Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Video: Comedian Adam Hills To Joan Rivers: "You're Being A Dick!"

Speaking on his weekly television show The Last Leg which aired in the United Kingdom last night, the former Spicks and Specks host condemned the US comedienne's recent comments on late-night talk show, The Late Show with David Letterman.

"If you make fat jokes about Adele, you're being a d---," Hill said.

"And I'm referring to you, Joan Rivers."

"Adele is one of the very few women in pop music I want my daughter to look up to and you're making jokes about the way she looks when you're so insecure about your own face you've spent more money on it than the producers of Life of Pi spent on that tiger."

"Get a plastic surgeon to manufacture yourself a new soul."

The rant was out of character for Hills, a comedian known for his friendly nature and non-confrontational comedic style.

Rivers has faced widespread criticism for her appearance on the talk show, where she described meeting Adele at the Oscars and made unflattering comments about the singer's size.

"What is her song? Rolling In the Deep? She should add fried chicken," the 79-year-old joked.

Rivers has also faced strong criticism for a joke made earlier in the week about German supermodel Heidi Klum.

"The last time a German looked this hot was when they were pushing Jews into the ovens," Rivers, who is Jewish, joked.

Despite the backlash, Rivers has so far refused to apologise.

by Anonymousreply 13503/18/2014

Joan really stepped in it this time. She relies on Britain for money. She sells her jewelry over there, and is considered a national treasure. People are just so sick of her unfunny bullshit. The money she makes that she's given to the GOP is astronomical. This is a woman who says she's the Queen of the Gays. Fuck you, you old hag! Even Howard Stern is sick of her phony, hypocritical ass.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

I saw Jimmy Carr make fat jokes about Adele on 8 Out of 10 Cats last year and no one cared (Jon Richardson also mocked her accent) so I don't understand why everyone is attacking Joan Rivers all of a sudden.

Adele is worth millions, she has an Oscar and more Grammys than she can count, I doubt she cares what comedians say about her.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

There are limits, even for elderly icons.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

Who is Adam Hills?

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

I will be happy if I never see Joan Rivers ever again.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

Joan Rivers made so many fat jokes about Elizabeth Taylor 25 years ago and it was no big deal.

She's a comedienne and she's known for taking on everyone. Why the concern for Adele?

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

Joan was making Holocaust jokes, and mentally disabled jokes too.

[quote]She's a comedienne and she's known for taking on everyone. Why the concern for Adele?

It's a different era, and Joan no longer has clout. She can no longer get away with running her mouth. People are sick of her.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

I'm tired of Adele and everyone kissing her fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

R7

If Joan Rivers no longer has clout, then why should anyone care what she says?

It's different era? Really? Funny... I just saw a Huffpost news video about the hate unleashed toward Anne Hathaway on Twitter after the Oscars.

A fat joke about Adele by Joan Rivers should make little impact.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

Joan is a money hungry old bitch. On the documentary about her, she actually has few friends and even less family. She works because she doesn't have anything else. I think she was always a good comedienne but as she's gotten older, she's become mean spirited and comments on things that someone of her generation should stay out of. Her time is over and she should go do some charity work. Her ambition drove her husband to suicide and she has never gotten over it.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

Haha I saw that live last night. It was weird, but not undeserved for the hag and her tired schtick.

R4 He's an Australian comedian with a prosthetic foot. I only saw this show recently and had no idea till later in when it was addressed, it's a panel show with disabled people that was originally shown during the Paralympics last summer.

Now Hills was obviously chosen not just cause of his comedy skills, but cause he's photogenic (well he's Australian). So this has been the year when the spotlight has been on hot disabled people.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

[quote]If Joan Rivers no longer has clout, then why should anyone care what she says?

Okay, then we shouldn't care what so many small homophobic groups say either.

[quote]It's different era? Really? Funny... I just saw a Huffpost news video about the hate unleashed toward Anne Hathaway on Twitter after the Oscars.

Try making a point next time, bozo.

[quote]I'm tired of Adele and everyone kissing her fat ass.

