Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I secretly feed coyotes

Live in Hollywood Hills, and backyard abuts wilderness land. People used to see the animals roaming the street - but since I give them food every night, they seem to stay on the other side of fenced-in area. They really are much more like dogs than I ever realized. I have grown to appreciate the coyote. And yes, I have a dog ofmy own . Luckily, my house is built up, with terraces all around, so coyotes can not access my home. Animal lover, but am I doing wrong ?

by Wiley Coyotereply 6305/05/2013

[quote]am I doing wrong ?

I need to know if you are feeding them your neighborhood's cats or children before I answer this.

by Wiley Coyotereply 103/04/2013

Just make sure you're feeding them healthy, natural food.

by Wiley Coyotereply 203/04/2013

[quote] but am I doing wrong ?

Yes, otherwise you wouldn't be doing it secretly.

by Wiley Coyotereply 303/04/2013

Eventually they will attack you. They are not to be trusted, ever. And they will forever associate people with food, so you are endangering anyone who walks in nature.

by Wiley Coyotereply 403/04/2013

replace "coyotes" with "alligators" or "sharks" and think about it for a second.

by Wiley Coyotereply 503/04/2013

Just before I read this, an adorable squirrel came up to me on the patio and begged for food. Obviously, he has lost his fear of people and is being fed elsewhere. It was hard, but I didn't give him anything. They (the folks) recommend that you not feed wild animals for many reasons; important among them is that they abandon their normal feeding habits.

by Wiley Coyotereply 603/04/2013

Dogs Attacked by Coyote in Hollywood Hills

by Wiley Coyotereply 703/04/2013

[quote] In order to reduce the potential danger attributed to the presence of coyotes, residents are encouraged to reduce what these animals are seeking, which is primarily food and water.

by Wiley Coyotereply 803/04/2013

I knew the coyote population was growing because of someone on DL!

by Wiley Coyotereply 903/04/2013

When I lived in the canyons in San Diego we always knew coyotes were a threat to our pets and never let them out or never had any. Now they are apparently a threat to people too. I wonder if it's from them being fed. They are disgusting scavengers and wouldn't hesitate to eat a person. There was a Canadian girl singer a few years ago who got killed by coyotes while out on a walk, I think it was in LA. She was a smallish person and they just took her down and killed her. Scary..

by Wiley Coyotereply 1003/04/2013

[quote]In the absence of the harassment of coyotes practiced by rural people, urban coyotes are losing their fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally or unintentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes have begun to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.[68] Nonrabid coyotes in these areas will sometimes target small children, mostly under the age of 10, though some adults have been bitten.

by Wiley Coyotereply 1103/04/2013

As a broad rule, it is never good to feed wild animals. I do have bird feeders, though, in the winter.

by Wiley Coyotereply 1203/04/2013

Humans encroaching on land that used to belong to wild animals that once freely roamed. We've also destroyed many of their food sources.

So who is the real threat?

by Wiley Coyotereply 1303/04/2013

She knew that she was doing wrong!

by Wiley Coyotereply 1403/04/2013

During the Depression in the slums, my grandmother fed the rats so they wouldn't bite her babies...

by Wiley Coyotereply 1503/04/2013

You are encouraging a wild animal to come into your neighborhood. I appreciate that your dog might be safe but other cats and dogs are vulnerable. SHAME ON YOU, STOP IT !

by Wiley Coyotereply 1603/04/2013

Christ! What some people won't post just to get reactions/responses. Are you seriously that lonely, OP? If, in fact, you are feeding these predators, you're the bigger menace in your neighborhood than the coyotes...but then, you knew that when you posted this nonsense!

by Wiley Coyotereply 1703/04/2013

Stop tossing snausages from your deck.

by Wiley Coyotereply 1803/04/2013

sounds like you have a rich, fabulous home. jealous

by Wiley Coyotereply 1903/04/2013

Bad idea, OP. They don't know the difference between you and your neighbors. They aren't thinking, hey, there's Bob with our snack! You are teaching them to associate humans with easy food. When they wander into your neighbors yard looking for their snack and haul off with a pet or even a small child, you are putting the coyote population at risk. Knock it off.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2003/04/2013

Don't feed the bobcats. I saw two on separate occasions a few years ago on Mulholland and Benedict Canyon.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2103/04/2013

