Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will Richard Simmons ever officially come out?

Or would it ruin the big joke? I have to say , even though I find the "wink wink" fey-slapstick somewhat problematic sometimes because it seems his flaming femininity was more often the target of the "straight" man's joke— the video of him on "Who's Line Is It Anyway" (at this link) is HILARIOUS. I think because it felt like he was more in charge of the antics here and not the only one playing along- rather then just being a big Queeny scapegoat for the single uptight host (like Letterman appearances).

His energy does seem positive and like he'd be a good guy. Do you think he'll do a tell all bio some day?

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

You can see his gayness from space. I think a public declaration would be redundant at this point.

I did notice he dedicated his bio to his male "friend" so that was his subtle way of outing himself.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2013

[quote]he dedicated his bio to his male "friend" so that was his subtle way of outing himself.

That's pathetic. Flouncing around in his glass closet, he's like Anderson Cooper was for many years. Also like AC, in that he's too much of a coward to admit to a relationship and settles for listing a "friend." That's beyond pathetic for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

Some people don't feel a need to discuss who they sleep with. I think every time he flits around in a tutu he acknowledges his orientation. I don't think he is trying to hide anything.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

A "declaration" would be silly.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

His actions always speaks louder than words. If he comes out it would only be redundance.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

From someone who made his living thru fitness tapes, I'm always shocked by how flabby and sickly he looks. He's not "fat" but he sure as hell doesn't look like someone who exercises effectively.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

He's 100 years old, R6.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

She's a heterosexual female just like me. What do you want her to come as?

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

I SWEAR I saw him on a talk show when he was first becoming famous (the General Hospital "spa" days) where he said he was married and had kids. He also talked about Catholic school, so I thought,m"That's the type of femme gay man who would get married - a Catholic school graduate. And the type of woman who would marry him would also be a Catholic school grad."

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

bunch of jealous liars you all are at the the datalounge. I slept with him and he is STRAIGHT. Don't beleive the hatas! buy his merchandise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

I find it much more interesting that there seems to have been so little pressure over the years for Richard Simmons to come out, as compared to other, hotter men.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

r6, when he was younger he was close to 300 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

Does he even need to come out?

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

I like Richard Simmons. He's a good guy and he's done a lot of good for people in my family. Even though she's managed to maintain a healthy weight for many years since she turned to him for help, he still calls my mom once a month to check in with her. And every once in a while he sends me an email just to say hi.

I can't say anything bad about him. I know it's disappointing that he chooses to 'hide in plain sight,' but he's not actively hurting anyone. He has nothing but love for everyone.

Plus, you can't get much more gay than his most recent Youtube video...

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

that's a nice story about your mom. Richard is a real mensch.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

Thanks r14. He does come across as someone who seems extremely nice and caring for his clients. I dont' think anyone who was a secret asshole could have that long of a career and not be outed as such- at least.

I disagree with the sentiment that flaming = out but he sure does play with the hetero-dude's fear of gayness. In most of the clips I've seen of him he wears the act of FLAMING GAY like a clown suit. It makes me laughed sometimes, other times it makes me sad because effeminiate men are so often laughed at - then beaten up.

Some boys are just born that way. They are born flamers. They deserve respect and love as much as anyone else. Simmons has made the best of it. But I do think it matters that he's never said the word "gay".

It's a political thing, yes. But we live in a era where gay is politicized - if not by us then by the people who are trying to destroy us. If we don't say it, someone says it for us and not in a good way.

But I still respect the fact that everyone- even celebrities— have their own process of self-awareness and understanding of what it means to them. I will never call Simmone "Out" until he says he's involved with a man, but I will respect him for who he is and what he's done for people.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

You may see more of him on TV soon....

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!