Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Queen Elizabeth II "under observation" for gastroenteritis

Is this the beginning of the end?

by Anonymousreply 16003/05/2013

infection is one of the "seven deadly horseman" along with Cardio-pulmonary, cancer and UT problems.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

She'll be fine. Next.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

She cancels one official visit and you're carving the gravestone.

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2013

She still needs to rule two more years in order to beat her great grandmother Victoria's record of longest ruling monarch!

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2013

It's gastroenteranus. Queenie likes it up the backdoor, but Phils was too rough and she got a lesion in her colon.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2013

She suffered from Dienteritis for decades. If she can survive that, she can survive anything.

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2013

That means she has the farts

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2013

We are NOT amused.

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2013

Isn't that just fancy talk for indigestion?

by Anonymousreply 903/01/2013

She's always been in great health so this is cause for concern. It would be hugely ironic if that pig Philip outlived her.

by Anonymousreply 1003/01/2013

Victoria would be furious if Lilibet beat her in the race.

by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2013

Go away, windy ass!

by Anonymousreply 1203/01/2013

She has been queen for so long… mind boggling to me personally.

She ascended to the throne three years before I was born. All my life it's been Queen Elizabeth.

I can't imagine anyone else being the ruler of the UK.

Get well soon, Queen Elizabeth II.

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013

When the Queen finally goes, it's going to be like nothing we've ever seen before, not even Diana's funeral and public mourning. Like r13 said, she's been the Monarch for so long most people alive today have never known another one. Not to mention she's been the most famous woman in the ENTIRE WORLD for SEVEN decades! When the time finally comes, it's going to be massive.

by Anonymousreply 1403/01/2013

[quote]Not to mention she's been the most famous woman in the ENTIRE WORLD for SEVEN decades!

Uh, no, hon.

by Anonymousreply 1503/01/2013

The Queen is hardly a woman. She's been a harridan but never a woman. A woman FEELS. Diana's death devastated billions of people because she bled, she hurt, she FELT. Mary me for that statement, I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2013

They are going to have that bitch on every single machine known to mankind (a la Pope John Paul II) so she can beat the record. They will finally stop pushing her out onto that balcony when one of her arms fall off.

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013

Shut up, Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 1803/01/2013

What woman has been more famous, r15? And it's been seven decades from the 50s to now.

by Anonymousreply 1903/01/2013

r19, every decade has had famous women. She wasn't always the 'most famous.' There are people in a variety of countries who have no idea who she is, nor do they give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2003/01/2013

Diannur really hurt her mother-in-law. The Queen has a always taken her position dead seriously, and expected the same from "the girls". But the daughters-in-law embarrassed her and she had a hard time forgiving.

The speech she had to give was dripping with disappointment, almost as if she was apologizing for herself.

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

[quote]The Queen has a always taken her position dead seriously

Oh, dear, and we all know that you got your education about her from Miss Mirren. Give it a rest. The woman is an alcoholic, who's never had to work a day in her life.

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

r22 I believe you're confusing the Queen with her late sister, Princess Margaret, who most definitely was an alcoholic. The Queen has never had a problem with alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2013

I worry that the Windsors have turned the boys against their mother Diana. They seem like such cold men.

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2013

What would happen if The Queen died, then Philip shortly thereafter, followed by Kate miscarrying? Might as well disband the monarchy at that point.

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

If Charles and William croaked they would be in a bind. No immediate heir to the throne. We all know Harry is Hewitt spawn.

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

If William died, Kate would marry the volatile Harry who would dump her on incest grounds for a woman named Anne and their child would be the third Elizabeth. Oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

I would be very surprised if The Queen died before Prince Phillip did. He has one foot in the grave as it is.

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2013

I'm sure they have a DNR on him.

by Anonymousreply 2903/01/2013

No need to worry, though we are thankful. Just a little problem with the shits. They're no longer coming out rose petals. Oh well. Is it Gin O'clock yet?

by Anonymousreply 3003/01/2013

R24: Harry was always closest with Diana, and HE'S the one who has inherited her commitment to the less fortunate. As a matter of fact, he was recently in the news for playing with/ charming a bunch of blind children in Lesotho. Hell, he's also the only other Windsor-Mountbatten other than the Yorks who is still on good terms with Sarah Ferguson.

William has always been a snotty little brat and he got Charles' aloofness, while Harry got Diana's charm. You really can't compare the two.

by Anonymousreply 3103/01/2013

Gin O'Clock was 5 and a half hours ago, Betty. Sorry, you're a goner.

