Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Keith Olbermann lets ESPN know he is available for hire: ESPN response? Thanks, but no thanks.

Keith Olbermann has burned a lot of bridges, but seems eager to build one back to ESPN.

The anchor, who is suing his most recent employer, Current TV, has made several overtures to the sports network he left in 1997, the New York Times reports. His efforts included a recent dinner with ESPN president John Skipper.

Skipper told the newspaper he had dinner with the former "Sportscenter" cohost because he believed Olbermann would be "provocative and witty and fun to have dinner with." He added that Olbermann "was indeed lots of fun."

"Clearly he was looking to see if there was an entry point to come back," Skipper said.

But he did not come away ready to rehire the notoriously difficult Olbermann, who left MSNBC on bad terms before he joined Current.

"After the dinner, at that point, there was no real appropriate place for Keith to come back, nor did I feel like I was prepared to bring him back," Skipper told the Times. He explained that it is difficult to rehire talent at ESPN, because "when somebody leaves, somebody else fills their place."

Olbermann's charm offensive apparently includes his comment to the Times, in which he lavished Skipper with praise: "I had the privilege to spend some time with John Skipper," he said. "His vision and charm were readily apparent, and judging by his leadership, his family name was prophetic."

In the months since the dinner, Olbermann's representatives have continued looking for possible opportunities for Olbermann at ESPN, the Times reported, citing a senior executive at the network and someone directly involved with Olbermann's efforts.

If ESPN does give him a shot, Olbermann will be ready: He spent much of the weekend tweeting images from Major League Baseball's spring training.

by Anonymousreply 2903/05/2013

Dear Keith,

You obviously cannot work for anyone, and any organization that hires you must set aside millions in an escrow fund against the certainty of your taking legal and verbal action against it.

Do seriously think any positive contribution you might make is worth the inevitable headache and disruption you WILL cause?

Besides, ESPN is a joke now. You were so iconoclastic that every young sportscaster in the world aspires to be the new Olbermann, Patrick, or Scott. None is as talented as you. But they are good corporate drones. You are not. This is what you wrought.

Just take your millions and start a network of your own. Or ask your equally ego-driven friend Cenk Uygur for a spot at his Internet network. He loves sports, you love sports, and neither of you can work for anybody else.

Win-win!

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

Next?

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

Poor guy. While he may be an outspoken liberal who was a great voice of reason during the dark ages of the Bush, jr. reign he must have suffered such a great deal of backlash and bullying that it screwed with his head to go against his own employers like this.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

R3, liberal or conservative backlash didn't do anything to Keith.

Keith just can't stay with anyone long-term without sabotaging himself and making life difficult for his coworkers. And making it difficult for fans and supporters to keep defending him. He did that at ESPN years ago when he was a relative unknown outside the sports world. Nobody knew his political POV back then.

And it's NEVER his fault, not even a little bit? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

LOL! Oh Keith, you're not even fit for lowly sportscasting.

Go away, count your money and enjoy your obscurity. We certainly are.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

Fox is starting a new sports channel. They hired Regis!

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

Didn't Olbermann become "progressive" and "liberal" only AFTER he went to MSNBC and they learned that if they turned left, they'd score viewers?

His liberalism, I'm afraid, is a fake one.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

R1/R4 here. Let me say I disagree with R5, though I totally get it.

I think KO has a lot of talent to offer any organization, but he needs to take his shrinks seriously and do the work it takes to change. As it stands now, any organization would be foolish to hire him for anything longer than a 2 year contract.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

He's a fucking nightmare. Maybe that egomaniacal asshole should just resign himself to the FACT that he'll never get a full time job again.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

No, R7. He was a liberal while at CNBC, when they were.pushing the likes of John McEnroe and other conservatives/"libertarians" as show hosts.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

Maybe Fox has an opening for him?

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

r7 Keith "Mr. 99%" Olbermann went through eight different car service drivers while at Current. He reportedly had drivers replaced for having the audacity to actually speak to him. He also complained that they "smelled".

Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

Keith on Letterman, comparing himself to a $10 million chandelier (I guess Current is the non-house).

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

That New York Times article also said:

Some at ESPN were glad to see him go; he was considered the network’s most controversial personality. Olbermann’s encyclopedic knowledge of sports was not disputed, nor were his writing skills or on-air talent. But over time, he managed to alienate a sizable group in the company, who found him exasperating to work with.

The powers that be at ESPN have to be asking themselves if it's worth it. Then there's Olbermann vs Current TV that goes to trial in May. Who knows what damning information is going to surface. That stupid, arrogant chandelier remark won't help.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

"Olbermann’s encyclopedic knowledge of sports was not disputed"

Uh-oh. Hate to be an armchair psychologist, but it sounds like Keithy might have a touch of the Asperger's. They are often obsessed with one subject and cannot communicate well.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

Keith was an important voice during the dark era of the Bush Admin. At that time, the mainstream media were afraid to call the Admin out. They were the culprits who helped Bush sell the Iraq War to Americans. Remember all the "you're with us or against us," or how they used 911-terrorist to shut their dissenters up? That was the era we lived in.

Then came Keith. He wasn't afraid to scold the Bush WH. I remember his commentary was riveting because he spoke out things we all wanted to say. When liberals were told to shut up or you're aiding and abetting the enemy, Keith was the lone voice in broadcast news who refused to shut up.

Times have changed and I hope that when Keith lands another gig, he will be mindful that we live in a different era and viewers' tastes have changed.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

He stiffs waiters. Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

On the plus side I've never heard that he treats women inappropriately.

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

Keith and Rosie O'Donnell co-host a new show. CNN can use the ratings!

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

Someone on here said they blew him in a hotel twice.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

Someone on here always says he blew a celebrity in a hotel twice.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

For the love of God...... NO!

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2013

Why newscasting/sportscasting? Why can't he play Mr. Drummond in a revival of "Diff'rent Strokes"?

by Anonymousreply 2303/04/2013

R18, talk to the female interns at ESPN during Keith's tenure there, and you won't assume what you assume now.

Unfortunately, sexual harassment of ESPN interns is SOP there in Bristol and LA.

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2013

[quote]Why can't he play Mr. Drummond in a revival of "Diff'rent Strokes"?

He and Eugene Levy should team up as brothers who are a pair of comic con men. Olbermann could be the uptight one in the bow-tie and Levy could be the outspoken slob.

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

What a shame. He obviously has talents. A good mind, an ability to write well and good on-air presentation.

If his mental/emotional problems are keeping him from getting work, he needs to find a great therapist and stay the course.

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

Countdown was a great news program and I agreed with Keith the majority of the time, but there is no doubt that it's impossible for him to get along with ANYONE and no one wants to bother hiring him because it's going to inevitably be too much trouble.

by Anonymousreply 2703/05/2013

Isn't Keith known to be too difficult to work with?

by Anonymousreply 2803/05/2013

that limo stuff was BS. Current didn't pay their bills and the limo service sometimes didn't even show up.

try again freeper...let's see...umm how about the bathtub boy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2903/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.