The problem, depending on how long you've been feeding them, is that if you discontinue the practice they will be forced to seek food elsewhere - i.e. your neighbor's pet or small child.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2203/04/2013

Just like bears in places like Lake Tahoe, a popular vacation/ski area on the border between N. Calif & Nevada: black bears aren't huge & terrifying like grizzlies, people think they're cute (which is true) & encourage them with treats. The bears get comfy/cocky & start raiding garbage cans, breaking into cars & sheds, coming up on porches & decks to open/burst through screen doors, ransacking kitchens, etc. They don't generally attack pets or people, but they would defend if they felt cornered -- so rangers shoot them with tranquilizer guns & move them to more remote areas, but it's only a matter of time before some person gets scared enough to kill a bear, or vice versa.

I love animals way more than people, but it's not a kindness to feed an animal in an area that's populated by humans.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2303/04/2013

There's a saying that describes what R23 is saying: A fed bear is a dead bear. Apply the concept to the coyotes. Feeding attracts them to uour neighborhood. Which results in them becoming habituated. Which results in them becoming potentially dangerous to humans and pets. Which results in them being euthanized by Wildlife officials.

STOP feeding them.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2403/04/2013

The bears get "cocky"? Like Jeremy Piven?

by Wiley Coyotereply 2503/04/2013

Coyotes are not exclusive to the glamorous environs of the OP. We have them here in my mundane Middle American town. I wouldn't feed them personally as from all reports they are extremely resourceful at finding things to eat. They eat garbage and rodents and rabbits and cats and dogs (the small ones--larger dogs they'll fuck, if in season) and there was even one spotted recently sniffing around an elementary school.

BTW, besides interbreeding with domestic dogs they are also capable of successfully breeding with wolves. Which means BIG fucking coyotes. I personally would not encourage them to hang around my neighborhood.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2603/04/2013

Ask the local constabulary what they think of your practice. I can assure you, you won't be confused anymore.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2703/04/2013

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, OP. You sound like a nice person.

by Wiley Coyotereply 2803/04/2013

You would probably enjoy this book, OP.

[quote]I have learned a great deal about the systematic extermination of wolves from a beautiful and heartbreaking book called The Lost Wolves of Japan by the environmental historian Brett Walker, who seeks “to explain why one species—our species, Homo sapiens—has worked so tirelessly to destroy another.” Walker points out that before Japan began its rapid modernization during the last quarter of the nineteenth century—under pressure from American forces and with the help of American experts, many of whom came from New England—wolves were considered sacred: “Grain farmers worshiped wolves at shrines, beseeching this elusive canine to protect their crops from the sharp hooves and voracious appetites of wild boars and deer.”

by Wiley Coyotereply 2903/04/2013

You're a lovely person OP. I wish there were more true animal lovers like you around, rather than animal collectors who treat their pets as nothing more than possessions instead of members of the family. People who go out of their ways to treat wild animals kindly have good karma.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3003/04/2013

Just never start feeding the raccoons. Trust me on that one. Oh dear God trust me on that one.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3103/04/2013

R23, my cousin has an awesome house on Lake Tahoe. A couple of years ago bears neatly slit the screen door and went right to the freezer and ate a couple gallons of ice cream. They did the EXACT SAME THING to her neighbors and ignored bowls of fruit and berries (their natural diet) and only ate the ice cream.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3203/04/2013

I don't wanna hear nothing' 'bout no bears.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3303/04/2013

I live in the hills above the Sunset Strip. I love to go for late night runs down Sunset Blvd. One night around 9pm, I'm running just west of Doheny and I run RIGHT INTO a pack of five or six coyotes. They stopped. I stopped. It was fucking surreal. I was on Sunset fucking Blvd!

I just backpedaled, kept facing them, until the got bored with me and trotted away. I'm a big guy. One or two I could have kicked off me. But five or six? No way.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3403/04/2013

OP, just for shits and giggles, I put a small pan of my late cat's food on the deck every day. The next morning it was gone. Finally I got to meet the cat, and after a few bumps, we have been a family for 6 years.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3503/04/2013

You sound rich, I mean, hot. Are you single?

by Wiley Coyotereply 3603/04/2013

You wouldn't even have kicked one off of you if it wanted to take you down.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3703/04/2013

Coyotes are not the same thing as wolves. Wolves are endangered over most of their former ranges in the lower 48. Like the big cats, they have a natural fear of humans, and shy away from human habitations.

