Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rich White Woman Decides She Didn't Want to Adopt Her Chinese Kids After All

Link is to Gawker.

by Anonymousreply 8503/05/2013

You can give them back when you tire of them? Dammit, why did nobody ever tell me that?

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

I'm surprised this isn't done more often.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

This woman is disgusting. I'm surprised she was even able to adopt children. The policies should be tightened.

Now that China's getting rich, I'm pretty sure it'll get harder and harder for people outside of China to be able to adopt children from China.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

What does her race have to do with anything OP.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

I've always been of the belief that if someone is going to adopt, they should adopt American kids. There's a lot of them in need of a home. Why go to China or Russia? It's more expensive and time consuming to go through the waiting period and all the paperwork.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

CUNT

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

R4 is quite right; the monstrous adoptive mother's race is irrelevant. Actually, so is the land of origin of the child, although the probable fact that the kid is of another race might have factored into the story.

Some of you, though, are severely misguided about the availability of adoptable kids in this country. The mechanics of domestic adoption have rendered foreign adoptions more attractive. China, though, is one of several countries closing, or at least narrowing, their doors to American prospective parents.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

[quote]The mechanics of domestic adoption have rendered foreign adoptions more attractive.

Mom can't show up ten years later wanting her kid back.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

Move over, Patsy Ramsey and Helen Lawson. I think DL has a brand new heroine. Bow down to Queen Christine, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

She had 6 freakin' kids already. And then her whole, "I was a mess, I didn't know what I was doing" excuse.

No, that's when you eat too much chocolate or order a whole set of Laugh-In DVDs you saw advertised on late night TV.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

I personally think that if people want to adopt so bad, they shouldn't be able to choose the race of the child they get. If they really wanted kids, they wouldn't care.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

What are you babbling about R14? What the hell does politics have to do with this?

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

Funny, all the kids I've met who were adopted didn't have RAD.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

r14 is a freeper. He's in other threads doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

r5/r10, stop trying to make this a racial issue and something you know very little about. The majority of children in the US foster care system are NOT available for adoption. Their parents, although not able to care for them, have refused to give up parental rights. In many cases, this leads to an entire childhood spent in the foster care system.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

China's birthrate is rising because the financial penalty for more than one child is no longer beyond the means of most people.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

this one was even worse

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

American adoptions of white kids is practically impossible unless you can compete on the private adoption market--i.e. can pay large amounts for the mother's "expenses" or happen to know the mother. As far as adopting non-white children in the US, many couples rightly or wrongly want a baby and most adoptable children in the US are not babies, and they also typically seek a child of their own race first. Some people are not equipped to raise a child of a different race. Too many well intention whites try to raise African American kids with a "race is not an issue" attitude in a society in which it is. Until fairly recently many African American social workers were against such adoptions.

Termination of parental rights in the US can be very lengthy and many social service agencies are for reunification first, so if there is a chance that a child in foster services can be returned to his or her family, they cannot be adopted.

In other words adopting in the US is complicated.

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2013

[quote]China, though, is one of several countries closing, or at least narrowing, their doors to American prospective parents.

And, clearly, for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2013

How much self-delusion must this woman possess to think she could mother this child? I went through more introspection and priority management when I got my dog.

by Anonymousreply 2503/04/2013

R23=freeper fascist pig. Gays can't adopt in most of the USA, so they go abroad. Duh. This woman was not gay and probably could easily adopt in the US with her wealth.

by Anonymousreply 2603/04/2013

An Russian kid adopted by Texans recently dies, and Russian agents arrived to investigate. So there's that (not that they want to protect the kids, but that foreigners are intruding).

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2013

R23 I know quite a few democrats who have adopted black kids right here in the US. One was a single woman who never married but wanted to help out some kids. So quit with your nonsense. Political affiliation has nothing to do with adoptions. They are really nice kids and she's doing a great job with them.

I find it ironic though that many people who scream about abortion being murder never adopt kids. Forced birth and then fuck 'em all seems to be their ideology. They are usually religious, rightwing nuts.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2013

Hypocrite has an E at the end - hypocrite

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2013

What is this RAD business? It sounds like the kid is just shy and awkward. Which I'd imagine is PRETTY freaking normal if your parents give you away...

