Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

History Channel's THE VIKINGS

The new scripted drama premieres tonight.

From the creator of "The Tudors" and starring former CK underwear model Travis Fimmel and Gabriel Byrne.

I'm going to give it a shot...early reviews are encouraging, and I'm guessing many of the male characters will be hot, in an uncivilized, possibly murderous yet emotionally conflicted way. Kind of like some of the guys I've known from real life.

I want to see wanton pillaging and bedroom intrigue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353December 6, 2019 9:36 PM

Fimmel should lose the beard. He looks better when he looks like a girl (see link). He should also do a Henry Cavill and go shirtless often and show butt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2013 6:44 PM

There are SOOOOO many ridiculously hot men on this show. I love it! And Travis Fimmel is simply gorgeous; mesmerizing eyes, beautiful face, hot body. If all Vikings had looked like that, I would've nominated myself their pass-around slut slave. Great series!

by Anonymousreply 2March 11, 2013 4:59 AM

I LURVE this show

by Anonymousreply 3March 11, 2013 5:09 AM

You may want to see pillaging, I just want to see some manly, hairy Viking Nordic ass.

by Anonymousreply 4March 11, 2013 6:37 AM

Interesting episode where the slave (a young English monk) is invited by his Viking master to join him and his wife in their lovemaking.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2013 2:04 PM

Yes R5, was that historically accurate?

Did it hint at the combination of warrior on monk?

Anybody know Scandinavian pagan Penthouse-type stories?

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2013 2:10 PM

[quote]Did it hint at the combination of warrior on monk?

No but the Viking seemed quiet eager to share his wife.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2013 2:13 PM

I thought that, too, R7 -- but then I wondered if it was a test, just as the same scenario was used by the leader (Gabriel Byrne) in an earlier episode. The man who agreed to have sex with the leader's wife, at the leader's invitation, was killed. In last night's episode, the blond Viking leaves entrusts his children to the monk, saying that he was responsible and trustworthy. I wonder if refusing the offer of sex proved his trustworthiness.

Or Vikings could have just been a horny bunch.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2013 3:51 PM

There's very little documented about Vikings and the homosex though it seems they followed the old, "It's okay as long as you are the one penetrating" rule.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2013 3:56 PM

You simply can't beat the 1958 film THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis in their prime, with Janet Leigh and Ernest Borgnine - great story and supporting characters, its got everything. I have to watch it everytime its on despite having the dvd. Its a childhood movie I still love now. That Welsh castle, the bear pit, the ships, the great photography by Jack Cardiff.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2013 4:09 PM

Ragnar and Rollo are two hot brothers in constant conflict. Our hero Ragnar is smart and sly, soft-spoken and wanting to learn English from the "priest." (Loving the English monk "priest," especially if he lets his hair grow out on top)

I really like the crazy genius boatbuilder Floki, with the crazy eyes.

Gabriel Byrne is very good as the bad guy monarch. His overpainted ambitious wife--wasn't she Schuster's wife on GLEE?

Gorgeous location shots from Ireland.

Anyway, it is good stuff... too bad that imported miniseries "The Bible" is grabbing all the attention.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2013 11:56 PM

I like the series as well.

I mentioned in the Travis Fimmel thread that he looked more into the threesome than the wife.

Jessylin Gilsig or whatever her name is, completely takes me out of the scenes she is in.

Hated her on Glee and don't like her here either.

Bitch had the man killed.

Like the crazy boat-builder, too.

by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2013 2:14 AM

The crazy boat builder is Gustaf Skarskad from the Skarskard family clan (Stellan is his father and Alexander is his brother) and he plays a gay character in the movie Patrik 1.5.

by Anonymousreply 13March 19, 2013 2:31 AM

The earl's pudgy little henchman is the creepiest character on this show. When he killed that boy, it was horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 14March 19, 2013 3:48 AM

I get a slashy vibe between Ragnar and the monk. When Raggy talks to him, he puts all his focus on him with this almost hungry look on his face. Ragnar's eyes never leave his face.

The promo for next weeks episode showed Ragnar injured and Athelstan praying -- he says something like "blessed mother, don't let this man die". The monk has Stockholm syndrome or is smitten.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2013 2:15 PM

Did I miss something?

Why is Ragnar a criminal all of a sudden? What did he do wrong?

So he killed that rapist, he was just covering up for his wife.

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2013 2:59 AM

OMG, he's pretty!

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2013 3:14 AM

THIS SHOW ROCKS. LEAD ACTOR TRAVIS IS SMOKING WHITE HOT. High quality production, 9 episodes... Awesome!

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2013 10:37 PM

The show doesn't expose Travis's body.

Too bad it's so boring, too. A bunch of drummed-up, nonsensical conflicts that wouldn't have to happen.

The creators don't have any genuine stories to tell or real-world observations to make, nor any rich characters.

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2013 11:35 PM

Bwaa haaahaa heeeheee hip hip hip

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2013 10:06 PM

SEASON 2 STARTS TOMORROW, 02/27! Will we get to see Ragnar and Athelstan in some hot Viking/ex-monk homosex action?!

I can't get enough of Travis Fimmel's sexy-as-fuck body and gorgeous blue eyes! And he's still not married. Yay!

In case you need to catch up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2014 10:10 PM

No love for this beautiful (possibly gay) man?!

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2014 4:20 AM

I DVRed the show, I watched last season, I agree, Travis is HOT, hots of HOT men in this show! Loki is crazy cool.

Any gossip on the Aussie, Travis ?

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2014 4:32 AM

Didn't he say something homophobic at one point?

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2014 4:47 AM

I discovered this show last year flipping around, and then locked on it and started fapping off.

HOT men!

by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2014 5:08 AM

I liked the show originally but the 2nd season is slow and repetitive: Vikings raid a village, beat the people there to death, take their treasures. Ragnar makes a soft-spoken speech to someone, with eyes blazing.

Second plot is boring: various people back at the village are scheming, like Rollo, Ragnar's new wife and Rollo's woman. Also, that blond guy with the braided beard still holds a grudge and is planning something.

Lagetha has a new man and her son is grown up, but it's not that compelling. Sonny is pissed at step-daddy and you know he's gonna go back to real Dad.

by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2014 2:05 PM

I liked the show in the first season and I like this season so far too. I thought last night's episode was great so I have to disagree with you, R26. I think Ragnar will have finally met his match in the Saxon King Ecbert. Will be interesting to see how that develops.

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2014 3:06 PM

I'm not sure about that Fimmel guy as a viking, he looks as though he sparkles. Please don't tell me that they are sparkly vikings.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2014 3:17 PM

ALEXANDER LUDWIG is Bjorn this season! Holy fuck, he's gorgeous!

And I like the fact that they're still exploring the homoeroticism in Ragnar's and Athelstan's relationship (Athelstan is shown softly caressing the golden bracelet than Ragnar gave him). I think that Athelstan gave up him religion because of his love for Ragnar, but obviously he remains conflicted.

Travis Fimmel is incredible in this. His subtle facial and body movements that he uses to emphasize his lines are hypnotic.

Clive Standen is beautiful too. That one-punch knockout while seated of [the blond guy with the braided beard] was hilarious, and disturbingly sexy.

I can't believe that Gustaf and Alexander Skarsgard are brothers!

Katheryn Winnick is hot as Lagertha. Someone should get her into a superhero blockbuster stat.

I still say that Travis and George Blagden are fucking IRL.

AWESOME season so far!

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2014 3:27 PM

Agree with you, R29. I love everything about this show. I never thought anything about VIkings could be this entertaining.

And Floki (Gustav Skarsgard) is both scary and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2014 6:32 PM

He looks like Stephanie March.

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2014 6:42 PM

Does the viking go up into the viking in this show?

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2014 6:46 PM

Brother Athelston is hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2014 7:09 PM

I have this recurring fantasy about being Rollo's cum bucket.

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2014 8:17 PM

Gustaf Skarsgard is awesome in this. He's a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2014 8:40 PM

I loved the scene where Ragnar's first wife told him she wanted a divorce. Was there really such a thing as divorce during that time period?? Just poor writing sometimes.

Fimmel is ok as an actor. He lucked out with this role.

There is a Jimmy Kimmel interview where Fimmel comes across as a real idiot. Youtube it.

I want to love this show, but there are too many shortcomings to it. It could be much better.

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2014 8:47 PM

Okay, can some regular viewers answer this: Does this show have a pro-Christian bias?

Not much of one, to be sure, but I watched a couple of episodes last night to see what it was like, and it seemed like the filmmakers did not share my enthusiasm for watching pagans slaughter Christians.

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2014 10:15 PM

37 it most certainly does not.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Last night's episode showed them torturing a priest. The characters show much disdain for Christianity in general.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2014 10:21 PM

A few episodes ago, the guy with the nasty pigtail beard was fighting alongside Ragnar and Donal Logue against Rollo. After the fight, he was offered a percentage of the spoils of their future raids and he refused, if I remember correctly. Wasn't the offer made by DL's character? Why is he still harping on Ragnar? I must have missed why he still has a grudge, pouting and terrorizing Ragnar's village.

What's the dealio?.

by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2014 7:18 PM

I think Jarl Borg refused the land deal offered by Donal Logue's character (King Horik). All three men did agree to go raiding together but then King Horik told Ragnar that he changed his mind about it. So Borg is all ticked off at both of them and decided to start his plan of revenge by raiding Ragnar's village.

by Anonymousreply 40March 16, 2014 12:41 AM

Forgot to add that Jarl Borg was actually fighting on the same side as Rollo, against Ragnar and King Horik.

by Anonymousreply 41March 16, 2014 12:43 AM

So what happened to King Horik in this last episode? I like Ragnar's old wife. His young wife gets on my last nerve. I feel sorry for Brother Athelston.

I guess by now he realizes he should have gone with Ragnar instead of staying behind to help. One more thing. Linus Roache. Damn he is hot.

As for Travis Fimmel yes, he got lucky. I don't think he's a very good actor at all. He looks good all dressed up, and he fakes it well enough, but I think assessing him as an idiot based on his talk show appearance with Kimmel is pretty accurate.

He's Australian, and his glory days were modeling underwear for Calvin Klein. never married. Never associated with a woman. He's 35.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2014 4:41 AM

No one even gives a crap. Even though it appears Travis might be gay. Fuck it. I'm bumping this thread.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2014 1:47 PM

Here is an interview with Travis Fimmel where he is almost hanging on the guy who plays the monk.

Hope I posted the link correctly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2014 2:23 PM

My hot little monk

I can't keep my hands off you

Oh now you're blushing

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2014 3:03 PM

Datalounge stopped updating about a half hour ago. Is this going to be another weekend of limited use?

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2014 3:12 PM

Everybody on the couch would get it R44

by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2014 3:27 PM

Boring.

by Anonymousreply 48March 22, 2014 3:33 PM

Thanks for the you tube clip, R44. Definitely something going on there with Travis and the monk. You can tell there's tension between the two of them,and the other two guys. Skarsgaard looks a lot different in real life, but it's still hard to believe he's Alexander's brother. Maybe two different mothers?

