Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Intelligent People do not get bored

That's just a fact. And that's how you know someone is lying about their educational background or smarts, when they are constantly claiming to be bored.

by Anonymousreply 10009/23/2014

I thought quite the opposite. The ratio of intelligent people to stupid people is not very good. I imagined most people who are intelligent are frequently bored out of their skulls, except for their own company or enjoying their own interests. Christ, small talk at a party can be like pulling teeth with so many dullards around.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

Only boring people are bored.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

Six months in Bolivia, OP.

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2013

Intelligent people get bored a lot more than average to lower intelligent people. They also tend to have a more fucked up life. They are never fucking happy and always debating if they made the right choices in life.

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2013

R1 -- now I'm curious! What topics would you bring up with a stranger at a party? I might try for where one went on vacation, or what the other person reads?

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2013

You bore me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2013

OP is correct.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

r6=Frances Farmer!!!!! yeah....good for you to quote Frances!!!!

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

I feel like that statement should be reversed. The older I get the more I realize that life is actually bleak, you're here because your parents had sex, then you have to go do daily things that society created to have some order. You work hours upon hours for money, when the upper class tries to stop you from truly making it. Then there's the added annoyance of racism, where people try to mistreat you then claim it's your fault when you refuse to accept it and confront them about it.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

I agree, I'm never bored. Ever. Intelligence is definitely tied to curiosity. Some people always have a list of things they'd like to research or learn.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

Intelligent people are always running through things in their minds. Only dullards are sitting around with arms crossed, waiting for someone else to entertain them.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

The most intelligent person I know is stuck at home, taking care of her sick elderly father.

You bet your ass she's bored!

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

R13, I believe op meant under normal circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

I met an amazing woman several years ago, 1999 to be exact. She shared a lot of great wisdom with me, and one of the things she told me was this:

"One day when I was younger I was riding the bus to school, and thinking about how many amazing things there are in the world. There is literally always something to do. There is no excuse for being 'bored', and I decided right then and there that I would never be bored again."

Ever since she told me this, in 1999, I have not been bored. What she said is completely true.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

We get bored by having to slow down and explain everything to the idiots around us. Like you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

― Dorothy Parker

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

Actually the opposite is true, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2013

Ah. Trapped in a room with a staggering bore, a person so painfully unsurprising, so tedious, so vacant of response...

...never thou, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2013

I grew up in a special program for "super intelligent" kids. We all had some extraordinary talent. Some of us were math geeks while others just had excellent memories or were talented artists. I'm really good at knowing how things work and that includes people. You could show me a device and I could tell you what makes it tick. You could put me in a room with five people and I can probably tell you everything about them after 30 minutes. I just see things differently than most people & I'm very observant.

After graduation we have all inadvertently kept in touch. I say inadvertently because we (a small group of about 25 kids) were all in the same classes together through three schools, for 12 or so years so we feel compelled to talk once a year.

Many of us crashed and burned living in the real world. We lacked a lot of social skills when it came to interacting with people not like us. One girl actually dropped out of college, took the tuition money she her parents gave her and moved to Australia. Many of them became drug addicts. A few more became depressed and went on medications.

As for the OP's point ...

It's the opposite for most of us. Personally, I get bored once I know everything there is to know about a job or subject. I'd start out in a company on the bottom floor and end up running things less than a year into it. I worked faster and more efficiently than everyone else. I know how to analyze a person's strengths and put them to good use. If I was sitting around doing nothing it was because I had done everything else. I also can't deal with people who simply can't remember how to do what I consider to be simple things. However, what I consider to be simple, I've learned as I've gotten older, may not be so for other people.