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2013

Since when do post-menopausal women think it's a good idea to wear white, strapless wedding gowns? Judging from photos taken closer up, she's been post-menopausal for a while.

The Daily Mail took some of the family's personal photos from their Facebook page. All of the bio children are so Nordic/Scandinavian-looking it's kind of funny.

Am I completely cynical for thinking it's clearly a case of "two of these things are not like the others, two of these things do not belong."?

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2013

[quote] Her reason for giving up Eric: "I couldn't handle seven children," Svenningsen answered.

She should have given me a call!

by Anonymousreply 3303/04/2013

In her defense, being Chinese is nature not nurture. I'm sure she was stunned when they turned out to be chinese.

by Anonymousreply 3403/04/2013

What people, R35?

Exactly who is making it "hard" to adopt these children?

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2013

I was sitting at a lunch in the Hamptons with a woman who dropped by. She had been "booted out" of her Hamptons Home by her husband and she was pissed. She'd spend the weekends visiting her old friends there. She talked to me about doing everything she could to save her marriage. "I was even willing to adopt a Chinese baby. And you know you have to have them de-loused before you can bring them back into this country."

I'll never forget that statement, and how afterwards I said a silent prayer she hadn't been able to adopt...or keep the house.

by Anonymousreply 3703/04/2013

R32, are you a time traveler visiting us from the Victorian era? "Since when" is it required for a woman to be fertile in order to wear a white strapless gown?

White wedding dresses no longer symbolize virginity. It's just a tradition now and has been for the last 50 years. Otherwise, literally NO ONE would be able to wear a white gown.

by Anonymousreply 3803/04/2013

Christ, R38. You missed the entire point.

by Anonymousreply 3903/04/2013

White babies who are up for adoption are few and far between because many, if not most, white American girls who have unwanted pregnancies get abortions.

by Anonymousreply 4003/04/2013

What was your point, R39?

Please enlighten us as to why you felt it relevant to point out that a *gasp* "post menopausal" woman wore a white strapless wedding dress.

by Anonymousreply 4203/04/2013

R19 - You're the one who doesn't seem to know what they're talking about. There are over 100k kids in the US available for adoption. Race IS a big reason people don't want to adopt them, as is age.

by Anonymousreply 4303/04/2013

I can't get past the fact that you linked to Gawker.

by Anonymousreply 4403/04/2013

This isn't even a case of "buyers remorse" or someone not knowing what they were getting into by adopting a child. This is simply a case of greed. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 4503/04/2013

isn't adoption more difficult now because the bith parents have more rights (even if they are parents with problems and not the best parents etc)

I'm sure some are worried about the race of the child, though.

People criticize others for adoption children of different races or not adopting children of different races.

People should only be allowed to adopt or have children if they are kind - of course impossible

by Anonymousreply 4603/04/2013

Yeah, it's children as objects, the culture of consumption. Return within 20 days and get your money back.

by Anonymousreply 4703/04/2013

I wonder why people think this is so terrible, but think it's okay when people adopt children from Russia and then dump them? Because the stereotypes about those children are different? It seems that the racism here isn't operating quite the way everyone is presuming it does.

by Anonymousreply 4803/04/2013

No worry. I buy and sell old bitch when I get my inheritance from my "dad". White bitch shouldn't have fucked me over! I won't even have to bang annoying old Jew. Take lesson from me, Soon-Yi.

by Anonymousreply 4903/04/2013

[quote]What was your point, [R39]?

It looks like shit on her.

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2013

R45 is right. Greed. Bitch didn't want to share the money.

by Anonymousreply 5103/04/2013

I'm actually more concerned with her hair. Why would a wealthy woman have soccer frau hair?

by Anonymousreply 5203/04/2013

There are nearly a half million children in the US foster care system. About a quarter of them are available for adoption. Many are older children, part of sibling groups who shouldn't be separated, and have extensive emotional challenges.

