Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The best way to lose your friends is to become the group "handyman"

I have taught myself a lot of useful skills. Plumbing, electricity, and a bit of mechanics. I have also acquired a good collection of tools, wrench sets and stuff. I'm tired of people calling me for help but offering nothing in return. it seems no one wants to just hang out anymore without bringing up their a broken hinge or a leaky fucking faucet. I like fixing things and I like helping out my friends but her's a bit advice for people wit handyman friends:

Don't take them for granted. Please don't [italic]assume[/italic] that they will drop everything at a drop of a hat to come fix something. Don't ask to borrow their truck without some kind of compensation- or gas refill. And PLEASE don't call with the claim that you just want me to 'hang out' while you tile your kitchen. We both know that's bullshit.

A friend is not automatic free labor. You could just call to say hi and actually do something friends do every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2013

Is a cane one of your tools?

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

This is familiar to me. Especially from a friend who blames most things on men. She can't do these jobs herself as she "was brought up to cook and clean and men learn the practical stuff". Hunni, my father was not that type of guy and died when I was a kid. I taught myself and so can you.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

Wait, people actually consort with the help?

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2013

Been there, op. Sometimes we are a little bit too good-natured for our own good. I've learned to say no, finally. The true friends are still around, the moochers are missing....and not missed.

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2013

I wish I had a friend who asked me to fix things. Most people can't imagine I have any skills and I do.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2013

Your handyman work, Dwayne Schneider, is not the reason the world lost Bonnie Franklin.

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!