Stop being an ancient qween stereotype, fossil.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

It's amusing that some of you think a no name throwing a tantrum over a joke is a big deal.

I doubt Joan gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

That Heidi Klum joke is sick. It's offensive to Jews and it's offensive to Germans. Watching that old cunt rip everyone on the Fashion Police is the biggest snooze as well. Every time I see that shriveled up old cunt/fashion disaster on Fashion Police she looks like she belongs on Mr Blackwell's worst dressed list for eternity!

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

[quote]Even Howard Stern is sick of her phony, hypocritical ass.

Bull.Shit. She was on this week and will be on again soon.

Stern is a phony, hypocritical ass himself, so of course he loves her.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

OR:

Adele could stop cramming mashed potatoes into her maw.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

I'm with R8. Bitch can't sing. Booooring.

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

I thought the punchline would be "rolling in the mud" as in a pig. 79 and still has it.

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2013

We're having to listen to all this just because Adam Hills has a fat daughter?

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2013

She became a lot more desperate since her husband off'd himself. For a while, no one would hire her. She worked as a third replacement for Linda Lavin in Broadway Bound. Took work anywhere she could get it. Then she suddenly got hot again but she's became meaner, nastier and not as funny. And, given her really bad plastic surgery, she's not in a position to criticize anyone else's appearance.

In short, she needs to go away.

by Anonymousreply 2003/02/2013

R12 wrote "Okay, then we shouldn't care what so many small homophobic groups say either."

Try making a point next time, bozo.

by Anonymousreply 2103/02/2013

The difference between the jokes about Adele and the public hating on Hathaway is that the Adele joke is aimed at her physical features whereas the Hathaway ire is aimed at her personality and her transparent hunger for the Oscar.

Knocking someone for being fat is akin to being a bully. Knocking someone for their "Give me an Oscar!" persona isn't.

by Anonymousreply 2203/02/2013

Adele is so fat that when she was diagnosed with a flesh-eating disease, the doctor gave her ten years to live.

Adele is so fat that when she goes to the zoo the elephants throw her peanuts.

Adele is so fat when she steps on the scale it says "One at a time, please"

Adele is so fat that when she jogs she sets off car alarms.

Adele is so fat that when she got her ears pierced, gravy came out.

Adele is so fat when she goes to a restaurant she doesn't get a menu, she gets an estimate

Adele is so fat they had to let out her shower curtain.

Adele is so fat that when she talks to herself, it’s a long distance call.

Adele is so fat that when she sits on the beach, Greenpeace shows up and tries to tow her back into the ocean...

by Anonymousreply 2303/02/2013

R23 You tried it.

by Anonymousreply 2403/02/2013

And there to the left of this thread we have DL's "wit & wisdom":

OFFICIAL ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY THREAD Part 2

they managed to make Adele look thin.

Try hitting the side of your TV to fix the picture. --Anonymous

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2013

[quote]On the documentary about her, she actually has few friends and even less family.

That is one of the dumbest statements I've heard today. The bitch is 79. Who the hell has lots of friends and relatives at 79, they're all dead.

Nothing she said was any worse than the shit that's said here on a daily basis, so clean your own asses before you worry about someone elses.

by Anonymousreply 2603/02/2013

Yet when her precious, unattractive, talentless daughter was maligned on "The Celebrity Apprentice" she went ballistic. She threatened to quit even though she was contracted to win. Obviously one subject is off limits.

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2013

R27, that was unprofessional, but a lot of parents lose their shit where their sons or daughters are concerned. Big damn deal.

by Anonymousreply 2803/02/2013

What do you mean contacted to win?

by Anonymousreply 2903/02/2013

[quote]Yet when her precious, unattractive, talentless daughter was maligned on "The Celebrity Apprentice" she went ballistic. She threatened to quit even though she was contracted to win. Obviously one subject is off limits.

This reminds me of how people on dl can slam everyone in threads, and be racist as hell, but let anyone say something they don't like, or agree with, and THEY go ballistic, crying homophobe, or in the case of a gay offender, self hating homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 3003/02/2013

Her fat jokes and other similar insults are just not funny anymore.

