Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Aww! I love Jennifer Lawerence!

OSCAR-WINNING actress Jennifer Lawrence starred in her own real-life fairytale to make a dream come true for her best friend.

Years before the 22-year-old Hunger Games star found fame in Hollywood, she nominated neighbour Andy Strunk – who has Down’s Syndrome – in a contest to find the most popular boy in school.

At first, Andy’s parents were worried the other kids at Kammerer Middle School in Louisville, Kentucky, might make fun of him. And his mother, Pollyanna, even took Jennifer aside to tell her about their concern.

But Jennifer, then 14, convinced them they had nothing to worry about. As the most popular girl in school, she planned to lead the campaign for Andy herself.

In a happy ending worthy of a Hollywood script, the special needs youngster – whose educational level remains that of a seven-year-old – won the contest hands down and was voted Mr Kammerer.

Jennifer’s support – she won the title of Most Chatty – cemented the close friendship between the movie beauty and the pal who describes himself as her No1 fan.

Even after she rocketed to fame – first in 2010’s Winter’s Bone, for which she received a Best Actress Academy Awards nomination, and then the box-office hits The Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook – Jennifer has stayed in touch with Andy.

Andy’s mum Pollyanna, a 58-year-old nurse, said: “Jennifer is a very kind spirit. There aren’t many people who are movie stars who would spend time with a special needs kid.

“She last saw him on Christmas Day. She came over to give him his Christmas hug and he was over the moon all day. When she’s in town, she just walks down the street and knocks on the door to come and see Andy.”

The proud mum said Jennifer’s campaign to get her classmates to vote for Andy in the school popularity poll was a big turning point in his life.

“She made the nomination for Andy to be Mr Kammerer,” added Pollyanna. “It was the most popular position for a child to be in at that age.

“I was concerned about it because I was worried people would make fun of him but I talked to Jennifer and agreed to let her do it.

“She did place the nomination – and he won. That was really what started the friendship between them and they are still in touch. He loved being showered with all that attention.

“They’ve spent time together over the years. Jennifer’s parents have a pool and Andy was invited to go over and use it whenever he wanted. Jennifer would swim with him and enjoyed his company.

“She has always been very respectful of him and always treated him in a very kind way.”

However, Pollyanna said another top American female singer and actress was not so caring – and it left Jennifer furious.

She said: “There is another actress Andy was a big fan of. She was in a show he loved on the Disney Channel and she was doing a concert near us. I got a ticket for Andy and he was really looking forward to going.”

She said Jennifer asked the performer to do something special for her friend.

Pollyanna added: “But they did nothing. Jennifer was upset because she couldn’t understand why another person couldn’t see Andy was special like she does.

“He didn’t expect anything but some people have a kind heart and some don’t.”

by Anonymousreply 7912/19/2013

Pollyanna, who has two other grown-up sons with husband George, 59, a Methodist church pastor, said: “Andy doesn’t change for her and other people do. Other people grow up.

“Other friends she went to middle school with are in college or starting families but Andy still lives here and he’s still here when she comes home.

“She can knock on the door and things stay the same. He’s always happy to see her. He just knows he likes her and she likes him.

“When she left at 14, he believed she was going to be a star. In his mind, he always knew that. I’d take him to a bookshop and he’d stay there for an hour going through magazines looking for anything with her name and picture on.

“He had a tough time the first couple of years after she left finding pictures and anything about Jennifer. He would search like it was a treasure hunt but now it’s much easier. He has a filing cabinet full.”

Jennifer, who is on her friend’s speed dial, also sends Andy mementoes. She signed a film poster for Winter’s Bone with the words, “Andy, Don’t forget me. Love you, Jennifer”.

She can be certain Andy and his family will never forget his loyal friend.

The actress’s mum Karen, who is also close to the Strunk family, said: “Jennifer loves Andy. That’s genuine.”

On Oscar night last Sunday, Andy dressed up in a tux to watch the ceremony. When Jennifer took the stage, after a slight stumble, to collect her award, Andy jumped up and down and pumped his fists.

“Oh my God! That’s my girl, she did it. She got it. I love you, Jennifer.” he shouted. “She’s the greatest girl in the world.”

by Anonymousreply 103/03/2013

[quote]She said: “There is another actress Andy was a big fan of. She was in a show he loved on the Disney Channel and she was doing a concert near us. I got a ticket for Andy and he was really looking forward to going.” She said Jennifer asked the performer to do something special for her friend. Pollyanna added: “But they did nothing. Jennifer was upset because she couldn’t understand why another person couldn’t see Andy was special like she does.