If more unfit parents gave up their children at birth, instead of waiting until they were saddled with learning disabilities and emotional issues, and were older and part of sibling groups, US adoption would be a lot more attractive to adoptive parents.

by Anonymousreply 5303/04/2013

I wish they would stop letting religious zealots adopt them.

by Anonymousreply 5403/04/2013

[quote]Narcissists adopt Chinese girls in the hope that these girls will support them in old age.

Isn't this the reason most (narcissistic) people have biological children as well? We're all inherently selfish assholes at the core.

by Anonymousreply 5503/04/2013

The bottom line is it's just a lot harder to take American children away from their parents by force. Single mothers aren't under the same pressure to give up their children as they used to be, and current child protective service policy is more towards trying to keep children with their families or putting them in foster care rather than pressuring the parents to give them up for adoption. And reading some of these stories you can see why. There truly are some genuinely fucked-up parents out there and wonderful adoptive parents, but the biological odds are that a parent that's genetically related to the child is going to have more of a stake in its survival than a stranger.

by Anonymousreply 5603/04/2013

R52, funny I thought the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2013

R47, show me someone who thinks it's okay to return Russian children. First, that person is an asshole. Second, that person is greatly outnumbered by the millions who think that returning children in that fashion is evil. You're setting up a straw man.

by Anonymousreply 5803/04/2013

One of the replies has to be from somebody here, the one about it not being fashionable anymore and giving to it to the help.

by Anonymousreply 5903/04/2013

The wealthy can be extremely cruel to their children...of course no one usually hears about it.

by Anonymousreply 6003/04/2013

My friend had to make an album of pictures of them and then the pregnant girl looks at the pictures and picks who she likes. So if you are young and attractive you have an advantage. Open adoption is what's popular, the birthmother can visit all the time and you are basically a babysitter for her kid.

by Anonymousreply 6103/04/2013

[quote]I wonder why people think this is so terrible, but think it's okay when people adopt children from Russia and then dump them?

WTF are you babbling about? Who here said they think dumping Russian adoptees is okay?

by Anonymousreply 6203/04/2013

It's the downtrodden white male posting again, R62.

by Anonymousreply 6303/04/2013

Russia has now banned Americans from adopting. However, getting one on the black market is quite a status symbol is some social circles.

by Anonymousreply 6403/04/2013

[quote]I wonder why people think this is so terrible, but think it's okay when people adopt children from Russia and then dump them?

That ONE Russian kid dumped had severe fetal alcohol syndrome and was too much for the adoptive mom. It was a mess all around, I agree, but...

by Anonymousreply 6503/04/2013

She shoulda done what this Russian baby adopter did and just "forget" the kids in the back of the car on a hot day.

Of course, Dad was acquitted of criminal charges.Whoops!

by Anonymousreply 6603/04/2013

Motherhood is an important job and should not be taken on for any reason other than a desire to love and nurture a child.. This woman should be ashamed of herself she gives women and mothers a bad name. It is such a shame the child was not adopted by one of the good mother out there.

Women like Karen Lawrence mother of Academy Award winner Jennifer Lawrence. Karen obviously did a fabulous job as she raised a truly wonderful daughter. It is easy to see within minutes of meeting Jennifer that she is someone who was raised to have a kind loving heart and a generous spirit. She is some who spreads love and joy everywhere she goes. Jennifer has said herself that she considers children to be a blessing and, motherhood to be a sacred duty. I am sure she would never treat a child with such craven disregard for their well-being.

by Anonymousreply 6703/04/2013

I have heard about other Russian kids being given back. There's even a special camp for these kids with RAD and I think they try there first before sending them back.

by Anonymousreply 6803/04/2013

Any child can be characterized by a parent as having a "defiance" disorder, and multiple Eastern European adoptees have been returned/abused to death because the parents have alleged defiance disorder, attachment disorder, FAS, etc. These problems don't occur in Chinese orphans? The bottom line is that stereotyping gives some adoptive parents a pass for ridding themselves of unwanted adoptive children, while demonizing others, like this woman.

by Anonymousreply 6903/04/2013

Well documented in Russia, R69. Might have been a cultural thing.