I mean, really Joan? A fat joke on Adele. Gee, how original.

by Anonymousreply 3103/02/2013

R1 it's not the first time I've read on DL that Joan Rivers is considered a "national treasure" in Britain and it still baffles me why anyone would think that. A lot of people over here would struggle to even remember who she is. Does she sell tacky jewellery on a shopping channel or something? (I never watch them). She has a low level of fame and is about as far from a 'national treasure' as you could imagine. Unless you have no clue what the phrase actually means in the UK?

I don't really have a problem with her comments on Adele because they were simply banal, unfunny and about as cutting as candy floss.

by Anonymousreply 3203/02/2013

As posted on another Rivers thread, the best way to piss off Joan is to comment that her daughter is horse-faced.

by Anonymousreply 3303/02/2013

People get made fun of for all sorts of reasons all the time. This Adele can't be touched thing is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3403/02/2013

LOL! So glad someone is calling out this old washed up cunt! She can always dish it out, but if you make fun of her or her no-talent daughter, all hell breaks lose.

by Anonymousreply 3503/02/2013

R23, Nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 3603/02/2013

Jackie Mason pissed off the brits and he is unemployable now as well- they should just move in together

by Anonymousreply 3703/02/2013

Joan Rivers is not a "national treasure" in Britain.

Adele however, is.

by Anonymousreply 3803/02/2013

Didn't Edie Falco make similar comments years ago? Joan criticized her appearance at the Emmys and Edie was really hurt and basically said someone who's had so much surgery to alter her appearance should know better than to make fun of anyone else's.

by Anonymousreply 3903/02/2013

Rivers does not donate to the GOP. Say what you will about her, she is a well-documented liberal.

by Anonymousreply 4003/02/2013

I think Adele is great and Joan Rivers is irrelevant.Who the hell cares about JR's paltry jokes. Adele is on top of the world, and likely won't birth some Melissa. The Germans can take it. They are a thriving country despite their history.

Still, I cracked up at R23's jokes.

by Anonymousreply 4103/02/2013

Good for Edie, and Joan could only dream of looking so good.

She especially went after Janeane Garofalo, calling her a pig. That was some really vicious, uncomfortable bullying. She also held a grudge against Gillian Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 4203/02/2013

Rivers tries to have it both ways. She wants to be acknowledged as having paved the way for female comics, yet is one of the most sexist comics out there.

by Anonymousreply 4303/02/2013

Joan Rivers is one of those jealous, bitter people who thinks any other woman's success comes as a detriment to her.

by Anonymousreply 4403/02/2013

I thought r1 had just dropped the word "Adele" before "is a national treasure." I still think that's where the confusion is coming from. Obviously it makes a lot more sense than saying Joan is a British national treasure, when she's a native US citizen.

by Anonymousreply 4503/02/2013

Joan is, however, well-loved in Britain. She goes over at least twice a year and she tried out her play there a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4603/02/2013

[quote]Joan is, however, well-loved in Britain.

That ended after her tasteless Diana jokes she made last year.

by Anonymousreply 4703/02/2013

Adele IS fat. You can control your weight. It's different to make fun of someone for something they can't change, like if they're facially unattractive or something. But you're not born fat. And don't tell me Adele would be as popular if she wasn't fat, it's part of why people want to believe she's this great singer (which she isn't). She uses her size to make money. So I don't feel bad if other people do as well.

by Anonymousreply 4803/02/2013

"Rivers does not donate to the GOP. Say what you will about her, she is a well-documented liberal."

She has specifically stated that she is a Republican--since the 1980's at least. No 30+ year Republican is a liberal anything.

by Anonymousreply 4903/02/2013

"What is her song? Rolling In the Deep? She should add fried chicken," is just not funny.

Add fried chicken? To what? Where's the joke?

The fat jokes in R23 are pretty funny, but you can put anyone's name in there.

Even "Rolling in the Mud" is funny.

Rivers has just lost the thread.

