Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it fair to indoctrinate your kids into your religion?

I think it's akin to circumsizing a baby. Keep your hands off my brain!

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

It's quite as bad as circumcision as the smart kids will grow up make their own minds up whereas with circumcision - it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

Are we talking about circumcizing a baby boy, or a baby girl?

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

Some people raise their children in a religious tradition because such traditions are also tied closely to a particular culture, a culture which the parents want their children to be familiar with.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

Another very dumb thread. People have children to pass on their genes, their culture, their beliefs and their values. If someone is Jewish, should exclude their children from all the traditions they've grown up in?

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

I agree r3, but having been forced to go to church when I was a kid made it a complete turnoff for me later on. Anyway, Christianity is a jumbled up, hard to understand mess with hypocrites and assholes, generally, as the adherents. Parents should be able to do as they see fit, but I think they are well advised not to use force as far as religion goes. We simply had to go and my parents didn't even ask if we liked the service or what we were learning, it was a dictation, which I hated. It seemed like you had to put up with a bunch of frustrated old bags in school all week, only to have to usually do chores on Saturday then get up early to go to fucking church on Sunday and hear some minister shout at the top of his lungs. Needless to say, I am about as repelled by church as anyone could be today (am 58)although the Catholic Church can be somewhat entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

I consider it child abuse to raise a child with religion.

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

No, it's not fair, although there's no point telling that to religious people. In their minds, they're doing their kids a service by passing "the truth" onto them.

I despise organized religion, but I don't really hold it against my parents that they forced Catholicism on me. They meant well. I also have to recognize that they grew up in a world where they didn't have anywhere near as much access to alternative viewpoints as I have. These days, more and more people are ditching the religion they grew up with thanks to technology giving them instant access to all sorts of differing viewpoints. This is a trend that's only going to continue.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

I suppose it may be the parents' right to introduce their religion to their child, but they should really let the kid choose his/her own path once they reach their teenage years or earlier if they wish. If the child moves away from the parents' religion, the parents should learn to accept it and move on.

I was actually raised Buddhist (Soka Gakkai). I didn't mind when I was younger but by the time I was in high school I had little interest, other than some associated social activities. Unfortunately, I was forced to participate and that just made me resentful. Even as an adult, my mother still tries to get me to practice.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

My parents were not religious but thought that we should have some basic biblical knowledge. They chose a fairly liberal, laid back Episcopalian church. We went to Sunday school and colored pictures of the ark and other "nice" little stories from the bible. I didn't believe any of it then.

I guess it's come in handy with crossword puzzles.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

You couldn't get me into a church when I was a kid. After Santa Claus, I refused to take anything on faith alone. I needed evidence. My father was a leader of the Unitarian Universalists in my town, so I went there. It was generic and very gay friendly. I would never want my kids to feel they have to accept some ancient dogma telling them whom to hate and how to run their lives.

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

It's not just circumcision or religion - they dump everything on their kids - their neuroses, their biases, their narrow view of the world, their ambitions etc etc - how many parents just leave their kids alone, how many of them do not poison them or screw them up in some way - not many

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

No, it's not fair and I feel that it can be abuse.

Maybe other people had a better experience than I did growing up with religion being pushed on them. My parents had me go to a Lutheran school from K thru 8th grade. We had religion classes every day, church every Wednesday morning that was pretty much an hour long heavy duty religious lecture, plus our families were expected to make sure we attended church on Sunday. The God I learned about was not a God of love but one that was like a snotty sister looking for me to do something wrong so I could be punished. When my older brother was killed in Viet Nam the pastor came to our house and instead quoting a bible verse that might have brought some comfort to my patents who were devastated by the loss of their son he quoted the bible verse about the sins of of the fathers being paid for by the sons for generations. I was 7 and I was so afraid that maybe it was my sins were what had caused my brothers death, or that my dad had committed some huge sin that only God knew about and had punished our family for. Every time something bad would happen we were told it was punishment for our 'sins'.

When we got to the age where we studied for confirmation we had 90 minute religion classes every day, special two hour classes we had to attend on Saturday and we had to attend church on Sunday and take notes on the sermon.

I'm friends with quite a few of the people I went to grade school with and almost none of them have anything to do with religion, and didn't have their children have anything to do with religion as they grew up.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

R13, your story is very moving. And an unfortunate illustration of the evil religion can do.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!