Who was this bitch?

by Anonymousreply 203/03/2013

Hilary Duff maybe?

by Anonymousreply 303/03/2013

OP = Jennifer's PR agent

by Anonymousreply 403/03/2013

[quote]OP = Jennifer's PR agent

If he were then he would have spelled her name right and this would have come out while Oscar voting was still happening.

And yes, I'm going with either Hilary Duff or Selena Gomez.

by Anonymousreply 503/03/2013

Miley Cyrus.

by Anonymousreply 603/03/2013

R2, it must be some young woman whose role model is Ina Garten.

by Anonymousreply 703/03/2013

More PR to shove her down our throats.. great. I don't really care about Jennifer one way or another, but this obvious PR push is just annoying. Seeing Jennifer everywhere is just unnecessary. She will be hated before you know it. This sudden PR push will only backfire. She's becoming the new Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 803/03/2013

The Disney actress would probably have to be Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, or Bridget Mendler.

Duff seems the most cunty of them.

by Anonymousreply 903/03/2013

If Andy has a type, it's Hilary Duff.

by Anonymousreply 1003/03/2013

If he were then he would have spelled her name right and this would have come out while Oscar voting was still happening."

The name spelling is a typo.

He's trying to counteract all the negative press she's been getting lately; falling on her face at the Oscars, flipping the bird at a reporter, getting photographed drunk and stoned and scantily-clad and snuggling up to an equally scantily-clad female "friend."

by Anonymousreply 1103/03/2013

There's been no negative press, R11. The Oscar press conference and the weed pics just made her even more popular.

by Anonymousreply 1203/03/2013

I think this is wonderful. Jennifer Lawrence is a mensch.

And I feel sorry for any fool who would say this is a PR move. She is obviously the real deal, and it's not that extraordinary. There are lots of kind people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 1303/03/2013

Oh my GAWD! I love Jennifer Lawrence so much!

by Anonymousreply 1403/03/2013

Goddamn I am sick of everyone slobbering all over this girl.

She is not that unique.

by Anonymousreply 1503/03/2013

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 1603/03/2013

[quote]There's been no negative press, [R11]. The Oscar press conference and the weed pics just made her even more popular.

That's because Jennifer is all down to earth, and not a fake Hollywood actress.

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2013

R15 = AnnE Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013

this obsessiveness with celebrities is so pitiful. everyone used to act the exact same way with Kristen Stewart. Now she's been shoved off to the sides with her sad little crutches - hobbling away on the red carpet in her gown. Jennifer L is smarter and knows how to play the fans but stop dumbing yourself down and acting like she is something more than she is. she is an actress. key word: ACT.

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2013

It maybe an act, but it's a GOOD act and that's the difference. And so far she's not come across as smug and smarmy like that asshole Clooney or like a sullen, jerk like Kristen Stewart. Everybody puts on an act of some sort, hers just works very very well.

She's a publicist's dream client.

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is a Goddess!! Being a major fan of The Hunger Games, she can do no wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2013

[quote]Goddamn I am sick of everyone slobbering all over this girl. She is not that unique.

Exactly. And what has she done for gays that gays are worshipping her? So sick of gays worshipping straight famous women who do nothing for them, yet won't even support gay celebs.

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

Not much of a fan of Hathaway either, r18.

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2013

she seems to be appreciative. she seems to have the personality and thick skin to survive her time in Hollywood. she doesn't seem to take it or herself seriously. very likeable. As it should be. Goddess? No. Good actress? Sure. Deserving of the Best Actress Oscar? Absolutely not. Especially when you have seasoned veterans like Sally Fields. Oh well, it's just entertainment. Noone is saving the world here so I guess it's ok. It could have been worse.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013

Kristen Stewart isn't a good analogy. Most of Kristen's lovers were Twilight fans, and the haters outnumbered the fans. People like Jennifer for more than one reason (Winter's Bone, X-Men, Hunger Games, Silver Linings Playbook) and she isn't, at this point anyway, someone that is generally hated by big groups of people.

Jennifer is Kristen only if Kristen could act and wasn't a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2013

Is there anything that this marvelous young woman can't do? I eagerly await her finding a cure for cancer and stopping global warming.

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2013

Kristen Stewart is a GREAT analogy. It shows how you can be the "it girl" one minute and "forgotten" the next. kristen is rich so she has that going for her. Jennifer is a country girl with a fresh smiley face who knows how to be gracious and it works for her. Kristen always looked like she hated the fans and hated being looked at. It doesn't matter what group or groups of people you think may like or dislike JLawrence or Kristen, the point is that it's not going to be here forever so appreciate it while you have it. KS seems to be self sabotaging her career at every least she'll have her cash to keep her warm at night.

by Anonymousreply 2703/03/2013

If I were Jennifer Lawrence I'd be pissed that something like this went to press.

by Anonymousreply 2803/03/2013

It would be beautiful karma if Kristen blew all her money on drugs and ended up signing autographs at Twilight conventions to make ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 2903/03/2013

I love her too.

by Anonymousreply 3003/03/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is our Queen!

by Anonymousreply 3103/03/2013

I agree with R28. This isn't needed and contributes to overexposure.

by Anonymousreply 3203/03/2013

Why, R28?

