Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Another star to leave Downton Abbey

Don't read the link if you don't want to know who it is.

by Anonymousreply 2503/06/2013

This is REALLY bad news for the show.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

Makes sense. No where for her character to go after this past season.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

And they basically set it up: off to India with the Sourpuss Granthams.

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2013

She's a cunt. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2013

Not great news. Without conflict there is no drama. You can't have a bunch of nice people.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2013

Damn. I enjoyed the actress very much and was hoping they would give the character something else to do. :(

[quote]No where for her character to go after this past season.

That's not true. Good writers can create a storyline for anyo— oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2013

Yes we know, OP. This was posted HOURS ago in the DOWNTON season 3 thread.

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2013

She's off to India with Shrimpy and Cordelia.

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2013

Star? Really?

by Anonymousreply 903/01/2013

"Yes we know, OP. This was posted HOURS ago in the DOWNTON season 3 thread."

This has nothing to do with Downton Season 3. She will be back in Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 1003/01/2013

Huh, R10? Uhhh, no, she won't be back in Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2013

I loved the British parody where her character stood there amid all the kitchen chaos and whined something like, "My hair's just knitting!"

by Anonymousreply 1203/01/2013

Boo! Damn! I'm a hag/straight, but I have - HAD, damn!!! - a girl crush on O'Brien. Waaaaa! I'll miss her more than I'll miss Matthew!

Hope the actress goes on to bigger and better things.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

My friend Julie made her do it.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

I guess they did kinda have an out when her character cozied to the Scottish Lady of the House and told her how to do her hair. They can easily say O'Brien ousted the maid there and went off to India with the Scots.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

FUCK HER!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

They definitely need to bring in another villain, or at least turn some other character into one.

I actually quite liked her in season three. She was devious and seemed motivated to do bad things for the good of her nephew, as opposed to just doing bad things because she was sadistic. And Thomas is an asshole.

I also hate it when historical shows or movies sugarcoat homophobia in the past. It was bad everywhere, except in the mythical land where you have to give the protagonists modern virtues to keep them likeable to current audiences.

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2013

Holy Shit, r16.

IT'S JUST A TV SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!

SEEK HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2013

So it sounds like O'Brien won't even be given a send-off in the opening episode(s) of Season 4.

She'll just be gone and I guess the other servants will fill us in as to where she went.

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2013

So the 'only' villain may be the Scot brat they are caring for while her parents are in India? Sounds dreadful.

So she never will suffer some real conequences for the soap incident that caused her mistress to lose her baby?

by Anonymousreply 2003/02/2013

I hope the role of O'Brien leads to some higher profile work for Finneran. I'd certainly like to see her in another role soon.

by Anonymousreply 2103/02/2013

If, as we've speculated, the O'Brien character is shipped off to India, at least there's a possibility that she'll return to the show. Unlike Matthew, whom they killed off.

O'Brien was definitely one of the show's best characters and I'll miss her. She was dark and complex, and she made things happen.

The worst part is that in her three seasons on the show, it didn't do nearly as much with her as it could have. I've become increasingly disenchanted with the Downton, and one reason is that it rarely goes beyond the superficial, so far as the characters are concerned. Why doesn't Julian Fellowes explore these characters in depth? How about filling in the details, and starting to give some of these characters secrets and intriguing backstories, showing unexpected sides of them? We know the basics of the family and its past, but the servants are blank slates, and you could do some really interesting and surprising things with them.

I think Downton would be much improved if it hired some more writers with fresh ideas. As it is, it's become very repetitive, with similar plots and situations repeating themselves. It's time to try some new things and take various characters in different directions.

by Anonymousreply 2203/06/2013

This can't be true, OP...why?? I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW!

by Anonymousreply 2303/06/2013

This can't be happening, it couldn't!!

by Anonymousreply 2403/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!