Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The 1960s

The early 60s were more conservative, right? When did the mod thing start? What about the hippie? Was mod before the hippie era? Is there a name for the early 1960s period? You can basically split the 1960s up, can't you, in terms of culture, what was in style, etc? Can someone do that for me?

It sounds like a very busy decade, almost like a period of multiple personalities.

by Youngsterreply 4203/08/2013

Some of this is too silly to answer. The mod period is associated with Brits and Carnaby street--1963 through 1967 at the outside. There's no precise date on the beginning of the Hippie movement but its zenith may have been at Woodstock in 1969. Any attempt to see the 60s monolithically is doomed.

by Youngsterreply 103/04/2013

It began with two things, OP. The invention of LSD (used by the military and by psychologists), and the growing senselessness of the Vietnam War. So, about 1965

by Youngsterreply 203/04/2013

1962 was the Port Huron statement, so some of the 60s happened early.

by Youngsterreply 303/04/2013

LSD was invented, by accident, in the late 30s.

by Youngsterreply 403/04/2013

Hey youngster don't expect us to do your homework project for you. There's lots of books on the '60s at libraries (you know, those old fashioned square buildings where they keep these things called books) and films and information on the web, just google it.

by Youngsterreply 503/04/2013

It's hard to fathom sometimes that the 60's are to these youngsters what the Boer War was for me. And I asked about it too. There was just as much dickin around (maybe more, cause it wouldn't fuckin kill you,) only they were really, really secret about it.

by Youngsterreply 603/04/2013

It has been said that the 50s didn't really end until Kennedy was shot. The mid-sixties were the beginning of what we think of as "The Sixties": mod fashions, women's lib, the first inklings of popular dissent over Vietnam and the burgeoning "hippie" movement. All of this greatly intensified in the latter part of the decade.

by Youngsterreply 703/04/2013

The '60s were also the high watermark for American automobile manufacturers in terms of product offerings, style, performance, and aspirational desire to own.

It's been downhill for the The Big Three ever since.

by Youngsterreply 803/04/2013

These moronic decade threads seem to be coming thick and fast.

by Youngsterreply 903/04/2013

The first two seasons of "Bewitched" are beautiful as time moves on the show becomes uglier.

by Youngsterreply 1003/04/2013

R10, and Marlo Thomas in "That Girl". Bewitched followed That Girl every Friday night, they were joined at the hip like two beautiful twin girls.

by Youngsterreply 1103/04/2013

Here's a thought: In the 1960s, people could afford to "drop out". Later, in the 1970s, the USA had oil shortages. The economy was much worse. Investigate Peak Oil (search the term on a search engine) and you will see. Research Hubberts Peak.

Also, the roots for the hippy movement may have been in the beatnik movement and the natural living movements. Some of those had their roots in the late 19th century. Think about it a bit. Much of what the hippies embraced was not new. They simply brought these ideas into the middle class, into the larger world. Things like organic farming, equal rights for minorities,anti-war beliefs, sexual freedom,interest in the occult/Asian religions, the use of marijuana and other drugs were not new at all. Even the self sufficiency/back to the land movement has roots in the 1930s, at least, possibly earlier if you consider Thoreau. Even the word groovy and the term "man" come from somewhere else,and an earlier time. In that case, those are terms from Black Americans and Jazz.

I wonder if the USA had not gotten involved in Vietnam if the Hippy movement would have grown like it did. My guess is it would not have. Think about why that is.

There, I've given you some ideas for your research project.

by Youngsterreply 1203/04/2013

r8,it has been going downhill for autos because the age of oil is coming to an end. The year 1970 saw the predictions of Hubbert come true. That was the year we hit Peak Oil in the USA.

by Youngsterreply 1303/04/2013

R12, that is very interesting. I was just about to post the Hippy movement stemmed from the beatniks which were big in the 1920s. The beatniks were big in the 50s and early 60s. The movie, funny face with Audrey Hepburn has a scene which she and Fred Astaire do a dance number at a beatnik club and that film is from the 50s.

I was born in 1970,but from all of the myriads of information that I have seen of the 60s, I like the early 60s ,but the late 60s around 66 to 69 I hate a lot! I hate the Hippies, the war, the protesting, the anger, etc. I think it was one of America's darkest periods in American history.

by Youngsterreply 1403/04/2013

r14, yes, in some ways it was a dark time. It was also a good time. Just look at the new respect for the environment that came out of this time. For heaven sake, look at the Gay rights and equal rights movements that really got going because of this time in history. What we take for granted today we have due to the counter-culture movement making the dreams of equality and respect a part of our culture.