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2013

To be fair, he doesn't have anything from Charles. Harry is a great person because of it.

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2013

r31, Harry compared fighting in Afghanistan to playing videos games. I could smack him for such immaturity.

by Anonymousreply 3403/01/2013

r33, James Hewitt is not Harry's biological father. Harry looks very much like Philip did as a young man, and red hair is a Spencer family trait.

by Anonymousreply 3503/01/2013

Look at the first photo of Harry on this link (second link to follow)

by Anonymousreply 3603/01/2013

And James Hewitt here.

by Anonymousreply 3703/01/2013

Well, if she's farting, at least her daughter will pay attention to her.

by Anonymousreply 3803/01/2013

She's suffered from yeasty vagina for decades. I'm sure she'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 3903/01/2013

I have another vial of arsenic for Charles.

by Anonymousreply 4003/01/2013

Bloating, inflammation, terrible painful cramping, constipation and diarreah. Gastroenteritis is no fun. The cramps are often accompanied by vomiting.

Miss Queen is going to have to get on the metamucil/probiotics, and drink a lot of water routine. She is going to have to eat a softer diet and get rid of the red meat.

No more mutton, no kidney pies, no beef, no sausages the English are so fond of, or lamb, and no venison. Eat Chicken, fish, and stay away from most cheeses,especially stiltons, milk, and creme, no rich desserts and fatty foods. Fresh fruit is not advised either.

She should avoid lettuce. Steamed Veggies with a little olive oil,a roasted chicken and a nice yam. If she treats herself to a basic bland diet for the next 30 days, takes her metamucil, her probiotics, drinks water, foregoes coffee, and drinks green tea, she should find herself in good condition.

It is important to deal with the inflammation by treating the colon to a little rest. But she must exercise. I say once around Buckingham Palace should do it. Walking is really a wonderful thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 4103/01/2013

R20, please list your women who have been more famous than Queen Elizabeth over the past several decades. We've done this thread before, and the general consensus was that for sheer visibility (ie - knowing who she is just by her picture), nobody really beats QE2. The long reach of the British Commonwealth alone assures that.

by Anonymousreply 4203/01/2013

Hope she gets well bless xx

by Anonymousreply 4303/01/2013

[quote]Harry compared fighting in Afghanistan to playing videos games. I could smack him for such immaturity.

Soldiers are usually young for a reason -- maturity is a liability in the troops.

by Anonymousreply 4403/01/2013

QE II has served the family business very well - the Brit monarchy continues to be very popular (read successful) with the Brits and, it appears, lots of Americans, and folks around the world. The young Prince Harry is a doll - his moms' genes and influences and memories (real or imagined) are serving him well- yes, some "youthful indiscretions" (nazi costumes, war=video games, nudie photos - well, these photos are ok) but overall seems to have a good heart like his mum (re: the videos at the school for the deaf, "I hope I make my mother proud", seems to relate pretty naturally for one born to "high station", etal) or at least to listen to a very good handler/manager. The Windsor/Wales baby will be a very popular addition to the cast and make QE II a great-grad-mum. Come on, a little indigestion for the Queen - give the gal a break. (For a little perspective on her, do yourself a favor and look up some video of her coronation - all good queens will love it - and imagine YOURSELF in her role at her very young age - and how well you would have fill the expectations and demands.) DISCLAIMER: I am not an Anglophile or a monarchist - just some observations gathered over a long period of time.

by Anonymousreply 4503/01/2013

Kate, dear, don't wander too near any stairways whilst alone. All it takes is one little shove...

by Anonymousreply 4603/01/2013

Given the number of coins her face has graced around the world since the 1950s, she's been closer to more dicks than Madonna!

by Anonymousreply 4703/01/2013

I had that two weeks ago and can I just say, for three days, every time I laughed, coughed or farted a change of pants was required. Not nice.

by Anonymousreply 4803/01/2013

R16, a "Mary" would insult Marys - including the Bloody one - if it were applied to you. Because you are more in the category of foolish, inaccurate, crude, proudly hysterical, ignorant rubbish, for whom even the Princess of Wales would be hard-pressed to "FEEL" any sympathy or regard.

But you're not interested in historical or factual accuracy, are you, you noxious little cunt?

by Anonymousreply 4903/01/2013

It's going to be interesting watchig her try to pull off fall colors (brown, orange, yellow) in the spring. But it's better one be safe than sorry.

by Anonymousreply 5003/01/2013

When the time comes, people aren't going to be sobbing and carrying on over Elizabeth's passing they way they were with Diana. Diana's was completely unexpected and shocking. With the Queen, it will be more of "she lived a good and long life" type of view.

