Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What famous person do you know or met directly or indirectly?

I knew two olympic figure skaters. I met them. Totally normal.

by Anonymousreply 13906/27/2013

Troll fail.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

ignore r1

carry on

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

OP has never met a grammarian apparently.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

José Ferrer, Janet Blair, Fred Astaire, and Vincent Minelli. Daniel Mann, Lynn Fontanne, Elia Kazan, and dearest Grace Kelly. Louie Schurr, Courtney Burr and Irving Lazar. Anthony Quinn and Rin Tin Tin.

I taught Charlie everything there is to know about name-dropping.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

Jim parsons.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

Most of the domestic on-air CNN personalities. I am a partner to one.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

Is it Anderson, r6?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

R6, can you give us details?

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

Do tell,r6!

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

Lauren Hutton - GIGANTIC BITCH and she has herpes

Paulina Porizkova - wonderful, lovely, funny and sweet

JFK JR - was even better looking in person. Very nice

Barbara and George Bush - they were very nice

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

Second the Lauren Hutton is a bitch comment. I saw her yelling at a man behind the counter at EAT on Madison Avenue. A beautifully dressed woman told her to apologize and learn some manners. LH ignored her. The woman turned out to be Lily Safra.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

Julianne Moore's cousin. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

Frank Sinatra at Ronnie's gubernatorial ball. He sang, he danced.

But why Nancy would want to blow him is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

Would love love love some Lily Safra stories.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

R6 here. We're a female couple, together 5 years. I know Anderson and Wolf and Candy, et al. Have been to events with them and in some cases, dinners in their homes. All of them gracious save for a few. Yeltsin and King have egos you can spot from a Chinese satellite.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

Bette Midler. She was nice to me.

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

r5 what was he like?

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2013

Matt Damon. Love him, great guy, a real straight shooter.Lucy, his wife is great too.

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2013

R19, has Damon or anyone who knows him made comments about his butt? What does it look like in person?

by Anonymousreply 2003/02/2013

"Lauren Hutton - GIGANTIC BITCH"

I'm acquainted with her and I think she's majorly mentally ill. Also a closeted lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 2103/02/2013

He's a genuinely smart, funny, kind person R18. I'm friends with a friend of his, that's how I met him.

by Anonymousreply 2203/02/2013

How do you know Lauren has herpes? She's a gappy girl.

by Anonymousreply 2303/02/2013

George Michael is my cousin.

by Anonymousreply 2403/02/2013

SOOOO You;re the one R17

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2013

Directly. Marlene Dietrich. (lovely). Bea Arthur (kind and really sweet). Sean Connery.( No comment). Honor Blackman ( sweet and a little shy). Sir John Mills ( funny) Barbara Windsor ( kind and caring) Robert Reed (aloof) Sir Michael Redgrave. Glenda Jackson. (lovely, interesting, down to earth) Maxwell Caulfield ( really sweet). Juliet Mills (the nicest, naughtiest person of them all.). Greta Garbo - well, didn't actually "meet", sat next to in a theatre and exchanged a few words.

by Anonymousreply 2603/02/2013

Julianne Moore.......................................................seriously!

by Anonymousreply 2703/03/2013

Charles Shaughnessy

Garrett Dillahunt

Carolyn McCormick

Heather Matarazzo

and . . . . . . . . . . . . DL's beloved, AnnE Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2013

[quote]I know Anderson and Wolf and Candy, et al. Have been to events with them and in some cases, dinners in their homes. All of them gracious save for a few. Yeltsin and King have egos you can spot from a Chinese satellite.

R6/R16, which ones are Republicans? Ok just kidding, but when you say "Yeltsin" do you mean Jessica Yellin and "King" is John King or Larry?

by Anonymousreply 2903/07/2013

Judy Davis, very nice, smart woman. Oliver Stone, way more conservative than I would have expected. Kenneth Branagh, small, but quite good looking for his age. Kristen Stewart, dumb doesn't even come close to describing her. Stephen Dorff, really nice guy. Sofia Coppola, very intelligent woman. Deepak Chopra, very smart man and a great doctor.

by Anonymousreply 3003/07/2013

Judy Garland, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 3103/07/2013

More please!

by Anonymousreply 3203/07/2013

R28 Garrett Dillahunt - is he cute in person?

