Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Melissa Harris-Perry: You White Devils Are Mocking Blacks By Doing The Harlem Shake

How is this fucking low-life ignorant bitch still on television? Get that lisp fixed already!

Of course the popular web site, Oh No They Didn't! went into their 'let's hang white people from trees' routine over this. lol

'Different cultures own different art forms. How dare anyone black do a black-invented dance!'

You know Mrs. Tyler-Perry, your free to die in a grease fire.

Video at link.

by Anonymousreply 14703/10/2015

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

I can kind of see her point, but I agree that it is ridiculous that she is so worked up over this issue.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

Know your history...

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

She's right as usual.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

Black people have no right to do the minuet.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

She's technically correct, but too earnest and angry about something most people don't give a shit about.. It's just a dumb dance. Makes her look foolish.

BTW--every culture gets ripped off. From the dawn of civilization we have stolen the very best ideas from each other: art, music, language, architecture, cuisine, etc. Trends start one way, then they morph and evolve. That's life.

Get a grip lady.

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

Apart that it's for doing viral videos...

If that was a valid theory then Blacks shouldn't have fun doing gangham style, or been ballet dancers or dance tango etc. Stupid theory that try to constrain people's freedom to dance to whatever they enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

Perhaps she shouldn't be so worked up about this internet meme, sure, but she is FAR from an idiot. And OP's op is racist.

Did she say "white devils"?

No she did not.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

It's not a dance. From what I have seen, it's one person simulating sex while a bunch of other people aren't doing anything. Then, all of a sudden, everyone is wearing a costume and simulating sex. Or, everyone is naked and simulating sex.

It doesn't take any skill or imagination. And the song hurts the ears.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

[quote]How is this fucking low-life ignorant bitch still on television?

Now who is it that is "ridiculously worked up?" Calm down OP. Her opinions aren't lethal. The first amendment is alive and well.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

Simulating sex? To me it seems like they are having an epileptic seizure. As silly as I think it looks, its significance is more political and social than artistic or aesthetical.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

She lives in New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

If she TRULY feels this way, she seriously needs to do an entire show about all the people Madonna has ripped off.

Damn that lisp IS annoying!

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

Black people stole it from epileptics.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2013

I don't get it.

The Harlem Shake that everyone is doing has nothing to do with black culture. It's not a black song. It's not a black dance.

So I'm left to believe that since it has the word Harlem in it, only black people are permitted to partake???

How nice of Ms. Perry to take something that has been bringing people of all types together in having some lighthearted fun and try to make it divisive.

by Anonymousreply 2303/04/2013

Some of you assholes need to remember something:

Melissa Harris-Perry isn't just some talking head on MSNBC; she's one of the world's most preeminent scholars when it comes to African American studies. Go ahead and try to stereotype her as just another "angry (uppity) black bitch"; however, her only crime is trying to facilitate an academic argument in a country full of idiots.

Fact: People would be highly offended if non-Native Americans went out of their way to mock Indian tribal dances. Hell, some of you (racially insensitive pricks) were even offended when Natalie Portman dared to portray a ballerina in Black Swan!

MHP is 100% correct in calling people out for exploiting a culturally significant dance for YouTube views. The 1,000,000 different "Harlem Shake" videos out there might be funny/silly, but they're also completely ignorant to the origin and significance of the Harlem Shake.

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2013

Her Cotton Club comparison is moot since no one is saying that black folks can' t do this dance here in 2013. Surely there are more prominant issues for this woman to tackle, especially since she loves the sound of her own voice.

by Anonymousreply 2603/04/2013

[quote]she's one of the world's most preeminent scholars when it comes to African American studies.

Yeesh, that's pretty sad if true.

by Anonymousreply 2703/04/2013

OP and the rest of you MHP trashers are really ridiculously ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2013

Yet Melissa Harris-Perry was raised by a white Mormon woman. Wouldn't that mean that her MOTHER was doing the Harlem Shake?

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2013

You know, I'm black, and I used to respect MHP, but sheesh. Gimme a break.

And it is ALWAYS the biracial or light skinned blacks that coast on that privilege that constantly have to try to prove their blackness by being the race police.

It's so tired.

The real idiocy of the Harlem Shake is that all these morons are ripping off a 10 year old dance and they're not even doing it right. White people are not ripping off black culture by doing whatever it is they're doing on these videos, because it's certainly not the Harlem Shake.

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2013

Why don't we just rename the the YouTube version "The Harlem Fake Shake?" Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2013

r30 has it correct. Is Toure also biracial, anyone know? Toure's father is white I have a feeling.