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2014 3:36 PM

Damn, that little monk is hot. I think Travis Fimmel was just teasing him though. I don't think there's really anything going on there. Skargard's character is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2014 4:21 PM

Especially since Fimmel is straight R50.

by Anonymousreply 51March 22, 2014 4:59 PM

Wow. Thanks SO much, R51. I'm SO GLAD you told us. I mean, you'd know if anyone would, right? I'd hate to mistake him for gay.

by Anonymousreply 52March 22, 2014 5:12 PM

Horik really fucked Ragnar over, didn't he. By pushing the other guy out, he set the stage for him to invade Ragnar's lands. Then Ragnar has to rush home and abandon the field to rescue his family and leaves Horik in charge. But Horik likes to party too much. Lots of raping and not enough pillaging.

by Anonymousreply 53March 22, 2014 5:14 PM

I'm Norwegian. I should probably watch this, but I just don't think it's something that I would like. Hmm..

by Anonymousreply 54March 22, 2014 9:42 PM

Sounds like they were aiming for the Game of Thrones audience here.

by Anonymousreply 55March 22, 2014 10:07 PM

I agree, R53. I don't think that King Horik is the leader that Ragnar is. Will be interesting to see how he handles things in England now that he is in charge.

I'm also not sure what King Ecbert has in store for Athelstan. At least he saved the little monk's life though, so there's that. I will be pissed if Athelstan is killed off.

by Anonymousreply 56March 22, 2014 11:02 PM

I really don't know how the monk could have trusted Ragnar again after Ragnar brought him along on that trip to the sacred place with the intent of having him become a human sacrifice. Ragnar said if the monk hadn't consented to making the trip, he would have forced him to come along. I mean, what's a little ritual murder between friends?

by Anonymousreply 57March 23, 2014 1:13 AM

Ragner knew the monk wouldn't be sacrificed bc Athelstan was not a true believer of viking gods. That was revealed in the end when the monk survived bc he held a rosary, ie he was a Christian. Only true pagan worshipers are good enough for sacrifice and Ragnar knew that one of his brave men would volunteer to be the sacrifice when athelstan deemed not good enough. It protected Ragnar from having to choose the sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 58March 23, 2014 1:20 AM

I think King Ecbert wants Athelstan to talk about everything he knows about Ragnar and the Vikings. Athelstan will probably talk to him. But I also believe Athelstan 's heart is still with Ragnar's family.

Once Horik is out of the way, maybe Ecbert & Ragnar will reach an accommodation where Ragnar gets land to colonize and settle, and Ecbert gets his sword to help consolidate his power over more of England. Right now there are several kings and the land is divided. The question is, will Ragnar ever trust Athelstan again? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 59March 23, 2014 2:31 AM

Travis can not be gay. He went barefoot to a premiere. He was barefoot in that interview. Obviously not gay.

by Anonymousreply 60March 23, 2014 2:54 AM

In the same interview, Travis is teasing the monk about his on set romance with the actress who plays Siggy's daughter. While Travis may be gay, little George is not.

by Anonymousreply 61March 23, 2014 2:55 AM

R59, I'm not sure if Athelstan will betray anything about Ragnar to King Ecbert. I do actually think the former monk is quite loyal to his new Viking family. He did kill more than a few of the English when they invaded Westminster and even if he took pity on the bishop who was being tortured and was not able to be a human sacrifice, I still don't see him giving anything vital up to Ecbert. I also think that Ragnar really trusts and likes Athelstan too and is going to be upset when he finds out that he was captured by the English and almost killed.

As to whether or not either Travis Fimmel or George Blagden is gay, who really cares? Neither of them strikes me as gay but I could easily be wrong. And it's not as if any of us will be able to find out for ourselves, unfortunately!

by Anonymousreply 62March 23, 2014 6:13 AM

HOT DAMN! We'll be seeing more of Travis Fimmel, George Blagden, Clive Standen, Alexander Ludwig, and Katheryn Winnick (I'm gay, and I get tingly feelings in my nethers whenever she's on the screen). Vikings has been renewed for a third season. WOOT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2014 12:39 AM

Nice to know and thanks, r63.

Watching ep 5 from this week now, and I'm kind of amazed the series hasn't generated more buzz -- this is some good stuff, and way more subtle than I expected.

The promise of hot guys has been well delivered, as well

by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2014 7:17 PM

The guy playing the teenage Bjorn is hot as fuck

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2014 7:35 AM

Oooooooooh Travis Fimmel. Now he was hot, and there are few men I find attractive.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2014 8:40 AM

Travis is as lucky as a pig in slop. He has limited talent, his looks aren't what they were ten years ago. He peaked when he modeled underwear for Calvin Klein. But I'm thoroughly enjoying the show, and I think he's perfect as Ragnar.

The guy who plays his treacherous brother Rollo, Clive Standen is a much better actor, and his ex wife is pretty cool. Yes, Bjorn has grown up nicely.

You can see there is a rivalry between father and son. And don't get me started on the priest, Athelstan. I love him. Linus Roach is a hot older daddy, too.

Very successful series. I like things that seem authentic, and this one is sort of historically accurate even if the details suffer in service to the story.

by Anonymousreply 67March 30, 2014 12:11 PM

Fimmel's acting has improved since the first season, but he's still the weak link among the leads. However I do enjoy the undercurrent of affection/lust between him and Athelstan.

by Anonymousreply 68March 30, 2014 4:35 PM

Travis is excellent. His portrayal is a perfect balance of dangerous thug, sweet and sexy lover, and psychotic seducer. Turns me the fuck ON.

by Anonymousreply 69March 30, 2014 5:10 PM

I've always loved Lagertha as a character, but never more than when she stabbed her drunk, abusive husband in the eye.

by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2014 4:03 PM

That scene with Lagertha was excellent, R70. I also liked when that other guy took the abusive husband's head clean off.

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2014 4:11 PM

What's up with Athelstein and powerful men, thoughtful men?

Ragnar is pining for his slave boy.

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2014 9:52 PM

They all want in his sweet monk pants

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2014 10:12 PM

Lagertha stabbing her husband in the eye was one of the best scenes of the show. Now, she has to find the three men who came to her room the night before and beat the tar out of her.

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2014 10:17 PM

Lagertha doesn't seem to be the kind of woman who would let those men get away without exacting her revenge.

by Anonymousreply 75April 7, 2014 2:07 AM

Did Ragnar and Rollo hatch the plot to capture Jarl Borg and keep it a secret until it actually happened? If King Horik hadn't brought up the idea of taking Jarl Borg on their raids, I wonder if they would have found some other way to lure him back.

by Anonymousreply 76April 7, 2014 5:04 AM

It pisses me off--and makes me giggle at the same time--that Ragnar's new husband-stealing housewhore keeps referring to wife #1 as "Slagertha." Bitch.

Hee!

by Anonymousreply 77April 8, 2014 1:02 AM

After the ass-beatings she handed out during the last two episodes, they should call her Lagerthor.

by Anonymousreply 78April 8, 2014 1:04 AM

Thanks to King Ecbert, Athelstan can't escape the allure of the pagan world, even in pious England.

I wonder if Bjorn will be forced into marriage with the second Mrs. Jarl Borg.

Is there a reason why Siggy and Rollo haven't married? Is she barred from remarrying because she the wife of a defeated earl?

by Anonymousreply 79April 8, 2014 5:15 AM

R79, I've wondered why Siggy and Rollo haven't ever gotten married either. I don't think a reason has ever been given. I want to know what Siggy is up to with King Horik also. Is she sleeping with him for her own personal gain? It would seem so after her conversation with the Seer. I think Rollo is going to find out about it sooner or later.

King Ecbert is an interesting character. I like the relationship he has with Athelstan. He seems to want to know all about the Vikings via Athelstan; kind of a "knowledge is power" thing.

by Anonymousreply 80April 8, 2014 4:10 PM

I don't like King Horik. He is pure slime. And I don't see what he can gain from getting with Siggy.I think Rollo and Siggy need to be together, and someone needs to kill Horik. Ragnar can't be ignorant of the fact that Horik brought on all his current troubles. Who gets to run Jarl's stronghold now?

As for Athelstan, there's a Christian saint named Athelstan but he lived at a different time. Although maybe they're using dramatic license. King Ecbert was an interesting historical figure. Smart too.

Really want to know what becomes of Laegurtha now. After all, she was beaten by several men. I didn't recognize the guy who offed her husband. Is he important?

by Anonymousreply 81April 9, 2014 6:28 PM

[quote]Oooooooooh Travis Fimmel. Now he was hot, and there are few men I find attractive.

R66, that remark is truly amazing to me, as I rather enjoy watching any scenes with Ragnar's wife Lagertha, and I am a gay man! It helps a lot that she has more balls than some of the male characters, but the actress herself (Katheryn Winnick) is both physically beautiful and quite talented as an actress. She is really mesmerizing to me. Can I get a "MARY!"? :-)

by Anonymousreply 82April 9, 2014 6:49 PM

I love how "handsy" Ragnar is with males. He hugs and pets his three sons like a very loving father and he showed great affection for Athelstan. He gets up in dudes faces and get touchy with them, like running his hands over Jarl Borg last night before he executed him. Funnilly enough, he doesn't get so affectionate with brother Rollo.

by Anonymousreply 83April 11, 2014 1:20 PM

Yes, Ragnar is all kinds of sexy (and we got to see his bare feets!). Jarl Borg probably was hard as a rock when Ragnar was gently stroking him. --That is, right before Ragnar slit his back open with a hunting knife, hacked his ribcage open with a hatchet, and flopped his lungs over his shoulders. EEK! That was an EXCELLENTLY filmed scene. The looks on the other characters' faces made it even more realistic. Amazing.

And Lagertha as the new earl was so hot. She is a goddess.

AND ROLLO WALKING AROUND HALF NAKED! Those big nips, softly hair pecs that jut way out, insanely tapered torso and cut abs. I almost passed out into the popcorn bowl. Yummm!

by Anonymousreply 84April 11, 2014 4:03 PM

So there was a homophobic scene last night. That's what you're saying. One that ends in brutal violence. And we like his here, why exactly??

by Anonymousreply 85April 11, 2014 5:16 PM

What the fuck are you talking about, R86? What homophobic scene?! Go watch the fucking episode and/or show and then come back and comment. Else, just pipe down.

by Anonymousreply 86April 11, 2014 5:24 PM

Of all executions I have seen, that is truly the most intimate. It was strangely brutal and loving at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 87April 11, 2014 6:37 PM

It was horrible.

I looked it up, and Ragnar becomes King according to history as written on Wiki. He also invades Paris at some point. Yes.

But here's the thing. Horik also remains a king, and ironically, if this is the right Horik, and I could only find one, it looks like he outlives Ragnar. He was a treacherous bastard who rose to power by killing off one of his brothers. So yeah, Horik is slimy.

by Anonymousreply 88April 11, 2014 6:52 PM

All I want to say is Siggie better watch herself. Ragnar is on to her. He saw her whispering with Horik. The fact that Rollo knows she's having sex with Horik makes him culpable even if he does nothing. Rollo needs to stop talking to her about stuff, and then Rollo wonders why Ragnar doesn't trust him.

by Anonymousreply 89April 11, 2014 8:25 PM

Whenever they show the Vikings rowing out on one of their raids, there is something that takes me out of the program: I find myself pondering the ships they travel in.

The show is vague on how long it takes to get from Norway to England; they seem to get there in a day, which I know is TV magic. It must take several days and I find myself thinking: those ships look small - just two rows for the oarsmen to sit and some standing room. Their boats don't appear to have a lower deck, so I have no idea where those guys sleep, where they store the food/fresh water, where they cook, etc. Do they take turns crapping over the side - the women too?

