Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lindsay Lohan Is No-Show in Court; Judge Refuses to Toss Car-Crash Case and Questions Her Lawyer’s ‘Competency’

Looks like Lindsay Lohan picked a good day to skip court.

The trouble-magnet actress was a no-show in a Santa Monica courtroom Friday. What she missed: a 20-minute pretrial hearing in which Judge James R. Dabney repeatedly shot down her attorney and even called into question his basic lawyering skills.

Said attorney, Mark Jay Heller, asked the judge to dismiss Lohan's case altogether … and that was met with a resounding "no." The judge added that any motion to dismiss the trio of misdemeanor charges against Lohan, including lying to police following a June 2012 car crash, should have been brought up during her arraignment, and now it is too late.

After Heller, who is based in New York and not even licensed in the state of California, continued to bumble his way along with some confusing legalese, the judge cut him off. Dabney said that the lawyer was "lacking any conformity to California law and this concerns me … You have not background as far as I know in criminal law."

But that did not stop Heller from trying another tactic. He then asked the judge and prosecutors to push back Lohan's trial … and that was met with a similar result.

"The city of Santa Monica is prepared to begin this trial on March 18," said city prosecutor Terry White, referring to the scheduled start date.

Undeterred, Heller tried to see if the first week of April would work.

"My client would benefit from the opportunity of having that time to pursue certain avenues we are endeavoring to pursue that would benefit her," for example speaking to young, underprivileged and/or troubled girls, as omg! has reported.

"Justice is always tempted with mercy and compassion," he went on, adding that he believed the court "doubted" Lohan's "worthiness" of mercy and compassion. Pushing her court date back would "enhance her ability that she is worthy of mercy and compassion."

Once again, Dabney denied the request and ruled that March 18 was still the trial date.

Shockingly, Heller then asked him what day of the week that was. (For the record, it's a Monday.)

"Someone needs to come in and assist you with knowledge in California law," warned Dabney, who added that by going ahead with Heller as her lawyer, Lohan is "waiving" any future claims that she is not being represented properly, since Heller, the judge said, is not "competent" in California law.

Lohan was not required to attend the hearing on Friday, but she is expected to be in court on March 18. Hours before Heller was in court on her behalf, she clearly was not concerned with her legal issues. At 1 a.m. ET, she posted a photo on her Instagram page of herself in what appears to be a nightclub with the caption, "Hair much?"

Two days before meeting in court, Heller had been trying to strike a deal with prosecutors. Although they were willing to allow Lohan to spend 90 days in "meaningful" rehab, she reportedly refused … believing that a lock-down facility is punishment, and of course, she doesn't think she did anything wrong.

So now, she is really rolling the dice. The three misdemeanor charges carry potential jail sentences ranging from three months to a year. According to the Los Angeles Times, prosecutors are "taking a hard line" with Lohan since she has a "history of repeatedly disobeying court orders."

Do you think she will get off lightly (once again) or have the book thrown at her?

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2013

Justice is "tempted" with mercy and compassion? I thought it was tempered.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

This little cunt gets away with everything.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

"My client would benefit from the opportunity of having that time to pursue certain avenues we are endeavoring to pursue that would benefit her,"

Pure poetry.

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2013

I was about to point that out, R1. The question is if he really said "tempted" or whether the transcription was incorrect.

I have a feeling Ms. L is in for a rude awakening.

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2013

LOL! The lawyer has a 1/5 rating on lawyerratings.com!

Here's a gem from a dissatisfied customer- "Awful, I trusted this man when he told me I would be released if I give him a certain amount of money. Instead I spent 3 long days at rikers island."

Lohan's sentencing should be interesting/

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2013

At this point I'm all for LIndsay gaming the legal system just for entertainment value alone.

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2013

Didn't her other lawyer dump her?

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2013

r7, Lohan assumed that instead of just one lawyer she would get herself an A-Team kind of lawyer army (or just one for the East Coast and one for the West Coast?) only to find out later that her current lawyer fired her previous lawyer on her behalf. And her previous lawyer didn't take her back.

The current lawyer sure must think that this is his ticket to (reality TV) fame and fortune, allthough as it looks now he seems like a total failure in regards of his profession as a lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2013

Love that the judge added the waiver.