Also, the Queen has always been aloof and distant. She never was as accessible as Diana was to the public. There's respect and adoration to an extent, but nowhere near what Diana had. She's just never been that interesting of a public figure. Her mother was much more of an eccentric and peculiar character who had her own unique charm.

by Anonymousreply 5103/01/2013

r49, Diana was never about the FACTS as well you know. You insipid self righteous bastard.

by Anonymousreply 5203/01/2013

No immediate heir?

If Charles, William, and Harry, and baby Wills all croaked, Beatrice would eventually be Queen. True story.

by Anonymousreply 5303/01/2013

Dunce at r13, the Queen is not the "ruler" of the UK, she is the head of state, which is a ceremonial position. The UK is not "ruled" by anyone but it does elect a government.

R25, then Charles would still ascend to the throne.

R36, etc. two men with reddish hair smiling from profile. There are 100s of other pics of James Hewitt where he looks nothing like Harry.

by Anonymousreply 5403/01/2013

I sent my friend the Queen a get well card today, R54, and in it, I asked her to have you thrown into the Tower of London so the Beef Eaters can make a meal of you, you insolent cow!

by Anonymousreply 5503/01/2013

That's how my elderly aunt died. 92 years old, lived independently, seemed destined to pass 100. Started vomiting, then diarrhea. Admitted to hospital and all downhill from there.

Well, the queen will have better medical care than my aunt nd will not be hospitalized unless surgery is needed.

by Anonymousreply 5603/01/2013

I don't care what story the Royals have put out; Harry is JH's son. He has his father's nose and jawline, not chubby Uncle Charles Spencer's. HRH Charles was reportedly displeased when he saw Harry's red hair; I doubt he would have been so if he thought it was merely Spencer-red.

But for the record: Prince Charles is not "aloof" in the least. He has always been willing to participate in whatever indigenous ritual he's been invited to, complete with costume/headdress/etc. In 1976, he founded the charity Prince's Trust. It was only during his years with Diana that he paled in comparison, and who among us would not have?

by Anonymousreply 5703/01/2013

[quote] Isn't that just fancy talk for indigestion?

No, it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 5803/01/2013

I hope when Betty Windsor shuffles off the mortal coil we Canadians can get rid of the monarchy once and for all. I'd love to have a Canadian Head of State, rather than some English woman. Birth doesn't determine worth. I hate the fact these morons who are descended from thieves, murderers, and rapists consider themselves to be "better than us."

I've no wish to see Charlie Tampon or his son, Seabiscuit on the throne. Seabiscuit and Waity Katie, by the way, are on yet another holiday.

This is the 21st century - all monarchies should go. Anyone who is a monarchist is a fucking moron.

That said, I do like Anne. At least she works.

by Anonymousreply 5903/01/2013

Does anyone know how Queen Elizabeth referred to her mother within the family, with no servants around?

by Anonymousreply 6003/01/2013

Diana was the most beloved human being in the world, her loss was shocking and devastating. She should have been with us for another 50 years.

When Queen Elizabeth goes, it won't be shocking or devastating and people won't be saying that she should been around for another 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 6103/01/2013

Camilla, we should talk.

by Anonymousreply 6203/01/2013

I'm not surprised Kate is on yet another holiday. Doing nothing is absolutely daunting!

by Anonymousreply 6303/01/2013

I couldn't disagree more r61. The loss of QEII will be devastating for many of us. She's been a part of my life for 71 years. I'm not a Brit, but I still think of her as our Queen. The woman is amazing and has worked more hours than the majority of the people alive on this earth. Few 86 year olds put in a daily 10 or 12 hours as Elizabeth does.

by Anonymousreply 6403/01/2013

I will definitely shed a tear for ER2. I like her. Anyone who claims she is aloof and cold hasn't seen her in action. You Tube has loads of videos of her chatting, dancing, running around, and she's adorable.

I'm also impressed by her obvious love and devotion to William and Harry. When she visited William, and he brought her around showing her various helicopters, it was very sweet.

She & Diana didn't get along. No secret. Charles treated Diana terribly, but Diana was noteasy to get along with. She was a very willful, self-centered, extremely emotional young woman. She had no sense of duty and no self discipline.