Guess I better hit Wikipedia for some "real" Viking history.

by Anonymousreply 90April 11, 2014 9:09 PM

I hate the plot line of "lovesick Bjorn chases hot slave girl". It seems they want Bjorn to be viewed as a regular guy who is not following his station/lot in life and that "twu love is blind". He don't need no stinking princess.

Don't turn this show into the CW where they have to have a cheesy storyline for the teen/female demographic. Or worse, the History Channel is hoping to keep the male watchers happy with a hot blond female piece of eye candy who might show some skin.

by Anonymousreply 91April 11, 2014 9:24 PM

R86, are you marginally mentally retarded? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 92April 11, 2014 9:27 PM

The only way to have equality and keep everyone happy is to require that every character gets naked on screen.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 93April 11, 2014 10:46 PM

I agree! Seeing Travis, Clive, George, Alexander, Katheryn, Jessalyn, Linus, and the rest of these ridiculously hot actors walking around in all their glory would shoot the ratings through the roof!

by Anonymousreply 94April 11, 2014 10:56 PM

This historical soft porn thing was tiresome when it began.

by Anonymousreply 95April 11, 2014 11:05 PM

I wondered that too R90 on one of the episodes from the 1st season when they bring back the monks & one of them dies on board. You just think about how that boat must of just stunk to high heaven!

by Anonymousreply 96April 12, 2014 12:31 AM

These are people who are used to living with very few creature comforts. They have goats roaming in and out of their homes, for god's sake. It's not like they needed something like the QEII to cross over to England.

by Anonymousreply 97April 12, 2014 4:48 AM

That execution scene was filmed so well. I kept wondering how on earth they were going to show something that brutal. Very well done. Ragnar in that ceremonial white robe was like some kind of avenging angel or something.

One thing I'm not clear on. Originally King Horik had told Jarl Borg that he had decided to help him escape. Did they ever address what made him change his mind?

by Anonymousreply 98April 12, 2014 7:12 AM

I was all ready for a loving Ragnar/Athelstan reunion in last nights episode and FAIL! And very nice eye candy last night when Rollo and Bjorn were practicing their swordplay on the beach. Woof.

Were those Vikings who ambushed the King's son or some random wild tribe? I didn't recognize anyone that I'd seen with Ragnar's people; are the Vikings going to be accused of something they didn't do?

A couple of times it sounded like Lagertha said "Oragnar" instead of Ragnar. What's that about?

What's is King Horik's master plan? I lost track on that.

I'd love more info on that psychic/prophet guy. No explanation why he looks like he was burned in a fire. This show doesn't steer towards the supernatural but that guy seems to be not totally human. Where'd he come from, what does he do all day, is he from a line of seers, many other questions.

by Anonymousreply 99April 18, 2014 1:35 PM

Not sure who it was who ambushed King Ecbert's son and his troops. I saw someone who kind of looked like Lagertha from the back but I can't be certain. But it does seem as if King Horik and Ragnar are going to lash over the right way to deal with the English.

I'd like to know more about the Seer too. It looks like he is missing both eyes. And that thing people do where they lick the palm of his hand after he advises them is gross. Not sure what the point of that is.

by Anonymousreply 100April 18, 2014 9:53 PM

It was the asshole Viking king's son. It was meant to undermine Ragnar...

Speaking of Ragnar, did you notice how he acted like a love struck school boy at the mention of Athelstan? He took his bracelet and put it on his arm. He loves his little monk slave boy!

by Anonymousreply 101April 18, 2014 10:58 PM

FINALLY, Ragnar and Athelstan get back together. Their scenes together were so great and sweet. Too bad for King Ecbert - he was hot for Athelstan and Ragnar 'won'.

by Anonymousreply 102April 25, 2014 5:18 AM

So glad that Athelstan chose to go back and live with the Vikings again. His bromance with Ragnar is epic. And you could see how sad King Ecbert was in that scene where he was wandering around Athelstan's room and looking at what he left behind.

by Anonymousreply 103April 25, 2014 3:51 PM

Eckbert was genuinely looking for an alliance so he could use them as mercenaries. He really wants to use the Vikings to unify England and get rid of his competition. Including that fat king, Aelle, or whatever his name is.

I saw the preview of next week's finale, and things don't look good. I have to ask a question. What made Floki turn on Ragnar and sidle up to Horik?

Horik's plotting against Ragnar and using Floki and Rollo's woman to do his dirty work. Things don't look good. I was so curious I had to go to Wiki and read up on them and now I wish I hadn't.

by Anonymousreply 104April 26, 2014 3:10 AM

Stupid Primetime. I couldn't post any replies after yesterday's episode. Anyho...

Ragnar asking Athelstan if he would be coming back or else staying with his own people. And then grabbing onto Athelstan's thigh(!), staring into his eyes, and declaring breathlessly, "I want you to come back." SO. FUCKING. HOT.

I almost fainted thinking that Rollo was going to die. And then his giant manly hands weakly grabbing Athelstan's face and throat. That man has *very* big hands. Yum!

Floki has to die. That evil conniving bitch is going after Bjorn and Ragnar's other kids. Traitorous whore!

I'm afeared that the necklage Aslaug gave Porunn is possessed or something. That poor girl's tits are gonna fall off or something. Mark my words.

And that brazen hussy Princess Kwenthrith getting a handful of Viking cock. I hope she took a deep whiff of her fingers afterward!

by Anonymousreply 105April 26, 2014 3:18 AM

That Princess is a girl after my own heart. She knows what to do with all that viking shit!

Athelstan has returned to his beautiful Ragnar leaving poor King Eskbert to pine away.

by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2014 4:07 AM

Ragnar isn't dumb and his character in this story seems naturally suspicious. I wonder why he's letting Horik to get away with all this sabotage.

He has to know Horik manufactured the conflict that ended in Jarl Borg's death, when he changed his mind about including Jarl Borg in the raiding party.

I think Horik is evil. He's determined to stir up trouble. He keeps probing for weaknesses. Now he has Rollo's woman and Floki. I hope Ragnar kills Floki.

by Anonymousreply 107April 26, 2014 4:40 AM

I like Floki. I don't like that he appears to be turning against Ragnar now. In answer to your question R104, I don't think the show has done a good job of explaining what caused Floki to become unhappy with Ragnar. During the episode when he got married, he mentioned to his bride Helga that he thought Ragnar was getting a bit power hungry, or something along those lines. That was pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 108April 26, 2014 5:59 AM

So I'm seeing that the rumors are that Kathyrin Winnick is a lesbian. What do you say dl?

by Anonymousreply 109April 28, 2014 3:11 AM

R109, don't know and don't care.

by Anonymousreply 110April 28, 2014 5:16 AM

I personally believe that Travis Fimmel is gay, so if those rumors are true, R109, this is a truly momentous show if both its male and female leads are indeed homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 111April 28, 2014 5:32 AM

Where have people heard rumors about the actress who plays Lagatha? Have heard no rumors about her being a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 112April 29, 2014 3:05 AM

S2 finale tonight. I'm watching for Ragnar and Athelstan's big gay love.

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2014 1:48 AM

This is Game of Thrones for the Sontag, Deleuze, Lacan and Barthes crowd. Fucking amazing. More nudity would work, but sadly not sold to pay cable. Bet they regret it now.

by Anonymousreply 114May 2, 2014 1:58 AM

Will the hot Viking earl go up into the hot former English monk tonight?

by Anonymousreply 115May 2, 2014 2:03 AM

Speaking of Ragnar and his male slave...

Check out the random kiss from those two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 2, 2014 2:54 AM

Wait, so are the two actors (the viking and his slave) a couple in real life?

I'm pretty sure the Travis(Viking) just outed George (slaveboy) at the very end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 2, 2014 5:51 AM

Marry me R116!

Thank you for sharing that interview. All four are hot. All four scream they have big European cocks. And who knew Floki was also hot in real life?

One can really feel the gay vibe between Ragnar and Athelstand on that couch. I'd love to see the two of them fucking.

by Anonymousreply 118May 2, 2014 5:57 AM

Too bad Ragnar and Bjorn didn't spitroast that twinky Prince Horik.

by Anonymousreply 119May 2, 2014 12:44 PM

No, the little monk hooked up with one of the actresses from season 1. It's the girl who was Siggy's daughter who washed him when they were going to sacrifice him. They are the onset romance that Fimmel is teasing him about. There is another interview where Floki grabs George and kisses him the same way. Those big boys have a lot of affection for little Athelstan.

There is speculation about Winnick (Lagertha) being a lesbian. I get more of a gay vibe from her than from Fimmel. I have a feeling that he goes any which way and has a freak side a mile wide. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 120May 4, 2014 1:53 AM

Katheryn Winnick and India Dupre attend a lot of functions together and are often photographed arm in arm. Dupre was married in 2007 though. I don't know how to post links on here or I would.

Winnick has played a lesbian in a couple of movies, never had a named boyfriend and is a tough girl. I don't know if that adds up to anything, but I would like to believe it.

by Anonymousreply 121May 4, 2014 2:00 AM

Finally got to see the finale last night -- it was delayed in being available on demand for some reason.

Liked how things wrapped up, mostly. Did Floki always intend to double cross the king, or was it a late change of heart? And apparently Siggi did go through with her murderous tasks? Conniving bitch, that one.

by Anonymousreply 122May 10, 2014 8:42 AM

Trailer for the new season is intriguing.

Yes, I'll have a little Priest, thank you.

Coming next month, finally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 3, 2015 11:45 PM

Yaaaaaaaaay!!!!

Oh goodness, Travis Fimmel, George Blagden, Clive Standen, and Alexander Ludwig give me such a raging boner!

I [italic]need[/italic] my Viking-man fix. Thank you, R123!

by Anonymousreply 124January 4, 2015 1:45 AM

Good news - the show is continuing the love story of Ragnar and Athelstan. Within the first 15 minutes of the S3 premiere, Ragnar seeks out the monk, takes his hand (running his finger down the palm and almost intertwining their fingers) and says "wherever you go, I will follow".

These guys are hot - almost as good together as Agron and Nasir from Spartacus.

by Anonymousreply 125February 21, 2015 12:35 AM

[quote]Winnick has played a lesbian in a couple of movies, never had a named boyfriend and is a tough girl. I don't know if that adds up to anything, but I would like to believe it.

That makes 2 of us. God she is so hot. Doubt it though, the universe is not that kind.

by Anonymousreply 126February 21, 2015 1:31 AM

I'm watching the first episode of the new season now, on DVR.

by Anonymousreply 127February 21, 2015 2:28 AM

Great episode, though I wish they started the season with a two-hour episode. It's been a while since the show was on, and a longer episode would have helped me get in to it.

by Anonymousreply 128February 21, 2015 3:09 AM

R121 and R126 - the L Chat had someone post a recording of Kathryn's voicemail in order to substantiate their story of fucking her with a strap-on. This person claims to be a member of the industry and posts about other celebs from time to time as well.

by Anonymousreply 129February 21, 2015 3:21 AM

Re: whether Kathryn Winnick is a lesbian - I saw a recent photograph of her on Pinterest in which an engagement/wedding ring combo was clearly visible on her hand. Of course, she could be married to anyone, but the point is, she is attached.

by Anonymousreply 130February 21, 2015 6:19 AM

I will be watching with laser eyes for the delicious UST between Ragnar and Athelstan. This show is offering some great stealth subtext and doing a fine job of keeping the shippers happy; the hand caressing in this weeks episode was an eye opener and hopefully just a taste of what will be in store for the rest of this season.

