Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sinead O'Connor ripping the Pope's photo to shreds on SNL

"Fight the real enemy!"

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 8905/15/2014

It's been 20 years since she did this. I remember the outrage. I have a feeling that if this were to be done today, the response might be more of a "meh" in the U.S.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 203/01/2013

OP, that's been available for ages.

I still remember when they came back from break, they had a darkened theater with the host explaining that something happen, they apologize, and it won't be seen again. It might have been done for the rerun. I can't remember, but you would have thought someone shot someone in the studio.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 403/01/2013

Yes R6, and she suffered for it...

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 703/01/2013

Ex-Pope Sidious is probably the most-mocked Pope in the history of the Church.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 803/01/2013

I wonder if it was taped in an empty theater, because you don't hear anyone cough, clap or boo. Then they came back from break and apologized, pretending it was all a shock- to excuse themselves from responsibility?

Lorne being a Jew would have no reason to be offended. And perhaps a condition of her agreeing to do the show (she was very popular then) was her request to do the song?

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 903/01/2013

No, everyone was just stunned. It was one of those times you literally couldn't believe what you had just seen, whether you approved or condemned.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 1003/01/2013

Madonna mocked it months later on SNL.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 1203/01/2013

People may have been shocked in the auditorium but the production people were told not to light the applause sign so they weren't even sure if it was over yet.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 1403/01/2013

Well, Pesci said something along the lines of, "I woulda slapped herrrrr..." and the audience cheered wildly.

Michaels must have ordered the "applause" sign lit for that part.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 1803/01/2013

I remember Madonna commented around that time that it sure is risky to challenge people's belief system in that way. And I was like, bitch please.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 2103/01/2013

That's Harvey Keitel R19, not Joe Pesci.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 2303/01/2013

And I remember reading that when Madonna mocked it, she tore up a photo of Joey Buttafuoco when apparently his young daughter was in the audience that night.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 2403/01/2013

[quote]That's Harvey Keitel [R19], not Joe Pesci.

That's right! I always confuse the two.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 2803/01/2013

Why are the numbers all screwed up in this thread?

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 4403/02/2013

Being around back in the day, female and a fan of both Madonna and Sinead, I really don't recall this great hatred Madge had for O'Connor. And Madonna's reaction has been widely distorted, not least by slightly unhinged people like r66. All she said was something like I think there is a better way she (Sinead) could make her point and that SNL sketch. It's not as though Madge was Sinead's worse critic.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 7003/03/2013

Why even bring Madonna into this discussion?

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 7503/03/2013

Why is Madonna "inconsquential" because Sinead ripped a pic of the pope? These comparisons are truly stupid and have nothing to do with any of the issues now or at the time.

And, it's not as though DL hasn't expended enough of its own energy attacking Sinead.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 7603/03/2013

"Madonna's slutty Heidi look in the Erotica era..."

Jesus Christ, for the last time I was playing a CHARACTER: Dita Parlo!

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 7703/03/2013

Yes, let's blame Madonna because a few idiots want to bring her into every thread about a female performer just so they can bash her in their trite way.

It's more accurate to say that "this is a thread about Sinead", it's not actually "Sinead's thread". Although, as I pointed out before, most DL threads in which Sinead is mentioned tend to involve nasty attacks on her, so it's nice to have one that is a little praiseworthy.

R74, where's the evidence then? And, how do you classify someone as "people who actually know what they're talking about"? Does being around at the time, being a fan of both women and paying attention to what was going on classify one as "actually knowing what they're talking about"? Since you claim you do, tell us about it.

by Hurry, before Lorne Michaels has it deletedreply 7903/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.