I figured out that I thrive when I can be creative if only because that means I constantly get to do something new. So, I started my own business and I do quite well. I also know how to turn off my brain occaisonally and be able to mindless, dumb things. I should probably thank my parents for that since they always forced me to do stuff that normal kids did and have friends that were outside of our program.

by Anonymousreply 2003/02/2013

R20--The point is not whether a particular activity that does not challenge or interest you bores you. Of course you are bored by having to keep focusing on something that doesn't interest you. What OP means is a state of boredom in the abstract. When you find yourself with nothing in particular you have to do and can't entertain yourself somehow.

by Anonymousreply 2103/02/2013

[quote]I grew up in a special program for "super intelligent" kids

That sentence tells us that you lie.

by Anonymousreply 2203/02/2013

A neighbor kid soon graduating from high school told me that other kids in his class thought he was dull and boring. He had 4.0 average, was on the swim, baseball, and track teams and was president of the Latin club and Spanish club. But he was quite dull.

I gave him a calendar and told him to put an entry on it every day, telling something new that he tried -- taking a different route between classes, putting mayo on a hot dog instead of mustard, watching a TV show he never watched, going to a movie he would not have considered.

Then I gave him a cassette tape and printed lyrics to a song from "Mame" --- "Open A New Window," sung by Angela Lansbury. I told him to play the song every morning when he got up and at least once every afternoon.

By the time he went away to college, he was a different person. Right in the lyrics of the song Mame tells Patrick that he'll never be a dull person if he follows that advice. Jerry Herman got it right with those lyrics. If you're always open to try new things, life will never be boring.

by Anonymousreply 2303/02/2013

R20 is the real deal and has it right.

by Anonymousreply 2403/02/2013

R23 is Jimmeny Cricket

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2013

r24 is r20 using a different browser

by Anonymousreply 2603/02/2013

This thread is about "intelligent people" R26 of which you obviously aren't. I posted at 24 and 25 and all it took was using troll-dar to find that out. No, I'm not R20.

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2013

Intelligent people know that you can go to a different browser or computer and post there and trolldar will not recognize you as the same person so you could have been r24 and r25 and r20.

But yes r24/r25 you seem far to stupid to know that. I take back my joke that you are r20.

by Anonymousreply 2803/02/2013

education has nothing to do with intelligence

by Anonymousreply 2903/03/2013

"Personally, I get bored once I know everything there is to know about a job or subject."

Who knows absolutely everything about a broad subject or job? I call BS. Get back to us when you've studied philosophy and cosmology, and solved the ultimate origins of the universe.

"He had 4.0 average, was on the swim, baseball, and track teams and was president of the Latin club and Spanish club. But he was quite dull."

So you reaffirmed his insecurity by agreeing that he needed to change himself. That's a great lesson to teach a teen - if others say you're boring and bored, then you clearly are! Conform...

by Anonymousreply 3003/03/2013

I would say intelligent people know how to avoid boredom. I totally understand the point made by r20 at the end of the post. Knowing that I run in 4 year cycles, I usually get promoted or change jobs after 4 years. Once learned, I must move on to new challenges.

by Anonymousreply 3103/03/2013

OP is quite wrong, actually.

Intelligent people are MORE likely to get bored.

by Anonymousreply 3203/03/2013

[quote]So you reaffirmed his insecurity by agreeing that he needed to change himself.

I didn't tell him he was dull and didn't let on that it was evident. Instead, I put him on a road to new experiences. He's a successful, well-liked, well-rounded professional.

That's probably something you would not be able to equal, R30.

by Anonymousreply 3303/03/2013

No, R33. You taught him to become a follower. His peers thought he was boring, and instead of telling him to be proud of his accomplishments, you corroborated their envy-ridden sentiments.

by Anonymousreply 3403/03/2013

r23 created a homo!

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2013

See all the people who think being bored is characteristic of the intelligent, are themselves unintelligent and don't realize it. Including R20. Lots of kids are thought to be gifted who are actually without imagination. Running things within a year? Not plausible. The economy hasn't worked that way since 1954. In any field.

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2013

R36, you're talking about yourself I think. Because you're really not getting it.

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2013

No I get it fine. Someone who thinks everyone else is "boring" is a narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2013

No, R38, you're not getting it.

