Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

HIV has been cured in a child for the first time

In a monumental first for medicine, doctors announced today that a baby has been cured of an HIV infection. Dr. Deborah Persaud, who presented the child's case today at the 20th annual Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infection, called it "definitely a game-changer."

Persaud, of Johns Hopkins University Medical School, is the lead author of a report recounting the child's treatment. The identity of the little girl, who was born to an HIV-positive woman in rural Mississippi, has yet to be released. What we do know is that she is only the second person in the world — and the first child — to be cured of HIV in its devastating 32-year history. If the case is confirmed, it is truly unprecedented.

by Anonymousreply 1803/05/2013

thats great news--but the doctors name is Dr Gay??

by Anonymousreply 103/03/2013

Sounds good to me!

by Anonymousreply 203/03/2013

Too bad the original story is from The Onion.

by Anonymousreply 303/03/2013

Sort of an infant version of PEP, wasn't it?

I suspect quite a few HIV-neg guys are barebacking but doing regular PEP as a precaution.

by Anonymousreply 403/03/2013

"I suspect quite a few HIV-neg guys are barebacking but doing regular PEP as a precaution."

uh ya... wasn't PEP approved as a preventative measure for high risk people last year?

by Anonymousreply 603/03/2013

R5 thank god Bayer make baby aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 703/03/2013

Different from PEP because they confirmed the kid was infected. Pretty remarkable and totally out of the blue and makes me wonder how many other times this could have potentially happened and we don't know (babies that got postnatal ARVs for prevention but they didn't have PCR tests). I'm at this conference and now am definitely going to see the presentation!

by Anonymousreply 803/03/2013

PrEP got approved last year. PEP has been recommended for sexual exposure since 2004(?)

by Anonymousreply 903/03/2013

I'm surprised to hear this. I have an adopted younger sister who was born HIV positive and she later stopped testing positive. We were told it was because children are born with their mother's immune system and when they develop their own some kids are able to fight it off and she was one of those kids. She is now in her mid-20's.

by Anonymousreply 1003/03/2013

That does happen r10 because infants have maternal antibodies even if they aren't infected with the virus. Even without treatment, about 75% of kids born to HIV infected mothers will still not be infected, but they'll have positive antibody tests for first few months.

by Anonymousreply 1103/03/2013

Ironic that this great medical discovery occurred because the mom was irresponsible.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

I wonder if Magic Johnson is the father?!

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

The kids was already back at the tubs tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

Why don't I believe this??

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

God cures the innocent victims.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2013

R16 If that baby was innocent it would have chosen a better mother. We just need to pray the AIDS away. Pray hard.

by Anonymousreply 1703/05/2013

Bomp, bomp

Bubble, lubba, lubba, lipton

Bubble till you feel the beat

Bomp, bomp

Joy till reach defeat

Bubble, lubba, lubba, lippton

Bubble till you have no doubt

Bomb, bomp

Joy's what it's all about