Jensen Ackles.

by Anonymousreply 3303/07/2013

r30 MORE Judy Davis please!!

by Anonymousreply 3403/07/2013

R26 -- you're Charlie, aren't you? Just admit it.

by Anonymousreply 3503/07/2013

When I was little Gwen Verdon gave me a cat, "Rocks". I remember she was a friendly and lovely woman. In spite of any reputation he might have here on DL, Edward Albee is rather a sweet guy. Whip smart!

by Anonymousreply 3603/07/2013

No, r35, charlie only knows the BIG ones.

by Anonymousreply 3703/07/2013

Helen Hayes...truly gracious

Whoopi Goldberg...very down to earth

Judd Nelson...nice guy

Ally Sheedy...very laid back

Brooke Shields...very sweet and her mother was rather funny.

Ted Kennedy...full of himself

by Anonymousreply 3803/07/2013

My sister's college roomate Alison.. well her friend's mom lived on the same street as Neve Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 3903/07/2013

Met Cameron Diaz in a gym parking lot.

She is a rude, ugly, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 4003/07/2013

By "met" would that include chatting with while having them on a flight? If that qualifies then I've had a number of celebs on flights over the years:

Brooke Shields (polite, gracious), John Forsyth (distinguished, elegant), Ed McMahon (gregarious, tall, had him twice), Donald Sutherland (tall, friendly), William Hurt (looked like a homeless man, odd acting), Jill St. John (petite, slept with a fur coat as a blanket), Gerald Ford (not very personable), Sen. Joe Biden (courteous, obvious hair plugs), Joseph Kennedy jr. (polite, friendly), John Schneider (yum, tall, handsome, friendly, marriage material), Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden, Melissa Etheridge (needs make-up), Stevie Wonder (needs to diet), Sally Fields (tiny), Diane Sawyer (tall, pleasant, wore sunglasses), Geraldo (short,rude), Charlie Daniels (sweet), Deborah Harry (big behind), Bryant Gumbal (surprising nice and handsome),Shirley Jones (adorable), Brian Dennehy (rude ass), Ed Begley Jr. (polite, friendly), Lily Tomlin (nice, somewhat shy, smaller than I thought she would be), Reggie Jackson (rude, arrogant), Jesse Jackson (delusions of grandeur), Spike Lee (short, rude), Hulk Hogan (polite, huge), George Hamilton (tan, dying for attention)

by Anonymousreply 4103/07/2013

Whoops, forgot Jennifer Hudson, had her on recently. Very gracious and nice.

by Anonymousreply 4203/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 4303/07/2013

Satan's bride (Joan Crawford)

by Anonymousreply 4403/07/2013

"Lily Tomlin (nice, somewhat shy, smaller than I thought she would be)"

I remember when someone completely blew their bullshit story of knowing Julie Andrews, saying she was "tiny." She's not. Now we have Lily Tomlin as "small." Neither is she. Dearest, r41, how big did you imagine Lily Tomlin? She's 5'7". Taller than average and certainly not small.

by Anonymousreply 4503/07/2013

Too many to name, so I'll just mention Audrey Hepburn. She personified everything you would want in a legend.

by Anonymousreply 4603/07/2013

George Clinton ( Parliament) Met at a party. We spent a long time setting at a table talking about everything. Both Southerners. He was really sweet.

Jack Kevorkian. Adored him. So warm and kind. Health fanatic.

Aretha Franklin. She was nice to me but in general she has no use for anyone that is white. My daughter was a few months old at the time and I thanked her because my daughter would not cry if I played her music. I worked at Saks in cosmetics at the time and a lot of people loathed her. She was generally rude and one time dropped a cigarette on the floor and put it out with her shoe!

Richard Petty. My cousin but quiet and basically nice. Typical Southerner.

Bobby Labonte. Great guy.

Cher. Enthralled with my daughter. Loved an outfit she wore .

Geoffrey Fieger ( local celeb, original attorney for Jack Kevorkian) bleech. Hit on me and I already knew his piggish rep.

Gov. John Engeler Folloed me around a party followed by his security.

by Anonymousreply 4703/07/2013

"one time dropped a cigarette on the floor and put it out with her shoe!"

WTF? That's the way it was done when you could smoke anywhere. What did they expect her to do? Put it out with her knee?

by Anonymousreply 4803/07/2013

Um, have the class to not smoke in the store or put it out in an ashtray. She has a shit reputation.

by Anonymousreply 4903/07/2013

Michael Phelps (directly)

by Anonymousreply 5003/07/2013

Famous people I've met, Bill Clinton, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift (rude), Alicia Keys, Pink, Andy Samberg(also rude), etc.

by Anonymousreply 5103/07/2013

Interesting about Lauren H. from r21 and others.

