Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Young conservatives battle the inhumanity of a bag ban in Austin

AUSTIN -- Get them while you can; soon, single-use plastic and paper bags will be a thing of the past in Austin. The bag ban ordinance goes into effect March 1.

On the University of Texas campus, the Young Conservatives of Texas are protesting the ban by passing out plastic bags.

"Going to fabric bags isn't a step towards progress," said James Lamey, recruitment director for the Young Conservatives of Texas. "It's a step towards collusion and arbitrating the purchase of a good, because you can't just have a reusable bag. You're going to have to purchase one from whatever grocery store you go to."

But their efforts were being met with opposition.

"It just doesn't make sense to me because they're saying that we're limiting freedom of choice, but you can use these bags if you want," said UT student Eric Nikolaides, who supports the ban.

Across town, some shoppers at the HEB grocery store in the Hancock Center showed their support of the ban by bringing in their reusable bags.

"I want to do my part to help the environment," said Wayne Foster.

While others are using the day to stock up.

"I asked them to double bag everything today so I have extra bags," said Diane Janes.

HEB's employees are gearing up for the big switch. Produce bags are still allowed, but now there are meat packing bags in the stores. Displays are full of reusable bags, some as cheap as 25 cents. And the retailer even plans to pass out 400,000 free bags for the first three days of the ban.

There's even a backup plan for shoppers.

"As an option of last resort, if they forgot their bags at home and don't want to buy more reusable bags, they can request to use the emergency access fee for $1 per order and we can give them single-use paper and plastic bags if they absolutely need it," said HEB Director of Public Affairs Leslie Sweet.

Money from those sales will be used to for "free bag Fridays" once a month. And the paper and plastic will be kept out of sight people will hopefully keep plastic off their minds.

by Anonymousreply 6003/05/2013

Young conservatives are the stupidest of the stupid

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

'bout time

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

Does Austin have a law requiring owners to pick up their dog poop? If not, then the bags can be banned.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

One problem though is buying meat and reusing those bags.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

"Going to fabric bags isn't a step towards progress," said James Lamey, recruitment director for the Young Conservatives of Texas. "It's a step towards collusion and arbitrating the purchase of a good"

This assumes, wrongly, that plastic and paper bags aren't goods. They are. And the store has to pay for them. And that cost is passed on to the consumer. On top of the costs to the environment which we all have to pay for.

Yet another example of short-sighted idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

Why don't the "young conservatives" want to conserve? Conservative is an oxymoron.

I think we're forgetting the source of the true problem fueling this debate. It is the one we don’t want to admit; the way we all live in western cultures. The problem is, we purchase too much and consume too much in the first place, and therefore we have more refuse and more to recycle.

If the conservatives were really conservative they would fight to bring back bottle deposits, eliminate plastic bottles, go back to returning milk bottles, etc.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

Just a bunch of Rosa Parks, aren't they?

Fucking idiots with an idiotic cause.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

I say take them all and stick them in the north Pacific garbage zone in a rowboat surrounded by square miles of plastic and let them try to row out.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

Conservatives are pricks. They're nasty, selfish, greedy people. They care nothing about freedom, only their own wealth and privilege.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

We were going to have a bag ban in Toronto, but Conservatives worked to overturn the new law.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

The stores need to just adopt the German policy of charging for bags. It's not the price, but the fact that people pay for them. When people pay for them, they reuse them it's simple.

Of course, in Germany , the high end markets, like Kafer give the bags for free....they are paper.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

R6 --

I saw that young conservative idiot say that in his interview and his statement made no sense to me.

I think I understand his general opinion he was trying to convey, but he picked the wrong words, wouldn't you agree?

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

[quote] Get them while you can; soon, single-use plastic and paper bags will be a thing of the past in Austin

Why paper bags?

My village outlawed plastic bags, but you can buy a large paper bag for a nickel. Paper bags decompose and don't fly up into trees and become shredded eyesores.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

It's almost as if there was a time when we didn't have plastic bags.

