Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oscar feminists should have voted for Jessica Chastain

She played the kind of role women should aspire to...Jennifer Lawrence just played the girlfriend and AnnE Hathaway the victim.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013

Most of the voters are old, white and male. Go figure!

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

Really, if Reeva had one no one would have any backlash right now. I'm a Jessica Chastain Stan but I honestly think its time Naomi Watts wins an Oscar. She's been the biggest star of my dreams for so long

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

r2=Nicole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

I haven't seen ZERO DARK THIRTY, but judging by the Oscar clip of Chastain, she was awfully hammy. Why vote for her simply because of what her character represents?

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

HAVE YOU SEEN HOW HOT NAOMI WATTS LOOKED THIS AWARD SEASON?????

Fuck me now

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

The tiny percentage feminists on the Oscar committee probably voted to Riva.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

77% of the voters are male. There probably are no feminist voters.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

I'm a big Chastain fan but:

1. it wasn't the best performance (Riva's was)

2. the movie's undertones and its depiction of torture didn't sit all that well with a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence just played the girlfriend

Not at all, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

R8 they were def going for feel good this yeas overall because they passed over How to Survive a Plague and The Invisible War for Searching for Sugarman.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

Lawrence was a male fantasy figure so it is not surprising men voted for her. She's a horny nymphomaniac in love and pursuing a violent out of work loser. Man love that stuff. It is like all the critics who thought Sideways was brilliant because it had a fat crabby writer who had a beautiful blonde fall for him.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

As mentioned the Oscar voting panel is 77% male and like 94% white. Many are over 50 years old. This explains the massive sexism in the Oscars and Hollywood. Hollywood is a mans world.

This also explains why the average age of female Oscar winners is significantly lower than the average male winner. Straight men rule(and to a lesser extent gay men)

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

[quote]This also explains why the average age of female Oscar winners is significantly lower than the average male winner.

plus women stop getting hired after a certain age.

The gap is so huge though. I was looking at wikipedia and only 3 men have ever won an acting Oscar under 30 whereas most of the female winners seemed under 30. (anyone have an actual number or statistic)

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

R13, According to the Huffington post article linked below:

[quote]Women have a much narrower age interval in which they are likely to win an Oscar. Only about one-quarter of the female recipients are older than 39, about two-thirds of the male winners are 40 or older.

by Anonymousreply 1403/03/2013

Feminism does not equate with thinking that one's favorite performance is the one by a woman playing the most independent character.

by Anonymousreply 1503/03/2013

Of course not, [r15], but "She's a horny nymphomaniac in love and pursuing a violent out of work loser. Man love that stuff. It is like all the critics who thought Sideways was brilliant because it had a fat crabby writer who had a beautiful blonde fall for him."

[r11] hit the nail on the head. Marry me!

by Anonymousreply 1603/03/2013

Perhaps people who kneejerk criticize Lawrence's win based on her character from a jaundiced lens of sexual politics might consider what criticism might have met a Chastain win from a similarly rancorous political view.

That it would represent a triumph of jingoism and a projection on how we all want to torture those we see as a threat.

Both views are equally dumb.

Both performances were good.

Riva's was better.

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2013

Jennifer Lawerence gave a better performance, though.

That's not to criticize Chastain, who I LOVE, but Lawerence just had a better written role with more moments to shine.

Emmanuelle Riva gave the best performance of the year, though. But Lawerence was a close second followed by Watts.

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013

OP, that would be a reason for a feminist to vote for a screenplay, not a performance. Actors don't write the words they say.

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2013

It's funny because Lawrence was WAY too young for her role. A bitter, divorced, cynical women in her 20s? She also looked much too young for Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2013

r20, who would you have cast instead of Lawrence? (Not trying to troll, just genuinely curious.)

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2013

Not R20, but someone like Claire Danes would be great in that role.

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

I would love to see Jessica Chastain win an Oscar. Naomi Watts, too. Mostly, what I'd love is for the Oscars to be less a coronation in most categories and more of an actual contest. But there we are.

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2013

[quote]. A bitter, divorced, cynical women in her 20s?

Have you even seen the movie? Sorry, that doesn't describe the character at all. Okay, maybe cynical. But bitter and divorced, definitely not.

I thought she and Cooper had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.