An intelligent person sitting in a classroom having to go the same speed as "everyone else" (or more likely, the slowest in the class) is going to get bored.

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2013

There is a big difference between intelligence and personal motivation. You can be a genius but also a lazy couch potato. I have known several brilliant, erudite people who are basically miserable, lonely hermits.

I also believe that there is a correlation between intellect and depression. When you know the truth about just how random life really is and that none of this actually matters, that tend to bum people out.

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2013

It's not just that, R40... it's also about not being able to find people "at your level", and feeling very alone because of it, that can drive depression too.

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2013

I read about a Vietnam-era POW who kept his mind active during the endless hours of confinement by setting up mental puzzles for himself. One of the things he learned to do was mentally multiply four numbers by four numbers.

Finding myself in situations where people tended to drone on while providing little useful information — meetings, classes and the like — I decided the POW was onto something. I haven't learned his multiplication skill (for which I am still in awe), but I have learned to do many other interesting things, all while appearing interested.

Whether boredom is a sign of intelligence or the lack thereof, I do believe it's the symptom of a limited and lazy mind. I think people can be extremely bright and very stupid at the same time, and the reverse is true.

by Anonymousreply 4203/03/2013

The idea of a queen giving a cassette tape with lyrics from Mame to a child, with advice such as noting down when you put mayo on a hotdog, is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 4303/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 4403/03/2013

In my experience, people who think they're smart or intelligent usually aren't.

by Anonymousreply 4503/03/2013

An intelligent person, when he felt boredom beginning to creep in, would simply sit down with a good book he hadn't yet read. It's really that simple.

by Anonymousreply 4603/03/2013

I'm supposedly very intelligent and it has made me ravaged by Ennui. But,I can always keep myself distracted till the day I drop dead, and am finally free, of this Ennui.Curiosity and quickness are shared by some, but not by many, and most people bore the crap out of me. It's not narcissism. I want to love em all, but I certainly don't want to hear the particulars of their breakfast sandwiches etc.I wouldn't wish big brains on anyone. Especially, if you are a good looking woman. It's a deadly mixture.

by Anonymousreply 4703/03/2013

That's a good parody, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4803/03/2013

r48 I longed for such a compliment to authenticate my great-ness. It is a parody but one based on my truth. I can't just come out and say how impossible my life is being both a beautiful woman, and ridiculously brilliant. I would be accused of grotesque braggadachio(sp?)I must couch it in mirth. Oh birth!

by Anonymousreply 5003/03/2013

R46, that's difficult to do in the classroom, or in a business setting, now isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 5103/03/2013

R28 Stupid people who get caught in their lack of logic always say it was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 5203/03/2013

Is R50 Lark Voorhies?

by Anonymousreply 5303/03/2013

Only a simpleton would be so entertained by the great many things in this world.

An intelligent person is the bored and often frustrated person, seeking something greater than what is.

by Anonymousreply 5403/04/2013

I am a member of Mensa, the high IQ society. Or I was a member until my membership lapsed. I do get bored very easily. I also slip into depression very easily. Some of my gifted classmates (that I had considered beneath me in intelligence) have went on to lead amazingly fascinating lives editing papers, running campaigns, and generally, it seems, not being bored ever.

Am I the exception? No. I am just not considering perspective. These people could be bored out of their minds! We all can be. I could tell stories of the spurts in my life where I've went out at night and ended up on adventures with the most spectacular people - the son of a scion, a real life gangster that drove a car worth more than my house, more people that generally, it seems, do not find themselves bored ever. In telling these stories, I too would seem oblivious to boredom but I am not. Neither are the adventurous set.

