Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joan Rivers is underappreciated.

Rivers isn't perfect, but she has endured decades in showbiz and has retained her humor and wit. I can't think of anyone else alive today with a comparable career.

by Anonymousreply 5503/11/2013

Is Pol Pot still around?

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

I don't "underappreciate" her, I "unappreciate" her. I wish I never had to see her again.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

I agree, she was a pioneer and she doesn't get the respect she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

Underappreciated? Has she found a cure for any diseases or been any kind of activist or done anything to make a difference in the world?

Please. She's an entertainer. They're a dime a dozen.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

I would say humor makes a difference in the world.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

I don't appreciate Republican assholes who spew garbage like Democrats hating America, and anyone who doesn't vote Republican is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

[quote]I would say humor makes a difference in the world.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

I think she is exactly as appreciated as she ever needs to be or deserves to be.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

I love Joan. She's funny, high energy and works hard. The recent fat jokes about Adele were cruel and unnecessary, but I'll forgive Joan for an occasional slip-up.

For years, she has been at the top of her game. And she still is.

Loved her on The Tonight Show years ago. She was better than Carson. Love her on Fashion Police now.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride, to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us how Joan River's humor has made a difference in the world.

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows. No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity!

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

I love her, people have become such pussies - can't joke about fat people, can't joke about gay people, can't joke about race, can't joke about sex, can't blah blah blah.

People need to grow the fuck up. Lisa Lampanelli tells controversial jokes all the time and no one even shrugs. So does Chris Rock.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

Joan Rivers and dignity in the same post.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

I love her but her career is ending very sadly with the Adele joke and the Nazi joke. She definitely seemed to be unreeling on Letterman. Maybe first stages of dementia?

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

OP, I think you need to look up the word underappreciated.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

Underappreciated in terms of what OP? Too much silly putty around the eyes? I think in terms of her being entertaining she's OK I guess, I never got more than a chuckle out of her jokes--her latest one that is causing all the ruckus merely needs to be ignored--she's just an entertainer after all, not some judicious statesman weighty with gravitas. I did like her jokes about women in Wyoming being unsophisticated types who wore socks with high heels--she told those years ago and I admit I still laugh at them.

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2013

When you only can get attention by making vile jokes about other people your career is certainly going down the drain and your jokes seem to stem from the gutter of a bad personality.

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2013

If she's underappreciated, she's doing her damndest to be recognized. She's still telling the same jokes she did thirty years ago. It made you laugh in 1979? She'll try again....and again....and again.

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2013

She is very good in a show setting with other people around like on Fashion Police, Joan Knows Best or being interviewed. The people around her soften her edge. Her stand up comedy however is stale. She comes off as mean and dated when she is on the stage alone.

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2013

She's still making Clinton jokes like they're still in the White House. She makes fun of how ugly Chelsea was as a kid. This was only two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

She started out wanting to be a serious/real actress and then succeeded in comedy.

She was a credible and praised replacement for Linda Lavin in Broadway Bound. A few years later for a short running play she was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Actress in a play for portraying Lenny Bruce's mother

The documentary A Piece of Work shows her laboring over an autobiographical solo show in England and getting bruised over the tepid reviews and abandoning it. She should have had the courage and boldness to bring it to New York to just see what would have happened.

She seems to seek solace in the easy bucks.

She is a great talent who TRIED and is appreciated but show business is tough.

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2013

She wrote a play that closed on Broadway after opening night in the 1960's. And a movie she wrote and directed, Rabbit Test (starring Billy Crystal) flopped.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013

Underappreciated, underrated, overrated = people don't regard something EXACTLY the way I do.

There's plenty of appreciation for Rivers, and, of course, she has her detractors.

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2013

And now she's a theater critic, too!

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2013

As a teenager ten million years ago I veered away from Joan Rivers because it was clear to me she hated herself and therefore others.

I appreciate how hard she works. She can be very funny. But there is an anger and a neediness in her presentaton that I find overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 2703/03/2013

I adore her. I saw her live in Memphis, TN, in the 90s and held up a sign, "Michael Landon go to Hell!" That was right after she got into some kind of snit with him. I can't ever remember what it was about. Anyway, she saw my sign and told me to come up on stage and let her kiss me, and I did! We were at the Memphis Shell on Mud Island and she told me I smelled good and that I was hot! She asked me if I was married and I said, "Joan, there are no hot men who smell good here who are married, and if there are, their wives sure don't know where they are!" I actually got a big laugh from her and the audience.

That my one and only stage appearance.

She's tiny, really really short.

I love her but hate that she's republican. That documentary she did will break your heart. Really good.

by Anonymousreply 2803/03/2013

[quote] agree, she was a pioneer

Yes, she's so old she WAS a Pioneer. She was so mean Nelly Oleson was afraid of her.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2013

The web claims she voted for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2013

She's a Republican, but one with a small "r." And she's not one who's in sync with the current crop of crazies in Congress. And, yeah, she's mean, but she's hilarious. A lot funnier than comics half her age.

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2013

I really like her. I saw so many sides of her when she was on celebrity apprentice: protective mother, hard worker, supportive friend/acquaintance, etc. I think I saw her documentary too and saw some of those sides.

That Melissa is a waste of space though. You can really appreciate Joan when you compare her to the daughter. That daughter isn't going to know what to do with herself when Joan passes. By the way, there are just some celebs that seem like they are going to live forever: Joan, Barbara Walters, Sean Connery, Maggie Griffin, Betty White. I'm amazed.

