Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sequester Cuts Released

$928 MILLION IN DISASTER RELIEF CUT... CDC TO LOSE $289 MILLION... ENERGY ASSISTANCE FOR POOR SLASHED $175 MILLION... READ SPECIFIC CUTS... SEQUESTER IN EFFECT... $85 BILLION...

by Anonymousreply 8103/04/2013

Let's hope for some major tornadoes ripping through the south and midwest. No disaster relief for those assholes.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

The Republicans are celebrating this as a victory. They own it and should be blamed big time for all the hurt it will cause.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

THANKS TO THE REPUBLICKCUNTS!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

Ha ha America's POOR!

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

So Republicans got what they wanted? Why did this happen? What's a Sequester anyway?

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

The other day the government gave $60 million to the Syrian rebels. A few weeks ago the government gave France $50 million to help them with their fight in Mali. Something is wrong here.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

Syrian rebel link (for non-believers)

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

"Obama OKs $50 million to France" link

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

I was thinking the this morning too R2; I hope some tornado rips through Kansas - right through the district of that tea party asshat that Morning Joe always seems to trot out. I don't care how many fat hillbillies you trot on CNN to cry about losing their doublewide - no fed money for you!!

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

R8, you're incorrect

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

Exactly my thought, R1. Exactly.

Fucking shit states barely pay their fair share as it is, so let them pray to jeebus for help.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

The sequester, as enacted into law by Congress, is across the board. Obama does not have the power to reallocate the cuts.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

R5 sums up the republican attitude - it's all about the welfare check. I work with this asshole (for a military contractor no less) who was blabbering on about how great the budget cuts were - and then proceeded to tell me about his stupid kid getting a Pell grant to take some college prep course. Um, where do you think the money for the Pell grant comes from, the Pell Grant fairy?

I get so sick of these people who yammer on about welfare, but somehow they the middle class form of welfare - students loans, medicaid for grandma (cause god knows what don't want her living with us!) is A-OK!

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

DOD Civilian here. We got our notices that April 1, we are on furlough one day a week. That is a 20% loss in income. Will continue until end of fiscal year (October). This is on top of the fact that we have been in a 2 year pay freeze, and our continuing funding resolution expires around the same time. If they do not approve our budget or renew the resolution we are shutting down. At this point I say fuck them all. Let the whole damn thing shut down.

The motherfuckers cannot pass a budget in three years, and then they sit on their ass and watch the cuts go into place. I am the first person to acknowledge the DOD could spend taxpayer money better. The problem with these cuts is that there is zero flexibility. You cannot just defund one component in favor of another, or make well though out changes in spending. They are across the board and equal for each pay sector.

Any congressman/senator who votes no on Nelson's new bill calling for congress to take the same cut, should be immediately impeached.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

R15, THIS sums up the Republicans to a tee...

Craig "T" Nelson:

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

This is the price you pay for staying home on election day which is just another vote for republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2013

what a fucking cunt!

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2013

I totally dispute that point R18; I say people stood in long lines to vote for Obama against this very thing, but because of f'ed up districts that cater specifically to repug, they sent a bunch of nutcases to congress that have managed to total fuck up everything. We are like some crazy middle eastern country - the majority of the country is at the mercy of a radical fringe

by Anonymousreply 2003/02/2013

R8, you're a fucking moron. Pull your head out of FOX News's ass.

by Anonymousreply 2103/02/2013

R20, he's talking about the 2010 election, where the GOP took the House.

This is the reaping of what that petulant action sowed.

by Anonymousreply 2203/02/2013

This was Obama's consolation for raising the debt ceiling. I voted for Obama and even I think he screwed up with this idea. Of course it doesn't help that the Republicans refuse to compromise on taxes, but I do agree that we need to control spending and this is a smart way to just cut spending across the board. Someone above did make the point that this is a cut in future spending, so it will not affect current budgets. The issue here is how much can government assistance and government money contract and how will that affect our economy. In the end, I feel bad for all government employees affected by this radical move toward saving, but when it comes to Government spending, I think alot of people will agree that we need to be more fiscally conservative. I look at it the way one would budget money in your own home. If everything else has failed just cut spending across the board and see if that works. I dont think the republicans are going to cave on higher taxes for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 2303/02/2013

I agree with R18's point about cuts and I think there are many areas that could be cut - especially the DoD - but the current approach is surgery with a chainsaw rather than a scalpel. I don't mean to be overly emotive but I just feel that our government has failed us on every level.

by Anonymousreply 2403/02/2013

While I can sympathize with r18's frustration, I'd like to point out that this shit has gone on in the civilian sector for at LEAST the last 10 years.

