Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Please post details of the worst holiday/vacation you've ever had. Real stinkers.

I know it's usual if you start a thread like this to post one's own little story, but I'd rather do that later.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear about those really crappy holidays where it all goes wrong, where it was nothing like what you expected.

Those vacations where you find yourself counting the days until you go back home.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

I've posted this before but:

My dad found a good deal on a small camper (the kind that fits over a pickup) and decided we were going to go cross-country to California on vacation. It was June and my parents rode up front in air condition and I rode in the camper. We stopped at all these fleabag KOA campgrounds (I developed athlete's foot about a month later). He had no experience camping, so we weren't allowed to use the toilet- he didn't know how to empty it, etc. The water tasted funny, too.

Somewhere in the desolation of Wyoming I really had to go number #2, so I found a large styrofoam cup and crapped in it. Then I wrapped it in foil and hid it.

Not well enough, though. I forgot about it and I came around the corner to see both my parents peering into the port-o-cup, with a hateful/disgusted look on their faces.

My father has talked about it for the past 30 years. He can work it into any conversation (Me: "You lost a lot of money on that investment, didn't you?" Him: "Yeah, but I never shit in a cup").

My secret was that I was going to escape the camper when we got to California and run away. But I chickened out.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

Once, in zee south of France, Madame Edith Bunker, she sat on my glasses and she broke them.

I vas vearing them at the time.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

Hilarious, R2.

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

I had three terrible vacations in a row:

1) Italy. Torrential downpours the entire time. Almost everything was shut down and we saw next to nothing. We didn't even want to venture out in the weather, but of course felt obliged to since we'd gone all that way. It was awful.

2) Egypt. Became violently ill with diarrhea and my traveling companion was robbed (including all her money and passport).

3) India. Had to go there for work and tacked on a week to travel. All I can remember was unending traffic; long waits for overcrowded trains; an ungodly combination of heat, humidity, and pollution; and the guilt of feeling put-upon while being surrounded by abject human misery.

I've given up on travel (really) and am much happier.

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

I have a friend who used to travel internationally for his job and found himself in Rwanda a few years back. The upside: He got to go to their national gorilla preserve. The downside: The pizza he had delivered to his hotel room was infested with earthworms.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

Try Western Europe, r6 -- you'll find it far more cheerful.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

Christmas of 1996.

There were lots of strangers in the house. It was truly annoying.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

Tanzania: Climbed Kilimanjaro for 7 days (successful summit of Uhuru) and then went on a 4 day safari. The second day of the climb, developed severe nausea/diarrhea) which did not stop for the rest of the trip. Being so miserable, so tired, dirty, wanting to vomit the entire time in a third world country where everything smelled liked roasting wild game and sweat. I was almost delirious with joy by the time I got back to the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

I win!

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

And yet, these impoverished souls are motivated enough to have boners and make whoopie in the dirt and sweat.

I've never figured that one out.

I'm known to walk out on a date if I don't like the pattern of his wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

Many people lie about bad vacations.

They want other people to be jealous and envious so they enhance the poor vacation experience and lie about the unfortunate details, and even convince themselves that they had a good time.

They often exaggerate any vacation and glorify the experience.

Some do not want to admit to themselves that the vacation was a waste of money and time.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

[quote]I'm known to walk out on a date if I don't like the pattern of his wallpaper.

Okay, for some reason that has me cracking up.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!