Put her out to pasture.

by Anonymousreply 5003/02/2013

She's a well-documented Republican, it's never been a secret. Considering she started out in bohemian Greenwich Village, she's as bad as the hippies who ended up going Republican.

by Anonymousreply 5103/02/2013

When she dies, she'll have left this world with a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

She was once clever, bold and witty and now she is just old-hat. Have you seen the shitty movie on cable right now that she did, "Don't get me started"? It is total crap, humor from the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 5203/02/2013

Adele is so fat she puts mayonnaise on aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 5303/02/2013

Adele is so fat she's got more chins than a hong kong phone book.

by Anonymousreply 5403/02/2013

I stand corrected. I just googled it, and she stated in 2002 that she was a Republican. She voted for Obama though. But if this stupid bitch is a Republican, how can we stand her at all??? I've completely written the harpy off now. If I had known this sooner, I'd never have made allowances for her. Stupid, shrewish bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5503/02/2013

[quote] Nothing she said was any worse than the shit that's said here on a daily basis, so clean your own asses before you worry about someone elses. by: You're all hypocrites.

This.

by Anonymousreply 5603/02/2013

[quote]This reminds me of how people on dl can slam everyone in threads, and be racist as hell, but let anyone say something they don't like, or agree with, and THEY go ballistic, crying homophobe, or in the case of a gay offender, self hating homophobe.

This too.

by Anonymousreply 5703/02/2013

Joan Rivers is a nasty cunt. But the worst thing about her is that she is so terribly unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 5803/02/2013

Joan can dish it out but she can't take it (unless it's from someone she considers to be a friend). I remember reading that someone make a joke about her husband killing himself and she went ballistic.

by Anonymousreply 5903/02/2013

Agree R56.

by Anonymousreply 6003/02/2013

Agree, R60.

by Anonymousreply 6103/03/2013

I remember around 6-8 years ago? Joan made fun of some actress's hair, I don't remember who it was, at an award show and the actress was crying and she said, I'm wearing a wig because I just went through chemotherapy.

BTW, Joan dislikes fat people. What is so ironic, in addition to Joan selling jewelry on QVC, she sells clothes and they go up to plus sizes for women. So fat women's money are good, but in the meantime she thinks they are disgusting, and the butt of jokes? NOW THAT IS HYPOCRITICAL!

Also, I once channel surfed and came across TMZ which I never watch, but they had camera men following and filming Joan coming out of a restaurant. One of the cameramen made a crack about her daughter and Joan hit the ceiling. The guy said, hey Joan! you cut others to shreds and sometimes their children, yet when it comes to your daughter you can't take a joke? I don't like Jack Nicholson, but he went to some award's show with his two kids who were around 12-13 years old at the time. Joan's daughter was on Fashion Police criticizing his kids,and Melissa said, oh! what are those kids wearing?! they are not very good looking.

However, at the same time, the British and Australians piss me off because whenever there is something going on in the US politically, a national disaster, etc. those shit heads get on a plane and fly over here, and get on the act and they are not even American citizens! They criticize and comment on American political figures, yet American people don't know and don't give a rat's ass who is in British Parliament nor what they do! Bono gets invited to the White House, and he has advised presidents on various issues, yet he is from Ireland and a singer in a band!

The poster who is claiming people on here who are hypocrites, screw you because you are lumping everyone together. I along with SOME others on this thread I'm sure, don't go on the war path ,and attack people for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 6203/03/2013

Adam Hills is adorable. Cute and funny. Even without the foot.

by Anonymousreply 6303/03/2013

R44 You nailed it!

by Anonymousreply 6403/03/2013

Back in the day, there were many people who called Miss Rivers on her Elizabeth Taylor fat jokes. It was a pretty big deal, and if the internet had existed, it would have been very big; she would have been called out just as much as she is now.

by Anonymousreply 6503/03/2013

R62 is an isolationist bozo.

Of course people from the outside the US should be allowed to talk about American politics. Afterall thanks to you Americans, a large chunk of the world is suffering from the financial global crisis.

by Anonymousreply 6603/03/2013

I saw Adam Hills at the West Belfast Feile some years ago. He was hilarious. He used stories about his foot in his stand up so isn't averse to using disability and appearance in his comedy but I think it has more to do with the intention behind it. Joan Rivers can come across as down right vindictive.

by Anonymousreply 6703/03/2013

Adam Hills is a very different kind of stand-up comedian to JR. Much gentler and more pc. He maybe doesn't like her style of humour.