Before I left my last job, I was working 50 hours a week and getting paid for 40 (not getting paid for one day of work a week). I also hadn't had a raise in 4 years and several of my co-workers said they had not received raises in 5 years. Not even a "cost of living" increase - NOTHING.

Our benefits were cut and health insurance went up 25%.

Frankly, I think every senior congressperson should be forced into sequestration also. Fair is fair.

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2013

Nobody believed me when I told them Obama was just a stealth Republican, posing as a Dem. to steal the nom. from Hillary. Then he went and bailed out all the banks (with your tax dollars) and hired half of the criminals from Bush's administration.

As for the "defense budget", trillions continue to pour down a black hole in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Africa... and anywhere else Haliburton has a contract.

He's just a bagboy for the Rethugs.

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2013

R23, this wasn't Obama's idea. Educate yourself before spouting off.

by Anonymousreply 2803/02/2013

[quote]This was Obama's consolation for raising the debt ceiling.

This has nothing to do with the debt ceiling.

[quote]Of course it doesn't help that the Republicans refuse to compromise on taxes,

Duh. That's why we've had these idiotic actions of the past couple of years.

[quote]but I do agree that we need to control spending and this is a smart way to just cut spending across the board.

This is an incredibly dumb way to cut spending, since it cuts *everything*, including such things as air traffic controllers.

[quote]Someone above did make the point that this is a cut in future spending, so it will not affect current budgets.

No, it isn't. It affects budgets now, which is why those cuts are happening today.

[quote]I think alot of people will agree that we need to be more fiscally conservative.

Yeah, morons. Fiscally conservative doesn't mean that you cut; it means that you pay for what you get.

[quote]I look at it the way one would budget money in your own home.

That's because you're an idiot. A government is not a household and you cannot treat the two the same way.

[quote]If everything else has failed just cut spending across the board and see if that works. I dont think the republicans are going to cave on higher taxes for the rich.

*Shrug* Then we will continue to have massive deficits. It's pretty much that simple. Taxes are at historically low levels and spending, contrary to Republican propaganda, is not even remotely out of control.

by Anonymousreply 2903/02/2013

What I've decided is that people want government cuts to equal a cut of welfare benefits to what they consider lazy or undesirable citizens. What they don't realize is that welfare and medicaid and all of that stuff is but a smideon of the federal budget. It's a nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3103/02/2013

Sequester cuts should fall heavier on the red states.

by Anonymousreply 3203/02/2013

Sequester the hell out of Republican pork-barrel projects.

by Anonymousreply 3303/02/2013

The Republicans' strategy all along, from the Extreme Right, is to dismantle government. That has been their mission. The sequestration cuts do that for them.

They are so vindictive they refused to vote for disaster relief for Sandy because it hit the Blue States including New York. They are fucking despicable and we need to get ready now for 2014.

We have some good Dems retiring from the Senate. We can't afford to give up one single seat. We need to make sure of that. We have 201 seats in the House. we need only 17 more. We should try for 20 more to be safe. We cannot keep going thru this bullshit.

They are fucking up our fragile recovery and will end up costing hundreds of thousands if not millions of jobs. Furloughing teachers, cops, and a host of other employees. It'll have a domino effect.

They are doing it on purpose. Sick fucks. How smart do you have to be to understand that when people are unemployed they can't pay payroll taxes. This fucks up Social Security and Medicare.

When people work & pay taxes the deficit is reduced. People in the 98% spend money. They help create jobs. Fucking assholes. We need to run their asses out of Washington and straight to Hell.

