Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Forcing oneself not to remember

Does it work with you? If you force yourself not to remember something i.e. deliberately force oneself not to think about some information.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

No. I have made mistakes in my past that I can't forget. At random times one of them will pop into my head out of nowhere. I cringe and try to think of something else quickly.

On the other hand, as I get older some bad memories aren't as terrible as they once seemed. I just say to myself "oh well, can't do anything about the past".

Don't be hard on yourself, we all have things we regret.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

Absolutely, you can forget. I know this from experience. If you determine to force your mind and thoughts elsewhere when the distressing memory floats up to the top of your awareness (having a few happy scenarios in mind from the outset would not go amiss either) you can, over the course of a few months force it down below your awareness.

But you have to do it every. single. time. You can't brood over the memory one day and then try to send it packing the next. Won't work. But if you are determined, you can make this work for you.

The drawback here is that banishing the memory will, most likely, take the memories around it as well. I really have no memory of a big chunk of my childhood. Something obviously happened; my photos from that time show a very happy and outgoing child --- and then, seemingly overnight, I changed into s completely different, obviously unhappy child. I've thought of the obviously explanation, and yeah, maybe. But that's the thing, I really have no idea.

I also have no real memory of any of the holidays, birthday celebrations, friends, enemies, or anything else. Apparently, at some point, my brain decided the trade-off was worth it.

Who am I to argue?

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

I just met someone with the inability to conjure images in his mind. He said there are some advantages, since there are images one wouldn't want to be able to visualize again. He said he does see images in his dreams.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

I didn't like Ledger in his role as "Joker".

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

Ann, don't think about the word 'banana.'

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

[quote] Does it work with you?

Isn't it kind of hard to tell? If your goal is to not remember something, then tracking your success in not remembering it ("Today is the 5th day in a row that I'm not remembering the horrible breakup!") kind of forces you to remember it, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!