According to the interview with the boy's mother (Pollyanna?!), he loves attention. If that's true, then it's not as if he &/or his family would feel that the publicity violated their privacy.

Stories like this put her in a positive light & set a good example for others about how to treat people who are different from ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 3303/03/2013

"There's been no negative press, [R11]. The Oscar press conference and the weed pics just made her even more popular."

You are fucking delusional. The "weed pics made her even more popular?" Uh, no they didn't. You're a nutso fangurl. Get some help.

by Anonymousreply 3403/03/2013

"Jennifer Lawrence is our Queen!"

Speak for yourself, you silly twat.

Is Jennifer Lawrence supposed to be some kind of gay icon? Why the hell would that be? Is is because she's a closeted lesbian? I don't see why that would be reason for gays to worship her.

Somebody ought to teach her some manners and how to conduct herself in public. She doesn't appear to have been raised well.

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2013

[quote]She doesn't appear to have been raised well.

The fuck?

I'm sure Andy would disagree. and his mother would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2013

Your bitterness is delicious, R34!

But look it up. People LOVED the Oscar press conference. I can't remember when a press conference for an Oscar win went viral. Even DL seemed to like it, and we hate everything here. It showed that she was witty, funny and didn't take herself so seriously.

As for the Hawaii pics - does anybody but the most ridiculously prudish care that she was smoking a joint on her balcony? It made her more 'relatable' and 'fun'. Who wouldn't want to relax in Hawaii with some weed after you've won the Oscar?

Wake me when she's photographed falling out of a club drunk or screaming at paparazzi.

Otherwise she's a publicist's wet dream in how she presents to the media.

She's everything Anne Hathaway and Kristen Stewart try to be and both fail miserably.

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2013

With your logic, R35, Adele certainly shouldn't be our Queen, and she seems to be. She is marginally talented, fat, and dresses horribly. Yet around here and all of gaydom, she is worshiped and adored. At least Lawrence seems to have a fun and positive personality.

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2013

Anyone else see a resemblance, however faint, to Suzanne Pleshette?

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2013

So far, she's coming off a hell of a lot better than Taylor Swift with her boyfriend-of-the-month (or week, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2013

Judging from the comments, Daily Mail readers, who are usually conservative and prudish, have no issues with her. "What cigarette? I don't see one.", "What's wrong with relaxing with a joint?" and complaints about the invasion of privacy are the most favored responses.

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2013

R39 - a bit. More in the voice.

by Anonymousreply 4203/03/2013

Lawrence reminds me a lot of a young Diane Lane, in terms of looks and that sort of older than her years sexuality. She has a much warmer and funnier personality, though, and she already does a much better job picking her roles.

IMO, JL is the most entertaining actor in interviews since Emma Thompson hit the A-List in the late 80's/early 90's.

by Anonymousreply 4303/04/2013

This happened in my school, although the boy they were trying to elect as Homecoming King was not exactly obviously mentally disabled, just very socially clumsy and geeky and bullied. He probably was autistic. He just didn't "get it" and was a perpetual butt of jokes. He had been bullied by this particular clique since kindergarten.

The popular kids nominated him as a big fat joke, and he won (and to his credit pretended he was happy), but it was all as a joke. I like to think that hopefully he didn't really understand that he was being mocked.

I wonder whether this easily could have been the same situation here, and that this story is a cover-up. This raises my hackles, rather than thinking that Jennifer Lawrence is a sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 4403/04/2013

here he is on video and yes, she IS that nice

by Anonymousreply 4503/04/2013

I'm assuming if that were true, R44, Andy's mother wouldn't give an interview with such a glowing report about Jennifer Lawrence.

She could have just as easily gone to the press to say what an asshole Lawrence was to her kid (if true).

by Anonymousreply 4603/04/2013

"It showed that she was witty, funny and didn't take herself so seriously."

There's nothing "witty" about flipping the bird. And she seemed rather confused and uncomprehending when questioned. Maybe that's because she "had a shot" before facing the reporters. I guess her swoony fans were delighted: "Ooohh, she's TIPSY! Isn't she the most darling thing! That's so CUTE!"