We need a full mobilization. Do they have any idea of how angry and frustrated and disgusted most people are with them? I would love to defeat Boehner, Cantor, Ryan, Bachmann & King in the House. We can do it too.

by Anonymousreply 3403/02/2013

Yes, he is. The Republicans' chronic obstruction is fully documented, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3603/02/2013

By what tortured stretch of reason can Obama be blamed for the sequester. He had nothing to do with causing it and can do little to undo it.

by Anonymousreply 3803/02/2013

He is blameless. He's tried to work with those asshole Repugs but they refuse to cooperate or compromise and they don't give a shit if they destroy the country in the process.

by Anonymousreply 4003/02/2013

Is R37 speaking English?

by Anonymousreply 4203/02/2013

You freepers aren't fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 4303/02/2013

I wouldn't call Obama "blameless" but on some practical level, you can't negotiate with people who refuse to work with you, fail to put forth their own ideas (no, Congress did not put forth a budget this year) or meet you in any reasonable fashion.

What's the difference between a repug and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist!

by Anonymousreply 4403/02/2013

Give up losers.

by Anonymousreply 4503/02/2013

Right wingnuts believe all kinds of fact free nonsense about Obama. Fox news and right wing media continue to destroy the brain cells of millions.

by Anonymousreply 4603/02/2013

[quote]This has nothing to do with the debt ceiling.

R29, this had everything to do with the debt ceiling. See link.

by Anonymousreply 4703/02/2013

Listen you freeper fuckers, why don't you educate yourselves a little before coming on here and trying to be shit stirrers.

Obama has spent less than any other President going back to Truman and Eisenhower. You assholes never let honesty and facts stand in your way.

And you know what? If he did spend, so fucking what? He has never outspent George Bush or Ronald Reagan who gave us our worse deficits. President Obama has lead us away from the abyss and back to stability. All the obstructionsist and liars in the world can't change that reality.

You pigfuckers come on here and shit on the floor and stink up the place with your small minds and your ignorance. I support Obama and I do hold him blameless. I will never apologize for supporting him. I have since 2007, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 4803/02/2013

[quote]This is the reaping of what that petulant action sowed.

And yet those of us who said so during the months leading up to the 2010 midterms were characterized as Uncle Toms and betrayers to progressive causes.

We pleaded with people to act rationally. We told people there was a schedule and that the White House was honoring its promises.

We demonstrated that, while progress was slow, the Administration was headed in the correct direction.

But less rational voices screamed like spoiled children about how they had been wronged - threatening financial boycotts, etc while the world moved on.

And what happened?

Exactly what we feared: the GOP not only picked up the House but governorships and state legislatures. The effects will be long-lasting.

Now the malcontents - much like those who continue to insist that Nader had no impact on the 2000 Florida results - categorically refuse to acknowledge the cost of petulance.

But everyone who failed to vote in 2010 shares responsibility for the GOP majority in the House today.

by Anonymousreply 5103/02/2013

Beautifully said R51. Beautifully said.

by Anonymousreply 5303/02/2013

The pro-Repug troll is becoming increasingly illiterate. He must have run out of lotion for his mother's nightly breast massage, and is acting out.

by Anonymousreply 5403/02/2013

Both parties are responsible. This is the beginning of am "austerity" program for America. The banks have gotten their huge payouts, and they will be aggressively protected. Now the middle class will join the poor in having benefits and services cut.

by Anonymousreply 5503/02/2013

WHere did this "It was Obama's Idea" nonsense come from? Is that what FOX News is pushing now?

The Sequester ONLY exists due to brinksmanship & hostage-taking engaged in by the tea-party Republicans and Republican leadership in the House.

John Boehner bragged when it was passed that he got 98% of what HE wanted.

NO democrats voted for it.

So... how is this Obama's idea? Or fault?

What the fuck people! There are these things called facts! A little thing called history, filled with stuff that ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 5603/02/2013

R39 is an ignorant moron.

Under Obama's administration, the national annual budget deficit has gone down every year, and is going down faster, and more, than at any time since the end of World War 2. He's signed into law trillions in cuts over the next ten years. And spending has been at the slowest rate since Ike Eisenhower.