The Adele fat jokes aren't funny. Not as they're offensive - it's just so tired. Like Seth Macfarlane's Oscar humour. Like something out of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 6803/03/2013

R4 Adam hills is one of this generations great comedians... after spending nearly 20 years on the international comedy circuit he became a sensation in Australia hosting the original series of a music quiz show called "Spicks and Specks". He's cultivated an image of a nice, funny guy who occasionally goes off on what can only be described as "Rants".

Just after 9/11 he "come out" as disabled (although he probably wouldn't use that term) as he has an artificial leg, which opened doors for him in terms of things like commentating an the para-olympics etc...

Go to youtube and do a search for words like "characterful" and "joymonger" and you will find more comedy than Joan Rivers has produced in her entire, bile-ridden, cheap-shot-laden, career.

by Anonymousreply 6903/15/2014

How can you be a national treasure of a country you are not from? Her husband (who predeceased her in suicide) was English but she is an American. I fear that the English love for Joan is like the French love for Jerry Lewis is a misconception. Joan has not been funny in decades and one never hears about her performing in any large venues of importance. She also does seem remarkably friendless. How old is Elaine Stritch? How many people come out to say how great she is?

by Anonymousreply 7003/15/2014

I think the focus on Adele's unpleasant appearance is completely wrong. It's irrelevant.

Focus instead on her grating, throat-destroying, ear-bothering skreeking, the whiny stupidity of her lyrics, and the too-dull melodies she caterwauls through. Over and over.

But please don't use the "she's popular and therefore great" argument. Hitler was popular, too.

Adele is boring and irritating. The fact that she can't control her appetite just shows she's no more or less pitiful than most women. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 7103/15/2014

I love Joan's comedy and I love Adele's humor.

I think it's different between making jokes about Liz Taylor and Adele is that Adele's songs touch something very deep inside us, a longing that is so painful.

I grew up knowing who Liz was BECAUSE of Joan's fat jokes.

And, of course, for her run as Helena Cassadeen.

Cassadine.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2014

Joan does have a sacred cow- the British Royals.

Notice how one of the most photographed woman in the world- The Duchess of Cambridge, never is picked on, nor are other members of Charles immediate or extended family.

Reportedly she's close friends with Charles and Camilla, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2014

She admits that she is close to Charles. I have heard her say it on the Fashion Police.

However, I don't think it has anything to do with why Kate isn't "picked on". There are supermodels that are more photographed than Kate Middleton, and she rarely mentions or focuses on them either. Plus, there is no reason that I can think of that she should be picked on. Her outfits are never egregiously bad; she isn't a bitch (unlike Madonna); she doesn't make spectacles of herself in public.

by Anonymousreply 7503/15/2014

Thank you, R71.

by Anonymousreply 7603/15/2014

Like Rod Stewart, Adele sounds as if she just finished smoking three packs of cigarettes and a few cigars. That's followed by a quick gargle with ground glass.

by Anonymousreply 7703/15/2014

[quote]Like Rod Stewart, Adele sounds as if she just finished smoking three packs of cigarettes and a few cigars. That's followed by a quick gargle with ground glass.

Umm, have you heard Joan Rivers lately?

by Anonymousreply 7803/15/2014

[quote]Umm, have you heard Joan Rivers lately?

Umm, I haven't heard her singing on any albums. Umm, do you have a links to her umm music hits?

by Anonymousreply 7903/15/2014

R79 Umm, where did I say she sang? Umm, I'm referring to her piece of shit voice because she's a host/comedian and uses it in her line of work.

Umm, Joan Rivers stans are so sad.

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2014

[quote]Umm, where did I say she sang? Umm, I'm referring to her piece of shit voice because she's a host/comedian and uses it in her line of work.