In any event, while I did adore Diana, I love ER2 and will miss her.

by Anonymousreply 6503/01/2013

"Mummy", R60. There's a video clip on YouTube where she is in earshot of a cameraman while she's animated with delight that her horse won at a race, she can be heard very clearly saying "mummy". The Queen Mother actually comes off as the stiffer one in the video, despite the public notion of her being warm and down to Earth. Apparently, the Queen Mother was of the Barbara Bush variety, seemingly warm and grandmotherly on the surface but a bitch behind the facade.

by Anonymousreply 6603/01/2013

Diana had no sense of duty? So all of the charity work she did, including with those living with HIV at a time when NO ONE would even touch an AIDS patient, was what? A facade?

by Anonymousreply 6703/01/2013

QEII is Ok, it's that hideous creature Camilla that needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 6803/01/2013

I assume they know the sex of baby Wills by now?

by Anonymousreply 6903/01/2013

R36/37, Harry looks and sounds so much like Prince Philip it's scary. Maybe Prince Philip is his dad.

by Anonymousreply 7003/01/2013

Harry is a ginger, he's likely the son of Sarah Ferguson. I'm sure Sarah who is afraid of penises, swapped the boy for one of Diana's girls.

So with Harry out the way, that puts Andrew as the new king. That means Sarah will bring her mooching ass into the palace.

Why doesn't that gangling hulking ginger bitch get a job instead of living off of Andrew. I hater her more than the time the fat girl on Facts of Life was jealous of the negro chick for getting her part in South Pacific

by Anonymousreply 7103/02/2013

When the Queen dies, it will be a huge, huge thing. The thing about her that many Americans forget is that Hitler once referred to Elizabeth as "the most dangerous woman in the world." He hated the Royal Family and planned to publicly execute all of them--including the teenaged princesses--with Winston Churchill. The queen's late mother was a WWII hero/stalwart, and their bravery and optimism during the war made a world of difference to the average Brit. I think that feeling is still deeply ingrained there, and her death will an enormous loss to their national identity.

by Anonymousreply 7203/02/2013

R60, as r66 says, Queen Elizabeth referred to her mother as "mummy" even with the tv cameras around, and even when she was in her 60s and had been queen for about 40 years. See link.

R59, like the Australians, it's up to the Canadians themselves to decide whether you want the Queen or not. Your compatriots seem to have decided to keep the monarchy.

by Anonymousreply 7303/02/2013

I love watching these videos of the less formal Queen. Her hat with that pink bow was so Queenish.

by Anonymousreply 7403/02/2013

[quote] Diana was the most beloved human being in the world, her loss was shocking and devastating. She should have been with us for another 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 7503/02/2013

I don't subscribe to the Diana worship. I loved Princess Di, but she wasn't some helpless pawn who escaped the Evil Kingdom. She participated in her own mess. Her husband cheated on her. His family wasn't supportive. But after the divorce she was the architect of her own life.

by Anonymousreply 7603/02/2013

R4, Victoria is Lillbet's great-GREAT grandmother. She's not that old.

by Anonymousreply 7703/02/2013

It won't of course be such an emotional shock as Diana's passing, but it will be a momentous historical occasion.

The Queen embodies Great Britain's post-war history, a time of immense change, some of it reflected in her family.

Historians are already writing about The New Elizabethans, as though a huge age is inevitably winding down, and is now more visible with relative perspective.

I certainly hope The Queen comfortably overlaps Victoria's reigning record. She deserves it! Long live The Queen.

by Anonymousreply 7803/02/2013

Which was why her life was a lot more stable after the divorce R76.

She got her shit together and moved on with her life.

by Anonymousreply 7903/02/2013

I know it's wrong, but I'm looking forward to the coronation of Charles III.

Especially since the last one was over 60 years ago!

Love a bit of theatre. And you can't beat an army of peers and peeresses in their ancestral tiaras, robes and coronets for that.

Vivat Regina! Vivat Regina ex Cathedra!

by Anonymousreply 8003/02/2013

If it had not been for the Helen Mirren movie, history would have immortalized QEII for reigning over the Mod 60s, Beatles-Brit invasion and the 1969 family documentary. She would have become 25-40 again in the public consciousness and revered for being the first modern monarch.