No "pass" though.

by Anonymousreply 7003/04/2013

r69 - a relative adopted from China and her child had almost like a nanny in the orphanage. Meanwhile in Russia there is one caretaker for a dozen babies. That's why there is a higher risk for RAD in Russian children.

by Anonymousreply 7103/04/2013

In addition to care taking differences between Russia and China that R71 mentions, almost all, if not all of the Chinese adoptees are girls [italic]and[/italic] it's highly unlikely that they have issues related to maternal substance abuse. Boys, in general, are more likely to act out and throw FAS into the mix...

by Anonymousreply 7203/04/2013

No. The reason is many Russian babies have FAS. Severe alcoholism is prevalent in Russia, but unfortunately FAS is not always identified until the baby becomes a toddler. Many early Russian adoptions went through with adoptive parents who were completely unaware of any developmental problems until it was too late. Some couldn't cope.

Chinese mothers typically do not abuse alcohol or drugs. That's a big reason Chinese babies became popular.

by Anonymousreply 7303/04/2013

Several years ago I was returning from China when a seemingly endless parade of passengers boarded the plane. I assumed this would be a trip from hell but it was really sweet. There were 40 very young children that were adopted and going home with there new parents. All but one were girls. The little boy had a harelip and was adopted by a preacher and his wife. The woman behind me had the most beautiful little girl. She told me about the process of adoption. It took 3 years with interviews, sending tax returns etc.... They were really checked out. It cost them 10,000.00 and she said the orphanage had multiple groups of 40 people all day. The children were dropped off at the orphanage, the children basically stayed in cribs with no clothing or diapers on and no real affection. It was great to see how happy the parents were. The children were quiet. You would have no idea 40 children were on the plane ( thankfully)

by Anonymousreply 7403/04/2013

Obviously, no one on this thread has ever seen "The Orphan."

by Anonymousreply 7503/04/2013

[quote]Women like Karen Lawrence mother of Academy Award winner Jennifer Lawrence. Karen obviously did a fabulous job as she raised a truly wonderful daughter.

Was Jennifer Lawrence adopted?

by Anonymousreply 7603/04/2013

That's women for ya!

by Anonymousreply 7703/04/2013

she's the wack a doo buying all the thimble islands here in Branford ct. This story does.not.surprise.me.at.all. She gets upset when people in boats or kayaks look at her islands from the water.

by Anonymousreply 7803/04/2013

r76 no Jennifer Lawrence was not adopted. I think r67 is a whackadoo.

by Anonymousreply 7903/05/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is NOT adopted - r67 is cray cray.

[quote] "The actress’s parents, Karen and Gary Lawrence, live in the same Indian Hills neighborhood where their daughter, a “surprise” and the youngest of three siblings, spent her childhood."[/quote]

by Anonymousreply 8003/05/2013

Ok now I'm convinced r67 is a our new Jennifer Lawrence Troll. The over the top worship with the goal of annoying the shit out of DL with this actress.

I see you, r67. You are no Streep Troll (TM)

by Anonymousreply 8103/05/2013

I don't feel for the woman who gave up the Chinese child and then got herself sued. I don't feel for her one bit.Read the article on the link. She recently spent 33 MILLION dollars buying up 10 of the Thimble Islands in the Long Island Sound, off the coast of Connecticut. She has the cash to pay. Just like the rich to be concerned about their money rather than obeying any contract or giving any cash to one no longer a part of their family.

The Thimble Islands are off the coast of one of the nicest shoreline part of the state of CT.

by Anonymousreply 8203/05/2013

Oh spare me the "Chinese mothers don't abuse" alcohol, orphans have their own nannies bit. The latter is just a cultural stereotype of the superior Asian, and the latter makes absolutely no sense--if they had the resources to assign a "nanny" to every orphan, why would they need adoptive parents? These are the fantasies white American parents feed themselves about adopting a high IQ well-bred obedient China doll. As this woman discovered, they may not be all they're cracked up to be, especially if you raise them like little Americans.

by Anonymousreply 8303/05/2013

33 Million for islands and still can't get herself a good hairstylist.

by Anonymousreply 8403/05/2013

There are ways to avoid messy lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 8503/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.