I can't wait for the showdown between King Ecbert and Ragnar, as these guys fight for the hand of the fair Athelstan. There is no way that Rags is gonna let his monk go back with that smarmy king.

by Anonymousreply 131February 21, 2015 6:08 PM

Yes, the homoerotic stuff was wonderful ( and I love the little monk working as an interpreter).

Also impressive in the season opener: tremendously stirring location shots. Has the production budget gone way up? It kind of looks it.

Meanwhile, Ragnar's child with the crippled legs has more to do than cry before this is over, right?

by Anonymousreply 132February 21, 2015 8:22 PM

Acccckk. That amputation was brutal. Why did they let Torsten sit around for days with his infected arm putrefying? Is it the Viking way to ignore an injured comrade and leave it up to Odin? That sucks.

by Anonymousreply 133February 28, 2015 12:17 AM

My DVR cut off a few minutes before the episode ended - right when the hooded stranger came up to Helga and asked for help. Can someone please tell me what happened next.

by Anonymousreply 134February 28, 2015 12:27 AM

R134, that was a dream. One of the other fraus dreamed it was Althalstan, with the hand wound from his crucifixion.

by Anonymousreply 135February 28, 2015 2:39 AM

During the episode, the women of Kattegatt reported having the same dreams, but it seemed like at the end, the stranger actually appeared in the village.

by Anonymousreply 136February 28, 2015 12:47 PM

R132, there is a famous Viking conqueror of England (not Ragnar's son in real life, totally unrelated) known as "somebody, the boneless", I forget his name. He was carried around on his shield. It is not known what his nickname meant, either a battle wound, or birth defect, or a sexually reference, it is unknown. That must be who this baby is.

This show compresses hundreds of years of Viking history into one or two generations of the same family, so it's not good history.

by Anonymousreply 137February 28, 2015 12:47 PM

R137, isn't Ivarr the Boneless supposed to be one of Ragnar's sons, IRL and on the TV show?

Potential SPOILERS follow:

According to the sagas he invades Britain with the Great Heathen Army and gives King Aelle the blood eagle treatment because King Aelle threw his father Ragnar in a snake-pit.

by Anonymousreply 138February 28, 2015 1:50 PM

I concede to my more knowledgeable friend. R138.

by Anonymousreply 139February 28, 2015 8:13 PM

I do dislike the way Ragnar speaks, it's not quite "soft spoken" but perhaps artificially soft-spoken. He adult son has the same speaking voice. Is it perhaps simply the way Sweedish (or whatever they are) men speak English?

by Anonymousreply 140March 1, 2015 1:03 AM

I love how King Ecbert flirted shamelessly with Lagertha in front of Athelstan to make Athelstan jealous. And Athelstan knew it, too. The king misses his little monk. I bet there were some wild times had in the king's hot tub.

But of course, Athelstan's true love is Ragnar.

by Anonymousreply 141March 1, 2015 1:39 AM

I really tried to watch this but, fuck, the almost non-stop violence is just too much. I'm no pearl-clutching Mary and I love Game of Thrones and Walking Dead but the Vikings really seem to relish killing and needless violence.

by Anonymousreply 142March 1, 2015 1:44 AM

Clive Standen as Rollo is the stand-out to me. I wouldn't mind being his sex slave.

by Anonymousreply 143March 3, 2015 11:06 AM

It's like Game of Thrones and the Tudors without the entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 144March 3, 2015 11:21 AM

Fimmel inhabits the role. He IS Ragnar.

And his ravishing crystalline eyes are to die for. It's hard to think of any other actor with such electrifying eyes. Not Steven McQueen, not Paul Newman, Fimmels eyes are on another level.

I do miss Ragnar's long hair in Season 3. At least he's got that yummy beard. I love his battered middle aged face. He never did anything for me as a youth.

by Anonymousreply 145March 3, 2015 11:55 AM

The Vikings seem to be the trailer trash of the Dark Ages.

by Anonymousreply 146March 3, 2015 12:13 PM

R143, you can be, once he's finished with me.

by Anonymousreply 147March 3, 2015 3:08 PM

Good description R146. If they'd remained unchanged up til now they, indeed, would be living in trailers wearing wife beaters and brawling with each other.

by Anonymousreply 148March 3, 2015 3:21 PM

R145 - I agree about Fimmel's eyes. They're so piercing and intense that I often have trouble focusing on anyone else on the TV screen.

The monk has a more gentle look but I like him too.

Rollo is a big masculine guy. Larger than life and quite beautiful.

Yes, there's a lot of blood and gore but the Vikings were feared for the ferocity in battle so the bloody scenes are part of their history.

by Anonymousreply 149March 3, 2015 3:23 PM

Ragnar's eyes are mesmerizing!

by Anonymousreply 150March 3, 2015 8:02 PM

What? No appreciation for the display of Athelstan skin in the last episode. I thought he had great abs and looked quite nice wet and towel clad. Hope he doesn't move any further with Princess Hot Pants.

I cackled when Ragnar told Floki to "shut your face". Not something I would expect to come out of the mouth of a tough Viking king.

by Anonymousreply 151March 7, 2015 9:11 PM

I have a question for DL. Is Travis Fimmel a good actor? I have been told that I have terrible taste so I want to know what the people of DL think.

by Anonymousreply 152March 7, 2015 9:20 PM

R152, I've read reviews of Fimmel's earlier work that weren't positive, but his portrayal of Ragnar is generally well-regarded.

by Anonymousreply 153March 8, 2015 3:01 PM

King Ecbert couldn't keep his hands off Athelstan and is distraught that he's going back with Ragnar. He loves that monk.

Floki is really stuck on not accepting the Christian religion, to the point that he's resenting the others who are more open. Wonder if it'll turn nasty.

Goodbye Siggy.

by Anonymousreply 154March 13, 2015 6:14 AM

Is anyone else disappointed with how the season is progressing so far?

by Anonymousreply 155March 13, 2015 9:50 AM

I was a little disappointed in the first two episodes this season, r155, but having just watched the third, I am loving it more than ever.

I really am getting the clash of cultures theme, and the discomfort of Egbert and anger of his knights at the sacrifice to Frey on Lagertha's settlement was well done. Her asking the Norse god to use his "phallus" to enrich the land was something new on TV.

Also: Athelstan in and out of the Roman bath, and Ragnar Using his hot pagan head to knock down the wuss rival English prince before saying with a wry look, "I forgive you."

Good stuff.

And on to episode 4

by Anonymousreply 156March 15, 2015 5:14 PM

All hell will break lose, right ? Ragnar just lost his heart, I think.

The desperate declaration of love was not just there for the bromance factor. Athelstan was really important for him, the only one he trusted, maybe his last link to sanity. And now, he has lost that.

The eulogy was touching as well. The certainty they would never meet again, despite believing in an afterlife was sad.

Didn't enjoy how they made Athelstan a bit dumb in this last episode. That character deserved better. At least he showed Ragnar that he was still loyal to him and loved him, even if no one else in the village got that.

by Anonymousreply 157March 31, 2015 3:06 AM

Up to S3 Ep 6 and priest is showing skin, but then...

I hate Floki.

by Anonymousreply 158March 31, 2015 5:25 AM

They killed sweet Athelstan. The scene where Ragnar tells Athelstan that he loves him was the highlight of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 159April 1, 2015 1:30 AM

For a moment there, I thought Ragnar himself might have assaulted Athelstan if the latter really wanted to leave him.

But no, the little monk, for all his religious fancies, remains loyal. The Ragnar actor (Travis F.) was really convincing in his heartfelt need to have someone steady and reliable to trust and love in his life.

We already got in season 2 that he loved him. It was shown but not said. Rather sublte. Now they said it ! And killed the object of his love...

by Anonymousreply 160April 1, 2015 2:40 AM

I really hate Floki now, too. I have to wonder what Ragnar has in store for him. Like the Lannisters, Ragnar always pays his debts. I don't know why they had to kill Althelstan. He already said he was leaving them. Of course, if he went back to the Brits, the king's son would've killed him for fucking his wife, holy man or not.

Historic accuracy is pretty decent in this series. The Vikings really did invade Paris. There really was an Athelstan, and Alfred really was the first king of England as a united kingdom.

They've changed a few things, like letting Ragnar live to do all these things and killing off Horik. I hated him so I didn't care. I wonder what Lagertha will do to regain her earldom, and what will happen when they entire clan finds out their colony was slaughtered by Eckbert. I miss Siggy.

by Anonymousreply 161April 1, 2015 2:51 AM

Wasn't it made to look as if Ragnar put Floki up to killing Athlestan?

I also don't understand why Ragnar killed the guy who told him that the King massacred the village in Wessex. Are we going to find out that Ragnar had a secret deal with the King that included turning his back on his own people?

I don't understand both deaths.

by Anonymousreply 162April 1, 2015 3:46 AM

I didn't get the impression that Ragnar was in on Athelstan's death at all.

I think Ragnar killed the old guy before the disaster became widely known to avoid a big wave of sentiment for retribution on the English when sacking Paris seems to be his next objective.

by Anonymousreply 163April 1, 2015 3:56 AM

ATHELSTAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

Oh please, Lord. Let him do a Lazarus in Episode 7!

by Anonymousreply 164April 1, 2015 5:31 AM

I love Travis - he puts his heart into this role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 1, 2015 10:41 PM

I think when Ragnar witnessed the way Athelstan was being shunned, with Ragnar's brother showing everyone Athelstan wasn't wearing his special bracelet, Ragnar saw the sentiment against Athelstan had hardened.

Floki did a good job of turning all of them against him. They were already predisposed to be suspicious and resentful of Athelstan, but they respected Ragnar's friendship with him.

As Ragnar observed them, he realized his own hold on power was fragile. They no longer feared him and therefore he couldn't protect Athelstan, so he kind of let it happen. He knew it was sort of inevitable.

The same was true with the farmer. He couldn't let that guy live and tell his story. Ragnar needs the invasion of Paris to succeed. He wants everyone's attention on that, so he can regain his hold.

The farmer's tale would be disruptive and distracting, and ultimately threatening to his authority. Right now, IMO his leadership is threatened. He has something up his sleeve. It's really getting good.

by Anonymousreply 166April 2, 2015 1:21 AM

Athelstan ramped up the Christianity quotient just as his loyalties were being questioned by Floki, so maybe Ragnar did see that resistance was futile.

His own love for Athelstan persists, however, as seen by his putting Athelstan's crucifix around his neck.

by Anonymousreply 167April 2, 2015 2:51 AM

Floki's just a jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 168April 2, 2015 7:14 AM

Floki was acting very odd in the preview I saw of tonight's episode. They're preparing to invade Paris. I think Ragnar's going to kill Floki. I have a feeling. I hope so.

Ragnar's fallen out with his current wife, too. He found out she cheated on him with that stranger while Siggie was watching the kids. Oh. It was Floki's wife who told on her.

by Anonymousreply 169April 2, 2015 11:46 PM

Remember The Seer told Ragnar that Paris would be taken by dead men. Does that mean Floki and Kalf will lead the assault? Will Ragnar give them the "honor" of leading the way?

by Anonymousreply 170April 3, 2015 12:27 AM

Why did Ragnar let Floki sit in as head of the Paris invasion plans? He basically put him in charge for the discussion, and Floki got all flustered and clammed up. Then Floki jumped up and tried to fly out of the tent.

I didn't understand what was supposed to be happening in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 171April 3, 2015 5:49 PM

R171 : Ragnar might be playing with Floki as a vengence and a prelude to Floki's demise.