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2013

They are simply playing the poor "booga booga" card like we play the "pitiful pearl" routine. It's no biggie, give it a rest. If there was any truth in this story, that beeber kid would be in hiding all his waking hours.

by Anonymousreply 3303/04/2013

r24 Scholars make dumb/mistaken remarks or arguments all the time. They are not some ubermenschen above mistakes.

Also, she obviously missed the fact that many of the people who got the HS bug, and are making vids of it are not white and the last thing on their minds was mocking black people but then that's what happens when the only way you view the world is in B&W.

by Anonymousreply 3503/04/2013

I am an equal opportunity hater of all the stupid Internet dance memes: Macarena, Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake,...

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2013

I just can't thtand her voicth.

by Anonymousreply 3703/04/2013

The vitriol and hatred towards here in this thread is over the top.

She might well be wrong about this ONE issue, but she has been right about so many others that it makes most of you look like idiots.

Seriously. And again, did she say "white devils"?

Of course she did not. Ergo, OP's opening post IS race-baiting garbage.

by Anonymousreply 3803/04/2013

I am so glad someone is using airtime to speak out against this hideous injustice.

by Anonymousreply 3903/04/2013

Someone should show her the DVD of John Waters' "Hairspray" and watch her head explode.

by Anonymousreply 4003/04/2013

Leave it to white queens to be racist. MHP isn't an angry black woman. The NY Times also had an article on the dance. You people are tiresome and predictable.

by Anonymousreply 4103/04/2013

I'm with Ms. Perry on this one, although the subject hardly rises to a degree of importance requiring any sort of rant. Also, I'm considering R16's idea. OP's trolling is pretty offensive.

by Anonymousreply 4203/04/2013

Love how the armchair psychologists here, who've never been in the same postal district as MHP already deduced her anger is due to issues with being biracial. Interesting to see a smart, articulate black woman is still the most threatening, terrifying thing for white folk no matter where the world they may live.

Yes, I discovered her during election coverage and have been a fan since.

by Anonymousreply 4303/04/2013

Laying claim that the Harlem Shake is of cultural significance to black Americans is ludicrous.

The idea of watching subway dancers to understand this artistic high point of dance and cultural integrity is ridiculous. ...besides the fact they should be thrown off the train for illegal activity and the fact they blast the fucking music so loudly it is beyond offensive.

What time is it? Show time What time is it? Show time...

Fuck off and stop shoving your shit in my face. Give me a choice if I want to see your gymnastic display or not...

You'd think she was talking about Alvin Ailey or something

by Anonymousreply 4403/04/2013

[quote]Go ahead and try to stereotype her as just another "angry (uppity) black bitch"

No one called her that.

You're the one who used the word uppity, so you must have been thinking that yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4503/04/2013

[quote]Interesting to see a smart, articulate black woman is still the most threatening, terrifying thing for white folk no matter where the world they may live.

How do you know the people criticizing her are all white?

by Anonymousreply 4603/04/2013

Fuck off! R44, Your not a New Yorker! Go back to shit the hick town you came from! This has been around since the 70's so you need leave NYC if subway dancers assault your dainty senses.

by Anonymousreply 4703/04/2013

How do even know they're preponderantly white? Especially given the high minority demographic on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 4803/04/2013

Oh god, how very tired. Don't you ever want to be different than you are?

by Anonymousreply 4903/04/2013

Melissa Harris-Perry is irrelevant - so, who cares what she says anyway? She is one of those who simply loves the sound of her own voice.

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2013

Why are these dark-skinned people speaking English? Surely they know the English language is the cultural property of white people. White people created it and perfected it and it's offensive to listen to the way non-whites mangle it.

by Anonymousreply 5103/04/2013

[quote]How do you know the people criticizing her are all white?

You have every right to be white and call bullshit. People like Perry are a disgrace. I remember when she called Joan Walsh a racist.

by Anonymousreply 5203/04/2013

Perry said that Dems were never criticizing Clinton. They critisize Obama because they're racists.

by Anonymousreply 5303/04/2013

Damn, that lisp is annoying, but you know what's even more annoying?

Stupid white folks on here airing their racism.

by Anonymousreply 5403/04/2013

She's right on that too r 53. I remember this myself.

by Anonymousreply 5503/04/2013

[quote]Interesting to see a smart, articulate black woman is still the most threatening, terrifying thing for white folk no matter where the world they may live.

LMAO. Now THAT'S funny. Sorry, honey, but no one is "terrified" of mouthy black women.

by Anonymousreply 5603/04/2013

Is MHP related to our very own MHB?