In the morning, getting breakfast, these people were sometimes bored. Worse than that they were jaded. Smoking and thinking of the night, not of something new. Sometimes being bored is the human condition. I have a feeling it is a huge part of the condition. For good reason, anytime I have too much adventure I need to sleep for a week.

by Anonymousreply 5503/04/2013

I am surprised curiosity survives formal education.

by Anonymousreply 5603/04/2013

" Intelligent People do not get bored" pretty much. I consider boredom the exclusive domaine of the stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2013

Stupid people can sit and stare at a wall and be fine. I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5803/04/2013

"Some of my gifted classmates (that I had considered beneath me in intelligence) have went on..."

'Went' is the past tense. You need 'gone' here, the past participle.

by Anonymousreply 5903/04/2013

Did I expect, when I started this thread, that it would be filled with self-proclaimed geniuses asserting that intelligence=boredom? Absolutely. They are not much different than the psychopaths who think successful deception is the sign of a higher intelligence. I did it to offer support to those of datalounge whose minds work too much and too often and who encounter wonders every day just by using their brains. Too often they are put down by this class of pseudo-brains and their suffocating ennui.

by Anonymousreply 6003/05/2013

I had an hour at work with absolutely nothing to do, and access to a computer that doesn't allow any social media.

I found out that there are real birds called the Diabolical Nightjar, the Strange-Tailed Tyrant, and the Glowing Puffleg.

by Anonymousreply 6103/05/2013

Stob bumping this is such a bore.

by Anonymousreply 6203/05/2013

Disagree i mainly get bored when i have no stimulas, bus journeys are the worse.

by Anonymousreply 6310/25/2013

What's really disturbing is the people who can never be alone, and live on a diet of reality shows, hiphop and cartoons. Punctuated by episodes of getting drunk or high.

by Anonymousreply 6410/25/2013

People who think of themselves as "intelligent" and profess that they're "never bored because they are intelligent" usually are borderline retarded/fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 6510/25/2013

The only issue I have with bored people is there is an expectation you are suppose to entertain them when you're around them. I'm happier with people like me who can channel their curiosity in ways that don't demand others put on a show for them. Boredom is a choice and there's too much to experience in life. What is lacking for me are not things to see or do but that there just is not enough time to experience it all.

by Anonymousreply 6610/25/2013

R63, you did that on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 6710/25/2013

Interesting. I never thought of it that way, but perhaps that is why I am seldom bored. There are occasions where I am bored, like waiting on line at DMV, but those occasions are not frequent. I have had the same experience as R20 where after a while on the same job I no long feel challenged and it becomes tedious. Fortunately the job I have had for the last four years is very stimulating and offers plenty of challenges to keep me interested.

by Anonymousreply 6810/25/2013

Agree with the OP 100%.

If one is "bored," one can try learning something new! Or get a new hobby that will take you outdoors! Go to a museum or three! Clean your house!

Intelligent people can get bored, but only, if they are being honest, when they are simultaneously lazy.

by Anonymousreply 6910/25/2013

We are bored when forced to interact with people who have nothing to say.

by Anonymousreply 7010/25/2013

Then tell them things to enlighten them, r70. Be an amusing raconteur.

by Anonymousreply 7110/25/2013

I think people are getting confused with the difference between doing things they do not like, or things that do not challenge them, and the FEELING of boredom. I myself have an inability to get bored but do not consider myself to be formally educated, that said I am not stupid. I could be doing a task I do not like or does not challenge me but I will not be bored because my mind will be somewhere else. Either complaining about what it is I'm doing or thinking about butterflies etc.

by Anonymousreply 7309/23/2014

I'm never bored, because my head is so full of wonderful visions and ideas.

by Anonymousreply 7409/23/2014

Sure they do - when they are forced in social situations to endure listening to stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 7509/23/2014

[quote]So you reaffirmed his insecurity by agreeing that he needed to change himself.