(eyeroll) Everyone lived without them for years - paper is fine as most have handles nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

We all need to do our part. It's not even much of a sacrifice. I'm pretty sure everyone has fabric bags around the house. I've got a green recycling bag that I keep in the car for when I go shopping. It's not a big deal. Times have changed.

The other ban I would like to see is the ginormous telephone books. What a waste of paper. So outdated.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

Our local chain grocer gave out free cloth bags for three days. That got a lot of people using them. I've used two cloth bags for over two years.

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

Mah plastic bags! Mah plastic bags! Yer infringin' on mah constitutional rights! Gimme mah plastic bags!

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2013

[quote] Conservatives are pricks. They're nasty, selfish, greedy people. They care nothing about freedom, only their own wealth and privilege.

And the young ones are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2013

Rolling Stone did a great article about plastic bags last year. The most interesting nugget was that "The Plastic Bag Industry" has hired the same lobbyist who the tobacco companies had hired in the 90s to tell us that cigarettes were relatively harmless.

by Anonymousreply 2003/02/2013

R3 doesn't think very clearly.

The reusable bags cost very little, and can be used over and over and over, driving their marginal cost to near zero.

And they don't have the long-term economic and environmental costs either. Which means upwards pressure on prices in other areas will decrease.

Conservatives are such short-term thinkers. Also known as morons.

I totally agree with R1.

by Anonymousreply 2203/02/2013

The funny thing about these idiots is that they're under this delusion that protecting the environment is a "liberal" thing as though a political ideology should be attached to staying the fuck alive and making sure the earth remains inhabitable.

Do they think being a Republican means they can drink dirty/toxic water or breathe in dirty air without it affecting their health? Do they think they're immune from pollution? No amount of money will protect them from pollution because pollution cannot be contained in the fucking air.

I thank God every day that I'm not as stupid as these people. I'm thoroughly embarrassed for them.

by Anonymousreply 2303/02/2013

One of our change gives you a small credit (like 2 or 3 cents) for each reusable bag you bring. They also offer a choice of paper or plastic.

by Anonymousreply 2403/02/2013

That should read "one of our chains."

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2013

See article titled, Are bans on plastic bags making people sick?

Story goes on to say that data is incomplete but it does raise the idea of washing your reusable bags regularly. People were getting sick from food borne illness (E coli) from reusing their bags but not washing them regularly.

"Researchers have found that reusable grocery bags tend to contain plenty of bacteria—not surprisingly, it’s a bad idea to carry meat or fish in a cloth sack and then reuse it without washing."

by Anonymousreply 2603/02/2013

If you think this is about going green you're naive as hell. These are corporations looking to save money.

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2013

The dream of Portland is alive in Austin.

by Anonymousreply 2803/02/2013

We've been over this many times before - reusable bags vs plastic aren't green and are unsanitary.

Conservatives are often insance, but not in this case. Honestly, this kind of mindless slavishness to trendy foolishness from progressives drives me just as bugfuck as do the conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 2903/02/2013

I use a big Ikea bag I bought for 59 cents for non perishables and a trader joe freezer bag for cold items. I sometimes forget and leave my bags in the car, I just tell the checkout person to let me put everything back in the shopping cart after scanning and I'll put them in my bags when I get back to my car.

by Anonymousreply 3003/02/2013

People in Europe have been using their own grocery sacks for decades. They're not dropping dead of e Coli.

by Anonymousreply 3103/02/2013

All the more reason to become a vegetarian.

And who puts leaky meat packages in their bag?

by Anonymousreply 3203/02/2013

I used to live in a city that didn't allow plastic bags.

I just bought a box of them online and kept them in the back of my SUV for supermarket visits. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 3403/02/2013

Exactly r31.

Some on this thread are just hiding behind perceived unsanitary bag to cover their own laziness.

