Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patsy Cline Memorial Thread

Patsy Cline will be dead 50 years on March 5th. She had such a beautiful voice, which won here widespread fame on the Arthur Godfry show. Somehow I don't think she (or Dylan, or Orbison, etc.) would have fared as well today on American Idol (where looks are more important than talent).

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 2310/19/2013

She would have been fine--she was quite attractive.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 103/02/2013

Years ago I picked up a video that collected all her music videos (or whatever they called them in the 1950s) I will have a Patsy Cline Memorial Viweing on March 5th.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 203/02/2013

Patsy Cline was Loretta Lynn's mentor.

Loretta said if it wasn't for Patsy, she might not have had a career.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 303/02/2013

I used to think Patsy Cline was Jewish, not ever having seen her name in print.

Silly me.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 403/02/2013

Yes, Patsy was attractive, but her real appeal was that voice and delivery. I just don't think those talents are as appreciated today. Autotune and digitalized music, have made talent take a back seat to "image".

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 503/02/2013

Oh, yes! "Looks are more important than talent"!

Says nobody ever about AI's Fantasia, Taylor Hicks, Lee DeWyze, Ruben Studdard, or Scotty McCreery.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 603/02/2013

The concept of Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts was so much better than American Idol. There were three contestants every week and one would be a winner. Many show biz stars got their start on Talent Scouts. Many of Talent Scout losers were better than AI winners.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 703/02/2013

Well, AI got them exposure, but who among those named has had a real career, r6? Kelly Clarkson certainly has more talent than looks, and has fought and made a career for herself. Some of the biggest more recent successes (uhem..Madonna, anyone) were built out of PR, image shock value, if you will), with a deficit to complete lack of musical talent. Of, course American Idol is not to blame, it is just the state of the modern music industry.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 803/02/2013

Was she, like, the one from Hee Haw or something?

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 903/02/2013

There was a clarity and richness to Patsy's voice. It could soar high, then swoop down low, then rise just barely above a whisper, evoking joy, pain, and heartache in a single song. But it was always in a gradual progression, not this flashy vocal gymnastics showboating that today's singers seem to prefer. I recently attended my niece's high school talent show, and she and every single girl vocalists did all the belting, whoops, runs, and melissimas that they learned from their idols Whitney, Mariah, Céline, and Christina. It was excruciating and I wished these girls had listened to Patsy or Karen Carpenter or even Gloria Estefan to see how real singing is done. But perhaps they find this style too old fashioned.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1003/02/2013

Patsy was a rare talent. Very few who have followed approach her talent. Dolly Parton comes close, but still no cigar.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1103/02/2013

This one was a hit after Patsy died...

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1203/02/2013

Most country stars of yesteryear didn't have much talent. The talent was all in "The Nashville A-team"

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1303/02/2013

Patsy Cline transcended country music.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1403/02/2013

Critics called her "The Hayseed Judy Garland."

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1503/02/2013

The ironic thing about that fateful day in '63, when Patsy died was that onboard the plane with her were Hackshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas, who were the bigger stars at the time. Cline's legend grew after her death, while Hawkins and Copas are only remembered (if at all) as those "honky tonk singers who died in that plane with Patsy." When you watch that biopic of Patsy, "Sweet Dreams," Jessica Lange as Patsy calls them by name, but so little time is invested in these characters that you'd think they were just her backup band, not the superstars they were.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1603/03/2013

I've been humming "I Cried All the Way to the Altar" all day

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1710/19/2013

My favorite Patsy. I start toe tapping and smiling when it comes up. No matter what mood I'm in.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1810/19/2013

She's one of the best singers I ever heard. And according to people who knew her she was a very down to earth, good-hearted person. It's so tragic when a person who has such a wonderful talent, in addiction to being a decent human being, gets killed in some stupid accident. So many died that way: Otis Redding, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Jim Croce, Stevie Ray Vaughan...and Patsy Cline.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 1910/19/2013

HA HA HA I'LL SAY!

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 2010/19/2013

RIP Patsy Cline, we LURVE you!

I love the Barbara Mandrell story of how she shared a bed with Patsy when Barbara was just thirteen. She jokes about the implications, but really Patsy was just protecting her form the perverted men on the tour bus.

The plane crash was horrific. Roger Miller, her good friend, was traumatized for life after having found the back of her skull in that field.

Sorry to be morbid.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 2110/19/2013

I just watched a few clips of her on YouTube.

I got a MAJOR dyke vibe from her.

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 2210/19/2013

She sure could sang

by Video killed the radio star, and computerized sound is killing music reply 2310/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.