Ummmmmmm, I mentioned Adele who is mainly known for ummmmm singing and was being ummmmm compared to Joan who doesn't ummmmmm sing. Ummmmm, I added that Adele is similar to another ummmmmmmmmmmm ciggy singer, Stewart, with a similar ummmmm ground-glass singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 8203/15/2014

[quote]Joan Rivers made so many fat jokes about Elizabeth Taylor 25 years ago and it was no big deal.

Emphasis on 25 years ago.

The times have changed. So have people's senses of humor. Joan has not.

by Anonymousreply 8303/15/2014

I detest Rivers. She is a truly disgusting person. She did Liz Taylor fat jokes for 2 decades after Taylor lost the weight and did hairy Madonna also decades after the hair was gone. The cruel jokes weren't funny in the first place but my god, at least keep your act current.

Also Joan is one of the most physically ugly people I've ever seen and now she doesn't even look human anymore and she has such an ugly kid. She is the last person who could afford to make jokes about what someone else looks like.

by Anonymousreply 8403/15/2014

R84 What I detest about her is how she's allowed to make fun of anyone, but nobody can make fun of her or her precious daughter. Talk about a bunch of bullshit. Did she stop to think that the people she makes fun of are the son or daughter of someone and that their parents don't enjoy hearing jokes about their kids? She's such a hypocritical bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8503/15/2014

[quote]Joan Rivers made so many fat jokes about Elizabeth Taylor 25 years ago and it was no big deal

What does Elizabeth Taylor put on her hamburger?

A hot dog.

by Anonymousreply 8603/15/2014

In fact Taylor resented the jokes then and forever more - never forgave Joan.

by Anonymousreply 8703/15/2014

I'm fat myself. And I don't find the fat jokes directed at Adele at all funny.

But I do have to say that I still love Joan, warts and all. You can't be truly funny and hold back in the interest of political correctness. It's a comedy killer.

by Anonymousreply 8903/15/2014

Elizabeth Taylor has a bumper sticker that says My other car is a refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 9003/15/2014

[quote]Elizabeth Taylor has a bumper sticker that says My other car is a refrigerator.

Was that really one of her "jokes"? That doesn't even make any sense, let alone funny.

Guess she was a shitty comic back then too.

by Anonymousreply 9103/15/2014

Elizabeth Taylor is so fat . . .

She has more chins than a Chinese phone book.

She puts mayonnaise on an aspirin.

She stands in front of the microwave and screams, "HURRY!"

She goes to McDonald's just to watch the numbers on the arch change.

When they pierced her ears, gravy came out.

Her thighs are going condo.

She mooned Europe.

by Anonymousreply 9203/15/2014

Yes, that was one of her jokes.

It was a period when people drove shitty cars with bumper stickers that read something like My other car is a Rolls.

So it was funny at the time... that Liz should drive a Refrigerator (fat}

by Anonymousreply 9303/15/2014

I hate the PC as well, but tell me, why does Joan lose a tit when anyone jokes about her horse-faced daughter?

by Anonymousreply 9503/15/2014

Oh puh-lease, R94. Cut the "PC" shit when we all know that this old bitch would be whining if someone really went to (verbal)town on her... and her ne'er-do-well daughter.

by Anonymousreply 9603/15/2014

But I guess Adele isn't someone's daughter

by Anonymousreply 9703/15/2014

[quote] She puts mayonnaise on an aspirin

I find this one particularly amusing.

by Anonymousreply 9803/15/2014

And the aspirins Joan and her daughter take are made with the bark from the branches of the ugly tree they both hit on the way down.

by Anonymousreply 9903/15/2014

The problem is always what's funny in one era is not necessarily funny in another. It's not the advent of political correctness; it's just tastes change.

Joan was hilarious in 1982; but now it's 2014.

by Anonymousreply 10003/15/2014

One of the comments on YouTube about Joan said:

[quote]Poor Joan, she sounds like shes' just been gang banged in the mouth.

Now THAT'S funny (and so true)! But old Joan and Melissa would probably start going off because heaven forbid anyone talk about them.

by Anonymousreply 10203/15/2014

WW r80

by Anonymousreply 10403/15/2014

Joan invited Liz to dinner one time.