Now, I think Diana really won and she is frozen in time as the 71-year old apologizing for her one mis-step post Parisian car crash.

by Anonymousreply 8103/02/2013

I like the old broad. She doesn't take crap from anyone.

by Anonymousreply 8203/02/2013

[quote] That said, I do like Anne. At least she works

What does she do?

by Anonymousreply 8303/02/2013

Wikipedia on Anne:

"The seventh holder of the title Princess Royal, Anne is known for her charitable work, being the patron of over 200 organisations, and she carries out about 500 royal engagements and public appearances per year......The Princess Royal carries out a full schedule of royal engagements and is involved with over 200 charities and organisations in an official capacity. She works extensively for Save the Children, of which she has been president since 1970, and she initiated The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in 1991; her work for the charity takes her all over the world, including many poverty stricken African nations. She is also the Royal Patron of WISE, an organisation that encourages young women to pursue careers in science, engineering and construction.[25] Her extensive work for St. John Ambulance as Commandant-in-Chief of St. John Ambulance Cadets has helped to develop many young people, as she annually attends the Grand Prior Award Reception. She is also a British representative in the International Olympic Committee as an administrator, and is a member of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games."

by Anonymousreply 8403/02/2013

Thank you r66 and r73 --

So QEII calls her mother "mummy" in their conversations.

Now how does everyone else in the Queen's immediate family refer to her?

-- For instance, how does Prince Philip refer to his mother-in-law when speaking to his wife the Queen and the Queen Mother is not present?

-- If the Queen wanted one of her children to take something to her mother in the next room, what would she would say, exactly, e.g., "Here Anne, take this newspaper to ________?"

Do either of you know?

by Anonymousreply 8503/02/2013

I read an interview with QEII's granddaughter Zara who said that when she wanted to talk to her grandmother, she just picked up the phone and said, "Hello, Gran!"

She always curtsies in person, however.

by Anonymousreply 8603/02/2013

As I recall, Charles has twice on big public occasions (Golden and Diamond Jubilees) referred to his mother (having first called her Your Royal Highness or similar) as 'Mummy.'

by Anonymousreply 8703/02/2013

I realized Queen Mother is dead, so forgive my verb tenses.

by Anonymousreply 8803/02/2013

William calls her Gran too.

"After greeting his grandmother with a cheery “Hello Gran” and polite kiss, he noted that the Queen’s bright red hat was ready for take-off in the 50 mph winds, reports the U.K.’s Daily Record. “Have you still got your hat?” he said to the Queen as she arrived, and kissed her on the cheek. He then showed the Queen and Prince an RAF Sea King helicopter and told her about his job."

by Anonymousreply 8903/02/2013

Hardly a nec. life threatening disease and something - without knowing more - a great many people have at one time or another.

by Anonymousreply 9003/02/2013

[quote]Diana was the most beloved human being in the world, her loss was shocking and devastating. She should have been with us for another 50 years.

That's how you felt about her, R61. Not all of us were so impressed.

I always felt a little sorry for her because she may have expected a happier, more glamorous and less restricted life than she married into. It must have been a cold and lonely environment for a young woman. She was probably in way over her head with a disinterested and generally horrible husband who had no intention of giving up his mistress and the old palace guard who watched her every movement and considered it their responsibility to keep her in line.

However, I saw her charity work as pure P.R., and probably required as part of her position. I also thought she came across as being less than genuine most of the time.

I believe the death of the Queen will have far more impact on her subjects. I might feel differently if the few English people I know didn't despise Diana and cherish Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 9103/02/2013

I liked so much about Diana so I'm not saying this to be critical of the response to her, but when the Queen goes, it will be a quiet, restrained affair with probably a massive turnout to see the coffin in Westminster Hall, the way it's always done.

Diana owned people's hearts and emotions, the Queen commands their respect and affection. The Queen will get a massive turnout at her funeral but I think it will be very restrained and respectful for a job well done. Also, when the Queen goes, there will be no shock... she'll be a terribly old lady by that point.

by Anonymousreply 9203/02/2013

Don't you find it the heighth of irony that I ended up with it all. I just tickles me.

by Anonymousreply 9303/02/2013

Charles should abdicate for William. The world needs a virile young king and fertile queen.

by Anonymousreply 9403/02/2013

[quote]She'll be fine. Next.

by Anonymousreply 9503/02/2013

[quote] The world needs a virile young king and fertile queen.

by Anonymousreply 9603/02/2013

[quote]William calls her Gran too

Why shouldn't he. He's gonna be king and all she'll ever be is queen.

And everyone knows it's better to be king than queen.

by Anonymousreply 9703/03/2013

R20, there's no need to sound like such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 9803/03/2013

What ridiculous nonsense, R97. There's no guarantee that William will be King - no one can foretell the future. He could die prematurely before he gets the chance.

