Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2013

Hi Oprah! I see you posted this from your iPad Mini...

by Anonymousreply 103/03/2013

iPads don't use IE.

by Anonymousreply 203/03/2013

Where is OP located? Tajikistan? Some other place where they still hang onto that quaint little operating system?

by Anonymousreply 303/03/2013

Internet Explorer is not an operating system, it is an internet browser.

by Anonymousreply 403/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 503/03/2013

It is a terrific browser, tooo

by Anonymousreply 603/03/2013

Going from IE9 to IE10 is like upgrading from a Zune to a Sony Walkman.

by Anonymousreply 703/03/2013

Not really. Zune (at least second-generation ones onward) were actually very good devices. They just had an unjustified bad reputation. The sound quality was actually superior to the iPod Classic (and so was the UI and PC software). But because the first gen were silly looking (and brown), they'll forever be the butt of jokes from those who actually don't know what they're talking about, but just parrot what they've heard because they want to be "cool".

That said, IE10 is a vast improvement over previous IE browsers. Very fast (faster than Chrome in many respects), better UI than Chrome (certainly more customizable), excellent tab-handling, and standards compliance.

There's no shame in using IE any more. Except to those stuck in the past.

by Anonymousreply 803/03/2013

Until I can get decent add-ons like with Firefox, I have zero interest in IE10.

by Anonymousreply 903/03/2013

I use FF. I bought a new D-link router, which somehow added all the crap to FF. Pages have ads all over them, and the default search engine, care of D-link, is Yahoo. I don't know how to undo what it did. The router itself is awesome, though. Maybe I'll just switch to Chrome.

by Anonymousreply 1103/03/2013

r11, you probably missed an option not to install those extras when you setup the device. I would do a system restore to go back and start fresh.

I dont think Ill ever stop using Firefox. I dont have to watch a single ad online anymore and downloadhelper is a dream.

by Anonymousreply 1203/03/2013

If you're using any version of Windows, you should upgrade to at least Windows 7.

If you're using any version of IE, you should upgrade to IE10 (which requires Windows 7 or 8).

if you're using XP, Vista, IE6, IE7, IE8, or IE9... just stop. Please, for the love of god, it's 2013 now, stop clinging to the old and broken past.

by Anonymousreply 1303/03/2013

Girls - what difference does this all really make if your choice of browsers meets your needs? I am always amazed at people who get their self-esteem from the order in which the ones and zeros in their life are arranged!

by Anonymousreply 1403/03/2013

I just bought a laptop with XP so I'll have a backup when my current one dies. At work I use Windows 7, and I really prefer XP. It's simpler and more intuitive to use. I don't know why anyone uses IE. Why use a browser that doesn't let you block ads?

by Anonymousreply 1503/03/2013

Vista plus the three service packs = Window 7

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2013

Get lost. R1

Sent From My iPad Mini

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013

[quote]At work I use Windows 7, and I really prefer XP.

Anyone who prefers XP to Win7 has issues... they're either really stupid, or really incapable of learning anything new.

Windows 7 is superior to XP in every possible way.

You realize new apps won't run on XP, and XP support is being completely dropped this year, right? You realize it's horribly insecure, far less stable, and far less functional, right? New hardware isn't supported on it?

Why the hell would anyone use XP over Windows 7?!?

Stop holding everyone else back, and stop holding YOURSELF back.

XP needs to be abandoned to the ash-heap of history, along with IE6/7/8.

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2013

IE10 is still a ZUNE.

Get with Chrome the Android of the browsers.

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2013

R20, you're sorta right... IE10 is unfairly maligned even though it's superior in many ways.

I've tried to use Chrome. It sucks. It really does. The UI is horrible. Especially the tab handling and utter lack of customization.

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2013

How small does one's penis have to be in order for their entire identity to be wrapped up in what OS or browser they use?

Get off the computer and have some sex, already.

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

I have IE9 on Windows 7; how come IE10 doesn't show up in the Windows Update list? Do you have to install it manually?

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2013

Wow - Windows Troll is all over this thread (8, 10, 13 etc), defending his precious operating system/browser

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013

R19 needs to unclench.

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2013

r21, I'm another Chrome hater because of the interface. I try all the main browsers when they get major updates, but so far no one's beaten Firefox for the customizations I want. If you browse the internet like a grandma who's new to it and don't care about features that make it more convenient and useful, then Chrome is fine I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2013

[quote]Stop holding everyone else back, and stop holding YOURSELF back.

