Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DOWNTON ABBEY Season 3 - PART TWO

The other thread is full.

So Shirl is coming back? Will she be singing "If My Friends Could See Me Now" as she frolics in the castle?

by Anonymousreply 1305/14/2013

She was absolutely wasted last season. The writers could have done so much with her character, but they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

I admit I was disappointed when it became obvious she wasn't going to be a regular character. Surely they'll have her back at some point but they need to incorporate her into every show in some way. I suggest some big scandal in America that forces her to flee to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

I don't like Shirley McLaine and I never have. Her success is a mystery to me. She is one of the most unappealing people in Hollywood with her pinched face and her wiseguy attitude.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

Interesting developments being lined up for Series 4, as per report in paper today ... as at link.

Lady Mary will have new suitors - good-looking Tom Cullin from that gay indie film WEEKEND, and another old Eton actor Julian Ovenden.

Another Dame joins the cast - Harriet Walter, who is terrific, and also Joanna David (wife of Edward Fox), both upstairs.

Downstairs will be a new valet played by gay actor Nigel Harman, quite dishy - he used to be in Eastenders soap, and busy in theatre. Perhaps here at last is some love interest for Thomas ?

and O'Brien is going to disappear! - the actress is leaving the show too.

Could be a lot of mileage in it yet then !

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

I agree r3 - I never liked McLaine either, any of the other actresses who appeared at the same time (Lee Remick, Joanne Woodward, adult Natalie Wood, Eva Marie Saint) are all much more interesting and attractive.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

She is also a certified idiot with her interplanetary mumbo jumbo past lives shtick. I can't beleve people bought her books. There are thousands of suckers born every second in the US.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

Why a new valet? Thomas and Mr Bates are both valets for one man -- 'is Lordship.

Matthew wouldn't have a valet and now he's dead.

I don't think Branson would allow a valet anywhere near him.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

Nigel Harman.

That's all I need to know.

Bring on Season 4!!!

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

They need to bring in Stephanie Beacham as Robert's evil cousin Sable.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

Thomas is no longer the Earl's valet, only Bates is valet. Thomas is now the Underbutler (think Carson's assistant).

Matthew did indeed have a valet, it was Moseley. Who is now totally without a job - Matthew is dead and he (presumably) can't go back to his old job as Mrs. Crawley's butler -- she seems happier with a cook/housekeeper instead of a butler.

Whats poor Moseley going to do?

The new valet isn't necessarily part of the Downton staff - he could be the valet of Mary's love interet, Lord Anthony Gillingham. Who, being the younger son of either a Duke or a Marquess (the only way he could have a courtesy title), would most certainly have a valet.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

Season 4 to premiere (in the US) on January 5.

by Anonymousreply 1105/14/2013

I thought Shirley MacLaine was terrible in that role. Much too modern-thinking, because after all, her character was party to the marriage of her daughter ($) to his lordship (title). She spent a couple episodes making snide remarks about "her" money supporting Downton when it was actually her *husband's* money.

Sad to see OBrien leave the show, she was my favorite. I love how she talked without moving her lips.

by Anonymousreply 1205/14/2013

R12, we can blame the Shirley MacLaine character being too modern on the writing, not on her performance. Also, the character did often refer to the money as "my husband's money."

by Anonymousreply 1305/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.