What IS a fact right now though is that Elizabeth HAS gotten to be Queen for the past 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 9903/03/2013

Are you serious? It's better to be the Queen. There are jewels. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 10003/03/2013

England has had much better Queens Regnant than Kings. Elizabeth I, Victoria and Elizabeth II. The only vile one was Bloody Mary.

by Anonymousreply 10103/03/2013

R101 is correct. England's Queens have been an exemplary lot on the whole. There have not been that many Kings of note in recent history except perhaps for George VI during World War II.

by Anonymousreply 10203/03/2013

Bloody Mary got bad press from her sister and the Protestant monarchs who followed. She was no worse than Elizabeth I, who was a supreme cuntess in her own right. Them most useless female monarch was Mary II, who had to have her gay husband William of Orange take the throne with her.

by Anonymousreply 10303/03/2013

Absolute nonsense, R103 - Queen Mary was an absolute disaster who had no ability to govern England. She was unable to resolve the religious conflicts or establish England as a power in its own right. She left the country divided and bankrupt when Elizabeth took over.

Elizabeth was able to hold off the Spanish, the French and the Scottish and establish England as the most powerful country in Europe by the end of her reign. She possessed a political acumen that her sister could only dream of.

by Anonymousreply 10403/03/2013

[quote] . We all know Harry is Hewitt spawn

No. He takes after the Spencers. Go look it up.

by Anonymousreply 10503/03/2013

[quote]Harry is JH's son. He has his father's nose and jawline

Explain Harry's ears then.

by Anonymousreply 10603/03/2013

It might be fever, it might be flu

To isolate it, we'll have to hold you

Overnight for observation

In my opinion, all we can do

To isolate it, we'll have to hold you

Overnight for observation, hold you overnight

by Anonymousreply 10703/03/2013

Her mother lived to be 101. I'm sure she'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 10803/03/2013

R108, the Queen Mother didn't have the stress and strain of coping with affairs of State as a reigning monarch does. Besides, the age of your parents at their deaths is no reliable indicator of your own life expectancy. My grandmother lived to be 94 and none of her seven children came close to achieving that age.

by Anonymousreply 10903/03/2013

[quote]Elizabeth I, Victoria and Elizabeth II. The only vile one was Bloody Mary.

You've left out Mary II and Anne.

btw, Mary I only ruled for three years before she died of cancer. Elizabeth I ruled for more than 42 years. It's hardly fair to compare them given the difference in the spans of their reigns. here's no telling what Mary I might have accomplished had she lived as long as her sister.

Moreover, as someone said above, every historian knows the "Bloody Mary" sobriquet is ridiculously unfair--she did not kill as many Protestants as her father and brother killed Catholics; yet we call her "Bloody Mary" instead of calling them "Bloody Henry" and "Bloody Edward" only because the Protestants in the UK wrote the histories.

by Anonymousreply 11003/03/2013

Mary wasn't concerned with ruling England, she was concerned with re-instating Catholicism and Papal worship in some vainglorious attempt to avenge her mother's humiliation and banishment by her father.

In the process she had hundreds of her citizens burned at the stake and she married the King of Spain to solidify her dream of a Catholic monarchy.

She was also quite fond of trashing Anne Boleyn's name while she was Queen. She loved perpetuating the myth that Anne slept with her brother and that Elizabeth was the product of this incest. It was actually illegal to utter Anne's name in her presence, lest you wanted to take a trip to the Tower of London.

by Anonymousreply 11103/03/2013

Fair points, R108, but longevity of one's parents does often provide a genetic predisposition for long-life - you can even see it in the case of the Empress Livia and her son, the Emperor Tiberius.

Queen Elizabeth II also does a lot more in a day than The Queen Mother did at her age - which indicates that she's in pretty good health and stamina, particularly compared to other people her age.

by Anonymousreply 11203/03/2013

[quote]btw, Mary I only ruled for three years before she died of cancer. Elizabeth I ruled for more than 42 years.

I think it was 5 for Mary and 45 for Elizabeth.

[quote]Mary wasn't concerned with ruling England, she was concerned with re-instating Catholicism and Papal worship in some vainglorious attempt to avenge her mother's humiliation and banishment by her father.

Excellent summary. I couldn't have put it better myself.

by Anonymousreply 11303/03/2013

r101, don't forget about us!

by Anonymousreply 11403/03/2013

It's easy to tell that people like r97 are not from the UK.

by Anonymousreply 11503/03/2013

[quote]The thing about her that many Americans forget is that Hitler once referred to Elizabeth as "the most dangerous woman in the world."

He was talking about the Queen Mum, who was queen during WWII, and he said "in Europe" not "in the world."

by Anonymousreply 11603/03/2013

No radio station pranks.

by Anonymousreply 11703/03/2013

I hope she is feeling better because it would be odd and sad (and all too real) if the laughing, malicious Fates took ER2 before Philip.

by Anonymousreply 11803/03/2013

Had Mary I lived longer, we'd all be speaking Spanish today. She was a moron.

by Anonymousreply 11903/03/2013

Poor queen, it must be tough to almost beat Vickie's record and then die in the home stretch.