"She said, 'What can I bring?' I said: how about dessert?

"She drove up in a pastry truck."

by Anonymousreply 10503/15/2014

It's funny, I suppose.

I like Joan; if I didn't, I'd find her protectiveness of Melissa hypocritical.

But because I like her I see it as: it's her DAUGHTER. Of COURSE she's going to want to protect her and not hold her up to the same standards.

by Anonymousreply 10603/15/2014

The Joan stans on here are so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 10703/15/2014

The original rant copy was removed.

Dick, withered old cunt, you choose.

by Anonymousreply 10803/15/2014

Tiresome that a Jewish woman is interpreted as greedy for money.

by Anonymousreply 10903/15/2014

They truly are, R107.

Too stupid to know that this isn't about being offended by anything she said about Adele, but knowing full well that she's a hypocritical, old asshole who has thrown a hissy fit if anyone points out the obvious when it comes to her own daughter.

She can dish it, but can't take it - like most comedians.

by Anonymousreply 11003/15/2014

[quote]But because I like her I see it as: it's her DAUGHTER. Of COURSE she's going to want to protect her and not hold her up to the same standards.

Then STFU about thinking this is about Adele or being too "PC" when it's about Joan (and her fans') blatant hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 11103/15/2014

R110 Exactly! But I guess to some of these old queens on here, old, hypocritical, Republican Joan is their god (for whatever reason).

by Anonymousreply 11203/15/2014

Come to think of it, Adam Hills does have that Chicken Little thing going for him.

by Anonymousreply 11303/15/2014

[quote]Tiresome that a Jewish woman is interpreted as greedy for money.

There is usually great truth in stereotypes--otherwise they would not be stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 11403/16/2014

[quote]That is one of the dumbest statements I've heard today. The bitch is 79. Who the hell has lots of friends and relatives at 79, they're all dead.

That's one of the most absurd statements I've ever read on DL!

Of course, one can be old, yet still have family and/or friends! My elderly neighbor is in his 90s, he has children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, as well as nieces and nephews.

Face it, Joan has no one but Melissa because people who aren't on her payroll don't want to be around her, she probably doesn't have many friends due to her horrid personality.

Wasn't her last boyfriend a man without a leg? Yet she's making jokes about the disabled?! She really is nuts.

I was a kid when I first saw Joan on Carson and other talk shows, I don't recall her ever being a totally vicious insult comic to the extreme she is today.

Joan and that fat Osborne daughter have absolutely NO business commenting on fashion. Period.

As for Joan making fun of some actresses bad hair, it's interesting to note that she herself has hair loss! Joan wears clip in extensions (she took them out on some show!) and has been hawking some scalp cover powder product for years! Yet she's bringing up some other woman's bad hair or hair loss?!! What an insane woman.

Calling Joan a hypocrite is putting it mildly. The woman needs to retire already.

by Anonymousreply 11503/16/2014

Joan is a vile old Rethuglican cunt who destroyed her homely face by making it even worse. She should routine. She's become an ugly old joke.

by Anonymousreply 11603/16/2014

Cholesterol is clogging up my heart Bacon, eggs, and hash browns Baby, that is just the start What I have for lunch that day depends upon my mood Don't ever underestimate what I can do to food

by Anonymousreply 11703/16/2014

There was a time when JR's style of put-down humor was considered funny by many people. The late night shows always featured comedians like Don Rickles and Joan Rivers.

It's not as popular now because many people see it as mean-spirited. The fact that Rivers cannot tolerate other comedians using the same humor when it comes to her and her family makes it obvious she knows it's mean. I didn't have much respect for her, but what little I had is gone because of that.

by Anonymousreply 11803/16/2014

The reason this generation of special fucking snowflakes don't think Joan Rivers is funny is because they have been raised by helicopter parents who RUINED them. Spoiled them, catered to them and made them intolerable idiots who take offense if you blink in their general direction the "wrong way." Joan is, was, and will always be hilarious. And spot on. It doesn't hurt the planet to be kinder and gentler, sure, but COMEDY is born of pain. Sarcasm is not about warm fuzzies. Insult humor has its place, too. Those who fan themselves and clutch their pearls are weak sisters.

