Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When you came out as gay, did your family's religion influence their level of acceptance?

For example, even now, I can't imagine Church of Christ parents being accepting. Some Catholics are liberal, so I say you have 50/50 odds of acceptance. Episcopalians are hard to predict and I bet Methodists and reform Jews are generally supportive of their gay kids.

by Anonymousreply 403/03/2013

My very catholic family left the church. They all practice at different places of worship, but they are all inclusive.

by Anonymousreply 103/03/2013

Members of the Church of Christ are intolerant as ever.

by Anonymousreply 203/03/2013

My family is Church of Christ. I came out at 22, thirteen years ago. They are good parents, they aren't accepting of being gay but they treat my husband and me with love. We also treat them lovingly. We talk about mutually agreeable topics, not politics, not religion. Occasionally my dad will say something like, the most important thing is to go to heaven. I give him a pat on the shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 303/03/2013

My family was very Catholic and were really great when I came out. They spoke to their priest after I broke the news, and he was very supportive too. No "hate the sin, love the sinner" crap either. He basically told them someday soon it will be a non issue. I am actually named after a priest that was my parents' best friend. He died just before I was born. Now when my parents looks back, they think he was probably gay too.

They have since pretty much left the church and stopped going to mass. They couldn't take the anti-gay remarks from the vatican. They had a guest priest once, and he went on and on about gays. My parents walked out and have not yet returned. The kind priest I mentioned above has tried to get them back, but they just can't. He is a wonderful man, and I think it is safe to say he is gay himself. It's a shame, really.

I am also the godfather to my two nieces. That happened after I came out. Did the Catholic ceremony, though I do not identify as Catholic anymore. I am there to give them balance and another point of view. I never really understood the concept of religion besides the social aspect. My sister doesn't agree with the church's stance on LGBT or other topics (birth control especially). However, she is going to raise my nieces catholic until the get a bit older. Then, it's their call. I think she just feels safe giving them the same upbringing she had. She went to Catholic school while I did not.

Being that my family is/was catholic and in the south, I think their POV is a bit different. Down there, they are a minority against the right, evangelicals and arena christians. I always considered the catholic church to be a bit liberal. That has obviously changed.

by Anonymousreply 403/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.