Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lech Walesa, formerly important, says gays in parliament should sit in the back or even behind a wall

A national committee devoted to fighting hate speech and other crimes in Poland has filed a complaint with prosecutors in Gdansk accusing Lech Walesa of promoting a "propaganda of hate against a sexual minority", after the Nobel peace prize-winner said gay people had no right to a prominent role in politics.

Walesa said in a television interview on Friday that he believed gay people had no right to sit on the front benches in parliament and, if there at all, should sit in the back "or even behind a wall".

"They have to know that they are a minority and adjust to smaller things, and not rise to the greatest heights," he told the private broadcaster TVN during a discussion of gay rights. "A minority should not impose itself on the majority."

Walesa, Poland's first democratic-era president, is a deeply conservative Roman Catholic and a father of eight who has never advocated progressive social views. The democracy he helped create in 1989 from the turmoil of strikes and other protests has, however, been undergoing a profound social transformation in recent years.

A key symbol of the change is a new willingness to tackle gay rights, long a taboo subject. In 2011, voters elected Poland's first openly gay and first transsexual members of parliament.

Walesa is no longer active in Polish political life, though he is often interviewed and asked his opinion on current affairs, as on Friday when he was asked about his views on civil partnerships and a new public gay rights campaign. Much of his time is spent giving lectures internationally on his role in fighting communism and on issues of peace and democracy.

Jerzy Wenderlich, a deputy speaker of parliament with the Democratic Left Alliance, said: "From a human point of view his language was appalling. It was the statement of a troglodyte. Now nobody in their right mind will invite Lech Walesa as a moral authority, knowing what he said."

Some said they were not surprised by Walesa's words. "I am surprised that only now we are noticing that Walesa is not in control of what he says and that he has views that are far from being politically correct," said Adam Bielan, a conservative Polish member of the European parliament.

by Anonymousreply 2903/06/2013

Not surprised -- JPII's bitch

by Anonymousreply 103/03/2013

I thought he died years ago.

by Anonymousreply 203/03/2013

Poland owes Walesa and his compatriots a huge debt of gratitude...which it has long since paid. Younger Poles, like younger Americans, are changing the face of their country, and there's not a damn thing the dinosaurs can do to change it.

Walesa made himself a hero by standing against the communists. Now he's making himself a goat by standing for the bigots. If he had any sense, he'd be content to age in the glow of heroism unsullied by his caveman bullshit.

Too bad, Lech, you could have stayed a hero.

by Anonymousreply 303/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 403/03/2013

It should be pointed out to him that his views are consistent with those expressed popularly in Russia now. He might be more comfortable in that social climate.

by Anonymousreply 503/03/2013

Words, wit and wisdom for r5.

by Anonymousreply 603/03/2013

A walking Polish joke.

by Anonymousreply 703/03/2013

When I saw Lech Walesa, I immediately thought it was a humorous way of writing Lisa Welchel. Datalounge is ruining me.

by Anonymousreply 803/03/2013

Walesa is like Polish sausage; it's best not to see what they're made of.

by Anonymousreply 903/03/2013

That he did not shake off the grease and bigotry of the shipyards over his long ascension is sad but not surprising. He is just mouthing the extreme end of what the Church holds.

And, yes, it is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1003/03/2013

[quote]"They have to know that they are a minority and adjust to smaller things, and not rise to the greatest heights," he told the private broadcaster TVN during a discussion of gay rights. "A minority should not impose itself on the majority."

Good as you, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1103/03/2013

You know guys, he kinda has a point. Quit making waves, gay bros.

by Anonymousreply 1203/03/2013

And you sound like an insufferable cunt, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

You put the gays behind a wall and its only a matter of time until they drill a gloryhole.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

Is the irony not lost on a man who fought for the freedom of his people? WTF is wrong with these people?

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

Stupid polack.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

It has to be said:

S T E L L A!

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

[quote]WTF is wrong with these people?

Religion, specifically Catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

Ha!

Lech ridiculed.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

OK, Robert Biedron is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

[quote]You put the gays behind a wall and its only a matter of time until they drill a gloryhole.

Yes, one of the great tragedies of the Berlin Wall coming down was the loss of that gloryhole near strasse 36. Communist Guard Cock! Glory B!

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2013

R22 - joke? or serious?

by Anonymousreply 2303/04/2013

He was a tool of the CIA. Poland is often thought of as the remedial reading class of Europe always sucking up to the Americans. Walesa is an overbred shipyard boor who was catapulted into air too rarified for the likes of him. He always seemed like a clumsy oaf to me.

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

This makes me really sad. Lech Walesa was not just a political rebel leader but back then also a human rights activist.

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

Lech Walesa certainly knows how to make himself a counter-humanitarian oaf under all new circumstances, doesn't he?

He's just a small man and we all shrug as Putin cunts his way thru the masses.

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

He would fit well in the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 2703/06/2013

Again -- color me shocked that someone from a conservative Catholic country said something a conservative Catholic would say.

by Anonymousreply 2803/06/2013

And that's why I always preferred Vaclav Havel.

by Anonymousreply 2903/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.