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2013

No, but OP is.

by Anonymousreply 5803/04/2013

OP, you're kind of an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5903/04/2013

[quote]Your not a New Yorker!

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6003/04/2013

Jesus. When did Datalounge get so overrun by ignorant racist asswipes who can't bear the thought of any black person speaking up about something that mimics their own culture.

I had no idea that youtube videos were the last great white hope.

by Anonymousreply 6103/04/2013

The MHP fangurls are not DL'ers. They did a Google search, and are now trolling.

by Anonymousreply 6203/04/2013

[quote]She's right on that too r 53. I remember this myself.

lmao. Oh, lord.

by Anonymousreply 6303/04/2013

LOL @ and all the White people who HATE being told that words have meanings and Music is culture too.

by Anonymousreply 6503/04/2013

To the woman in the video: "Oh, shut your yap!"

by Anonymousreply 6603/04/2013

It's rants over insignificant issues as this that keep blacks & whites from coming together on more, and blacks & whites are both responsible for making bigger to-dos out of issues as meangingless as this. At one point her argument would have help more weight, but not today. It's not as if a ballet company in Moscow is staking claim to the Harlem Shuffle. No, it's a bunch of attention seeking people of all ethnicities acting foolish on the web. As a hairdresser should I go into let-me-tell-you-the-deal mode the next time one of my African-American clients asks me to relax her hair?

by Anonymousreply 6703/04/2013

I'm willing to bet 80% of the people complaining about this video didn't even watch the damned thing.

Notice none of them actually cite what she really said.

by Anonymousreply 6803/04/2013

LOL at all the black people who can't accept the reality that they do not "own" either culture or history.

And FYI, tap dancing has as much to do with the influx of European immigrants with a tradition of clogging than it has to do with anything from Africa.

Minstrel shows were originally blacks making racist fun of whites.

Quilts did not have coded clues to the underground railroad.

Lincoln's water gourd did not exist.

by Anonymousreply 6903/04/2013

r69. You didn't even watch the video. No where in the video does she say anything like that.

Your knee-jerk reaction is telling.

by Anonymousreply 7003/04/2013

I wish some of you could be tagged in real life to expose how racist you are (since you either don't realize it or you don't care).

by Anonymousreply 7103/04/2013

What's also telling is the fact that people are going ballistic over Melissa Harris-Perry's fairly mild comments, and completely ignoring the amazing dancing that appears at the end of the clip. If anything, I applaud her for showcasing the talent of young people who show us what the REAL Harlem Shake is. The fact that their moves have gone unnoticed speaks volumes about the average American's indifference toward artistry/culture.

by Anonymousreply 7203/04/2013

It's sad how easy it is to troll Datalounge about anything racial.

by Anonymousreply 7303/04/2013

Hey MHP fans, throwing hysterical tantrums won't make anyone listen to you or like you any better. Just the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 7403/04/2013

I agree R72, the dancers had some amazing moves.

Overall, the far more interesting segment of the episode was the discussion about The Onion's tweet about Quvenzhane Wallis and the associated issues of feminism, misogyny, racism, etc. But that could be a completely different thread.

by Anonymousreply 7503/04/2013

Please link to a "hysterical tantrum" herein.

by Anonymousreply 7603/04/2013

R69 = crack smoker

by Anonymousreply 7703/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 7803/04/2013

"art, music and litature..."

by Anonymousreply 8003/04/2013

R79 = mad because women get the real bones.

You and MHP have so much in common, but you'll never realize it.

by Anonymousreply 8103/04/2013

To the posters who think only whites are critical of this ignorant're wrong. There is no patent on the dance or the name, so whoever wants to dance however, can - and call it what they want.

She mentions ballroom or waltz..well those dances are taught professionally. No one is teaching the harlem shake across the country professionally.

Please let dancing be enjoyable like its meant to be, not some issue of race.

by Anonymousreply 8203/04/2013

Yeah... Her argument isn't terribly convincing when that little "number" at the end wasn't anything more than a wince inducing mishmash of style-free (I grimace to even call it) movement.

by Anonymousreply 8303/04/2013

Why the fuck does she need to live in Harlem to have an appreciation for Harlem's culture and demand that it be respected? Or for that matter why does she need to live in a predominantly black neighborhood? Or for that matter even be black?

And r18, you are obviously not aware of how many white people now live in Harlem. A lot.

by Anonymousreply 8403/04/2013

"*My* gender," lol you think you know so much. Not every male is threatened by women, R85, or so easily whipped, as you apparently claim to be.

You're not a better or brighter bigot because you can quote Chris Rock. I bet MHP can too.