When Jodie's brother came out with his book, he mentioned that Jodie had a model over at her place. He kept bugging Jodie to set him up with her but she told him the woman was 'typhoid mary'. I remember guesses included Lauren Hutton since she was rumored to have had an affair with Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 5203/07/2013

Paul Wall. He tried to sell me a pair of grillz.

by Anonymousreply 5303/07/2013

[quote]"Lily Tomlin (nice, somewhat shy, smaller than I thought she would be)"

[quote]I remember when someone completely blew their bullshit story of knowing Julie Andrews, saying she was "tiny." She's not. Now we have Lily Tomlin as "small." Neither is she. Dearest, [R41], how big did you imagine Lily Tomlin? She's 5'7". Taller than average and certainly not small.

Well, you dipshit, the poster never said she is small, but that HE THOUGHT she would be taller.

by Anonymousreply 5403/07/2013

HE needs to answer, fucktard, r54. HOW tall, 6'2"?

by Anonymousreply 5503/07/2013

Lily Tomlin, John Lennon, Connie Francis

by Anonymousreply 5603/07/2013

Ethel Kennedy (met her twice and both times she was very nice and chatty), Lynda Carter (very nice), Brooke Shields, Oprah (short, fat but nice)...a bunch of others I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 5703/07/2013

David Burtka. Incredibly nice.

by Anonymousreply 5803/07/2013

[quote]Kristen Stewart, dumb doesn't even come close to describing her.

This doesn't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 6003/07/2013

R45. As R54 explained Lily Tomlin was not as tall as she appeared to be on TV. I didn't recognize her when she boarded with her partner and they sat in economy. At the end of the flight she went in the restroom and by the time she came out all passengers had deplaned and the crew had their coats on and bags assembled and were ready to go. She was very apologetic and sweet and I told her no big deal, but next time she had to do some Ernestine for us. She laughed and said "it's a deal". Likewise Brooke Shields looks very big on TV like she would have a huge ass but in person she was tall but svelte.

by Anonymousreply 6103/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2013

Judy Davis deets please!

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2013

R6/R16 please come back with more details!

by Anonymousreply 6403/08/2013

Bill Murray supports the nonprofit I work for. He is exactly the way he comes across: funny, brainy, melancholy, little bit horny.

A national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 6503/08/2013

All the guys in Metallica. Sean Penn. Twiggy from Marilyn Manson's band. Peter Coyote. Connie Neilsen. Sammy Hagar. Leonardo DiCaprio. KidRock. Ozzy Osbourne and his family (including Aimee, the quiet one). Faith No More.

by Anonymousreply 6603/08/2013

Went to high school with (and knew to speak to or hang out with): Dan Castellaneta, Kathy Griffin, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Megan Cavanaugh, Helene Alexopoulos (NYC Ballet), Jane Hamilton (novelist--good friend)

College: Not particularly friends with, but was there at the same time with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Brad Hall, John Logan, Bruce Norris (playwright), John Logan (playwright), Laura Innes (she was standoffish, even though we were in classes and plays), Megan Mullaly, Suzie Plakson, Gregg Edelman

by Anonymousreply 6703/08/2013

Daniel Craig- normal, no airs.

Natalie Portman -snobby

Joe Strummer - the coolest, very normal.

Simon Lebon- normal

Julia Stiles- normal and friendly, no airs

by Anonymousreply 6803/08/2013

Any deets on Jensen, R33? He's a topic of some controversy here.

by Anonymousreply 6903/08/2013

[quote]Natalie Portman -snobby

Why am I not surprised?

by Anonymousreply 7003/08/2013

r66, what were Puffy and Patton like?

I've heard conflicting stories about Patton. Some people say he was cool, others a raging dick.

by Anonymousreply 7103/08/2013

Daniel Patrick Moynihan (effin Amazing, warm and fun) Tim Russert (A regular guy, bought a round of drinks) Debbie Reynolds (A movie star that was on) Mario & Andrew Cuomo, both were just as on TV, smart and serious. Al Gore before he was VP. And Barney Frank who is a chaser magnet.

by Anonymousreply 7203/08/2013

John Edwards before he ran for VP. I worked in the Capitol as a staffer. He was charming, real easy on the eyes, and clever (not smart--there's a difference). He used to frequent the gym 2 or 3 times a week. HUNG like a horse, and hairy. Beautiful ass.