[quote]"Someone needs to come in and assist you with knowledge in California law," warned Dabney, who added that by going ahead with Heller as her lawyer, Lohan is "waiving" any future claims that she is not being represented properly, since Heller, the judge said, is not "competent" in California law.

by Anonymousreply 903/01/2013

Is her lawyer related to Lionel Hutz?

by Anonymousreply 1003/01/2013

I wonder if Lohan bothers with getting in contact with her current lawyer or does she just look at TMZ or other gossip sites for updates regarding her own case?

by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2013

I know you are joking r11? But I had to ww because I wouldn't be surprised if it were true!

by Anonymousreply 1203/01/2013

How does she even have the money to pay for a lawyer?

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013

I have feeling this one will work for free because it will put him on the track to some kind of fame.

by Anonymousreply 1403/01/2013

[quote] "My client would benefit from the opportunity of having that time to pursue certain avenues we are endeavoring to pursue that would benefit her," for example speaking to young, underprivileged and/or troubled girls, as omg!

She wants to be a motivational speaker/ youth mentor. I'm not kidding.

She would benefit from spending a year in jail

by Anonymousreply 1503/01/2013

r15 yes, she would benefit from jail time in that at least she would be alive. I wonder if her fucking gross parents will try and sue the lawyers and judges who let her slide when she dies. I am about to send an e-mail to this idiots because she will die if someone doesn't intervene. Even the dolts at MTV knew they had to pull the plug on Teen Mom because Jenelle is out of control and they don't want to be sued for an od she paid for with their money. I hope they throw the book at Lindsey for her own sake.

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2013

Maybe Lindsay performs "services" for this lawyer, in return for representation. Surely an outside shot at a reality show wouldn't be enough to rake Lohan on as a client!

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013

Can someone just shoot this cunt?

by Anonymousreply 1803/01/2013

Is the new lawyer her new pimp who gets a cut from the profits for every new client Lindsay bangs? I am sure Dinah wouldn't be pleased at all about his deal.

by Anonymousreply 1903/01/2013

She'll flee the country before March 18th.

by Anonymousreply 2003/01/2013

She pays her lawyer with the nature's credit card.

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

They need to bring in James Deen as a character witness.

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

Unfortunately, I know Heller as he purported to defend a friend of mine in a potentially high-publicity criminal matter. With my friend, he offered to work for a low retainer but essentially collect from any book, etc. that my friend wrote. His work was so shoddy that he didn't even deserve the low retainer he received. Unfortunately, he played on the "I'm gonna be a star" dreams of my friend, who was so taken with Heller's razzle-dazzle shtick and promises to "take care" of my friend. I tried warning my friend not to hire Heller (and even read the NYTimes article about Heller to him) but got nowhere. Reprehensible lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2013

Can she please just take a whole bottle of Xanax and chase it with an entire bottle of vodka already, please? So over her.

Or perhaps someone could just kill the bitch. Not like anybody would miss her. After all, accidents happen every day, Dolores...

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2013

She deserves jail. There are so many things she's done that didn't even make it to court. When you add them to things she's been charged with, she should be locked up for several years --- but, once again, she'll walk.

Remember the fur coat she stole at a nightclub? She was stupid enough to be photographed in it so the victim of the theft saw her coat on Lindsay in People magazine.

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

For the first time, I feel sorry for her. Because she's got a shitty lawyer & isn't equipped to realize it. Perhaps she's always been a victim, but this time there's no doubt that she really is.

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

[quote]"My client would benefit from the opportunity of having that time to pursue certain avenues we are endeavoring to pursue that would benefit her," for example speaking to young, underprivileged and/or troubled girls, as omg! has reported.

That's a great idea! Of course she could use a few extra weeks to organize this. This is the first time she's ever had any trouble with the law, so she hasn't had the opportunity to try and do something like this yet.

That Lindsay - she's a giver I tell ya.

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

[quote]for example speaking to young, underprivileged and/or troubled girls

This goes back to Paris Hilton. As part of her "community service" she helped young girls with makeup tips and techniques.

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!