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2013

I have always enjoyed Joan Rivers. I remember her from her Johnny Carson days and also remember what a hard time she got when she made fat jokes about Elizabeth Taylor. It's amazing how hard she still works after all these decades. She's still sharp. I like her on Fashion Police and enjoyed her documentary. Sometimes she seems desperate to stay relevant, but I still like her and wish she'd invite me to her fabulous apartment in Manhattan for Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 3303/04/2013

She's a very funny woman and indefatigable but shameless, from living in a faux Versailles palace on Fifth Avenue to selling women crappy overpriced costume jewelry to maintain that lifestyle to stumping for Malcolm Forbes' screwed up son. She came off in that film as hateful, ungrateful and neurotic and her plastic surgery is out of control. She's done as well as anyone that brittle and unlikable can. And I know I'll feel like shit when she finally bites it.

by Anonymousreply 3403/04/2013

Bring back the ovens!

by Anonymousreply 3503/04/2013

Oh gawd, OP. Joan is a has been and no one cares about her.

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2013

She killed me! SHE KILLED ME!!

by Anonymousreply 3703/04/2013

I loved when she got that awful makeup guy, again. :)

by Anonymousreply 3803/04/2013

Joan was once really funny. She was a lovable schlep who made fun of people in high positions, as if to say, "they may have money and beauty, but they still take a shit like you and me." She has no focus now since she envisions herself as Queen Elizabeth 2. Her rants come off as a bitter, delusional, senile old bag and as mentioned many times in this thread, she hasn't had an original joke in decades. She's also recently added racist to the mix as she's upset at Asian women who steal all the good Jewish men. On a recent special, she did the grade school insult where she pulled her eyes slanted but her face was already pulled so tight that it made the move redundant.

She does come across as an amazingly unhappy woman who works because there's nothing else for her to do. She can't enjoy herself. It was telling that she got over Edgar's death much more quickly than the Carson fiasco, which she still obsesses about. On "American Masters", she finally admitted she made a mistake in her handling of that. Duh. Of course, she later said her remarks were taken out of context.

by Anonymousreply 3903/04/2013

What R39 said--watched her special on HBO ( i think) and turned it off--no prude here, but her crap and yes it was -was toilet nonsense--she was repulsive--anything for a buck.

by Anonymousreply 4003/04/2013

Joan's personality trajectory is like Lucy's, not knowing when to gracefully say goodbye and tarnishing your reputation by constantly foisting yourself on the public. Lucy still had ILL in constant reruns but Joan has nothing but YouTube memories.

by Anonymousreply 4103/04/2013

[quote]I loved when she got that awful makeup guy, again. :)

That was all scripted an badly acted too. The whole Lesbian kiss and internet show with Kato Kaelin saying he is above it, all scripted and not a good actor among them.

by Anonymousreply 4203/04/2013

She's OVER-appreciated. Just hanging around a long time doesn't merit some kind of reward.

by Anonymousreply 4303/04/2013

[quote]I can't think of anyone else alive today with a comparable career.

by Anonymousreply 4403/04/2013

Joan Rivers humor is always at the expense of someone. She is a verbal bully. Don't care for her.

by Anonymousreply 4503/04/2013

Not true, R45.

She cracks many jokes about herself (her sagging body, her fruitless search for a boyfriend, etc.)

She has always been self-deprecating.

On the occasion when she is mean, she picks on very attractive, successful people (e.g.Liz Taylor, Adele, Tom Cruise).

Why should people of that caliber really care about her jibes?? It won't tarnish their reputation; they are talented stars and will/ did have great careers.

by Anonymousreply 4603/04/2013

She's up for the role of Toto in the remake of The Lizard of Roz.

by Anonymousreply 4703/04/2013

Brett Freedman, the makeup man who made fun of her, is very talented and has a great line of eye makeup--Vanity Mark. I'm sure the whole shtick was a setup.

by Anonymousreply 4803/05/2013

[quote]On the occasion when she is mean, she picks on very attractive, successful people (e.g.Liz Taylor, Adele, Tom Cruise).

[quote]Why should people of that caliber really care about her jibes?? It won't tarnish their reputation; they are talented stars and will/ did have great careers.

I heard Cher say on TV once that she LIKED it whenever Joan Rivers talked about her in her act because she honestly thought it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 4903/05/2013

Holy Mary Mother Of God, Melissa Rosenberg on national TV just said she can't get a man because and I quote "Successful men don't want to be with a woman who is an equal".

by Anonymousreply 5003/10/2013

I have a friend who uses the "too independent" excuse and the truth is she's too unpleasant and full of herself. Generally, there's only room for one person like that in a relationship.

by Anonymousreply 5103/10/2013

I love her too she's one of a kind and at her age inspiring in her sharpness, energy level and awareness of popular culture.

Fashion Police is the perfect vehicle for her, best she's ever had. She is very weak as an actress so sitcoms were always out of the question, and Joan and Melissa though still fun to watch, is poorly executed and performed. But Fashion Police is hysterical, the blend of fashion, humour and personalities are great.

Plus Joan has always been a big gay and GMHC supporter and advocate.

by Anonymousreply 5203/10/2013

[quote]I heard Cher say on TV once that she LIKED it whenever Joan Rivers talked about her in her act because she honestly thought it was hilarious.

Cher has a good sense of humor about herself.

by Anonymousreply 5303/11/2013

That sense of humor only went so far because she and Fivers no longer talk.

by Anonymousreply 5403/11/2013

I understand that Cher isn't speaking to Eleanor Parker.

by Anonymousreply 5503/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!