Dealt with Orrin Hatch on a professional basis. Creepy. There was just something "off" about the guy.

Ted Kennedy. God rest his soul. Adored him. Loved his booze, but he fought the good fight and treated staffers like real people. Very funny sense of humor, and I used to see his niece Caroline in her uncle's office. She was reserved, but polite.

Years later ran into her on the street in NYC. We chatted and she was very warm. I told her "I miss your Uncle Ted" and her eyes misted over. She loathes publicity but very, very dedicated to particular causes in NYC. A friend of mine who also posts here knows about the charities, and would shriek if I said anything.

by Anonymousreply 7303/09/2013

People will hate me for saying this, but James Franco is a really smart guy. The trouble, I think, is he trying to do everything. He should just focus on one or two things. People get sick of seeing him everywhere (myself included).

by Anonymousreply 7403/09/2013

R73: How long did John Edwards peter appear to be while soft? Is he cut? What color are his pubes? Did he do the towel dance after taking a shower, etc? If you had to guess, how long do you think John is when fully erect?

by Anonymousreply 7503/09/2013

If you guys follow soccer, Alex Ferguson is a cheap cheap (tipper) cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7603/09/2013

Sandra Bullock was in my drama class at East Carolina University in the mid 80's (in North Carolina.) She was very sweet and had lots of friends. There was something special about her even then. It was surreal watching her win her Oscar a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7703/09/2013

To the people that know Lauren Hutton I have a question. A few years ago I read an article about her longterm boyfriend stealing all of money. Any idea what happened andif he did steal the money? TYIA

by Anonymousreply 7803/09/2013

R3, neither have you a grammarian met apparently.

Meaning, use a comma and for Fowler's sake put "apparently" somewhere else, unless you are going for a George Sanders vibe. It seems unlikely, since Mr. Sanders understood the need for commas.

by Anonymousreply 7903/09/2013

[quote]Sandra Bullock was in my drama class at East Carolina University in the mid 80's (in North Carolina.) She was very sweet and had lots of friends.

She seems kind of dour and grumpy now, she never smiles or maybe she's just made at the paparazzi.

by Anonymousreply 8003/10/2013

R 80: I don't know Sandra, but, I think her heated divorce scandal took a toll on her (she was lucky her career wasn't damaged.) She clearly has lots of friends in high places.

by Anonymousreply 8103/11/2013

"Deepak Chopra, very smart man and a great doctor."

Uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 8203/11/2013

I've met Janette Rockefeller, David Rockefeller Jr., Tony Curtis, Kitty Dukakis, Julia Child, H. Ross Perot and a few weeks ago, three time US Olympic xc skiier, John Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 8303/11/2013

George Michael used to be my cousin too, r24!

by Anonymousreply 8403/11/2013

R76, since you wrongly call it soccer, you must be an American complaining that Alex Ferguson gives what would be considered a very reasonable tip everywhere else in the world but a cheap one in the US, where restaurants barely pay serving staff.

by Anonymousreply 8503/11/2013

R6/R16 here. Pardon my previous typo--I was referring to J Yellin and John King. On the other hand, C Crowley, S Malveaux, J Dougherty and W Blitzer are genuinely sweet people. Erin Burnett is intense and humorless. I can't speak to CNN as a whole, but most I know are definitely not Repubs.

by Anonymousreply 8703/11/2013

Thank you R87. How's Donna Brazille?

by Anonymousreply 8803/11/2013

R86, it is in serious football-playing countries.

by Anonymousreply 8903/11/2013

Glenn Close. Nice, but from a completely different world than any of us will ever know. A bit whacky and not able to relate to the "common" man. But still, very nice. BIG TIME family money.

by Anonymousreply 9003/11/2013

[quote]Paulina Porizkova - wonderful, lovely, funny and sweet

I loved her on DWTS. She just came across as a very happy, normal person.

by Anonymousreply 9103/11/2013

R88: Mz. Brazile is freakishly intelligent, eloquent, and irreverently funny. She doesn't hold back. Iron fist in a velvet glove. Very, very cool woman. Don Lemon is a sweetheart, too. He's comfortable in his skin and doesn't play the "I'm on TV" card that others do.

by Anonymousreply 9203/11/2013

[quote]Erin Burnett is intense and humorless.

