Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Treating your friends well while treating your parents like shit

My parents have been very good to me but I note that I treat them like shit while I treat my friends really well. I honestly think I'm a really big loser for doing this.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

Stop beating yourself up. You sound like a thoughtful person to me.

Take them out to Denny's for Sunday breakfast. :)

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

No tweens allowed on DL. When you grow up in a few years, you'll see how cool they really are.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

What devistates me is that I basically have to parent myself while my friends still have decent parents, my mom was until my sister became ill, now I'm on my own! I've learned that honestly friends are great but overrated. I want family.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

I hear the Menendez boys weren't very nice to their parents either.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

Lots of people do this without even realizing that they are doing so. You are way better.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

I have really, really great parents. They love me and support me and have sacrificed so much for me.

I don't take their calls except if there's been a death or I need money.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

My brother and sister are like you, OP. They got more from my parents than my other sister or I ever did. Yet my sister and I are caring for our now-infirm parents while working full time, while brother and other sister ( both of whom are retired and can set their own schedules, btw) do jack shit except visit a few times a year. Oh, and when they visit, my parents treat those two like royalty, which makes more work for my sister and me.

We hide our siblings' lack of caring from our parents; it would break their hearts to know the depths of their spawns' selfishness. (Though I think they do know it deep inside)

I finally had it out with them last Christmas. They were stunned I'd actually be so impolite as to tell them how badly off our parent really are, and how they needed to do some fucking work to help out. They agreed to change.

Now, three months later? Crickets.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

If you feel like a loser OP. Treat your parents better. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

Don't worry OP, they'll be gone sooner than you know it.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

Because you don't have to "try" to get your parents to like you while your friends require effort. Just my theory.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

r5 - No, it's worse to realize you're behaving badly and continue to do so. It might be more mature to recognize it, but it's not "way better."

OP, if you ever find yourself truly down and out, you'll find most of your friends scarce. Your parents will still love your big loser ass. Keep this in mind. Nobody in your life will ever love you as much.

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

If your parents were good to you, then it probably has something to do with how you feel about unconditional love (possibly from them specifically). It might help to write about it or something. Maybe they actually did do something to upset you, and you have to accept it to move on.

My parents were truly horrific, but I still feel bad for yelling at them and cursing them out...or one of them, at least. I think the average person doesn't want to act like an asshole regardless. But I don't know, that could be shifting.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

Now, that you know what you are doing wrong, change it.

Start small and do a bit more, because you don't want to be at a point where you have regrets.

I decided to create a bucket list of things I wanted to do with my parents.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.