I've been taking my own bag --cotton canvas by the way-- to the grocery on and off for six years now. Never have I gotten sick.

by Anonymousreply 3503/02/2013

Our city council did that in our city too. It was irritating and nannying but everybody got used to it. Most of the time I forget my bags and end up buying plastic anyway for a nickel a piece.

by Anonymousreply 3603/02/2013

How hard is it throw a fabric bag in the wash every once in a while?

by Anonymousreply 3703/02/2013

It isn't, r37! It's just too much trouble apparently for some.

by Anonymousreply 3803/02/2013

I think it's a good idea but I get the grousing... there are so many big problems government can't or won't tackle that they get up people's noses with things like bag bans (which are, in fact, very good things.)

If politicians weren't so discredited, they'd get a lot more praise for moves like this.

by Anonymousreply 3903/02/2013

More work for us.

by Anonymousreply 4003/02/2013

Thank you, R31.

R26, perhaps all of this chicken little bullshit is the reason we can no longer fight disease and everyone's immune system has gone to shit.

Like R31 said, are you hearing about people in other parts of the world dropping dead from using reusable bags? It's more likely the junkfood people are putting into tose bags that are killing them, not the bags themselves.

This is media bullshit on the same level as when they do idiotic reports about how organic foods are not more nutritious than non-organics - because heaven forbid they report on the actual reason people choose organic food.

by Anonymousreply 4103/02/2013

R29, you're kind of full of shit, you know that?

Yes, they are more green. And they're only unsanitary if you never wash them. People who never wash their towels, clothes, bedding, dishes, etc., will also get sick.

Call it Darwinism in action. If you're too fucking lazy to wash your damn bags, then you probably deserve to be sick.

by Anonymousreply 4303/02/2013

I *really* hope R33 was a parody post. Because otherwise... are you fucking kidding me with that?

by Anonymousreply 4403/02/2013

[quote]I've used two cloth bags for over two years.

Ewww, you better toss those out. E. Coli breeding grounds.

by Anonymousreply 4503/02/2013

Americans really are stupid and lazy. The planet is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 4703/02/2013

If y'all didn't eat so much, you wouldn't need bags.

by Anonymousreply 4803/02/2013

Um, idiot? You know there's not just one type of reusable bag, right?

I use canvas.

by Anonymousreply 5003/02/2013

Are you saying that plastic supermarket bags are not a petroleum product and that they're all made in the U.S., R49?

by Anonymousreply 5103/02/2013

I like reusable bags, they are easier to carry and hold a lot more stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5303/02/2013

R49 is retarded.

by Anonymousreply 5403/02/2013

This is an excellent reusable shopping bag.

It hooks over the side rails of your shopping cart.

Buy one, get one for a friend!

by Anonymousreply 5503/02/2013

Conservatives are such idiots. I'd like to say "Especially Young Conservatives", but their elder members in Congress keep proving the old conservatives are every bit as stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5603/03/2013

So, the reality is that the grocery stores have been giving away free reusable bags for nearly a month, and are continuing to do so on weekends through this month.

The reality is that plastic bags aren't banned, just the thin single-use ones. Thicker, easier to recycle, multi-use plastic bags are available for a quarter each if your forget yours.

Fabric bags are a dollar.

Paper bags may be used/offered if they're made from recycled paper.

This will be an adjustment, but by no means a hardship on anyone.

And yes, it will improve the environment, though "how much" is certainly arguable.

by Anonymousreply 5703/05/2013

If reusable bags are so great, why aren't more people already using them now? They're obviously not as preferable or convenient to most people so laws MUST be passed to force everyone to use them, personal choice be damned.

Progressives know best how all of us must live. Ptui.

by Anonymousreply 5803/05/2013

We didn't have a nanny state until the professional victims elbowed their way into the country club.

by Anonymousreply 5903/05/2013

Those reusable bags bother me. I would be worried about their sanitation. I use the plastic bags again to pick up after the dog, give them to the neighborhood children to play with etc. They are a waste if you only use them and ditch them. All in all, I would prefer paper bags, but no one here seems to be using them.

by Anonymousreply 6003/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!