Can't stand her. You sure she's not a Republican? Candy, Wolf and AC aren't Republicans? I find it hard to believe!

by Anonymousreply 9303/11/2013

Christine Ebersole. She's as nice and as fun as they come.

by Anonymousreply 9403/11/2013

In the 70s I was in a high rise elevator in midtown NYC with Jackie Kennedy, and I swear she passed gas.

by Anonymousreply 9503/11/2013

Erik Menendez, the murderer. He is a cock sucker and a con.

by Anonymousreply 9603/11/2013

I too was shat on by Jackie Onassis

by Anonymousreply 9703/11/2013

Oh my god r96, please elaborate! I just posted something about him in another thread and was somewhat sympathetic to him, but I don't know him.

by Anonymousreply 9803/11/2013

R6/R16, is your partner closeted?

by Anonymousreply 9903/11/2013

I've met several presidents and prime ministers of several nations. It was always an informal meeting at various receptions and events. Nothing one on one.

by Anonymousreply 10003/13/2013

R99: No, she isn't closeted. But she's private, and I don't believe she "pings" to most. Neither of us do. We're certainly out to everyone in our immediate private/professional spheres.

R93: I've no idea about AC's affiliation. If Candy and Wolf vote to the right, they've done a helluva job convincing me otherwise, off-air. But what do I know.

by Anonymousreply 10103/13/2013

Speaker of the House Jim Wright...

by Anonymousreply 10203/13/2013

[quote]To the people that know Lauren Hutton I have a question. A few years ago I read an article about her longterm boyfriend stealing all of money. Any idea what happened andif he did steal the money? TYIA

There used to be a breakfast place in the West Village called The Bagel. Hutton would eat there every day, starting when she was "broke." She never left a tip and was rude. The servers hated her. After she signed her big Million Dollar Revlon contract, she kept coming in ... and still left no tip.

Her boyfriend/beard taking her money was "instant karma" as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 10303/13/2013

[quote] If Candy and Wolf vote to the right, they've done a helluva job convincing me otherwise, off-air. But what do I know.

This is breaking news to me because they sure do seem like conservatives and so does Anderson from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 10403/13/2013

Remember they're on television trying to coax middle America. Not everyone can be a Jon Stewart or Maddow. It's all relative, and CNN is very adept at playing both sides for viewership. It is, after all, just a job, and their job depends solely on ratings.

by Anonymousreply 10503/14/2013

Rush Limbaugh ( I know, I know) was gracious charming.

by Anonymousreply 10703/14/2013

This may come as a great shock, but Tommy Tune is a cunt. A total fucking douche bag cunt. He will put on that sweet syrupy southern drawl to your face and will stab you in the back before he can even get out the door. I hope the karma train hits him hard. And soon.

by Anonymousreply 10803/14/2013

Met Alan Cumming at Xth Ave. Lounge, simpering and fugly as shit.

Blew Lou Christie, huge uncut precum filled Italian dick.

by Anonymousreply 10903/14/2013

R108 - I don't think Tommy Tune being an ass would come as a surprise to ANYONE - why do you think he has not directed even a frigging Encores production in New York in decades?

by Anonymousreply 11003/14/2013

I met Cleo Laine on the street waiting for a car. She was sweet and funny and down-to-earth. She talked to me first.

I met Jane Goodall and had lunch with her. She was everything she seems to be, but it's possible only because she has a large team of true-believing idolators swarming around her and fighting for precedence. She took any unfinished water bottles back to her hotel room to drink because she hates seeing any resource wasted.

I met Fulton Sheen but he just blessed me and sailed on in all his glory.

I met Richard Branson and had dinner and he creeped the shit out of me.

I met Stephen Spender and he was so old he had forgotten he once was queer.