You can't expect him to be happy about F killing Athelstan, and let bygones be bygones can you ?

by Anonymousreply 172April 3, 2015 6:49 PM

Good episode.

by Anonymousreply 173April 4, 2015 1:38 AM

Haven't seen 7 yet but I just had to check in after finally catching up through episode 3.6--

Beautiful Athelstan, beautiful episode...fucking gorgeous setting for the burial.

Ragnar declaring his love, later putting the crucifix around his neck. We had so much more to talk about. Your god won't let me see you in heaven.

That's good stuff, as much as I will miss the sexy conflicted monk.

by Anonymousreply 174April 4, 2015 11:26 PM

Where Ragnar buried Athelstan was where A said The Lord's Prayer and Ragnar repeated it, more or less.

by Anonymousreply 175April 4, 2015 11:33 PM

Ep 6: "Paris:

So, did the Vikings invent those scaffolds for battle?

by Anonymousreply 176April 5, 2015 5:55 AM

Oh no! Why is my beloved Ragnar spitting up blood?!

Will those nasty frogs beat his army of Viking studs?

Will I come to him in a vision to ease his sorrows, rub balm on his wounds, and fill him with a hot load of hope and strength?

by Anonymousreply 177April 10, 2015 4:03 AM

Man, I thought Rollo and Bjorn were dead; Rollo sunk beneath the water and Bjorn had 2 arrows in him. Then when they had a scene where Lagetha comes into the tent to see her son, there was this weird soft focus to the shot, which had all 4 members of Ragnar's family. I thought maybe it was some kind of Viking death vision where everyone was reunited in the afterlife. I was happy that they're actually alive.

Floki has lost it. One good thing... Athelstan returns as a vision/ghost. If he doesn't drive Floki to suicide, I hope he and Ragnsr have a sweet and touching scene (with kissing).

by Anonymousreply 178April 10, 2015 12:53 PM

So... did I get this right ?

Ragnar was obsessed with the Paris invasion, up to the point that he did murder a surviving settler so he wouldn,t spill the beans about Wessex massacre and distract from the new project.

BUT, he partly sabotages it by letting inefficient Floki lead -and having a lot of vikiings, among them memebers of his family, being wounded and killed - just to get back at Floki.

Wow!

I liked his comment : "Don't fear your gods. Instead fear the fury of a patient man". But, wasn't that cutting your nose to spite your face.

I hope he has an "Athelstan hallucination" at some point.

I also thought Floki would begin to understand that he waqs wron to kill Athelstan, that this sacrifice didn't help them win, that, maybe, there are NO gods... But no, he is an integrist and he is already too far in his folly.

by Anonymousreply 179April 11, 2015 5:55 PM

Ragnar seems more interested in learning and seeing new places than in conquering and fighting.

I hope Lagertha stomps Kalf's ass.

Bjorn really looked dead there for awhile. Based on where those crossbow bolts appeared to be, he looked like he could've had one if not two hemopneumothoraces (blood/air in the chest cavity). If Bjorn is nicknamed Ironsides, the Ragnar should be Ironman; he's tough. He walks around urinating blood and coughing up blood, yet ignores or subdues the pain so that he can try to communicate with his departed soul-mate, Athelstan, who meant more to Ragnar than anyone else in Ragnar's life (as we suspected, yet it's only now being shown to the audience). It's a shame their relationship wasn't developed more and shown to the viewers more, that could've been a very interesting storyline: gay viking and priest in the late 700s-early 800s.

by Anonymousreply 180April 11, 2015 10:29 PM

Gutted that Athelstan was killed off. But the up side is the actor George Blagden has got the lead in a huge new series on Versailles. He's playing Louis XIV. Apparently he'll have lots of "torrid" sex scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 15, 2015 4:34 PM

R181 - Just when Ragnar and Athelstan's relationship was getting really intense, Athelstan the Man is killed off. The only consolation I have is that George Blagden will be playing luscious and lustful Louis at Versailles. Oh, the costumes, the decadence will be a feast!

by Anonymousreply 182April 15, 2015 5:02 PM

They sure seem to have a Ragnar peeing theme going on this season.

by Anonymousreply 183April 17, 2015 2:04 AM

Ragnar forsook French riches and said his wish is to be baptized so when he dies he'll go to heaven and see his friend again. If that ain't love...

by Anonymousreply 184April 17, 2015 4:00 AM

R183, it is not a peeing thing. Ragnar is pissing blood.

by Anonymousreply 185April 17, 2015 12:13 PM

I love the irony that when the Pagan "finally" converts to Christianism it is out of love for another man ...

This has to be conflicting for the faithfuls.

by Anonymousreply 186April 17, 2015 8:24 PM

I'm on the side of the French. Something I never thought I'd think. I'm just watching the most recent episode now, on my DVR, so I don't know how it ends yet. It's probably not good for a series when the audience roots for the opposing side,

by Anonymousreply 187April 17, 2015 10:21 PM

R186, I'm sure Pope Ignorance VI's head would explode.

by Anonymousreply 188April 17, 2015 11:23 PM

Well, I was shocked. Ragnar gets baptized? I was hoping Floki would get hacked to death, but with the finale coming up he's still walking around all crazy, blaming everything on Athelstan.

I can't root for the French. That French king and queen get on my last nerve. I feel really sorry for the Count who has to do all the fighting. He ought to kill them.

Linus Roache has been a revelation as King Eckbert. What a sleazy, conniving bastard. Alfred does grow up to be King of England. Not a spoiler.

Ragnar said he was dying, but maybe he won't? I'd hate to see Travis go. He really was good on this show. I did do some reading up in Wiki, and according to history, Ragnar's brother, Rollo really is important. Of course so is Ragnar's disabled son, Ivar the Boneless. Bjorn, too.

by Anonymousreply 189April 18, 2015 4:23 AM

Really Ragnar is dying? Pissing blood means kidney problems...yeah gonna die soon.

by Anonymousreply 190April 18, 2015 4:26 AM

Hmm, wonder if I should start watching this. Is there real gay action in it or is it all just fanfic stuff?

by Anonymousreply 191April 18, 2015 4:38 AM

R190, if he's pissing blood it means his kidneys are still working. He seemed to be pissing a lot. Blood in your urine can heal. His coughing up blood may be worse.

He's supposed to die in King Aella's snake pit in England. At least historically. So I am assuming he goes back to avenge Ecbert's massacre of the Viking settlers.

by Anonymousreply 192April 18, 2015 5:21 AM

[quote] Ragnar forsook French riches

No. He said it wasn't enough and in addition he wanted this intangible, i.e., the baptism.

Ragnar may have sincerely wanted the baptism but he'll probably tell his people it's a ruse to get into the city, maybe via the Christian you-know-whats.

by Anonymousreply 193April 18, 2015 5:26 AM

Moe Dunford; what a cutie bear!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 18, 2015 8:13 AM

They seem to have jumbled things together in this story line, so maybe he won't get dropped in King Aella's snakepit. Although it could still happen. It really doesn't look like Ragnar will recover. Did Travis give any interviews about next season?

His conversion to Christianity was certainly for Athelstan, but it was also a message to Floki. If I were Floki, I'd be terrified right now. Someone is going to kill him.I don't think he's going to die the honorable Viking death, in battle with a sword in his hand.

The fact is, the Norsemen did invade France & England and who knows where else, and who the fuck do you think settled Normandy?

by Anonymousreply 195April 18, 2015 12:10 PM

R191 : It is there, not only in the slashers' wishful, feverish imagination, but it is mostly implied.

You don't get to see any "action". Powerful, understated looks. There is a real declaration of love in season 3. But, we already had understood Ragnar and AThelstan loved each other. Their arc was well developped.

Mind you, the series deliver on showing shirtless hunks. You get eye candy.

Season 1 and 2 are interesting (after a slow start). Season 3 is a bit disappointg for me, yet, I'm still wtching. It is well done.

by Anonymousreply 196April 18, 2015 3:06 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197April 18, 2015 8:30 PM

R196, thanks for the info. Great that there's at least some kind of deeper emotional connection between the guys. I'll probably watch the show at some point. Seasons are thankfully fairly short so it won't take a year to go through all of them.

by Anonymousreply 198April 19, 2015 6:06 AM

I'm impressed with this series and I hadn't planned to be. I started watching it on a whim, about a year ago, so I'm all caught up and now I look forward to it. It's very well done. I wonder how long they intend to keep it going. There are certainly enough storylines even without Ragnar.

by Anonymousreply 199April 19, 2015 1:19 PM

How come no one ever talks about my Bad Bitch Laegurtha? She is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 200April 19, 2015 4:02 PM

R200 you know the drill...useless without photos...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201April 19, 2015 4:13 PM

Ragnar and Athelstan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202April 19, 2015 4:14 PM

Bonus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203April 19, 2015 4:15 PM

I hope this works.

Extended scene frome S3 Ep1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 19, 2015 4:20 PM

And a pic proving that Floki doesn't hate Athelstan in real life ... scroll down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 19, 2015 4:20 PM

R203, that's cute, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 206April 19, 2015 4:22 PM

r203 Thanks... adorable and hot as hell

by Anonymousreply 207April 19, 2015 4:44 PM

Damn. I thought the comments about Ragnar & Athelstan being hot for each other, was just typical DL ravings, as we are wont to do, but I never saw the extended scene. If that wasn't a declaration by Ragnar I don't know what is.

by Anonymousreply 208April 19, 2015 6:24 PM

And then, there is a real declaration : "You can't leave me. I love you!" in ep 6, R208.

To which Athelboy answers : "It doesn't matter where I want to go. It,s where you want to go." And looks at him with eyes that silently mean : "I love you too. I will follow you."

*** SPOILERS **** Then, Ahtelstan gets killed. But Ragnar keeps on talking to him. :-(

by Anonymousreply 209April 19, 2015 9:06 PM

I know. That was so sad. When Ragnar carried his body up to the top of that hill, and sat next to it and spoke to him.

I want to see the hateful deranged Floki die a miserable horrible death.

I wonder what Rollo, Bjorn, and Lagurtha think or what they'll do now they've seen Ragnar baptized.

Rollo has a very big life ahead of him, BTW. Historical fact, not spoiler. I wonder if this series will continue so they can show us what happens to them all.

by Anonymousreply 210April 19, 2015 11:31 PM

Tonight is the season finale. I want Floki to die, not Ragnar! Maybe someone will cure him.

by Anonymousreply 211April 24, 2015 1:37 AM

Well, what an ending. Rollo will fulfill his destiny that much is historically accurate. I was glad Ragnar looked Floki in the eye and said, "You killed Athalstan." Not a question, but a statement of fact. Look forward to Season 4. I'm hooked.

by Anonymousreply 212April 24, 2015 3:31 AM

I was a bit let down by the cliffhanger ending but it had it's good and bad points: Ragnar still weak and seemingly near death; Rollo left in Paris and promised a princess; Bjorn stepping up and being a BAMF; the Norsemen finally taking Paris. At least Ragnar is still drawing breath and it looks like Floki knows he has a target on his back. Revenge for Athelstan!

Lord, it's gonna feel like forever until the show comes back.

by Anonymousreply 213April 26, 2015 5:59 PM

Can't wait for season four. Bumping as a test

by Anonymousreply 214September 19, 2015 8:34 PM

When does season 4 start?

by Anonymousreply 215September 19, 2015 9:04 PM

I don't think Vikings starts until January. Hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure we have a wait on our hands.

by Anonymousreply 216September 19, 2015 10:25 PM

Glad i found this show. Really enjoyed it when it wasn't too gory.

