Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

40 year-old Gay men who live with their parents because they are unemployed and can't find work

Hard times happen to all of us.

If a gay man over 40 still lives with his parents, because he can't find work.

What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

I don't know what your question is. But what does it have to do with their age or that they're gay? I know a lot of people who have been unemployed for months on end and have had to go to extremes to remain in their housing and pay their bills.

If they're a lazy piece of shit that's one thing. But if they were laid off and haven't been able to find work, it's another thing.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

Err, what are you actually asking people to vote for, OP?

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

R1 there are some DLers here who feel there is NO excuse out there that justifies living with your parents at any age over 18.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

Oops my question got cut off.

Is it wrong to live with your parents over the age of 40 if you are unemployed and can't find work.

Yes or No.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

It's not wrong at all. What a dumb question!

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

In this economy it's not unusual for adult kids to move back home temporarily when they've lost a job. They stay with their parents for a while and once they find work and get back on their feet they move out. This has happened to several people I know over the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

It is the responsibility of every adult to acquire job skills so they are employable.

Rather than being stuck in low-end low paying jobs or sitting at home, one should try to acquire a marketable skill,

That is the qualifier about living with one's parents as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

What a dumb thread. What does being gay have to do with moving back with your parents because you're jobless? Dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

[quote] What does being gay have to do with moving back with your parents because you're jobless?

Because this is a gay forum

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

well if it means being homeless or moving in with parents, maybe they should move in with the parents

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

OP, I'm 50 and was working abroad when I suddenly had to come back to the US due to visa issues. Since I was doing low paid work, I had only enough money to get my ass back to the States and now I'm staying with my 72 y.o. mom because I'm broke and haven't found a job.

I've been here for two months, and I'm confident I'll find something to tide me over until I get another gig in my field (some kind of humanitarian/relief/development work, most likely in Latin America), but until then, it's me and mom. Since I've picked up and moved back home once in the past because she needed me, and because she's thrilled to have me and we get along great, I don't feel bad in the least.

Anyone in my family would do the same, as I would for them, and have, not just for my mom, but my younger sister when she had a very serious health crisis. I'm very lucky to have a close, happy family who support me. It helps that I'm getting temp work to pay my for my food, phone, etc., but with or without that, we take care of each other. That's one of the things family is supposed to be for.

Why let some sneering fool's disapproval bother you at all?

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

Several of my friends have had to do this temporarily. In this shitty economy, I wouldn't judge anyone negatively for it.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

R8, there are several vocal gay posters on Datalounge who post about how they've lived with their mother their entire lives and have never lived on their own.

These posters have convinced themselves that they cannot find a job so they can continue to live with their mother endlessly.

They are also pathologically overly attached to their mother.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

There are also some vocal gay posters who say a homeless shelter would be better than living with your parents.

Or even couch surfing.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

R7 you're a first-class pretentious asshole. Many people with degrees and/or skills can't find jobs. I'm sure you're the one in the office no one likes.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

Just wait R15

More comments like R7 will be coming soon.

Like I said for some DLers, there is no justification for moving back in with the folks.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

Their families must hate them, R16, or maybe they're just cold people. Either way, it's odd they can't understand all families are not like theirs.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

There may have been a time in the past that I would have looked on a 40 year old unemployed man living with his parents. The economy has been so ad and unemployment numbers so high that i can understand how someone could be in this situation.

I just can't judge someone who is trying to get their life together but need a little help and, I imagine it would be really hard not to fall into a deep depression and giving up. I think a good way to avoid this and rack up some good karma is to use the free time you have when not looking for a job to volunteer. It can improve your self esteem and make you feel like you are contributing to society.

When you are not sure how to put your life back together look to other people who have gone through similar hardships and come out on top for inspiration. People like the 2013 Best Actress Academy Award Winner Jenifer Lawrence. When Jennifer decided to pursue acting as a career many told her that she was crazy and her chances of being successful were very slim. Jennifer refused to let others negativity stop her. She continued to perfect her craft all the while generously giving any free time she had to volunteer for several charities as well preform many random humanitarian acts on a daily basis. Her amazing valor in the face of professional adversity and her uncompromising belief in one persons ability to make the world a better is what makes her a person whose example we can all learn from.

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

[quote]Is it wrong to live with your parents over the age of 40 if you are unemployed and can't find work.

Not at all. What else are they going to do? Live on the street? Besides, their parents chose to bring them into this shitty cut-throat world, so it's their responsibility to help them out during desperate times.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

R7 here. Yes, the economy and the state of society which are not producing enough jobs is a also a reason for temporarily living with one's parents.

But acquiring a new skill may also be necessary.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

R14, no poster has ever suggested that a homeless shelter would be a solution rather than live with one's mother or parents.

Stop making things up.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

R22? Is that a parody of some kind?

by Anonymousreply 2303/05/2013

I agree with the OP. There are 40 year-old Gay men who live with their parents because they are unemployed and can't find work.

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

[quote] no poster has ever suggested that a homeless shelter would be a solution rather than live with one's mother or parents. Stop making things up.

From the thread "Who Still Lives At Home With Their Parents?" (link below)

[quote] My parents have been dead since the early 90's but if they were still alive I could never go back to live with them under any circumstances, mainly because my father was evil. I'd live in a tent in the woods first.

Not a homeless shelter, but close enough

R21 I expect an apology.

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.