(My Favorite) I met Hillary Clinton in 1992 and told her she was very impressive and she needed to think about her own political career and consider running for office, and eventually the presidency, herself. She took a step back like she was staggering and laughed her head off. "I don't think so," she said. I said, "You ought to."

by Anonymousreply 11103/14/2013

Katie Couric went out of her way to help me when I was in an airport. She couldn't have been nicer. She is a cool, down to Earth lady.

by Anonymousreply 11203/14/2013

Whitney Houston one morning in an elevator at the Four Seasons, she had an SUV waiting outside to take her to the set of "Preacher's Wife". Goofy, unkempt, hungover, coked-up and friendly, peered over her askew sunglasses and said "Hello!" There were no drug rumours around then. I was told by my supervisor (I was temping in the administration office) to take the freight elevator after I told him.

by Anonymousreply 11303/14/2013

R106, are you male or female?

by Anonymousreply 11403/14/2013

[quote](My Favorite) I met Hillary Clinton in 1992 and told her she was very impressive and she needed to think about her own political career and consider running for office, and eventually the presidency, herself. She took a step back like she was staggering and laughed her head off. "I don't think so," she said. I said, "You ought to."

That is a cool story.

by Anonymousreply 11503/14/2013

R67, I think I went to college with you.

by Anonymousreply 11603/14/2013

R67 you knew Helene Alexopoulos? (sp?) I was a huge admirer of her dancing, and while there are more than a few superb ballerinas these days at NYCB, none have her distinct glamour.

by Anonymousreply 11703/14/2013

Why won't you Northwestern peeps actually name your college?

by Anonymousreply 11803/14/2013

I'm friends with an Olympian and he's one of the smartest, humblest, and nicest guys I know.

I was dumped by a superficial ex for a bigwig at the Kennedy Center. He was so materialistic and it's nauseating to see him at various events (at the Kennedy Center, book signings, society mixers) looking so smug next to his sugar daddy. I ran across a recent bio and he was bragging about being the music director for a couple of shows coming to Broadway...and he's not even 30 yet. Hopefully he burns out in epic fashion...not that I'm bitter, hahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 11903/14/2013

Too many to name, but one of my favorite stories is...

I was in Sting's dressing room. Everyone cleared out but me and him. I had about a hundred posters he had to autograph, and we had a system going of me passing them to him to sign. James Taylor walked in with a guitar and began to play. Sting began to sing. I began to sweat. haha It was one of my first celeb experiences in the music biz just out of college and one of the best.

by Anonymousreply 12003/14/2013

[quote]Why won't you Northwestern peeps actually name your college?

They think it makes them sound like they're bragging, the way people who went to Harvard say they went to college "in Massachusetts" or "near Boston."

by Anonymousreply 12103/14/2013

Thank you 103

by Anonymousreply 12203/14/2013

Met Princess Grace once, about a year before she died . Bloated, had smooth blonde hair on her face. Prince Albert, her son. Had bad acne, and was not attractive in the least. Both were tall.

by Anonymousreply 12303/14/2013

How do you meet someone "indirectly?"

by Anonymousreply 12403/14/2013

Why are fags so starstruck?

Very few famous people are interesting at all.

by Anonymousreply 12503/14/2013

Gerri Willis from Fox News Business Report John Boehner Bob Crane

by Anonymousreply 12603/14/2013

Used to be neighbors with Matt Damon's brother. The whole family is really nice and normal. The brother moved to a neighboring town a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 12703/14/2013

Listed this before but I'll include celebs I've met casually rather than know.

Cynthia Nixon: Gradeschool classmate. GENIUS. Made other students look stupid. Bailed for Hunter after fourth grade I think. stopped me on the street when we were fifteen and we talked for 5-10 minutes. Was suprrised she remembered me. Heart of gold, very socially conscious, sharp as a tack.

Diane Lane: high school classmate. Dated my cousin before I got to the school. Glad she kept him off the market throughout school. Ate a holiday dinner with them once, she was very civilized. Very street-smart, I think we were in school three or four times on the same day.

Michael Rapaport: Our moms were friends. Knew his brother and sister. Hung out with him occasionally. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Kenneth Anger: Offered me the lead in "Lucifer Rising II" and hired me as PA. Quit after one day, declined role. Strong presence, strong mind, clear director's vision.

Met casually:

Burt Young: said "hey, look at the kid on the skates" outside the Waldorf Christmas 1981. I said "Hey, you're Burt Young." Shook my hand. Probably thought I'd call him "Paulie."

Anthony Mirra: One of NYC's most violent mobsters ever. Mom's boyfriend in 1977. Saw him talking to mom in driveway and went up to him to ask him how he knew her and what he did for a living. Mom said he liked my looking out for her.

George Plimpton: Saw him on E. 72nd and the FDR one morning while I was hanging out with a friend and he was walking his dog.