I would wait until about 1am a few hours after it aired when the History channel would upload it to its site and watch it there. Yes, i am liking Rollo and his story as well.

by Anonymousreply 217September 20, 2015 1:32 AM

I am disappointed in knowing that they've condensed all the interesting Viking history that ever happened to anybody, and assigned it to one generation of one family. It isn't historical at all. Yes, I'm very disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 218September 20, 2015 3:46 AM

Well, thanks for nothing, R218. I thought you were bringing us a new trailer for the next season.

by Anonymousreply 219November 3, 2015 9:28 PM

You're welcome, R219.

by Anonymousreply 220November 4, 2015 12:40 AM

R218, it is pretty accurate. I mean Ragnar was real, his sons were real, the witches and prophesies were recorded, the invasion and siege of Paris was real, and Rollo moving on to ascend heights of his own is real. There are obviously details, and mashing characters together, or inventing a new character for purposes of dramatic license to advance the narrative, but I'm fine with it. There are definitely deviations from the true story. People who should be dead aren't dead. People who should still be alive aren't. People who should have won a battle didn't. So what? the broader strokes are still there, the bones of historical fact. The Vikings raided, plundered, raped, and settle parts of the British Isles and Europe for many years. Shit happened. I especially like the way they depict everyday life and the rules and customs. I had no idea women were afforded so much independence. I also like the way they determine who their leader will be or how they deliver justice and maintain social order.

by Anonymousreply 221November 4, 2015 12:51 AM

All I can say is they better start telling us when The Vikings new season starts, because I get my Game of Thrones fix by watching it since Game of Thrones starts after it ends. They're saying that this year Game of Thrones may not premiere until May. So I need my Vikings fix.

by Anonymousreply 222November 4, 2015 12:53 AM

When does the new Vikings season start?

by Anonymousreply 223November 4, 2015 12:58 AM

[quote]When does the new Vikings season start?

Wouldn't you like to know! Hee hee hipp hipp hipp yaaaaaaah!

The gods will say when they are good and ready! Heee!

by Anonymousreply 224November 8, 2015 4:10 PM

Did Floki die yet? I keep thinking he finally got done in for his treachery.

by Anonymousreply 225November 9, 2015 12:35 AM

Oh, man, I just hate Floki! I just hate him!

by Anonymousreply 226November 9, 2015 1:02 AM

S4 starts Feb 18

by Anonymousreply 227December 21, 2015 7:24 AM

Thank you, R227! I'm looking forward to it!

by Anonymousreply 228December 21, 2015 1:53 PM

Lordy, Ragnar, Rollo, and Kalf's ginormous cock and ass (which he might get to see after Slagertha binds him up and pulls down his britches?) are back. And look, someone has tied up little Alexander Ludwig and left him in a loincloth. Someone please bring me my smelling salts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229December 22, 2015 3:15 PM

Why doesn't every scripted drama make more use of a well-placed loincloth scene?

by Anonymousreply 230December 28, 2015 4:51 PM

I find it irritating that these directors can rip off a woman's clothes in a heartbeat and we see everything, but with the male characters we get titillated with a fucking loincloth. That's insulting. With all the special effects techniques, and CGI, they can digitally enhance a guy's genitalia. I mean none of the actors needs to feel embarrassed about the size of their dick. They can "fix" it in the editing room. I want to see the glory of Alexander Ludwig, not the teaser version.

by Anonymousreply 231December 30, 2015 12:16 PM

I am watching everything again to get ready for the new season. I hate Flokie and the way he is overacted.

Also, the choice of having them speak in accented English is bizarre, distracting and , every bit as silly as the Nazi accents in WW II movies. used to connote when the characters were speaking German. Not all of the characters use the hard "t" s but when they do, it sounds so silly. Wasn't Rose Nyland available as a dialolgue coach?

by Anonymousreply 232January 1, 2016 11:02 PM

Is Athelstan narrating the S4 trailer?

In any event, it looks pretty damn good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233January 20, 2016 10:26 PM

I am so pissed they killed off Athelstan, the interaction between him and Ragnar was the most interesting thing for me, if they were going to kill someone off I wouldn't have missed Floki one bit.

by Anonymousreply 234January 20, 2016 11:00 PM

The new season starts tonight, folks. Who will be watching?

I like the show very much, so much male eye candy (Fimmel, Standin, Ludwig, etc.) The only downside is the loss of the dynamic between Ragnar and Athelstan.

by Anonymousreply 235February 18, 2016 8:20 PM

OMG, If I hadn't had seen this thread I would have totally forgotten about the new season starting tonight and I even have it marked on my calendar, and over looked it. Thanks for bumping this thread.

by Anonymousreply 236February 19, 2016 12:28 AM

I am there! Definitely will be watching. I miss Athelstan too.

Is Floki already dead or will he die soon?

by Anonymousreply 237February 19, 2016 12:32 AM

History Channel is showing the last few shows from last season right now.

by Anonymousreply 238February 19, 2016 12:43 AM

I have to watch Scandal first. I have to see Scott Foley and Cornelius Smith

by Anonymousreply 239February 19, 2016 12:53 AM

Lordy. In my head, I'm making up very torrid daddy-son porn featuring Travis Fimmel and Alexander Ludwig.

With Kalf getting spit-roasted by them as an intermission.

by Anonymousreply 240February 19, 2016 2:16 AM

Ben Robson (L) and Alexander Ludwig

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241February 19, 2016 2:48 AM

I think I have a new favorite Viking Kalf played by Ben Robson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242February 19, 2016 3:02 AM

Fuck, R241. Just fuck.

That's a very happy, sated fuck, by the way. :-)

by Anonymousreply 243February 19, 2016 3:06 AM

George Blagdon aka Athelstan...still hot in his new series, Versailles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244February 19, 2016 3:09 AM

Kalf Ben Robson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245February 19, 2016 3:12 AM

Yeah, Ben Robson will do just fine. Damn. I was cringing when Lagurtha cut off the other guy's dick. Ugh.

OK. So there's treachery in the air at Ragnar's house. His wife acts like she wants hm gone. Wasn't real happy about him waking up.I thought Ragnar and Bjorn were close because of the way he trusted Bjorn and they plotted thefinal assault on Paris together.

I looked it up and there really was a Rollo and went over to the French.This series could ho on for a long time with all the fucking sons and Kalf, etc.

Previews for next week look like Floki is finally going to die a painful death at Ragnar's hand. I think Ragnar was glad Bjorn arrested Floki, he just refused to admit it because he looked weak. I'd keep an eye on Floki's wife she looks unstable.

by Anonymousreply 246February 19, 2016 3:43 AM

Clive Standen needs to drench me in his cum. His body is SICK.

by Anonymousreply 247February 19, 2016 3:59 AM

I hope the Wanderer returns. His scene with Aslaug was hot.

by Anonymousreply 248February 19, 2016 4:24 AM

Great premiere.

I hope season 4 of my other favorite cable series, Orphan Black, starts off as well in April.

The hate/lust of the French princess bride!

by Anonymousreply 249February 19, 2016 3:42 PM

I asked this on the "Vikings season 4" thread because I didn't realize that this one was alive.

Can anyone answer: What happened to Floki's daughter that Ragnar and Floki's wife buried? The last time I saw her she looked fine. Was she killed by her mother as a sacrifice to the gods? Any opinions?

by Anonymousreply 250February 27, 2016 2:04 PM

I think Floki's wife feared a DNA test would reveal she had been unfaithful to her crazy fundamentalist husband

by Anonymousreply 251February 27, 2016 2:10 PM

R250, it was not revealed how Floki's daughter died.

by Anonymousreply 252February 27, 2016 2:20 PM

Take look at the scene where Floki is wearing nothing but a little loin cloth....lordy, he has one big piece of meat !!!

by Anonymousreply 253February 27, 2016 2:24 PM

R253 - that scene where Floki was tied up in a cave was quite similar to a crucifixation. I may have to read up on Viking torture methods.

I think Floki's wife killed her daughter. She was acting very strange at the burial. She seemed to be in another world - detached. Most mothers would be very emotional burying their child. It was weird.

by Anonymousreply 254February 27, 2016 2:56 PM

R248 - I read someone that The Wanderer does return this season so stay tuned.

by Anonymousreply 255February 27, 2016 3:01 PM

Ragnar beating his wife was hard to watch. Bitch asked for it but still. Rollo is a delight. Lucky French princess!

by Anonymousreply 256February 27, 2016 5:46 PM

^ I read SOMEWHERE...

by Anonymousreply 257February 27, 2016 5:53 PM

Whatever country they film in is fascinating - all those hills and valleys filled with boulders with white patches. While Floki was running for his life, I was drinking in the scenery and wondering what geological event what caused those rocks to be everywhere... prehistoric volcano, meteor strike, ocean movement.

by Anonymousreply 258February 27, 2016 7:26 PM

R258 - Vikings is filmed largely in Ireland. I recognized some of those rocky locations. While on a trip to Ireland, I remember almost feeling like I was transported to another place and time. The landscape has a mystical, ethereal, otherwordly quality about it. I also found the scenery quite melancholy when I thought about all of the bloodshed and suffering that occurred on its soil. The sorrowful history of the place was so palpable that it was almost like the stones were talking to me. I'm of Irish heritage so I was very moved from the experience. I'll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 259February 27, 2016 7:50 PM

R254, Floki's story for that episode including the punishment is taken from Viking legend/history. Supposedly almost exactly escept instead of water dripping on his head it was the poison venom of a serpent.

by Anonymousreply 260February 29, 2016 6:37 AM

[quote] Floki's story for that episode including the punishment is taken from Viking legend/history. Supposedly almost exactly escept instead of water dripping on his head it was the poison venom of a serpent.

Well, they would have gotten that right if they weren't filming Ireland, maybe.

St. Patrick did his snake-expulsion work well!

by Anonymousreply 261March 2, 2016 9:37 PM

Bumping for posterity and for a season off to,a great start of HOTNESS

by Anonymousreply 262March 5, 2016 11:09 PM

The daughter got sick with fever.That's how she died. Floki's wife mentioned it in a very terse response to Ragnar's question about the kid. Go back & check.

I like Bjorn. He's doing his version of The Revenant. I'm very confused about who Lagurtha was sleeping with and who was sending someone to assassinate Bjorn. Id it the same guy? Is he sleeping with Bjorn's Momma while he sends some lunatic out there to kill Bjorn or is it hisbrother who's schemeing?Or did he already kill his brother? Help!

History teaches us: The English King Egbert of Wessex and Ragnar are still dreaming of Athelstan. With his fine ass. In real life, little Alfred , (who is secretly Athelstan's kid, )will reign as king of England, uniting all the country under one head, driving out the Vikings, mostly Danes. He is in fact regarded as the first king of England and he has a grandson named Athelstan who also becomes King of England. We're talking about the late 700's, 800's & 900's. Dark Ages. Our Athelstan will be a saint. Rollo is very successful in his French interlude. All this is according to history. That little kid, Prince Magnus and his mother the queen of Mercia were rescued, I think Magnus does not survive to be a king, and Mercia is crushed.

by Anonymousreply 263March 6, 2016 12:28 AM

It's Kalf and yes he's professing love to Lagertha even as he participates in the attempted murder of her son. Hey that's how these Vikings go about things.