Fuck all you morons who ignorantly and gullibly believe the right-wing lie that Obama is spending us into ruin. That was the REPUBLICAN PARTY that did that... in particular, Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II.

by Anonymousreply 5703/02/2013

[quote]Both parties are responsible.

Perfect example of a false equivalency.

ZERO DEMOCRATS VOTED FOR THIS.

Even if you can apply SOME blame on the Democrats, you cannot apply EQUAL blame. Republicans are about a thousand times more responsible for this than Democrats.

I fucking hate morons who engage in this facile, lazy false-equivalency bullshit. Just stop it.

by Anonymousreply 5803/02/2013

R50? You're in [italic]desperate[/italic] need of a little perspective, and a serious reality-check.

by Anonymousreply 5903/02/2013

R60, you need a serious dose of reality, and some serious perspective. Do you enjoy sounding stupid?

by Anonymousreply 6103/02/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6203/02/2013

r61 was told by his mother that he is the smartest little boy in the whole wide world.

He still believes it.

by Anonymousreply 6303/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 6503/02/2013

Girls, girls GIRLS!...

You`re all fucking broke now.

by Anonymousreply 6603/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 6703/02/2013

[quote]Please [R18].... you work for the government. You are overpaid and underworked. You have benefits the likes of which the ordinary workforce wouldn't even dream of. My friend worked for DOJ in the 90's -- had "flex time" and was able to take every other Monday off, at full pay?!?! Where in the private sector would you get that??? Why should you get a raise every year automatically? That's just not how it works in the real world.

Wow! Just wow. How fucking dumb can you be?!

My mother, a woman who has worked for Social Security for 40 years, would rip you a new asshole. You know of one person in one agency, and suddenly that's the entire government. People save up and have leave. You're a typical thick as pig shit, ignorant American. You obviously have no fucking clue how business works. What kind of job have you kept, hon, granted that you ever left your mother's basement.

by Anonymousreply 6803/02/2013

R68, I'll tell you what sort of "ignorance" it is. Federal employees have it made in the shade. Work in the private sector as most of us have. You get NO vacation until after working a YEAR then it's only ONE WEEK. After working FIVE YEARS you *might* get two weeks. Think I'm kidding? Look around.

You have NO sick days - NONE. Get sick? Your kid is sick? Your parent is in the hospital? TOUGH. You don't get paid. Federal employees don't understand that about the private sector. WE GET NOTHING!! And the greedy fuckers keep trying to take that away.

You think everybody can "save their days" - absolutely not. Whatever pittance of days you manage to hoard over a year is lost once that year is up. You think everyone gets a vacation? You're mistaken.

WE know how "business" in the private sector works. It's very Dickensian. Try it sometime and get back with the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 6903/02/2013

R64 = F&F

Ignorant hateful trollish moron.

Go shove your head back up Paul Ryan's lyin' ass, why don't you?

Seriously, you're a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7003/03/2013

R69, again, your ignorance is showing. You assume your experience in the private sector is everyone's ; just as you extrapolate one federal employee's situation to federal employees in toto.

I worked for years in the private sector, at a Fortune 100 company. Most of my friends and relatives still work in the private sector. Most of them have very generous leave policies, both sick and vacation. Yes, those hours are capped, but few people I know ever used all their leave by the end of the year. The next year begins with another big pot of hours to be used by year's end. Nobody starts the new year with zero hours in the bank.

State and federal employees start out with nothing in the leave bank. The longer you've been in the system, the more leave hours you accrue.

Yes, you get to roll those hours over year to year, but thank the civil service for that perk. If you wanted security, you shouldn't have pissed on labor unions while sticking your noses up HR's asses and believing that corporate bullshit.

Private sector jobs historically pay more than public sector, and do not pay overtime, so the public sector offered more job security and better leave policies to compete for talent.

I remember getting snarked on by my former colleagues when I left to take a state job with shit pay. 20 years later my salary doesn't approach what I'd have made in the private sector, but I still have a secure job and benefits (though no raise in 6 years). A lot of those guys who laughed at me have been laid off. And now are they're pissed at the government workers they felt so superior to when times were good for them.

I fucking HATE hypocritical dog in the manger types.

by Anonymousreply 7103/03/2013

[quote]So Obama is blameless huh sycophants?

