Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

To DL Chefs, do any of you have a corn bread recipe?

I would prefer the non sweet kind. I would like it to go with gumbo.

by Anonymousreply 5603/09/2013

My cornbread comes from a blue and white box with the word Jiffy on the front.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

Jiffy rocks, but it is the northern kind of sweet cornbread and OP wants the savory sort.

I think the best recipe was on the cornmeal bag when I was young, but I can't find it on google.

Remember, for southern dishes, make the savory corn bread.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

When did I eat cornbread?!

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

Homesick Texan to the rescue!

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

Google will give you thousands of recipes.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

The recipe on the back of the Indian Head cornmeal bag. Leave out the sugar.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

1 cup each of corn meal, flour (can be whole wheat if you like), milk (I have used soymilk with OK results), 1 egg (if small use 2), 1/2 tsp. salt, 4 tsp. baking powder, 1/3 cup of corn oil or other shortening (melted butter or margarine will do) and the optional ingredient, 1/4 cup of sugar. Notice DL BITCHES I said *optional*. Mix all ingredients until well blended and pour into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

This being DL and full of hysterical bitches and fraus, I'm sure there will be some fancy pants bitch who will take exception to this recipe, but it works for me and that is all that matters. Night night, folksies......

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

Why oil or shortening instead of butter, R8? For the texture?

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

We had an African American housekeeper when I was little, and I remember she always made cornbread with bacon fat and she cooked it in a cast iron skillet in the oven. She made it from scratch and used cornmeal from a round box.I loved her cornbread and could never duplicate it. She died a long time ago. Her name was Constantine.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

R9, if you read my post carefully, you will see that I did say that melted butter (or margaine) is acceptable as a shortening. BTW, baking time is about 20 minutes. I would use a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread to make sure it is done. Some depress the middle slightly with an index finger, if it comes back, like a cake, it is also a good indication that it is done. I like this bread with maple syrup and/or honey, but, to each his own, there is no accounting for taste. I have seen recipes that call for sour cream, whole kernel corn, etc. which is good, but for that you will have to use your "googling skills". On Cowboy Frank's website he has a fairly good recipe for corn pudding which is similar but more like spoonbread. Johnny Cake is another old variation on the corn bread theme.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

OK, thanks. I wasn't sure if the "will do" meant like in a pinch. All the recipes I recall seeing have oil/bacon drippings/shortening without saying butter as an option.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

From Cook's Country, I made it about 6 months ago and came out great. 2 1/4 cups cornmeal, 2 cups buttermilk, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 large eggs.

1. Adjust oven racks to lower-middle and middle positions and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat 10-inch ovensafe skillet on middle rack for 10 minutes. Bake cornmeal on rimmed baking sheet set on lower-middle rack until fragrant and color begins to deepen, about 5 minutes. Transfer hot cornmeal to large bowl and whisk in buttermilk; set aside.

2. Add oil to hot skillet and continue to bake until oil is just smoking, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and add butter, carefully swirling pan until butter is melted. Pour all but 1 tablespoon oil mixture into cornmeal mixture, leaving remaining fat in pan. Whisk baking powder, baking soda, salt, and eggs into cornmeal mixture.

3. Pour cornmeal mixture into hot skillet and bake until top begins to crack and sides are golden brown, 12 to 16 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Serve.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

In my opinion, there's no such thing as bad cornbread (with or without sugar). The non-sweet version might be best with gumbo, but all of these recipes sound wonderful.

R11, I love leftover cornbread with maple syrup -- like pancakes, it soaks the syrup up so there's room for more & you can just keep pouring.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

In the cast iron skillet with cracklins. Hoe cake as well.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

R15, aren't cracklins fried pork skin? Are they similar to the salty snack that is sold in the supermarket (pork rinds??)? How are they added to the mixture? I have heard of the cast iron skillet idea and it is repeated in the cookbook "White Trash Cooking" by the late Ernie Mickler, but was never daring enough to try it that way--I was always afraid it might burn on the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

You can't just use cornmeal you have to use a little bit of regular flour too.