Not so the bastard coyote. Like raccoons, coyotes thrive at the margins of human habitation, and will go all in if encouraged by feeding.

This is not a good thing, as their numbers tend to explode easily, given the indiscriminate interbreeding with local domesticated, semi feral, and feral dog populations.

by Wiley Coyotereply 3803/04/2013

[quote]The bears get "cocky"? Like Jeremy Piven?

No, like the NY Yankees -- fka "Napolean complex".

by Wiley Coyotereply 3903/04/2013

It's because of YOU a Dingo ate my baby!

by Wiley Coyotereply 4003/04/2013

Wolves and otters. Thems my favorites.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4103/04/2013

Cute troll post, OP. 8/10.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4203/04/2013

Bad op. NO!

by Wiley Coyotereply 4303/04/2013

OP, Werner Herzog has been trying to get in touch with you.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4403/04/2013

I think the point OP was making, wrong or not, is that by feeding them he was keeping them from going into the neighborhood around people. Maybe communities who have coyotes should have designated feeding areas where they can be fed and they won't mill around Sunset Blvd or eat cats and dogs.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4503/04/2013

R40 is right.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4603/05/2013

[quote] There was a Canadian girl singer a few years ago who got killed by coyotes while out on a walk, I think it was in LA.

Taylor Mitchell.

Not LA - she was hiking in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4703/05/2013

Breaking News: Coyote spotted in the desert wearing earrings and a caftan.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4803/05/2013

[quote]A couple of years ago bears neatly slit the screen door and went right to the freezer and ate a couple gallons of ice cream.

To be fair, it was right after the Black Party, and they did look fabulous.

by Wiley Coyotereply 4903/05/2013

Wow, I had no idea people would have so many opinions about my pals, the 4-pak. They really are facinating creatures, and I do enjoy seeing them, but I think I'm becoming a bit too interested in them . I had to stop myself the other day from buying a pair of night-goggles, so I can see them other when they come up to the fence, where there is a bit of light. I scare myself, with my obsessiveness.

by Wiley Coyotereply 5003/05/2013

R36, I believe OP's post at R50 proves he is indeed single.

by Wiley Coyotereply 5103/05/2013

[quote]As a broad rule, it is never good to feed wild animals. I do have bird feeders, though, in the winter.

Whatever did the bird population do before you came along? hmmmmmmm

by Wiley Coyotereply 5203/05/2013

OP, we all hope the coyotes come scratching at your house smelling your bleeding twat next month and find that basement window that has never latched right.

Then we'll see about your little funny issue about feeding wild animals.

by Wiley Coyotereply 5303/05/2013

RE 51 - I am not single - I live in my own home, and longtime BF lives in his, nearby.

by Wiley Coyotereply 5403/07/2013

How is Wile E.?

by Wiley Coyotereply 5504/30/2013

I am secretly one of those coyotes.

by Wiley Coyotereply 5604/30/2013

Those Wilde E. Coyote and Road runner cartoons taught me at an early age how smart and ruthless coyotes are. But I didn't know they could kill people. Think 'gang of dogs'.

OP, you're being played. Stop feeding them, they know how to find food w/o your pesky human assistance. I'm an animal lover too, but some animals just don't need your interference, be it good, or just being ignorant.

by Wiley Coyotereply 5704/30/2013

If OP stops feeding them they'll break into his house and devour him.

OP, you're fucked.

by Wiley Coyotereply 5804/30/2013

I know who you are, and I know what you did!

by Wiley Coyotereply 5904/30/2013

Thanks OP.

by Wiley Coyotereply 6004/30/2013

They've had babies, and are thriving. I've done well

by Wiley Coyotereply 6105/05/2013

Coyotes are very smart and they adapt to a new environment easily.

A pack of them was observed sending a female coyote who was in heat to a yard to coax a domesticated dog into the woods. When the dog followed her into the woods, the pack jumped and killed the dog.

by Wiley Coyotereply 6205/05/2013

Dag, them coyotes are thugs.

by Wiley Coyotereply 6305/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!