Rodney Dangerfield: former neighbor. Used to hit on mom. Very quiet guy, widower, had rent-stabilzied apartment from his construction days. tour bus used to appear in driveway at 3:00 a.m. He'd walk to NYHRC in his robe (also to Catch A Rising Star).

Don Imus: did coat-check at a charity show he did for that camp. Said "good show" after he was done. His reaction surprised me; I'll leave it at that.

William Goldman: typing client of family business. Nice guy.

Michael Learned: Married my half-brother. Was at their wedding. Nothing in common with her but she and Mom got along really well. Divorced out of family years ago.

To name a fwe...

by Anonymousreply 12803/14/2013

R67 here. R118 R121: I didn't identify my college not out of any attempt to be cool--just thought people were more interested in the famous individuals than in the place I went to school. Yes, it was Northwestern, 1978-83 (three degrees from there). Also, I wanted to try to suggest that these were people who were there and high-profile in college theatre--in many cases, you could have predicted they would go far--but the only ones I could honestly say I knew to sit down in the cafeteria with were Plakson and Michael Greif (was in classes with both of them and in a couple of shows with Greif). But I didn't want to make it seem like we were all good buddies. Jayne Atkinson was also there, too--a stunning Phaedra at age 20 or something like that. Plakson, Mullaly, and Edelman were all in A Little Night Music together. But no snobbery intended on my part. I went into academia.

The high school list is, frankly, a more remarkable one because it was a suburban public high school and not even one of the rich ones (like New Trier), but a very economically and socially heterogeneous place. The ones I listed were all part of my extended social circle (we all were in drama or music groups and banded together). Another author, for those who like mysteries, is Nancy Atherton, who has had quite a run with the Aunt Dimity series. Contrary to popular belief, I was not the theatre critic when Ernest Hemingway edited the student newspaper!

R117 Helene grew up in a very middle-class family, but was clearly already a trained and talented dancer by the time she hit high school. She was given permission to leave school early during the Lyric Opera's season, as she danced in the corps de ballet under her teacher Maria Tallchief. (The dyke who became chair of Girl's PE decided she would no longer make that "deal" and Helene had to take PE in her last couple of years, which does seem idiotic--as if she wasn't getting an extraordinary physical education at the Lyric). She was a nice and even then quite beautiful young woman--very bright (was accepted to Radcliffe, but didn't end up going, as she went immediately into the NYC Ballet, I think--after she retired from dancing, I believe she went to Columbia and got a degree)--and could have a wicked sense of humor (well, she wasn't around all those gay men in the ballet during her teen years for nothing), and also endearingly capable of being a teen age girl with a crush on one of the handsomer boys a year older than she was. When we did "Oklahoma," she did the Dream Ballet Laurey; our singing and acting Laurey was Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio; our Ali Hakim was Dan Castellaneta; and our Curley was the accomplished ceramicist Peter Lane (who has pieces in the permanent collection of the Louvre). (My chorus partner in the show (meaning I walked her out onstage with the rest of unwashed for a big number) was a freshman named Kathy Griffin.) I saw Helene last a number of years ago when a bunch of us went to see Mary Elizabeth play Aldonza in the revival of Man of La Mancha (she had played the same role thirty years earlier in our high school production).

I've probably forgotten a few--and a number came through my high school some years after I graduated--Officer Dingle from Reno 911, Mr. Jellnek from Strangers with Candy (I was his sister's grade--and we all had a very scary art teacher named Miss Jelinek), and others, no doubt. It was a time when even non-wealthy suburbs supported arts education with tax money. We were very fortunate.

R116 I wouldn't at all be surprised if we crossed paths at Northwestern, since I was there for the better part of a decade. I'll sign the posting with my initials--let me know if we knew each other.

by Anonymousreply 12903/14/2013

Female R114.

by Anonymousreply 13003/14/2013

the stephen spender one made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 13103/14/2013

My good pal was working on film promotions with Marisa Tomei, and they invited me to go to The Cannes Film Festival with them, they seemed to have had a cancellation at the last minute. They got me a film pass, and said they couldn't entertain me, because they were working, but we went out to swell dinners, parties and functions every night and hobnobbed with famous people. I had the time of my life. Bring your own celeb, and you will enjoy the Riviera!

by Anonymousreply 13203/15/2013

R67: how well do you know Bruce Norris? Is he gay? he and I went to junior high together.

by Anonymousreply 13303/18/2013

is R128 Zelig or Forrest Gump?

by Anonymousreply 13403/18/2013

Ok. My experience, I do not claim to have intimate knowledge or friendship, these are just a few celebs I met or encountered in NYC when I lived there.