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013

17 it is pork skin but nothing at all like the pork rinds. You just mix them in the batter. They add so much flavor.

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2013

1 cup corn meal

1 cup bisquick

1 cup milk

1 cup canned cream corn{small can]

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbs melted butter

2 beaten eggs

1/2 cup sugar. You can use honey or other sweeteners and you can adjust the amount if too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2013

Sweet cornbread is vile and R20 posted a recipe for vomit.

Make sure you get organic corn otherwise it will be a GMO product.

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2013

I hadn't had real, homemade cornbread in a long time, so I was excited to have some when I visited an elderly aunt recently. I remembered hers was always almost as good as my mother's.

Imagine my disappointment to find out she put sugar in it. I don't know why she would have started that heinous practice. I think it's time she was put in a "facility".

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

When did cornbread start getting so sweet? Sometimes I like something sweet on it, but in the recipe? Never.

Who started this trend?

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2013

The North won the Civil War, r23.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013

R24, I'm still hung over so a bit dumb this morning. Do you mean that sweet cornbread is a Yankee thing?

My mother is from the Tidewater and my father was from the mountains of North Georgia, and we never, ever had sweet cornbread. Both my grandmothers, like the above poster's old housekeeper, made it in cast iron skillets with bacon fat.

However, we were cosmopolitan enough to have maple syrup from up north for pancakes and waffles and such. God knows the Yankees do something right now and then.

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2013

Sweet cornbread is a very Yankee thing and it is horrid, just horrid.

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2013

The goddamn Yankees fucked up their cornbread by adding sugar or molasses to it making it a corn CAKE, not a bread!

That Jiffy shit is not allowed at my house.

by Anonymousreply 2703/03/2013

It is a crime to not put chopped jalapenos in cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 2803/03/2013

No, the practice of adding jalapeños is encouraged.

by Anonymousreply 2903/03/2013

This is the recipe for my Mom's favorite southern style cornbread. It is a dense, moist and kind of chewy cornbread. It is relatively low calorie since there is no oil in it.

2 eggs 2 cups buttermilk 1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. salt 2 cups grits

Generously grease a 9" square baking pan and put it in the oven as you pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Mix eggs and milk together and dump all at once into a bowl containing the dry ingredients that have been mixed together. Mix until all combined. (will be runny) Pour into the heated pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.

If you are a yankee and absolutely must, you can add from 1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup sugar.

by Anonymousreply 3003/03/2013

I just had some corn bread, it was sweet with little corn kernels in it. I was like, what is this madness. Of course they were from Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 3103/03/2013

Corn is high calorie oil or no.

Organic only kids.

by Anonymousreply 3203/03/2013

Organic only kids are so expensive. Most likely because they have to be raised cage free.

by Anonymousreply 3303/03/2013

R13 has the best recipe. You can sub bacon fat for the oil

by Anonymousreply 3403/03/2013

Definitely use bacon grease.

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2013

The Rutherford Grill in Rutherford, CA (just north of Napa) has awesome cornbread served in a skillet. No matter what else we order, we always get the cornbread as an appetizer.

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2013

I use a mix of bacon grease and oil. I couldn't give you my exact recipe, because I just eye everything. I also highly recommend cooking it in an iron skillet. Preheat the oven to 450°. Put the greased skillet in the preheating oven. When the skillet has completely preheated, pour in the corn meal batter. It will sizzle when you pour it in. Quickly return it to the oven and cook for 20 minutes, or when the top turns a darker than golden color.

And I'm on the no sugar side. Sometimes I grate an onion to put in the batter. I like my cornbread to be crunchy, so I usually use this pan:

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2013

Fat southern hogs.

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2013

Yankees are fatter cause sugar makes you fat.

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2013

Well, some red state folks don't have much insight about their issues, do they? According to the CDC: (I lived in Indiana for 5 years. It's very southern in parts.)