You're unhinged, r19 etc. How is his using XP holding "everyone else" back? You make no sense. Let him use what he likes, stop being a Windows sycophant/bully.

by Anonymousreply 2703/03/2013

r19 clearly doesn't use his computer for anything serious, otherwise he'd know how horribly the Win 7 Start Menu compares to the "classic" menu that was still available in XP. The list of programs that was once instantly accessible in cascading form across the full screen is now confined to a little box with scroll bars.

Other things about Win 7 are nice and improved, but not the start menu.

by Anonymousreply 2803/03/2013

Friends don't let friends use Windows.

Friends urge friends to use Progresso soup cans.

by Anonymousreply 2903/03/2013

R28 Then you're REALLY gonna hate Windows 8.

by Anonymousreply 3003/03/2013

[quote]I have IE9 on Windows 7; how come IE10 doesn't show up in the Windows Update list? Do you have to install it manually?

It's available for download now. You can go download it at the link if you want it now.

It's not being pushed out to everyone immediately. It will start rolling out via Windows Update over the next couple of months.

This is primarily to give time to corporations who don't want automatic updating to put in place "blocks" to keep it from appearing. Some corporations are very strict about update policies and what browsers they support.

by Anonymousreply 3103/03/2013

I wonder if R19 aka The Windows Troll's bosses over at MS in Austin know what a nasty, shitty representative they have working for them. I'm tempted to forward copies of these threads to them so they can see what an unhinged, abusive asshole he is. I cannot think of a poorer representative for their product.

by Anonymousreply 3203/03/2013

[quote]R19 clearly doesn't use his computer for anything serious, otherwise he'd know how horribly the Win 7 Start Menu compares to the "classic" menu that was still available in XP.

Quite the opposite. The Windows 7 start menu is vastly superior. And I use half a dozen computers (two with multiple monitors), doing software development as well as tons of other things (office, image editing, browsing, gaming, etc). I rarely have fewer than a dozen windows (and a dozen browser tabs) open at once. I'd say I use my computer for far more "serious" things than you do.

You do know about start-menu search, right? And pinning things to the start menu? And "jump lists" on the task bar? And recent documents? There are a ton of great features in the Win7 start menu that just don't exist in the XP start menu.

The cascading menus of XP were a usability nightmare. And you had to constantly "micro-manage" those menus, moving things around, deleting things, organizing things. Not so in Windows 7. It's just there, it just works, even if you have a hundred apps, or a thousand.

The fact that you clearly don't understand how to use the Windows 7 start menu, does not mean the XP start menu is better. It's clearly and obviously inferior.

by Anonymousreply 3303/03/2013

R32, I respond to ridicules bullshit with all the politeness it deserves.

I also do not now and have never worked for Microsoft. That you think I do is just... weird.

All I'm doing is pointing out the facts to people woefully bereft of them.

I do my best to help people who seriously want it or need it. But trolls and haters and liars get exactly the level of respect from me that they've earned and deserve.

by Anonymousreply 3403/03/2013

Please do, r32!

This troll has been working DLs last nerve for a few years now. I wish he would get a new site to monitor.

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2013

Sorry, "ridiculous". But I'm sure haters and idiots who see "shills" behind any informative or helpful post will use that typo as some sort of proof they're right about... whatever grand conspiracy theory they've cooked up next about me. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2013

R35 loves to expose himself as an idiot.

I'm sorry being corrected or having me help other people with their issues "works your last nerve" (interesting you think you can speak for the entirety of the DL)... but you're the one with the issues here.

If you don't like these threads, don't click into them. It's really very simple.

If you want to irrationally and erroneously bash Windows or Microsoft without ever being called on your B.S., well sorry, the world doesn't work that way.

I hit Conservatives and Republicans and their bullshit just as hard, even though I'm not a "paid operative" of any democratic or liberal organization.

I'd love to know just what you think you (or anyone else) is going to "report", and to who. Seriously. I laugh at your constant attempts to dismiss anything I have to say by claiming I'm some sort of paid shill. You're beyond ridiculously stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2013

Why, you hurt my feelings, r37.

NOW I really hate you.

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2013

I'll wear it as a badge of honor, R38. Like Rush Limbaugh hating me.

Now, can we get back on topic, or do the trolls insist on derailing every thread like this (not started by me, I might add) into attacks on me?

Because you aren't hurting my feelings at all.

Back on topic: IE10 really is a decent browser. Much better than IE9, which was vastly superior to IE8 (IE6 and IE7 always sucked). It's possible to stop avoiding IE now, because it's that good. We finally have a legitimate three way race in the browser field. And competition is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2013

[quote]You do know about start-menu search, right?

You mean having to do the equivalent of googling the program you're looking for rather than clicking the link that was right in front of you in XP?