Yup. Well, other than his initial naivete in thinking that radical ideologues could be negotiated with. It's interesting that you weren't able to actually come up with anything that showed that Obama was to "blame" for the current impasse.

[quote]Obama is the spend spend spend president

Thank you for confirming that you're a partisan moron. See R57 for the response to this particular idiocy of yours.

by Anonymousreply 7203/04/2013

[quote]I'll tell you what sort of "ignorance" it is.

Well, basically, it's this post of yours, which is definitely ignorant.

[quote]Federal employees have it made in the shade.

They make less than their counterparts in the private sector, even allowing for the more generous benefits. Doesn't sound particularly "made in the shade" to me.

[quote]Work in the private sector as most of us have. You get NO vacation until after working a YEAR then it's only ONE WEEK.

You do realize that this is bullshit, right? That this is not even remotely the way that most of the private sector operates? Just checking.

[quote]After working FIVE YEARS you *might* get two weeks. Think I'm kidding? Look around.

I have; you're lying.

[quote]You have NO sick days - NONE.

Ditto.

[quote]WE GET NOTHING!! And the greedy fuckers keep trying to take that away.

And instead of fighting for the benefits you deserve in the private sector, you're determined that the public sector benefits should be taken away, as well? Gee, that makes a lot of sense.... Oh, wait....

[quote]WE know how "business" in the private sector works.

Clearly, you don't.

[quote]It's very Dickensian. Try it sometime and get back with the rest of us.

We have; you're lying.

by Anonymousreply 7303/04/2013

I understand the resentment of some workers in private industry at government workers who have a good pension, more sick days, more job securty, etc.

However, when government workers lose those benefits how will that improve the condition of private workers? They'll just be more people competing for a bigger pool of shitty jobs?

It's just lose/lose. There's no win for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 7403/04/2013

s

by Anonymousreply 7503/04/2013

Perhaps the most amazing thing about the sequester was pointed out in yesterday's NYTimes: taken together with earlier measures, the President and Congress have now largely achieved -- albeit grudgingly and in a very stupid manner -- exactly what economists asked them to do, namely slash $4 trillion in deficits over the next ten years.

And this is without touching the big-ticket entitlements! Now would be a very good time to return to that subject and begin to develop a more rational fiscal program. It can even be revenue-neutral, since the larger $4 trillion goal has already largely been met.

by Anonymousreply 7603/04/2013

no

by Anonymousreply 7703/04/2013

r69, federal employees are now having to do jobs plus the job they were hired to do. My mother now has three jobs. They won't hire more people. Only one agency handles military claims. My mother is worked like a dog, as is everyone else. You are such a pos. what was done to government workers during the Bush years was horrifying. Government workers are not politicians Go after them! Stop with the Right wing talking points. My mother also works for the union. The stories she could tell you would make your head spin. Workers are treated like shit by the Feds. You seem like a very angry person. Stop making blanket statements. Any benefits government workers get are not unlike the ones tons of people in business get. You must be a typical liberal arts loser. That degree in philosophy didn't work out for you, eh?

by Anonymousreply 7803/04/2013

[quote] You get NO vacation until after working a YEAR then it's only ONE WEEK. After working FIVE YEARS you *might* get two weeks. Think I'm kidding? Look around.

You must have a really shitty private sector job. My current employer (private sector) starts every employee off with 10 paid vacation days (which start accruing immediately and can be taken after 90 days), 3 paid personal days, 10 paid sick days, all paid holidays. We also get extra company paid days off the week between Christmas and New Years. Our health insurance (of which the company pays the majority of the premium)starts the day you begin work with the company and cover ALL pre-existing conditions from day one.

After 5 years you get 15 paid vacation days. Starting next year all employees will also get an extra paid personal day as well.

by Anonymousreply 7903/04/2013

See the link as to why the Republicans are responsible and Obama is not.

by Anonymousreply 8003/04/2013

[quote]Fiscally conservative doesn't mean that you cut; it means that you pay for what you get.

What if you ordered too much and you don't have a way to pay for what you ordered? Don't you put something back?

by Anonymousreply 8103/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.