1. Mississippi (34.9%) 2. Louisiana (33.4%) 3. West Virginia (32.4%) 4. Alabama (32.0%) 5. Michigan (31.3%) 6. Oklahoma (31.1%) 7. Arkansas (30.9%) 8. (tie) Indiana (30.8%); and South Carolina (30.8%) 10. (tie) Kentucky (30.4%); and Texas (30.4%)

(It must especially galling to some of these folks to hear Michelle Obama promote exercise.)

40. Arizona (24.7%) 41. Montana (24.6%) 42. (tie) Connecticut (24.5%); Nevada (24.5%); and New York (24.5%) 45. Utah (24.4%) 46. California (23.8%) 47. (tie) District of Columbia (23.7%); and New Jersey (23.7%) 49. Massachusetts (22.7%) 50. Hawaii (21.8%); 51. Colorado (20.7%).

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2013

Yeah well, come on down here here, Mr. Smarty-pants Brainiac Yankee Bastard, and let me sit on you till your eyeballs blow out of your head.

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2013

Wouldn't you rather blow them out of my head with an assault weapon?

by Anonymousreply 4203/03/2013

I use a recipe almost exactly like R13's,the only differance is that I use bacon grease instead of butter and oil and bake it in a cast iron fry pan.

I don't know that cooking it in a cast iron fry pan makes that much differance but my mother insists that it's the best way to make it, so I've always done it that way.

The recipe has been in our (South Georgia) family for years. Mom says over 100 yrs but I don't know if I believe that. My mom had to adjust the recipe in the '70s because of changes in the way some ingredients were formulated(?)

by Anonymousreply 4303/03/2013

So how do Midwesterners like their cornbread -- is there a north/south break there too, where Minnesota people like it sweet and people from St Louis like it savory? What about the Mountain States? Northern and Southern California?

by Anonymousreply 4403/04/2013

Being from the North, I always put sugar in cornbread. I still think it tastes better, even though I've made it the Slave States way many times.

by Anonymousreply 4503/04/2013

Cornbread contains NO sugar AND NO flour. Don't put that mess on my table, sir.

1 cup buttermilk

1 cup stone ground YELLOW cornmeal

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 egg

Mix above ingredients. Don't overblend--you're not making cake batter.

Put cast iron skillet in oven, put some oil (2-3 tablespoons?) in it (make sure sides are greased) and heat it up to about 450. When skillet is hot, remove from oven and pour most of the oil into the batter. Again, mix the oil into the batter, but don't overdo it.

Pour batter into skillet--it should crackle a bit if you've got it hot enough. Cook until cornbread is golden brown on top.

Skillet for the above recipe should be small--maybe 7-8" across.

MUST use black cast iron skillet, MUST use stone ground YELLOW cornmeal.

by Anonymousreply 4603/04/2013

MUST use organic corn not GMO swill.

by Anonymousreply 4703/04/2013

I sweeten my corn bread by adding caramelized onions to the batter. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 4803/04/2013

Sugar and corn syrup are the primary reason I don't buy packaged products in the super market. I even have difficulty finding ham that hasn't been pumped full of water and sugar. I only buy ham direct from the farm, fortunately, we have many good sources here in California.

by Anonymousreply 4903/04/2013

R45 made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2013

R49 you can brine a ham at home. Most hams are wet brined and not smoked...easy to do in the frig.

by Anonymousreply 5103/04/2013

I picked up a package of Martha White Cotton Country Cornbread Mix. I'm mixing it up now to go with my chile. I'll tell y'all how it works out.

by Anonymousreply 5203/08/2013

I buy Martha White "Hot Rize" cornmeal mix occasionally.

I also like White Lily brand cornmeal mix.

by Anonymousreply 5303/08/2013

Has one noticed how the apparent southerners here wax dogmatic about just how cornbread should be and the apparent northerners who still like cornbread don't give a shit about something so trivial?

by Anonymousreply 5403/08/2013

No I have not r54

by Anonymousreply 5503/09/2013

I'll ask again:

[quote]So how do Midwesterners like their cornbread -- is there a north/south break there too, where Minnesota people like it sweet and people from St Louis like it savory? What about the Mountain States? Northern and Southern California?

by Anonymousreply 5603/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!