But we all gotta go sometime.

by Anonymousreply 12003/03/2013

Apart from The Queen and Philip, the Laughing Fates also have Margaret Thatcher scheduled.

How many back-to-back State Funerals could the Establishment bear? My dear, the logistics. It wouldn't do for a mere PM to pull focus from The Monarch. Thoughtful times for TPTB.

by Anonymousreply 12103/03/2013

Didn't Mary have Elizabeth banished or on house arrest or something?

by Anonymousreply 12203/03/2013

The Queen is at the Hospital Will those two DJs pull a prawn on her -Hello here is Kate dear, can I speak with Betsy,please

by Anonymousreply 12303/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 12403/03/2013

I think Charles will be a good king. He is an environmentalist and he has always had an active interest in agriculture. He will not be a showy monarch, he will "do the job."

I think he'll leave the showy, flashy part to his two kids. He will get a lot of underhanded crap from his brother Andrew, who's blindingly jealous of him. Andrew is not a nice person, he's a pig.

He wants to assure that he & his kids continue to stay on the Civil Lists, so he makes sure his kids hang out and stay close to his mother, the Queen, who is fond of the two girls, and stays close to William & Harry.

If Charles has his way, the Civil List will be trimmed very close. The backbiting between Andrew & Charles is historic. Charles will love thwarting his brother where he can. Andrew hangs out with some very unsavory types, among them pedophiles and deviates.

by Anonymousreply 12503/03/2013

bumped because this is the REAL Queen Elizabeth is on her last legs thread.

by Anonymousreply 12603/03/2013

R109 knows nothing of the reality of George VI's reign. The Queen Mother, while Queen Consort, was granted the right to access to the daily dispatches, consulted openly with her husband, represented him officially, and effectively stage-managed the entire reign, keeping a strong hand on his back while developing her own public persona and melding it with his seamlessly.

George VI wasn't up for the task but settled into it. Yes, he died young and the assumption is that his burdens played a role. Certainly Elizabeth, his wife, declared before witnesses that the Duchess of Windsor was "the woman who killed my husband." But a terrible tobacco addiction and chronic poor health played their parts, too, in his cancer, and if he couldn't take the pressure it doesn't mean that his wife, who actually was running things, didn't have any pressure herself.

by Anonymousreply 12703/03/2013

She's 86. She was probably infected with pneumonia within 20 minutes of being at hospital.

by Anonymousreply 12803/03/2013

There's no reason she couldn't have been given an IV at her residence if she was simply dehydrated. That she's been taken to hospital means her condition is worse than is being let on. r128 is right, a hospital is a dangerous place for an elderly person.

The Palace is playing this down.

by Anonymousreply 12903/03/2013

When was her last public appearance? How did she look?

by Anonymousreply 13003/03/2013

Prince Philip was in the hospital for a week at the time of the 60th Anniversary last year, R129, and he emerged alive and well at the end of it. They always do this as a precaution.

by Anonymousreply 13103/03/2013

Elizabeth? You in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 13203/03/2013

Thursday, R130. She seemed fine and was perfectly okay to observers. This is just a digestive virus that needed care to avoid her becoming dehydrated and faint or weakened in the 2-3 days it takes to get over it. At her age precautions are always appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 13303/03/2013

Phil convinces her to agree to anal after all these years, and *this* happens. Can't the old broad catch a break?

by Anonymousreply 13403/03/2013

They're not going to live forever. Within 15 years, maybe quite a bit sooner, they're all going to go: first Thatcher (state funeral), probably, then Philip (royal ceremonial funeral), then the queen (state funeral).

by Anonymousreply 13503/03/2013

[quote] This is just a digestive virus that needed care to avoid her becoming dehydrated and faint or weakened in the 2-3 days it takes to get over it. At her age precautions are always appropriate

How many times do we have to tell you -- rehydration with IVs could easily be accomplished at home. They throw in a PIC line and voila - rehydration. Millions of people have PIC lines and receive rehydration and antibiotics at home for whatever reason.

Admitting her to the hospital for IV therapy is unnecessary. There is something more serious going on here

by Anonymousreply 13603/03/2013

Poor woman, with her diarrhoea splattered across the front pages of the newspaper. What a sight!

by Anonymousreply 13703/03/2013

If they're saying it's gastroenteritis,that's sort of a generalized term even though it refers to a specific set of symptoms. There are any number of cuases and she needs to be checked out. My guess is Queen hasn't been drinking her water or taking her fiber and she very likely has a rotten diet.