Remember that.

by Anonymousreply 8603/04/2013

People are bent out of shape that a so-called tragic mulatto with a white mother is making a fool of herself! For Pete's sake the woman's mom is a white Mormon, that's pretty white.So why is it that some bi-racial people feel like they have to go overboard to prove their blackness? The Harlem Shake is a problem? Black unemployment in the US is a a major problem,maybe she should concentrate on African Americans not being able to find work NOT some stupid dance.

by Anonymousreply 8703/04/2013

[quote]What's also telling is the fact that people are going ballistic over Melissa Harris-Perry's fairly mild comments, and completely ignoring the amazing dancing that appears at the end of the clip. If anything, I applaud her for showcasing the talent of young people who show us what the REAL Harlem Shake is. The fact that their moves have gone unnoticed speaks volumes about the average American's indifference toward artistry/culture.

THIS exactly. People are not defending the dance or commenting on why they like it, or what it means. They're just using this an as excuse to rail on a black woman commenting on black culture. HOW DARE SHE!!!!

This thread, like so many other race-baiting threads on DL, is nothing but a terd-nugget excuse for yet more racism & misogyny of sad little people who can't lash-out in real life come here to vent their pathetic frustrations.

Fuck all of you. You live in a free society. Your free to do your stupid versino of this dance and look a fool. When you do, someone else is free to comment on it. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 8803/04/2013

Ah, there you go, R76/78. R88 is just one of many on this thread foaming at the mouth over a non-issue.

by Anonymousreply 9003/04/2013

Non-white people including Jews want exclusivity on their own culture while they want universality of white European culture to do whatever with. Notice the total lack of non-Jews creating Hanukah songs while there are many Jews who have created Christmas songs. MHP is angry black people are not profiting from the Harlem Shake. She said it was created in the 80s. That's plenty of time to profit off this dance expecially considering all the means of communication, it could have went viral at any time in the past 30 years. MHP might have this talk again if twerking or daggering blow up in the future.

by Anonymousreply 9103/04/2013

I get the pain, but she's misguided.

This is/was something that kids could share; black, white, Asian, and Hispanic. I'm quite certain that 99.5% of the kids had no idea of the real HS. I know *I* didn't before I had seen a dozen videos.

It might not have been original, it might not have been *her* way, but it was *their* way, and they were doing it together.

Bigoted whites will be only too happy to respond, and it turns into a clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 9203/04/2013

The Cast Of All My Children Does The “Harlem Shake”

by Anonymousreply 9303/04/2013

Hmm, when did Candyman join AMC?

by Anonymousreply 9403/04/2013

[quote]People are bent out of shape that a so-called tragic mulatto with a white mother is making a fool of herself! For Pete's sake the woman's mom is a white Mormon, that's pretty white.

For all we know, she may be high yellow!

by Anonymousreply 9503/04/2013

[quote]Interesting to see a smart, articulate black woman is still the most threatening, terrifying thing for white folk

Mary, you sound like you're hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 9603/04/2013

LMAO. She's about as articulate as Rev Al.

by Anonymousreply 9703/04/2013

I've always felt that her "schtick" is in appealing to white liberal guilt. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz .....

by Anonymousreply 9803/04/2013

THAT is what you guys call a rant? I don't agree with her conclusions but that was hardly offensive. The internet meme is called the Harlem Shake largely because that's the name of the song. I doubt most people who participate in the meme are poking fun at the real dance because I doubt most know what the actual dance looks like.

by Anonymousreply 9903/04/2013

Chill out, MHP, and have some Domino's Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 10003/04/2013

Melissa Harris-Perry is the best thing on TV after Rachel Maddow. And she would never use the words "white devils." Grow up OP.

by Anonymousreply 10103/04/2013

r102, thanks for that!!!

by Anonymousreply 10303/04/2013

[quote]who wishes he was a woman!!!

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

Mastering the subjunctive is hard for you, I know.

by Anonymousreply 10503/04/2013

r104 --

Is a "phag" worse than a "fag" in your mind?

If so, then I guess you really told him with your cleverness, huh?

by Anonymousreply 10603/04/2013

she says the real harlem shake has dancers "on beat" - because us white folks have no rhythm - we get it

by Anonymousreply 10703/04/2013

This thread is bad and you should all feel bad about it.

The Harlem Shake as a meme is crap. Pure crap and its time is nearly over.

The Harlem Shake from the 90s was an excellent dance that is culturally based and is still taught, if not professionally.

The arguments and blatant hatred towards MHP on this forum and this thread are really just nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 10803/04/2013

Well R109, I know how to smile and be polite and then throw that resume away and hire a STRAIGHT guy. Every time.

by Anonymousreply 11303/04/2013

Don't you girls have a KKK meeting to attend. I'm sure that you have some some crosses you're supposed to be burning or some lynchings that you're supposed to be doing. Your bigotry and hatred are so tiresome.