Personally, I disliked the scruffy dress and lifestyle of hippies. Even that was a reaction against the very rigid dress codes and attitudes of the 1950s. People forget that in order to have a 1960s, you need to have a 1950s. And to have a 1950s, you need to have a 1940s. But,to have a 1940s, you need to have a 1930s,and to have the '30s, the 1920s were needed, and so on...

by Youngsterreply 1503/05/2013

I like the style and fun the 1950s was all about. The late 60s was a big black cloud.

by Youngsterreply 1603/05/2013

True, the styles of the late '60s were like a dark cloud. But, styles became more mainstream, more "normal" after that time, only with a twist. Now, they are lighter, brighter, with more room for individuality. That is in sharp contrast to the '50s. Remember, denim blue jeans would NOT have been acceptable as daily wear, and little gloves for the ladies were a requirement. Yuck.

by Youngsterreply 1703/05/2013

This weekend, I saw a documentary about the birth of Big Cosmetics and the rivalry between Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubenstein. It showed how the two made make-up mainstream and expected and how the two died within months of each other in the mid-60s.

"Whoosh! Just in time!" I thought, because right around then, make-up would take a decade long hit except among older women.

by Youngsterreply 1803/05/2013

James Bond was hip for people over 30. All of that hippie shit was for the college crowd, not for people who worked at real jobs.

by Youngsterreply 1903/05/2013

I love the way Dihann (sp?) Carroll, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Jackie Kennedy, Maria Callas, The Supremes, Nina Simone and Marlene Dietrich dressed in the early to mid 60's. They all had great style.

The flower girl and free spirited vibe of hippie guys was neat as well (especially thin, attractive hippie guys who usually went "commando" based on certain pictures I've seen from the 60's.)

by Youngsterreply 2003/05/2013

On the contrary, the country was much more liberal in 1960 because the political leadership were all far left of what they are today.

by Youngsterreply 2103/05/2013

Tighter pants, more bulges, no dumbasses wearing their fucking trousers around their knees.

by Youngsterreply 2203/05/2013

R21, how do you figure the country was more liberal in 1960? HOmosexuality was illegal and persecuted. Divorce was looked down upon and seen as the woman's fault, marijuana was very illegal, abortion was illegal, segregation was still around, inter-racial marriage was illegal, at least in some placees

by Youngsterreply 2303/05/2013

The sixties began November 22, 1963 and ended August 9, 1974.

by Youngsterreply 2403/05/2013

Google is your friend.

by Youngsterreply 2503/05/2013

Even though television was behind the times in terms of reflecting what was really going on, the mid 60's really seemed to change things. Black and white shows went to color, a garish color that seemed to show that the "world had woken up," that things had changed. And then Laugh-In hit the airwaves and even though it was only a teeny bit "controversial," it was a visual Peter Max-type of fantasy to watch. Groovy, baby! The stuff that the parody Austin Powers movies referenced was REAL at that time. Even mainstream shows like Bewitched and That Girl started showing their main characters in white go go boots and white lipstick! "Mod" fashions. Ann Marie and Samantha Stevens changed their hairdos to long, straight and sleek. References to hippies and "groovy music" were made. Then the Smothers Brothers DID become controversial and dared to talk about real social issues and were yanked from the air. If you want an idea of how the television industry responded to the REAL 60's, watch the documentary "Smothered. The Censorship Struggles of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour."

by Youngsterreply 2603/05/2013

Interesting that no one has mentioned one of the key events that changed the world: the invention of The Pill, which arguably brought about the sexual revolution.

by Youngsterreply 2703/05/2013

Where did Sex and the Single Girl fit into the Pill timeline? Before or after?

by Youngsterreply 2803/05/2013

The one thing I agree about with Joan Didion: The '60s ended August 9, 1969.

by Youngsterreply 2903/05/2013

OMG listen to Cheryl in R29.

Didion's pussy smells worser thene urs.

by Youngsterreply 3003/05/2013

R23, the people of America were dull-witted bigoted turds, as they are today.

But the politicians were more liberal - favoring the workers over the rich, and government action over libertarian bullshit. Yes, old laws were on the books, but the courage to change them was resident in the political class, and thus we got a Civil Rights Act and a Voting Rights Act and the Warren Court. The political class was far more liberal and much less corrupt than today.

by Youngsterreply 3103/05/2013

The cars in the 60s got sexier, more elegant, but still tank-like. The personal luxury car was hot. The Riviera, the Toronado, the Eldorado. Sex really didn't undergo a revolution, it just got more blatant and free with birth control. Men wore things like drawstring beach pants in wild paisley patterns with Nehru shirts and love beads.

