects.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2013

So is your dad now proud of his Barbie art making son, r10? I'm not being snarky, I think the answer should be yes and hope it is.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

I am extremely proud..

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

My folks pitched a shit fit when they found out I had played with them over at a (girl) friends house. I wish I could have had one. She was a fun gal.

We had this old ice crushing machine that these incredibly sharp blades inside. I used to toss my army men in there to give them war wounds. It cut them up pretty good. I actually just hated having to pretend I loved playing war like my older brother did.

I also cut a brand new baseball mitt into many, many little pieces. Left it on the floor in the middle of the garage. Caught holy hell for that too. Can't blame them - but seriously, take the hint will you?

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.