Lauren Hutton was kind of aloof (I am only mentioning her because she is all over this thread, otherwise not memorable). I wouldn't say she was a huge b%tch or anything.

Al Pacino: Coolest man on earth. I can't even describe, the only celeb to fluster me in person. He was filming something and was just really friendly, walking around the street owning his presence, said Hello to my friend and I and she nearly fainted. This was 12 years ago but he looked amazing/much more handsome in person.

Leonardo DiCaprio: Least cool man on earth. Saw him at a party, he was surrounded by girls on a bed, I did a double take because it was really odd, this was not that kind of party. He made eye contact with me and I was kind of skeeved out by it, I know it sounds weird but it was just sad to see someone acting like such a cliche.

Molly Ringwald: not the friendliest. But in her defense my co-worker totally wigged out and asked for her autograph - she probably just wanted to get out of there!

Fisher Stevens: perved at me, he was kind of weirdly hot though!

Willem Dafoe: Zen master. I used to see him around Soho most days to the point where we started saying hello in passing. He is just really calm and awesome -Cool dude, total New Yorker.

Kyle Machlachlan: must go to the movies alot because I saw him no less than three times at different cinemas. Gorgeous man, I had a huge crush on him in Twin Peaks so even though I didn't speak to him it is a nice memory for me!

Susan Sarandon: Kind of curt but not unpleasant. She seemed very uncomfortable in her skin. I had to wrap up a bunch of stuff for her and the five minute wait was too much for her so she left and came back for it. Pretty but human looking.

Valerie Harper: Loveliest, kindest most generous spirited woman. Went out of her way to compliment me and wish me luck in my acting career (she instigated the conversation when I told her I had seen her play as I was waiting on her in a diff. shop) So sad she is ill, just terrible and I wish her well.

Woody Allen: total cliche but I love his films and seeing him walking around the UES in heated conversation with a friend was like the highlight of my life. Passed right by him, was too nervous to speak, sadly.

Sarah Jessica Parker: ALWAYS running, pre SATC.

Henry Rollins: Huge jerk. rude, aggressive, walking around the LES roided up and staring out anyone who accidentally glances his way (he's hard to miss).

Oh Al Gore: ha! Heavily made up and with a face like thunder, huge guy.

hm I am sure I have missed a few. You see tons of t.v./soap people around mid-town/theatre district, models in Soho but I never got so excited about them.

Oh may as well mention my first spot, I was at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and saw Tony Randall. My aunt just about died and I didn't get it at the time, but he was one of the few, like Pacino, who just had a true aura around him. He was waving hello to everyone.

I have a lot of 2nd hand/via friend stories but I can't really verify them so will leave it there!

I really want to hear more about Judy Davis, I love her!

by Anonymousreply 13506/26/2013

Long, but terrific post, r135! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 13706/27/2013

Al Pacino - shorter than I would have imagined with a fake tan and hair that resembled Mrs. Doubtfire but nice.

Ellen Burstyn, polite.

Alec Baldwin - full of himself

Jim Carey - weird but friendly

Eddie Murphy - nice and flirtatious (I'm female)

Brad Pitt - total dick. Yelled at some kid who wanted his autograph. I'm amazed whenever I hear people talking about what a nice guy he is because I didn't get that at all. His bodyguard was a fat asshole, too.

Julian Moore...seriously. Short and sweet.

Sharon Stone - full of herself and divaesque but still friendly.

by Anonymousreply 13806/27/2013

Barbra Streisand walked by me in a flea market in Sun Valley (Does that count? I know we never met, but we brushed each other. She's very small btw.) Clint Eastwood walked by my table in Sun Valley also ( He had on his stereotypical white T-shirt) very tall.

I sat across from Catherine Deneuve in a Paris restaurant and we met eyes. She was flawless.

Tom Cruise said hi to me as I was leaving a restroom at Guys and Dolls on Broadway. (I didn't realize it was him at first so I never responded)

Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen got in my elevator in the Plaza Hotel. They were in town for President Clinton's birthday. Very nice ands personable. And both of them better looking in person. Ted was a hunk in his tux. They wished me a good evening when they exited.

by Anonymousreply 13906/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!