Actually Alfred only drives them out of the south and south western part of England. The Vikings will populate the Danelaw for some time.

by Anonymousreply 264March 6, 2016 12:43 AM

Youre right R264. I think they mixed with the Welsh didn't they.

by Anonymousreply 265March 6, 2016 12:45 AM

The Danelaw didn't extend to Wales. Wales was bordered by English Mercia.

by Anonymousreply 266March 6, 2016 1:02 AM

This season is losing me, too many plot lines, in too many locations that seem to have very little to to do with each other. Really miss the interaction between Athelstan and Ragnar.

by Anonymousreply 267March 6, 2016 2:58 AM

[quote]too many plot lines, in too many locations that seem to have very little to to do with each other.

And this kind of thinking is what separates the small-time princes from the Empire Builders, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 268March 6, 2016 9:08 PM

Yes too many story lines in different countries.

by Anonymousreply 269March 7, 2016 11:02 AM

WTF are you talking about? You have Ragnar holding the fort back home while Bjorn does his Revenant thing. You have Lagertha in a neighboring clan, taking over her abusive dead husbands tribe, and ducking her dead husband's relative, the man who wants to kill her son. You have Rollo at the French court, and you have Egbert the King of Wessex and his intrigues.

So really three main locations. Viking land, France and England. In England two things are happening: Wessex is trying to take over & unify the country, subduing Mercia, while battling Vikings or co-opting them. In Vikingland, Ragnar knows he is getting old and was weakened by his injuries, and he is trying to hold on to power for his kids, and yet feels a very natural rivalry with his eldest, Bjorn. He's got to worry whether Bjorn will stay loyal to him or go over to Lagaertha if the situation arises.

There's political intrigue in all there main story locations among the players in each place. It's really not so hard to keep up with. I'm just curious to know of Egbert's son knows his wife is fucking his father, and that Alfred is Athelstans son? Rollo's storyline is pretty historically accurate.

by Anonymousreply 270March 7, 2016 1:35 PM

I really wanted to see Ragnar pull out his fat Viking cock and savage that little Chinese girl with the "broad shoulders."

And will Ragnar grow an instant boner when he sees Not Athelstan, the new monk, for the first time?

by Anonymousreply 271March 18, 2016 2:37 AM

Damn, Lagertha! That was REALLY HOT DICK YOU TOSSED ASIDE!

by Anonymousreply 272March 18, 2016 3:01 AM

Jonathan Rhys -Meyers will join the show next year.

by Anonymousreply 273March 18, 2016 3:04 AM

Has Jonathan sobered up, or will he be playing a perpetually drunk Wessexman?

by Anonymousreply 274March 18, 2016 3:09 AM

Kalf: one FINE & HUNG piece of ass

by Anonymousreply 275March 18, 2016 3:14 AM

Alas, Kalf. You shoulda used someone else's ring.

by Anonymousreply 276March 18, 2016 3:40 AM

My girl, Lageartha, Shield Maiden! Bad Ass!

by Anonymousreply 277March 18, 2016 3:41 AM

Not sure how JRM is going to cope with a 20 episode shoot when he couldn't stay sober for the 10 episode seasons of the Tudors and Dracula. He did carry those shows as the star so perhaps being just a part of a big ensemble cast will help. It probably also mitigates the risks for the producers. It's hard to believe the same team who worked with him on the Tudors would work with him again. He went through multiple rehabs and airport incidents during the 4 years the Tudors was in production.

by Anonymousreply 278March 18, 2016 4:01 AM

I think Fimmel's character will die this season.

by Anonymousreply 279March 18, 2016 7:52 AM

Huw Parmenter, the stud playing Roland, the Frankish mistress's brother, cleans up very nicely. He has a sexy furry body and beautiful dark eyes. I hope they showcase more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 18, 2016 11:24 AM

Another shot of Huw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 18, 2016 11:26 AM

Huw & Alexander Ludwig

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282March 18, 2016 11:26 AM

Sexy Frankish Huw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283March 18, 2016 11:29 AM

Thanks,R280. He's hot.

Travis Fimmel's Ragnar is getting more and more bizarre. He's addicted to opium courtesy of his Chinese mistress, and he wanders around acting strange and physically weak. But I think he is very cunning. I wouldn't turn my back on him. I don't think Floki is safe yet. By the way, I looked up the new Vikings who showed up. There definitely were two King Haralds and they converted to Christianity. Of course Ragnar's sons also succeed so I wonder where all this is going. They can definitely run this series for the next three or four years and not run out of material. signing Jonathan Rhys Myers is an interesting move. Obviously he will be part of the English storyline. Will he be Alfred as an adult? Rollo's storyline is getting interesting too.

I started watching Vikings as a fill in until Game of Thrones started, but now I'm hooked. They play with historical facts and timelines, but the broader vision is pretty authentic.

by Anonymousreply 284March 18, 2016 12:15 PM

Wow - the French queen has man-face in R283's picture.

by Anonymousreply 285March 18, 2016 3:59 PM

I understand that they don't want Ragnar to outright rape Yidu - they want to keep him as a likable character but they gotta stop with all the soft-core porn scenes with them. Okay, they want Yidu to make the first move so Ragnar is not the bad guy, but get stop stretching it out!

by Anonymousreply 286March 18, 2016 4:22 PM

I'm glad to hear they're already planning for another season. I'm liking Vikings as much or more this year than the first season, which was something amazing and different for cable.

by Anonymousreply 287March 18, 2016 4:37 PM

The little "boneless" prince splitting another kid's head open with an axe on the playground was one of the strangest, most brutal scenes ever. And yet it makes perfect sense, given his tutoring by Floki and the destiny his mother wants for the boy.

Also, Lagertha--the Bride Wore Red!!

by Anonymousreply 288March 21, 2016 1:12 AM

The showrunners didn't plan well this new season well. It sounded like a good thing that the show had increased the number of episodes per season, but they don't seem to have enough story to fill the space. The episodes seem to draaag now, just to fill out the hour and to stretch the sparse story line out for the rest of the season.

I remember the hooded visitor who showed up in Kattegat last season - he appeared to Aslaug, Siggy and Helga (was it Helga?) with some prophecy, I think. Is that right? What I don't remember -did he screw Aslaug - is Ivar his son?

by Anonymousreply 289March 26, 2016 3:51 PM

I can't get past the dopey accents. Why do they have them speak English with a Swede accent? They didn't speak English obviously. So, if you change that, for clarity, have them speak it plainly.

by Anonymousreply 290March 26, 2016 4:02 PM

Why in Woden's name would Ragnar save Loki....AGAIN?!

by Anonymousreply 291April 1, 2016 2:25 AM

"Retreat!"

That was a downer. Lots of dead people. But Wanderer guys gets laid.

by Anonymousreply 292April 1, 2016 5:54 AM

So was FLoki hallucinating about fucking Aslaug or was he having a vision about her fucking the other guy? I was confused. Ragnar is a junkie. Travis does a very convincing job at portraying his addiction.

Man Rollo looked hot last night. And his French wife actually fixed herself up. I loved that she wants to meet Laegurtha! Guess she wants to be a Shield Maiden too. So Laegurtha is actually Pregnant? The guy who tried to have Bjorn killed , his days are numbered. Especially now that Bjorn offered to give him back his ring. He knows Bjorn knows so it'll come to a head.

Meanwhile Eckbert is consolidating the British Isles. His daughter-in-law's darher is not happy. Looking forward to next week.

by Anonymousreply 293April 1, 2016 11:59 AM

Speculation is that Floki is slowly turning into a seer, like that creepy eyeless guy back in Kattegat, and that he had a vision/was experiencing Aslaug and Harband screwing each other. I read where other people saying that Floki is now the reincarnation of the Norse god Loki, and is exhibiting god-like characteristics. He can "see" things.

by Anonymousreply 294April 1, 2016 4:44 PM

I think Bjorn is going to kill that guy who tried to kill him, and I think Laegurtha and Ragnar will get back together. I hope Aslaug dies.

by Anonymousreply 295April 2, 2016 12:53 PM

Never better than the last few episodes

by Anonymousreply 296April 23, 2016 6:47 PM

Wait, did Lagertha survive the battle? Don't recall seeing her afterward. She had already lost the baby in the previous ep.

by Anonymousreply 297April 23, 2016 7:01 PM

Yes, Lagertha survives. Hirst in an interview says she will still play a major role in the future.

I started watching this with Season 3 and I am hooked. I wait until the History channel website uploads the latest episode early Friday mornings and watch it.

I liked the mid-series finale. Good to see Rollo finally triumph and that he's found a happy life. The march to the Battle of Hastings begins.

by Anonymousreply 298April 23, 2016 8:29 PM

Who are you talking about R295? Bjorn's woman already used the crossbow to shoot him. Don't you recall, he told her to kill Bjorn and gave her the crossbow and then he followed her as she walked over to Bjorn in the middle of the camp. Instead, she swung the weapon around, and shot him. Bjorn went over to him as he lay dying, and put his ring on the arrow to let him know he knew he had tried to kill Bjorn weeks earlier.

by Anonymousreply 299April 24, 2016 3:35 AM

It's ridiculous that after so many seasons they still haven't portrayed gay sex. We all know it happened back then too.

by Anonymousreply 300April 24, 2016 6:04 AM

I agree. They made the French king look like a perv because he wanted a threesome, when you know he probably really only wanted the hot guy and took the girl for custom.

by Anonymousreply 301April 24, 2016 1:03 PM

R300, the French king and the brother of the woman he wanted to sleep with were shown in the same bed.

by Anonymousreply 302April 24, 2016 10:14 PM

That's my point R302. He really wanted the brother not the sister. I think Ragnar was in love with Athelstan. I think he loved him in both the carnal and the spiritual way. There's also something about Floki that makes me think at least part of his problem with Ragnar is unrequited love. He seems jealous of anyone Ragnar loves except Laegurtha. There's Gay subtext in every story line except the English. At least that I can see.

by Anonymousreply 303April 24, 2016 10:48 PM

R301, you're absolutely right that there hasn't been much, if any, gay sex/relationships. It did seem like Ragnar developed feelings for Athelstan, and it would have been interesting to see that explored.

Apparently the European viewers get more explicit scenes than the U.S. viewers. I remember someone posting a still photo of Ragnar in bed beside Aslaug, who was also beside Lagertha. Ragnar had a big grin on his face. This supposedly aired in Europe. Whether this actually happened, or was part of a dream sequence, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 304April 27, 2016 2:08 AM

Ok, found it^^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305April 27, 2016 2:13 AM

Ragnar offered Athelstane a threesome with Legartha when he first enslaved him.

by Anonymousreply 306April 27, 2016 2:27 AM

Ragnar wanted to fuck Athelstan. He was in love with him. As far as real love goes, I think Ragnar loved Laegurtha & Athelstan more than anyone. Then Bjorn & Rollo and the rest of his kids. He never loved that Aslaug witch. I think he lusted after her or he was doing it for ego.

by Anonymousreply 307April 27, 2016 3:07 AM

R306, Ragnar asked Athelstan again about a threesome. I believe it wasn't shown in the US but in other territories. When it aired in the States I think the scene only starts with Ragnar stroking Athelstan's hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308April 27, 2016 3:23 AM

Like the emperor, I wanted the brother and not the sister.

by Anonymousreply 309April 27, 2016 3:03 PM

Astrid! You tramp!

by Anonymousreply 310January 13, 2017 4:51 PM

Ivar the Boneless, son of Ragnar. Psycho Killer, Qu'est-ce que c'est?!