by Anonymousreply 11903/16/2014

Comedy is born from causing pain to others? That's a new one. I guess I'll have to think about that.

by Anonymousreply 12003/16/2014

R118 Today's comedy is ten times more mean spirited than Rickles and Rivers were back in the day. That decrepit cooze bag Chelsea Handler for starters. Or what about Sarah Silverman or Lisa Lampanelli?

by Anonymousreply 12103/16/2014

r121, they may be cooze bags but they are far from decrepit.

by Anonymousreply 12203/16/2014

R120, what the hell do you think a comic INSULT is? And "pain" is stretching it. Last I heard, comedians aren't out there physically assaulting people. Comedians come from painful childhoods and are, quite often, unhappy people. Think about the routines of most comedians/comediennes. They discuss the absurdities of other people, of life, of every day occurrences and how much it IRRITATES or annoys or angers them. There is "pain" in living. We all insult each other, sometimes, even if it is only in our heads. Joan has always been known as "the person who SAYS what we are thinking." It is shocking, sometimes, sure, but the human condition is complex, too. People have different senses of humor. Joan is not everyone's cup of tea but that is fine. I don't find several comedians funny, either. Never thought Jackie Mason was ever funny. Jerry Seinfeld quit being funny as soon as his series wrapped. I don't find Chelsea Handler one bit entertaining. Never thought David Brenner especially funny. But others did and do. There is room for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 12303/17/2014

"We all insult each other, sometimes, even if it is only in our heads."

Do you go to a special yoga studio to learn such twisty logic? After the '80s Joan got progressively meaner and less funny. Now she's just a shrieking harpy, raging against the vicissitudes of time by doing two things: mutilating herself over and over and being incredulous that women who do NOT conform to standards of beauty Joan subscribes to having success. She's fucking PISSED a fat girl like Adele has great financial success. All without starving herself! How very dare she? Joan probably hasn't eaten solid food since 1972.

by Anonymousreply 12403/17/2014

I remember that Rivers used to make jokes about the British royal family.

Specifically, on her comedy album "What Becomes a Semi-Legend Most", Joan makes fun of Charles as being secretly gay and having ears big enough to play ping-pong without a paddle.

Regarding the Queen, Joan describes Elizabeth II as frumpy and in need of shaving her legs.

Obviously, the royal family has a great sense of humor, given that Joan has given royal command performances.

by Anonymousreply 12503/17/2014

R124, and YOUR anger and insults towards Joan are different than the stuff SHE says? At least SHE is funny.

Oh, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 12603/17/2014

Saw her hawking some gaudy jewelry and caftans on QVC and she really seems senile. She was so out of it that the host had to speak for her when they took calls.

by Anonymousreply 12703/17/2014

Joan Rivers a "national treasure" in the UK, [R1]? Don't think so. I haven't seen anything of her in years - in fact, I thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 12803/17/2014

National treasure might be a bit much, but Rivers is very well known - she still does all the talk shows and stand up things like Live at the Apollo in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 12903/17/2014

Where was Adam Hills when Tracy Morgan wanted to shoot his son in the head if he was gay? No where.

And, why is 30 Rock with all of those homophobes on Logo? Baldwin, Morgan, etc.? Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 13003/17/2014

[quote]Tiresome that a Jewish woman is interpreted as greedy for money.

You think Andrea Mitchell married Alan Greenspan for his looks?

by Anonymousreply 13103/17/2014

R125, she's up Camilla's ass now, that's why she says some of the most vicious things about her step-children's dead mother.

by Anonymousreply 13203/17/2014

R1, Joan Rivers is not considered a national treasure in Britain. Where the hell do you get that from? She occasionally appears on the Graham Norton Show and is good for a laugh. She went to one of Prince Charle's birthday parties, so has gained a foothold into royal circles (which is bizarre, but the again the Royals can be remarkably naive when it comes to some celebs they invite to bashes).

by Anonymousreply 13303/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.