Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jeb Bush no longer supports path to citizenship

March 4, 2013

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush (R) on Monday backed off his previous support for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants, saying it would send the wrong message to people who have tried to immigrate legally.

Asked by NBC’s Matt Lauer why his new book doesn’t advocate a path to citizenship, Bush said it wouldn’t be fair.

“Because our proposal is a proposal that looks forward,” he said. “And if we want to create an immigration policy that’s going to work, we can’t continue to make illegal immigration an easier path than legal immigration. And so I think it’s important that there is a natural friction between our immigrant heritage and the rule of law.”

Bush added that rewarding illegal immigrants with a path to citizenship would lead to even more illegal immigration.

“I think there has to be some difference between people who come here legally and illegally,” he said. “It is just a matter of common sense and a matter of the rule of law. If we’re not going to apply the law fairly and consistently, then we’re going to have another wave of illegal immigrants coming into this country.”

Bush said as recently as June 2012 that he supports a path to citizenship as a part of comprehensive immigration reform.

“You have to deal with this issue,” he told CBS News at the time. “You can’t ignore it, and so either a path to citizenship, which I would support — and that does put me probably out of the mainstream of most conservatives — or … a path… to residency of some kind.”

Over the weekend, Mitt Romney reiterated his opposition to a path to citizenship as well, even though his huge loss among Latino voters was seen as a big reason he lost overall.

by Anonymousreply 3703/05/2013

Jeb Bush and Matt Lauer: two useless, nasty, rich white male assholes who will soon both be unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

Is he against the little brown ones?

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

Did Matt ask: "How's your crackwhore daughter Noelle doing?"

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

Is this to appeal to the Tea Party crowd?

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

I agree with him. The US can change as much as Australia changed over 200 years. We need to deport these people, get the dang fence built.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

So he begins his campaign....

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

I guess he's serious about running in '16. He'd be the toughest republican to beat.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

Then ship his bitch wife back home.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

I don't think we should grant them all citizenship either or it will never end. Make them legal residents eventually but they should never gain full status. They broke the law.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

What did Australia do?

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

His first major move to be Bush (Richard the) III. Of course, I mean, besides making sure Bush II: The Boy King president.

Bar will be so proud.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

But how can America vote for another Bush so soon R7? W is the worst modern president.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

He is way too far out of touch of the political landscape confronting the badly wounded Republican party. Future elections will be pointedly impacted by the Latino vote and to alienate this voting faction is suicidal for his presidential aspirations. What a douche.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

This is excellent news.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

On the illegal alien issue, many Democrats and Independents agree with Jeb. It's a reality that the power Democrats don't want to face, thus the GOP has a new lever that could possibly hurt the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

R16.....It was firmly established that the Latino vote was a major force in Obama's recent victory and that this demographic is only going to become more forceful in future elections. There are not enough Democrats and Independents sharing Bush's antiquated position for it to translate into anything but a forfeiture of the vast majority of latino votes in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

r15 nailed it!

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

Bushes spell trouble, they are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

[quote]It was firmly established that the Latino vote was a major force in Obama's recent victory and that this demographic is only going to become more forceful in future elections.

But even with that, one can't assume the Latino bloc is homogenous on immigration, because it is not. Naturally, those who benefited from lax immigration enforcement would tend to favor similar rules, but those who immigrated legally, or who are descendents of residents that became American by the various Wars/Purchases see the issue in an entirely different light.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

I'm not saying Latino voters are homogeneous, but there is overwhelming support among latinos for immigration reform. Those against reform among latinos are in the minority. And it's not really close.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

[quote]But how can America vote for another Bush so soon R7? W is the worst modern president.

How could America have voted for his brother? Duh! There's your answer. Stupid people will vote him into the White House.

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2013

Tear down the fences. It's a human right to move freely and choose where one lives.

by Anonymousreply 2303/04/2013

R21 is right. Plus it doesn't help that the anti-immigration politicians and voters tend to come off as incredibly racist douchebags which only rallies Latinos against them.

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2013

Very interesting. I'm wondering if the calculation is too abandon Latinos and hope that African Americans' enthusiasm fades again.

I'm hoping for Hillary. She would trump them all.

by Anonymousreply 2503/04/2013

Jeb Bush no longer relevant.

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

It's really commonsense. Just look at Los Angeles and the effect illegal immigration has had on that city. White and black democrats will regret the day they voted immigration reform. The flood gates will open and that will be the end. Blacks are particularly dumb. They have already been chased out of Los Angeles. Do you really think Mexicans will care about anyone else, once they gain power? Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 2703/05/2013

[quote]Jeb Bush no longer relevant.

Just like Karl Rove. That's whey Rove hasn't been heard from since November. He's no longer relevant.

by Anonymousreply 2903/05/2013

What town, r28?

by Anonymousreply 3003/05/2013

[quote]I go home to my little town in New England and want to cry when I see what they have done to it and our once beautiful Protesant downtown.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 3103/05/2013

Fun Fact: Not all immigrants are not all from Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 3203/05/2013

@32. Don't be naive. There are about 150 million of them on our southern with millions itching to get into this country.

by Anonymousreply 3303/05/2013

[quote]Not all immigrants are not all from Mexico.

Is this your way of letting us know that you learned English as a second language?

by Anonymousreply 3403/05/2013

Oh the arrogance of the Americans. Buddy, America ain't what it used to be.

July 2011 Better Lives for Mexicans Cut Allure of Going North

by Anonymousreply 3503/05/2013

BUILD THE DANG FENCE!!!

by Anonymousreply 3603/05/2013

I'm another one who is wondering whether "latins" are as predictable on the immigration issue as the rather simplistic polling suggests.

by Anonymousreply 3703/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.