Thanks for reviving the original thread, r310. The episodes this season have been as good as anything before, even if we all, including his hot daddies, wish Athelstan had not been killed off too soon

The scenes in Muslim Spain last week were gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 311January 13, 2017 5:13 PM

I think Vikings is the best show on television. Even with Ragnar gone, the story lines between his sons and Lagertha (and that tramp Astrid) are just as interesting as any of the Ragnar story lines.

by Anonymousreply 312January 13, 2017 5:59 PM

There has been reporting that Travis Fimmel will be back for season 5...so does that mean Ragnar survived being dumped into a pit of snakes, or will it be flashbacks? If the latter, I hope they bring Athelstan back, too.

The series has been a big hit worldwide, more in Europe than the US, maybe. I hope History and European networks can form more partnerships for more scripted dramas like this. Something really exploring the Crusades, with multiple points of view, would be terrific and enlightening.

by Anonymousreply 313January 16, 2017 6:44 PM

They kept showing the opening in the snake pit so often I half expected Ragnar to come climbing out. As far as real history goes, that king did in fact kill Ragnar, although in some accounts it was rumored that he threw him in a wolf pit not a snake pit. So who knows. I have a feeling that Eckbert's daughter-in-law secreted him out of the pit and he hovers between life and death yet again in some secluded hiding place. I think Eckbert even knows about it, may have even planned it. He wants to get rid of King Aelle and he may want the Vikings to do it for him. The thing is, Ragnar wanted to die. He insisted Eckbert kill him and Eckbert refused, but sent him to Aelle who he knew would do it. But Eckbert is a cunning old guy and not the fool he played at in the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 314January 16, 2017 7:27 PM

Nope, Ragnar is definitely dead. His ghost appeared to Laegertha, and Odin's spirit visited each of Ragnar's sons.

by Anonymousreply 315January 16, 2017 8:48 PM

I cheated and looked up which sons did what, historically, allegedly.

Still fascinating because of the tension. And Bjorn makes me hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 16, 2017 11:31 PM

Bjorn is definitely hot. I like the way he sort of moves with quiet, menacing authority, while his brothers run around like assholes. The guy who plays Ifar could be hot if he wasn't psycho, and crawling around all the time. The guy who made him a chariot ought to know how to build a wheel chair.

by Anonymousreply 317January 17, 2017 1:23 PM

I meant "the guy who plays "Ivar..."

by Anonymousreply 318January 17, 2017 1:24 PM

The actor playing Bjorn is not just hot but very talented. I like the way as he ages he becomes more like Ragnar, including his speech patterns. Ivar the Boneless Psychpath is one of the scariest characters I can remember (earlier season, when he was just a kid who sadly could not walk: bashes in the skull of a child who he felt wronged by, mother approves).

When this show finally ends I will miss it a lot. And probably rewatched from the beginning. If it were on Netflix or Showtime, it probably would have some Emmys by now.

by Anonymousreply 319January 17, 2017 11:05 PM

I am SO ready for tonight's episode! !!!

by Anonymousreply 320January 18, 2017 8:55 PM

They better not fuck with Laegurtha.

by Anonymousreply 321January 18, 2017 8:58 PM

Gruesome episode tonight. The Blood Eagle makes its debut!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 19, 2017 4:02 AM

Ew, they flayed the fat king! And Bjorn is fucking his mother's girlfriend!

by Anonymousreply 323January 19, 2017 4:51 AM

This was the show's second blood eagle.

by Anonymousreply 324January 19, 2017 12:23 PM

Man I could not watch. I had to cover my eyes. They sliced open his back and yanked out his lungs and his heart, then gave him his "wings" and hung him up. Yes, Ragnar did it to some other Earl who betrayed him a couple of seasons ago. This one, last night, was way more graphic, I think.

The thing that remained unanswered is where is Ragnar's body? In a way I felt sorry for Aethelwulf last night. His father is a rotten son of a bitch. I bet Eckbert knows where Ragnar is.

by Anonymousreply 325January 19, 2017 12:25 PM

Seemed like Lagertha knew about Astrid and Bjorn. Perhaps all along. I fear Astrid will receive a brutal consequence. And Bjorn? The last person who fucked her partner - (Ragnar's wife #2)... yeah, Lagertha waited YEARS to shoot her in the back as she walked away and Lagertha seemed to enjoy it. Will she go after Bjorn?

by Anonymousreply 326January 19, 2017 1:45 PM

Damn, season 4 has been good! Only one more episode and then a probably long wait to the fall for season 5.

I almost feel bad for the Saxons.

by Anonymousreply 327January 28, 2017 7:49 PM

I don't think Laegurtha will do anything to her own son. She might do something to Astrid at some point. It's not jealousy as much as it might be betrayal. Because if Astrid would go behind her back for a man, she might do it for other things. or not.

by Anonymousreply 328January 28, 2017 8:07 PM

Clive Standen (Rolf, though the show calls him, incorrectly, Rollo--the Scandinavian name was originally Hrolfr, later Rolf, and Rollo is just a Latin version of it) has a small role in some movie about English schoolboys. Tom Brown's Schooldays, I think. He's incredibly handsome without all that Viking facial hair and screwy hairdo.

Somewhere or other I heard that he's always urging his directors to give him shirtless scenes. He's a proud hunk.

by Anonymousreply 329January 29, 2017 10:10 AM

Haven't seen the season finale yet...

Do we know what Jonathan Rhys Meyers's role will be in the final season? Grownup son of Athelstan, maybe? I predict killer vengeful bitch turned peacemaker ultimately

by Anonymousreply 330February 3, 2017 10:28 PM

Usually I can't give a care about straight couples on TV, and on the whole am unmoved by the plight of characters that proudly rape, pillage & murder as a lifestyle, but even with that mindset I am hopelessly charmed by Bjorn/Torvi (sp?). They are both so pure in their love, and deserve eternal happiness together.

Apart from them, I only root for the English. Ecbert is fantastically louche, he's like a Blackadder character.

by Anonymousreply 331February 5, 2017 10:52 PM

I love how Floki never has to do any physical labor in the camp or during sieges, just because he's genius caliber (like a quantum leap ahead of everyone intellectually except maybe Ragnar) and because he's too twitchy and insane to be any help. Recently Lagertha was shown hauling lumber and doing backbreaking work not a day after miscarriage, and at the same time Floki just stood around gesticulating,

How do I get a job like that?

by Anonymousreply 332February 7, 2017 9:06 AM

[quote] Do we know what Jonathan Rhys Meyers's role will be in the final season? Grownup son of Athelstan, maybe? I predict killer vengeful bitch turned peacemaker ultimately

I was greatly confused also, so I went to Vikings IMDb page and they list Meyer's role as Bishop Heahmund.

from Wikipedia "Heahmund (played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers appears in the TV series Vikings as a warrior priest who stood against the heathen army led by Ivar the boneless."

by Anonymousreply 333February 7, 2017 12:04 PM

Well, that was a great hour of television, there.

The sword that the Bishop has, have we seen that before? I still think he may be Athelstan's son.

by Anonymousreply 334February 10, 2017 10:02 PM

For the Jonathan Rhys Meyers's role to be a grown up Athelstan's son the show would have to jump ahead about 20 years, I just don't see that happening, it would age out most of the shows current characters or make them extremely old. Plus Vikings IMDb page list the Jonathan Rhys Meyers's role and Athelstan's son role as completely different characters for the last episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335February 11, 2017 1:30 AM

I'm a history n00b so someone enlighten me - is the Vikings version of child Alfred (the Great, that we see go to Rome) the same Alfred as the grown king of Wessex in THE LAST KINGDOM (a Netflix series based on novels by Bernard Cornwall)? Because I love that version of Alfred (played by the excellent stage actor David Dawson), and it would be cool to think the same character features in both series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336February 11, 2017 2:43 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 337February 11, 2017 3:11 PM

There's gonna be a second series of Last Kingdom, I'm so hype!

by Anonymousreply 338February 25, 2017 12:22 PM

Is Amazon the only place to watch entire show streaming? I signed up for the History app and it only has a couple episodes....

by Anonymousreply 339February 25, 2017 12:45 PM

R339 see if this answers your question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340February 25, 2017 2:30 PM

I know the series is an international success, but I don't understand why History seems to downplay, or even practically shun it. They hardly promote it during the season. They run marathons of their reality shit all the time, but Vikings is rarely rerun. Is it because they pay only for limited showings? Or are they embarrassed that they cant seem to win with other scripted dramas?

by Anonymousreply 341February 25, 2017 9:49 PM

They likely don't need to promote it, R341, people seek it out. It's doing very, very well all on its own, so perhaps THC are focusing their energies on building their other programming behind the scenes.

Also, syndicating it isn't always the best route forward if you want to retain all control over production and so on. It seems strange in today's mercantile world but perhaps the channel actually care about the show and want to keep it in the family, so to speak. That's the idealistic answer. It could also be true that they prefer to keep viewers dangling and idling on their app/station in the hopes of being dripfed new Vikings previews etc. It all depends on what the Powers That Be (whoever owns THC) have planned.

by Anonymousreply 342February 28, 2017 2:38 PM

Where is Ragnar's body? If he is dead in a snake pit WTF is it?You'd think his sons would want to give him a decent send off. You know the big viking ship all decorated and set on fire> As things stand we have no closure for them.

by Anonymousreply 343February 28, 2017 2:41 PM

[quote] You'd think his sons would want to give him a decent send off.

Don't most of Ragnar's sons despise him, though? Björn is the only one that definitely loves him.

Speaking of Björn Ironside, I want to make the most sweet & tender love with that boy. He's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 344March 8, 2017 9:46 AM

The latest season has been confusing me so much. Lagertha's back from the dead now?

There are also too many characters we're supposed to follow; I keep getting Ragnar's sons mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 345April 2, 2017 11:34 AM

It's so weird seeing Fimmel on 'Tarzan' on that old WB show, now he's so well-known as Ragnar Lothbrok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346April 11, 2017 1:10 PM

I know there's historical evidence of Viking women dyeing their hair and wearing makeup (as did the native Britons), but what's with all the actresses on this show being shaved and plucked smooth? Shaped brows, hairless legs....really? I understand absence-of-evidence is not evidence-of-absence, and that Viking men shaved their heads bald sometimes but it still seems farfetched to me that the cultural norm for Viking women was 'no body hair'. Can anyone weigh in?

by Anonymousreply 347April 19, 2017 1:43 PM

The White Princess has mascara on...

by Anonymousreply 348April 19, 2017 3:08 PM

Ragnar is getting killed off in a season's time, I heard. Will the next main character be Lagertha, Rollo or Bjorn?

by Anonymousreply 349April 26, 2017 12:27 PM

Its funny, but its promoted up here ad nausum on our version of the History Channel. Probably because its a Canadian co-production. Its even promoted on some of the other channels that the company who owns the Canadian history channel owns.

by Anonymousreply 350December 4, 2017 1:21 PM

Just updating the original thread to praise season five and loving the fact that Winnick is now getting top billing.

Those sons of Ragnar are some sons of bitches.

by Anonymousreply 351January 14, 2018 6:36 PM

Floki in Iceland! Ragnar's sons all separated and scheming! What ever became of our friend in France?!

by Anonymousreply 352February 3, 2018 8:40 PM

The hot air balloon was a bit much, I tell you what.

by Anonymousreply 353December 6, 2019 9:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!