Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why didn't they spin-off Fred & Ethel

When "I Love Lucy" ended?

by Desilureply 1803/03/2013

Because unlike Norman Lear some of us have some creativity.

by Desilureply 103/03/2013

Probably because Vivian and William couldn't stand each other, according to rumors.

by Desilureply 203/03/2013

I read that there were discussion, but Viv and Bill knew that it wouldn't work and were happy playing supporting characters to Lucy. They were smart. A Fred and Ethel show wouldn't have worked, even though I would have loved a Mrs. Trumble spin off.

by Desilureply 303/03/2013

The Carolyn Appleby show is now in development as a back door pilot on NBC.

by Desilureply 403/03/2013

Spinning off supporting characters from a sitcom rarely works (yes, I know about Rhoda, but even that didn't last long). See: Phyllis; The Ropers.

by Desilureply 503/03/2013

They tried to and offered Vivian and William a huge amount of money for that time to do it. William wanted to do it but Vivian hated his guts and flatly declined it.

by Desilureply 603/03/2013

Lucille Ball was going to do it, but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Desilureply 703/03/2013

r7, dear one, that would have been impossible, since she was still very much married to Desi at the time.

by Desilureply 803/03/2013

Because Fred moved to "My Three Sons" and Ethel had had enough of it.

by Desilureply 903/03/2013

[quote]The Carolyn Appleby show is now in development as a back door pilot on NBC.

Word on the street is that Carolyn loves it in the back door.

by Desilureply 1003/03/2013

R2 is right, they could not get along. But also at the time, I don't think many people recognized how deft a comedic actress Vivan Vance was. She was often given the funniest lines in ILL an always pulled them off. Lucille Ball had so much attention and adoration that she threw the other three talents in the shade.

by Desilureply 1103/03/2013

Vivian Vance made the first two seasons of The Lucy Show bearable. She was always amazing when she was fighting with Lucy.

by Desilureply 1203/03/2013

They saw how "Mrs Trumbull Presents" went down the tubes.

by Desilureply 1303/03/2013

The Marian Strong spin-off "Cackle, Cackle, Cackle" also never got off the ground.

by Desilureply 1403/03/2013

VIvian and William fought over where the new sitcom would take place:

Albuquerque or Steubenville, OH.

by Desilureply 1503/03/2013

Ethel proposed an alternate series idea where she was a merry widow out on the town after Fred's death, but it didn't fly.

by Desilureply 1603/03/2013

Agreed R12.

The other factor was Desi Arnaz. He produced the first year of The Lucy Show and it was by far the best season. Some episodes rank up there with I Love Lucy.

Once Vivian Vance left, things really went down hill.

by Desilureply 1703/03/2013

A spinoff was presented but Vivian and Bill hated each other at a level that was psychotic. When she did The Lucy Show, Bill would throw shit at the studio door when they were recording. My Three Sons shot next door. This is on the Lucy Show DVDs. When Viv heard that Bill died, she said let's celebrate with a round of drinks. Bill was a drunk, a gambler, and never knew his lines. He would ask to only have a few pages of dialogue so he could leave to go to the track. He moaned all the time. Viv referred to him as the old man, and was insulted that they paired her with someone who was so much older that herself.

by Desilureply 1803/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.