It's true though, isn't it? Every overweight friend I've ever had has finally realized at some point that when they lose weight, their romantic possibilities increase. All of that "finding someone who loves you for you" nonsense doesn't mean anything when people aren't attracted to you. You do have to make an effort to find love, or even to make friends. People are generally simpleminded and bigoted, there has to be a bit of manipulation on your part to sway them.

by Anonymousreply 7609/23/2014

God r20s post was boring.

by Anonymousreply 7709/23/2014

I've had a similar experience to R20. I was always in "gifted" programs as a kid and while I'm not doing too badly now, I'm honestly surprised at how many kids of "normal" intelligence (not trying to be an asshole, just making a point) are doing much better. It's almost as if the kids that got off to a great start ended up floundering or stumbling in early adulthood and the ones that skipped school, didn't do homework, weren't known as "smart," got their shit together and started moving up. I'm currently trying to get my own shit together so I don't end up like the former.

by Anonymousreply 7809/23/2014

Love ya, R23.

by Anonymousreply 7909/23/2014

ennui does not have to have a capital E. Unless of course, it's at the beginning of a sentence. I am bored by the constant media attention to a few things. Over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 8009/23/2014

I was bored twice. Both times in a hospital recovery room right after surgery. White wall, white ceiling, white curtains around the bed. Nothing to read, no TV, no radio. Had to stay still for awhile. Wanted to be up and doing things.

by Anonymousreply 8109/23/2014

Is boredom not the essence of the existential life?

Fuck, why don't I die already.

by Anonymousreply 8309/23/2014

I sometimes wish I could just sit in front of a tv and be easily entertained by anything that moves. Just ain't happening for me, though

by Anonymousreply 8409/23/2014

god op is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8509/23/2014

Boredom can be a sign of clinical depression. Better watch out for it if you're constantly bored.

by Anonymousreply 8609/23/2014

I get depressed, not bored.

by Anonymousreply 8709/23/2014

R3 I don't understand. Do you mean in a Bolivian prison?

Also OP should have had Intelligent people do not get bored *easily* as the thread title. He makes it sound like if you're a genius it's impossible to experience boredom.

by Anonymousreply 8809/23/2014

am currently watching a doc on gore vidal,as well as the first ep of gothem. posting on this site reading about china and writing about the nature of power...still bored.

by Anonymousreply 8909/23/2014

Quite the opposite, actually, OP, many very intelligent people get very easily bored and need challenges and diversion that they are not readily encountering.

by Anonymousreply 9009/23/2014

Some intelligent people who get bored (not talking about myself here) look at boredom itself and what it tells us about existence and the world. E.g. Heidegger in the Fundamental Concepts of Metaphysics, argues that it is one of the fundamental moods capable of revealing to us being as a whole. There is also Walter Benjamin who revelled in boredom as allowing you to be a "real" flaneur in Paris (in the Arcades Project).

Perhaps boredom is simply a phenomenon one encounters in one's existence, independent of intelligence. One's personality probably makes a difference regarding how one deals with boredom.

by Anonymousreply 9109/23/2014

Here's a study that supports the OP: The less intelligent you are, the more bored you're likely to be.

by Anonymousreply 9209/23/2014

There are no boring people, Betty.

by Anonymousreply 9309/23/2014

R82 confuses complexity with intelligence. There are generalizations that are quite true such as, "All people die." There was no attempt to deceive anyone that I was offering an opinion.

Anyway, curiosity is a precondition of intelligence. You can't one without the other except in the general sense that all humans probably have dormant intellectual resources. As to the notion that intelligence was formed by curiosity and then curiosity was extinguished, but intelligence remains, I would say perhaps you are confusing expertise with intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 9409/23/2014

[quote]That's just a fact.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 9509/23/2014

R82: Intelligent people do make blanket statements. That's how we get trenchant observations, witticisms, aphorisms, nuggets of wisdom, sayings, general field theories.

They just are not trite.

by Anonymousreply 9609/23/2014

meow meow meow!

by Anonymousreply 9709/23/2014

I don't think I understand the question.

by Anonymousreply 9809/23/2014

Sherlock is bored.

by Anonymousreply 9909/23/2014

This thread is boring.

by Anonymousreply 10009/23/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!