She seems like a mess; inarticulate, plump, frequently under the influence of something. She tends to put her foot in her mouth. Right now she's being given a free ride due to her youth and premature success, but believe me, that's going to wear off. And soon if she keeps getting photographed drunk, stoned, undressed and canoodling with another female.

by Anonymousreply 4703/04/2013

OK, gramps at R47. Time for your nap.

by Anonymousreply 4803/04/2013

R43 - Diane did not look older than her years when she was 22. Jennifer and Diane have rather different features.

Actresses who Jennifer remind me of are Theresa Russell, Mary McCormack, and Laura Prepon.

by Anonymousreply 4903/04/2013

R49, you're ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2013

God bless this truly amazing woman.

by Anonymousreply 5103/04/2013

I like this kid. I hope she has a great career and stays away from the bullshit. I also hope she comes out as liking girls, because I think she's a little queerio.

by Anonymousreply 5203/04/2013

R48 might make more sense if he'd take his tongue out of Jennifer Lawrences unwashed anus.

by Anonymousreply 5303/04/2013

"God bless this truly amazing woman"

What's "truly amazing" about her? Boy, you sound really retarded.

by Anonymousreply 5403/04/2013

R47 sounds extremely bitter and unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 5503/04/2013

It kind of seems like she's leading him on...He definitely feels that their "friendship" is more than it is. I don't know. I find it all a bit condescending and disingenuous, but the friendship is also kind of decent.

by Anonymousreply 5603/04/2013

[quote]It kind of seems like she's leading him on

Yes, he must have a trust fund of some sorts for her to be doing this. Or she's a sociopath. Only those two can be the real reason.

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2013

Now, now [R51] don't be a shit disturber.

by Anonymousreply 5803/04/2013

I'm wondering what her casting couch experience has been considering the big budget AND art house dream films she has been cast in at such a tender age. Most actresses could only dream of stepping from Winter's Bone to Hunger Games to SLP but doing it before the age of 23? Mind boggling- so who was/is she blowing?

by Anonymousreply 5903/05/2013

She seems to have a naturally progressing career. Started out in commercials. Then a sitcom. Then small roles in indies. Then Winter's Bone. The Oscar nom opened the door for Hunger Games.

Now Quvenzhané Wallis? That's another story.

by Anonymousreply 6003/05/2013

She auditioned for Twilight but was beat out by Kristen Stewart. Now there's an actress that I can see having to resort to the casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 6103/05/2013

I love her reaction to seeing her Dior campaign.

by Anonymousreply 6203/06/2013

Whatever anyone thinks of Jennifer Lawrence, she at least is a female/feminine "role model" or object of admiration for young girls that's far preferable to anything else Hollywood is currently offering. She's normal weight, not conventionally beautiful but a girl who can be attractive to many (men in and women alike), and she's managed to pick roles that aren't demeaning or stupid. No simpering from her.

by Anonymousreply 6303/06/2013

I think she'd be wrong for Bella.

by Anonymousreply 6403/06/2013

Bella has no personality. KStew was the perfect Bella.

by Anonymousreply 6503/06/2013

She was so good in Winter's Bone.

by Anonymousreply 6604/16/2013

I don't understand the claim that JL looks older than her years. To me, she looks exactly like the 22-year-old she is.

by Anonymousreply 6704/16/2013

R67 She looks her age but I think she can also pass for someone in their mid to late 20s as well.

by Anonymousreply 6804/16/2013

Andy likes blue.

by Anonymousreply 6904/17/2013

At Cannes, looking fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 7005/18/2013

Jennifer gushing over meeting Jeff Bridges.

by Anonymousreply 7107/24/2013

That article at R62 is nauseating:

"She looks CGI. She has no pores, she’s just perfect.” So if anyone on the planet doesn’t need the help of Photoshop it’s Miss Lawrence."

Her face is near perfection and her attitude is 100% real. She’s funny and spontaneous and sharp."

Who wrote this, a smitten 15 year old lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 7207/24/2013

Bitter much R72?

by Anonymousreply 7307/24/2013

So bored of this cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7407/24/2013

Pathetic much r73?

by Anonymousreply 7507/24/2013

I enjoyed her on Conan.

by Anonymousreply 7612/19/2013

Me too, R76. Gal's a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 7712/19/2013

The Disney star had to have been someone who toured in the past couple of years for Jennifer to think she'd have any pull with them, so I doubt it's Hillary Duff. My guess is Selena Gomez or Demi Lovato since I don't think Miley has had a tour other than her upcoming one.

by Anonymousreply 7812/19/2013

Lawrence displays more charm in that one Conan clip than the Stewart girl has in her entire career.

I hope she wins Best Supporting this year, just to piss off her haters.

by Anonymousreply 7912/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!