If you want to pointlessly take your hand off the mouse, put it on the keyboard, type in your program name, press enter, then click on the search result (when you could have just clicked once without taking your hand off the mouse in XP) then fine.

But you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2013

No, I mean typing the first few characters and then being able to just press enter... rather than having to laboriously search through a ton of cascading menus that disappear the moment you move your mouse even a pixel outside of them. Being able to keep your hands on the keyboard and launching the app you want, fast.

The most used apps are pinned to the task bar (one click away). The less frequently used apps can be pinned to the start menu (two clicks away). Things you don't use often can be found in the search menu the same way as in XP (just click on the menus to drill down, rather than chasing fly-out menus around), or by a simple search by just typing.

Example, bring up the command window by pressing the Windows key, typing "cmd", and pressing enter. Super-fast, super-efficient.

You realize the start menu comes up by tapping the windows key, right? So you never even have to take your hands off the keyboard if you don't want to.

It's becoming clear I'm not the 'idiot' here.

Don't blame the tool because you don't understand how to use it.

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2013

[bold]Internet Explorer 10 now available for Windows 7 users[/bold]

Developers have had early access to Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for a few months now, but Microsoft is making the final release available to consumers and businesses today. Available in 95 languages, Windows 7 users will be auto upgraded to IE10 in the coming weeks, with the initial push targeted at IE10 Release Preview users.

Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 includes improved JavaScript performance, and a focus on battery life improvements for mobile PCs. Although Internet Explorer 10 has been available on Windows 8 since October 26th, Microsoft opted for a delayed Windows 7 schedule to ensure the release was fully ready, a decision that drew some criticism from users waiting on an updated browser.

Windows 7 users will now get integrated spell checking and auto-correct within IE10, as well as improved support for web standards like the latest CSS3 improvements. The user interface in IE10 for Windows 7 is largely the same as IE9, so users won't get the fullscreen experience that's available in Windows 8. Nevertheless, Internet Explorer 10 is now available to download for Windows 7.

by Anonymousreply 4203/03/2013

^^ The Verge website is in the tank for Microsoft.

I'm sure they'll claim they're not, but FOXNews also says it's "fair and balanced. "

Use at your own risk.

by Anonymousreply 4303/03/2013

No R40 you obviously don't know how to use the start menu: why would you feel the need to use the mouse to click the name of the program when your hand has been off the mouse all along? Oh and did you know that you don't have to minimize a window and then right-click on the taskbar to maximize the other window to multi-task? Boy, isn't that crazy what technology allows you to do nowadays? What next? Alt-Tabbing accross the windows? Windows-tabbing in 3D! Sheesh Kebab...

by Anonymousreply 4403/03/2013

[quote][bold]just stop. Please, for the love of god,[/bold]

No Bitch! YOU just stop, you insufferable prig!

Is there ANY thread where you don't go in and start issuing orders and demands?

It's time to stop your constant vomit of nastiness. One hit on trolldar and your bile fills up every damn thread that's been on the front page all weekend.

Your comment at R41, "It's becoming clear I'm not the 'idiot' here" is miles from the truth. You're a Jackass Supreme. Just stop!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4503/03/2013

R45, you should look in the mirror next time you go off like that

by Anonymousreply 4603/03/2013

Whenever I'm dancing on a Saturday night at the coolest club in NYC, I ALWAYS ask a potential trick if they are a top or bottom, do they have good drugs, and do they use IE 10.

by Anonymousreply 4703/03/2013

These Microsoft excuse makers are nuts. I agree, the "you must search for your programs" *feature* is not as convenient as the earlier cascading design that allowed everything to be visible. The search box is great for other things, but having all your programs visually accessible was a good thing they should not have taken away.

by Anonymousreply 4803/03/2013

The only difference yet that I've noticed from IE9 to 10 is the changes in the general tab of Internet Options.

I prefer Windows 7 over XP on most things. However, there is one big drawback. Cookies and specifically video files that are viewed on the internet are not saved in the Temporary Internet Files folder. I can't simply drag the file from that folder into another folder to save in Win 7. Why did they change that?

by Anonymousreply 4903/03/2013

R48, if you don't know the name, and want to visually search for it, it works the same in Win7 as it does in XP *except* instead of trying to chase around fly-out menus all over the screen, you just drill into the folders in the menu. It's much cleaner, and just as easy to "browse" and find things visually... and you don't have the problem where if you're three menus down (and three pop-up fly-out menus out), and your mouse moves a pixel too far... you have to start all over because all those fly-out menus just disappeared.

Really, the people saying that XP's start menu is better than Win7's clearly just have never bothered to actually use Win7's start menu.

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!