There is every possibility she may have a bowel obstruction. Not uncommon for her age. My guess is that they want to do tests and calm down the inflammation. She may lose a few pounds, but she will recover.

by Anonymousreply 13803/03/2013

Apparently she gave an award to a member of staff today. Hope she didn't give the shits, too.

by Anonymousreply 13903/03/2013

No, OP, but it may well be the end of the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 14003/03/2013

Elizabitch hospitalized? Well, my, my. Bon voyage, cunt!

by Anonymousreply 14103/03/2013

The symptoms of gastroenteritis - vomiting and diarrhea - usually pass after one or two days, although they can be more severe in older or otherwise vulnerable people. Dehydration is a common complication.

The illness was first announced Friday, and Elizabeth had to cancel a visit Swansea, Wales, on Saturday to present leeks - a national symbol - to soldiers of the Royal Welsh Regiment in honor of Wales' national day, St. David's Day. She instead spent the day trying to recover at Windsor Castle, but appears to have had trouble kicking the bug.

A doctor not involved in the queen's treatment said that if medical officials determined that she is losing too much fluid, she would be rehydrated intravenously.

"Not everyone can keep up with oral hydration so it is pretty routine to go to hospital and have a drip and wait for the thing to pass and keep yourself hydrated," said Dr. Christopher Hawkey of the University of Nottingham's faculty of medicine and health sciences.

Britain's National Health Service says that the two most common causes of gastroenteritis in adults are food poisoning and the norovirus, a common winter vomiting bug which typically afflicts between 600,000 and 1 million Britons each year. British health guidelines advise that people with the norovirus avoid work for at least two days.

"It's very infectious and strikes in winter because people are indoors and it spreads more easily," Hawkey said.

by Anonymousreply 14203/03/2013

Aren't those British hospitals rife with bugs?

by Anonymousreply 14303/03/2013

The BBC World News Channel just brought up the N word-Norovirus. Her Majesty might be projectile vomiting as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 14403/03/2013

I visited my mother in her Assisted Living apartment because she was sick with that damned virus, and within a couple of hours I had it. It is no joke. You feel like you're gonna die and you have no control over your body. It's like a science fiction movie. Like Contagion.

If ER2 has the norovirus, everyone who touched any surfacein her vicinity will get it. Bukingham Palace must be a shit hole. Literally .Good thing Katherine and the boys are out of the country. Katherine wouldn't be able to handle it.

by Anonymousreply 14503/04/2013

She's going home from the hospital, per MSNBC. She did not appear to be waving in the video footage.

by Anonymousreply 14603/04/2013

How'd they get a ship into the hospital?

by Anonymousreply 14703/04/2013

Why whould she be waving, r146?

by Anonymousreply 14803/04/2013

Waving is in the job description for queening, duh.

by Anonymousreply 14903/04/2013

They're sending her home to die.

by Anonymousreply 15003/04/2013

No it's not, r149, they only wave at certain moments (from the balcony, the carriage) and in a certain style, they don't just wave when they come out on the street and see their fans. Especially QEII.

by Anonymousreply 15103/04/2013

The queen can be seen farting in public.

by Anonymousreply 15203/04/2013

R150, they're sending her home because she has recovered. It was a minor issue, as expected.

by Anonymousreply 15303/04/2013

I'm quite well, now, thank you. But in the words of one of my more sympathetic correspondents, it was an anus horribilus.

by Anonymousreply 15403/04/2013

Why is she in hospital? Doesn't the castle have a "throne" she can sit on?

by Anonymousreply 15503/05/2013

Mary Elizabeth Diana Amelia if it's a girl.

by Anonymousreply 15603/05/2013

This episode will be great publicity for my new West End play: I'm back as The Queen, and reminding you of all the Prime Ministers I've seen come and go. In every way, I'm Still Here!

by Anonymousreply 15703/05/2013

She's having a bout of the "shits", we all get that once and a while..she'll be well soon.

by Anonymousreply 15803/05/2013

Bomp, bomp

Bubble, lubba, lubba, lipton

Bubble till you feel the beat

Bomp, bomp

Joy till reach defeat

Bubble, lubba, lubba, lippton

Bubble till you have no doubt

Bomb, bomp

Joy's what it's all about

Bomp, bomp

Bubble till you're on your feet

Bomp, bomp

A simulated Holland treat

by Anonymousreply 15903/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!