Hating and demonizing any group because of their ethnicity is just plain stupid. It is also ridiculous to use the statements of one person (whom you disagree with) to justify your bigotry against an entire ethnic group; simply because the person (whom you disagree with) is a member of that ethnic group. I don't agree with nonsense that comes out of Michelle Malkin's mouth. However I don't use it as an excuse to trash Asian Americans. Her opinions are her opinions. What logic would there be in demonizing an entire group simply because I disagree with her. I realize that I'm wasting my breath. You bigots and hate mongers are cowards looking for venues to spread your virus of hatred. How sad that you prance around thinking that you're superior because of your skin color. How sad that your lives are completely void of any real accomplishment and the only thing you have to cling to is your skin color. I'm white so I'm sooo superior. I have less melanocytes I'm a superstar. What form of mental retardation are you suffering from.

by Anonymousreply 11703/04/2013

Well, this thread will get shut down in 3, 2...

by Anonymousreply 11903/04/2013

Done with DataLounge which has become GAY WHITE MALE STORMFRONT.

by Anonymousreply 12103/04/2013

ONTD is the in the world. please overhaul it or hack it-fast!

by Anonymousreply 12303/04/2013

Dear there aren't 117 post on the thread. Who are you responding too. I'm not going to stoop to your level of juvenile name calling. You've only proven your stupidity with your response. Was it your intention to prove my post correct? That's certainly what you did. Now what other ignorant remarks do you have. Go ahead and share them so that you can really show how mentally handicapped you are. Better yet why not copy and paste some passages from your trusty KKK manual. You can call me every name that you can pull out of your feeble brain. At the end of the day you've only proven that your the stupid bigoted hate monger that I spoke about. What a tragic life you must lead.

by Anonymousreply 12403/04/2013

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 12503/04/2013

like we give a shit

by Anonymousreply 12603/04/2013

i likes the happy little brown dancing peoples

by Anonymousreply 12703/04/2013

^^^ has gone and flung the shit towards the fan

by Anonymousreply 12903/04/2013

Dear R88

Melissa never called anyone a white devil. The OP used that term. It is clear that you and 99% of the ignorant bigots here aren't intellectually capable of comprehending the statements that Melissa made. You're also not capable of producing an intelligent response so you resort to the lowest common denominator (tired racial slurs). This only proves how stupid you really are. It really doesn't matter though. You racist hate mongers go from thread to thread spreading your virus of hate. How empty and sad your life must be. You can get back to representing the KKK wing of datalounge now. I'm sure you've got some more tired racial slurs that you've been itching to use. You may proceed now and further prove your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 13403/04/2013

I'm sick of the Harlem Shake. It's so last week.

by Anonymousreply 13503/04/2013

Mark Twain said it best "You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

You KKK girls can have this ridiculous discussion now.

by Anonymousreply 13603/04/2013

I don't recall Koreans acting like had been mortally offended and demanding apologies when we were all doing the "Gangnam Style " dance a few months ng a lovely rtago...

I did see our beloved First Lady, Michelle Obama doing a lovely rendition of the "Harlem Shake" on Jimmy Fallon a few weeks ago....

btw Fallon was dressed as a "TRANSVESTITE while doing the HS thereby mocking blacks and women...must have pushed MHP over the edge of reason !

by Anonymousreply 13703/04/2013

Harlem Shake is OVAH bitches...look at what the kids are dancing to now...

by Anonymousreply 13803/04/2013

(R137) - FLOTUS was doing the dougie on Fallon's show. This thread is troll bait for racists.

by Anonymousreply 13903/05/2013

[quote]from goldfish swallowing in the `20`s, jitterbuggering in the `40`s , or the doing the macarena in he `80`s.

The Macarena was the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 14003/05/2013

Not even close, moron.

by Anonymousreply 14203/05/2013

OP = feels his white privilege being threatened, so he resorts to name-calling. Typical entitled white DL queen.

by Anonymousreply 14401/02/2014

I want to find out about this JITTERBUGGERING?

by Anonymousreply 14501/02/2014

That's the best you got R144.

Harris-Perry checks under her bed every night for big bad racism. She's obsessed and delusional.

And, when she wakes up in the morning, she makes damn sure racism isn't lurking behind her shower curtain.

Her brain is mush. She has become the thing she fears most. SHE IS THE RACIST.

by Anonymousreply 14601/02/2014

by Anonymousreply 14703/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!