Where, at the turn of the 60s, we had looked to France for inspiration, we now looked to England. Jean Shrimpton gave way to Twiggy as The Face and the Beatles released Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Film underwent a revolution in the 60s. The giant movie studios fell over like Wooly Mammoths except for Fox, who sold off its back lot to make Century City. By the end of the decade if you made a studio film, it better be gritty and real with lots of nudity or people would stay away. Independent filmmakers came into their own. Drive-In movies were being phased out and turned into flea markets.

The assassinations came along and the Beatles broke up and then came the one-two punch of Manson in August of '69 and Altamont Speedway in December of '69.

The Red States freaked, thinking the hippies were taking over. "America Love It Or Leave It" bumper stickers were popular. Cities were aflame with race riots. With the Chicago political riots of '68, people voted non-hippie Richard Nixon into office.

by Youngsterreply 3203/05/2013

We had beautiful, beautiful cars back then. Full of style and flair and character. Unlike the little gray boxes we drive today.

by Youngsterreply 3303/06/2013

r31, I don't find the people of today dull-witted turds, as you say. I am surprised at the number of people in my day to day life that are accepting of my being gay, or of others being of different religions. Lots of ugly class consciousness back then. Lots of ethnic (white on white bs)hatred back then, esp. towards Polish and Italians. No joke. I don't remember any politicians putting their jobs on the line for gay rights back then. Heck, being gay could get you arrested back then.

by Youngsterreply 3403/07/2013

Valerie Solanas got it right about hippies in 'SCUM Manifesto'. It really wasn't as revolutionary as people believe. For most, it was a matter of self interest posing as libertine self expression.

by Youngsterreply 3503/07/2013

the epitome of the 60s is the movie of Valley of the Dolls.

by Youngsterreply 3603/07/2013

r23. I suppose the US in the 1960's was more liberal in terms of labor rights and taxes. Socially it was backwards of course.

by Youngsterreply 3703/07/2013

I grew up in the 80's while the 60's was my mom's teen era. And I remember watching black and white footage of the Beatles performing on the Ed Sullivan Show and thinking, how long ago the 60's were...all 20ish years of it. That I couldn't relate to that era (though I loved the music) and how different it was to the 80's.

Now I'm 40 and today's the 30th anniversary of the release Blue Monday by New Order! What are the kids of today thinking when they watch a video from 1983? Basically it's the equivalent of me in 1986 watching footage of Elvis Presley performing Hound Dog for the first time.

by Youngsterreply 3803/07/2013

[quote]Socially it was backwards of course.

In that it didn't usually fret about other groups, except maybe blacks. Everyone else had a freedom from being monitored for their next moves...

by Youngsterreply 3903/08/2013

The sixties were more humanitarian-based times.

by Youngsterreply 4003/08/2013

When it comes to the early 1960s, i'm very nostalgic, but I think that's because I was a child then. The later 60s do seem tumultuous and frightening, but the thing to remember is that they made way, as other posters have said, for recognition of blacks and gays and women, as well as for the importance of the environment. The late 50s/early 60s seem peaceful and charming, but there was a lot bubbling under the surface.

by Youngsterreply 4103/08/2013

I was born in 1953. I was 10 when JFK was shot. That's the turning point I remember. I remember seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Didn't know what the big deal was but I liked the music.

My parents refused to vote for JFK because he was Catholic. That's hard to believe now but Protestants and Catholics did not mix, at least not in my parents world. They were both from the south, not overtly racist but my father did have the N word in his vocabulary. We were not rich but probably middle class.

I graduated from high school in 1971. I remember wearing mini skirts and paisley dresses with white fishnets and white gogo boots.

Life was different from when I began junior high, but I can remember having to deal with bosses who thought it was fine to call me honey and little girl, while feeling me up.

I can't explain what it was like to come of age in those times, but I lived it as a non-hippie freak. First drug I ever took was LSD. I hadn't even smoked pot before.

I volunteered to work at the 1971 GOP convention when Nixon was re-nominated. Shortly after the convention I became a volunteer for George McGovern's campaign.

3 things changed everyone's lives: JFK's assassination, Viet Nam and Watergate. The country lost their innocence because of those 3 events.

I guess you had to be there (or be square!)

by Youngsterreply 4203/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!