Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A Cry In A Dark

Watched it again tonight. Horrible title, incredibly underrated movie with my favorite Meryl Streep performance. She is beyond brilliant in it. Sam Neill is heartbreaking as the husband and he also seems to have quite a large bulge lurking underneath those jeans and shorts. Mrs. Hugh Jackman can be seen in it briefly in a tiny role as a magazine reporter. Most of all it really has something important to say about the press and public's assumptions about the accused. I urge those who haven't seen it to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 1603/03/2013

A cry in the night, two lips to kiss

by Anonymousreply 103/03/2013

Horrible title and also, ungrammatical. A Cry in a Dark what?

by Anonymousreply 203/03/2013

"We're talking about my baby daughter!"

by Anonymousreply 303/03/2013

A dingo's got my careet!

by Anonymousreply 403/03/2013

[quote]A dingo's got my careet!

oh my

by Anonymousreply 503/03/2013

[quote]Horrible title

But much better than the title used in Australia and NZ, "Evil Angels".

by Anonymousreply 603/03/2013

Maybe because the title is A Cry in THE Dark.

Or did I miss the joke?

Yes, Meryl is amazing. This may really be her best work - even better than Sophie.

by Anonymousreply 703/03/2013

Yes indeed. Ahead of its time in exposing the smug way we rush to convict people and get so much out of throwing people over to the.... er, dingos, when they are accused of horrors, forgetting that they just might not be guilty. Before O.J., before Nancy Grace.

(and no I'm not suggesting O.J. was innocent, I'm simply using him as a benchmark in the history of recent criminal justice/pop culture)

by Anonymousreply 803/03/2013

A dingo raped my sister!

by Anonymousreply 903/03/2013

It's fun spotting all the Prisoner: Cell Block H actors.

by Anonymousreply 1003/03/2013

A dingo stole my election!

by Anonymousreply 1103/03/2013

I loved Prisoner cell block H! They used to show at midnight after Benny Hill in the 80's although I remember it being British for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 1203/03/2013

Meryl was on that horrid Watch What Happens Live a while back and the cross-eyed host (can't remember his name) asked her to say 'the dingo ate my baby' and she very politely refused and, basically, said there was nothing funny about it.

We could all learn alot from Meryl!

by Anonymousreply 1303/03/2013

A dinger terk mah baybay!

by Anonymousreply 1403/03/2013

R8, yes, absolutely. Meryl S herself has said that's why she so proud of that movie.

Apologies for the incorrect title. Didn't have my glasses on.

by Anonymousreply 1503/03/2013

I agree, it is Meryl's very best work.

Her finely crafted accent (Aussie/Kiwi hybrid, based on the speech patterns of the actual Lindy Chamberlain) is often misunderstood and ridiculed for not being 'real Australian'. Good! It means she did her homework.

Regardless of the accent, it's her finest piece of acting, ever.

Oh, and 'Evil Angels' is a horrid title. So trashy. I don't care if it's based on a line in the Bible. For this film, it doesn't work.

'A Cry in the Dark' sums up the film perfectly.

That's all!

by Anonymousreply 1603/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.